Apple exploring 'particle gun' based wireless authentication

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 36
    danielswdanielsw Posts: 906member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Russell View Post

Nice, have they considered the side effects of using this "revolutionary" device?

Can electromagnetic fields (EMF) from power lines, home wiring, airport and military radar, substations, transformers, computers and appliances cause brain tumors, leukemia, birth defects, miscarriages, chronic fatigue, headaches, cataracts, heart problems, stress. nausea, chest pain, forgetfulness, cancer and other health problems?

Numerous studies have produced contradictory results, yet some experts are convinced that the threat is real.

Dr. David Carpenter, Dean at the School of Public Health, State University of New York believes it is likely that up to 30% of all childhood cancers come from exposure to EMFs. The Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) warns "There is reason for concern" and advises prudent avoidance".

Martin Halper, the EPA's Director of Analysis and Support says "I have never seen a set of epidemiological studies that remotely approached the weight of evidence that we're seeing with EMFs. Clearly there is something here."

http://www.mercola.com/article/emf/emf_dangers.htm

No need to go off the deep end here, pal. We're not talking about powerlines and radar, etc. This would be more like TV tubes and probably a lot lower power than that. We are surrounded by countless EMF's, most of which are quite small and NOT harmful.

The whole idea is to create a transducer which changes inputs to outputs in more ways than just number codes so as to make decoding far more difficult (if not impossible)--difficult enough to satisfy IP owners that the DRM is effective enough so that they can publish with reasonable proof agains piracy.

DRMs to date have been crackable and therefore no proof against piracy, and therefore IP owners don't want to publish digitally. But if the DRM was proven to be effective, that would provide the open gate to digital distribution of IP.

The main argument against DRM as we know it today is its demonstrated fallibility against piracy. That isn't to say that publishers don't want an effective DRM. Quite the contrary. An effective DRM would open the flood gates to mass digital distribution of IP.

So if Apple can invent an effective DRM, they'll have a huge new product for thousands of industries. There's no moral or logical argument against a system which ensures that publishers get equitably paid for their IP. An effective DRM would thwart piracy, thereby encouraging all kinds of publishing and distribution of IP which would significantly stimulate commerce and therefore boost the economy.
  • Reply 22 of 36
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BeltsBear View Post

Reading wired causes cancer?

It will certainly cause your brain to want to explode/melt a bit.
  • Reply 23 of 36
    masternavmasternav Posts: 442member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Russell View Post

Nice, have they considered the side effects of using this "revolutionary" device?

Can electromagnetic fields (EMF) from power lines, home wiring, airport and military radar, substations, transformers, computers and appliances cause brain tumors, leukemia, birth defects, miscarriages, chronic fatigue, headaches, cataracts, heart problems, stress. nausea, chest pain, forgetfulness, cancer and other health problems?

Numerous studies have produced contradictory results, yet some experts are convinced that the threat is real.

Dr. David Carpenter, Dean at the School of Public Health, State University of New York believes it is likely that up to 30% of all childhood cancers come from exposure to EMFs. The Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) warns "There is reason for concern" and advises prudent avoidance".

Martin Halper, the EPA's Director of Analysis and Support says "I have never seen a set of epidemiological studies that remotely approached the weight of evidence that we're seeing with EMFs. Clearly there is something here."

http://www.mercola.com/article/emf/emf_dangers.htm

is the fact that there are so many variables to control in terms of field emissions. For example, each of the above cited sources have radically differing emission profiles and that is just in the EMF radiation ranges. You add in the field effect from sonic activity and you multiply the number of potential sources for the discomfort and malady that were cited as well. The level of exposure, the frequency of exposure, distance from source, and so on all have to be factored in. It is extremely difficult to develop an isolation process that can adequately address all sources of EMF radiation. Especially since the above sources don't even address the microwave signal technology used by telecom and media companies to transmit signals from their sources to distribution centers.

The field of sonic radiation has been languishing due to it not being a current "in vogue" research profile, but there were several studies that were looking at sub-sonic and super-sonic radiation and their effects on humans and animals. In addition to the usual visible and audible sonic artifacts from earthquake, there are numerous sub-sonic events that take place as well. The wavelengths are so long that in most cases they don't even register with normal sensing equipment. Scientists have only begun to speculate on what if any effect sub- and super- sonic radiation have on living tissue and organisms. In which case of course the standard foil hat will not work.

On the other hand there are so many other sources to consider for the litany of maladies above that it is difficult to isolate the causes for such a wide symptomology.
  • Reply 24 of 36
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mortarman View Post

OMG - does nobody understand elementary particle physics any more??

Of course we do, it's taught in every high school in the USA! Right before creationism and after the geology of this 6,000 year old planet we live on. Oh wait that's just Texas so far isn't it?
  • Reply 25 of 36
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iStud View Post

You can also be run over by a truck on the way home from work.

Despite of all those horrors you mention, our life expectancy is 75 years. Compare that with the 30 something of non-techological civilisations. I'll have EMF eyes shut!

So if I get two TVs will I get to 150?
  • Reply 26 of 36
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,096member
    This reminded me of an old story years ago about encryption using a lava lamp:

http://www.giantlavalamp.com/informa...to_Crack.shtml
  • Reply 27 of 36
    Nice. But what authenticates the particle gun?

Security is only as strong as the weakest link.
  • Reply 28 of 36
    bartfatbartfat Posts: 434member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sippincider View Post

Nice. But what authenticates the particle gun?

Security is only as strong as the weakest link.

Duh, the human! But who authenticates the human \
  • Reply 29 of 36
    jblongzjblongz Posts: 167member
    This too will pass as a listening(RF) device can be developed and tuned after reversing for some time. The packet can be interrupted by another reader and docked for examination. What has been done to complete success is creating a learning curve to the reversing process, also requiring at least $200k in tools. But thats a steal for some investors.
  • Reply 30 of 36
    welshdogwelshdog Posts: 1,898member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DanielSW View Post

We are surrounded by countless EMF's, most of which are quite small and NOT harmful.

Unless we test your assertion on a population in a parallel universe oddly devoid of EMF we can't really know that. We can make reasonable assumptions, but we can't be completely sure.
  • Reply 31 of 36
    ltcompuserltcompuser Posts: 219member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kresh View Post

It is that moronic "White Album" mentality that fuels casual piracy anyway.

I know what the "White Album" is, but I can't figure out what you mean by "White Album" mentality.
  • Reply 32 of 36
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Futuristic View Post

Didn't Arnold Schwarzenegger use a particle gun in that one movie?

Scary!

No, that was a "railgun". Completely different.
  • Reply 33 of 36
    tofinotofino Posts: 697member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleSwitcher View Post

Wow. This sounds like Star Trek tech. We will have to invent some other future, because our childhood's future is quickly becoming the present.

well, not quite. when i was a child i was promised a jet pack for the year 2000.

i'm still waiting...
  • Reply 34 of 36
    esummersesummers Posts: 953member
    Still don't see how this effects media. If you can output something, you can capture it.
  • Reply 35 of 36
    russellrussell Posts: 296member
    Is Apple going to put this "gun" in every shuffle, nano, iphone, ipad, mac, windows pc....
  • Reply 36 of 36
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gearhunter View Post

"Right out of a comic book!"

no your not. This person is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vFlSpM1cnvQ

And I think the iparticlegun is from this music video

Ah ha! I figured it out ROFL.