13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 48
    sippincidersippincider Posts: 410member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lowededwookie View Post

So do you have a vagina instead?

Seriously you're an idiot.

A flame from somebody named Wookie. Did you post that from your mom's basement?

As Meyer pointed out, how many devices DO people need to carry around at once? An iPad, iPhone, AND MacBook? Sure Apple makes great mobile stuff, but who wants to be weighed down with all of it?

Not to mention you'd look like a real clown if you did try to lug all that around.
  • Reply 42 of 48
    bergermeisterbergermeister Posts: 6,784member
    2 days 4 hours and a coffee break to go...
  • Reply 43 of 48
    jetzjetz Posts: 1,293member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lowededwookie View Post

I am a field engineer who goes all around the greater Wellington region in New Zealand fixing customer's PCs, Macs, and EFTPOS machines.

You are a "field engineer" who fixes computers? Didn't know you needed an engineering degree to fix a box. And you suggest the other poster doesn't do real work?

Just because your work is at a level that'll never involve serious computing power (or even an average amount of computing power), doesn't mean other people's jobs are less valuable.
  • Reply 44 of 48
    bergermeisterbergermeister Posts: 6,784member
    Can we get back to discussing WWDC?

Just over two days to go, and a new rumor is out that Safari will see a major update during the conference.
  • Reply 45 of 48
    lowededwookielowededwookie Posts: 1,143member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jetz View Post

You are a "field engineer" who fixes computers? Didn't know you needed an engineering degree to fix a box. And you suggest the other poster doesn't do real work?

Just because your work is at a level that'll never involve serious computing power (or even an average amount of computing power), doesn't mean other people's jobs are less valuable.

That's my official title. Clearly you're not someone who works in IT otherwise you'd understand the title. Besides, an engineer is really nothing more than a problem solver and that's what I do... solve computer problems be it maintenance or implementation. It's more than being about fixing "boxes" as you so ineloquently put it.

My work is "real" and in fact is quite an important one. Without us keeping the computer systems running the world would fall apart. We're just as important as the civil engineers and way more important than some accountant, or designer, or lawyer, or politician. Engineers run this world be it in whatever field of engineering. Making computers is fine but what's the point of making them if no one implements them or maintains them?

I only have one formal qualification and that's Apple Certified Technician and that's really only so that I can work on in-warranty Apple gear. Other than that I have no need for formal qualifications because those quals generally tell you what to think not how to think. Engineering is all about thinking outside the box and that's not something that can be taught. It requires the ability to see the big picture as well as the finer details at the same time in order to work out the best means of coming up with a solution to the problem.

The previous poster deemed the iPad to be a useless device because it can't do "real" work. I begged to differ and I still do. "Real" work is what? The original poster didn't say what they did and so only gave the impression that their "real" work had to be done on a desktop. Is it really so absolutely vital they need a desktop or a laptop for that matter? What do they do? Who knows but to make wild claims about a device they clearly don't understand is to completely miss the big picture. Sure, maybe their work does require a desktop and that's fine but don't ridicule a device merely because it doesn't meet your needs.

I'm not a desk jockey, I'm out and about all the time. Do I need huge computing power? No I don't. I need access to information. A device like the iPad allows me not only the access but the ability to clearly read that information. Knowledge is power and that's what my iPhone currently gives me but the iPad will do it far better with the increased screen real estate. Knowledge isn't power unless it can be easily understood and the bigger screen allows a better understanding than does the iPhone. Both are very important and both complement each other. I can get that with a laptop but I have to carry tools and parts to be able to do my job. My experience with having to carry around a laptop proved that a laptop is a flawed device in my role. I even went back to pen and paper until I got my iPhone and before FileMaker released Bento for iPhone. That's not an upshot for a laptop. Now my plan is not to upgrade my MacBook Pro but to upgrade my ageing Mac Mini instead using it as merely information storage and a VM so I can access our pathetic Internet Explorer based call system and just use my iPad when I get one to do all the work I need to do.

I need word processor, spreadsheet, and database ALL of which are available with iWork and Bento and even Documents To Go if need be. "Real" work can be done from an iPad so writing it off is stupid at best.

The WWDC is focusing on the App Store because this is the single most important sector at the moment. It's the highest growth market on the Mac platform as can be seen by the rapid uptake of the iPad. Apple needs to focus on that sector to get developers on board so that people can work and play where ever they are and so that developers can make money off them doing that. Sure there's the traditionalists but if history shows us anything the traditionalists rapidly fade into obscurity if they don't move with the times.

The iPad is a device many of us have been clamouring for for years and it's really only a few of us that understand that Apple is on the right path with their idea of the tablet. I knew once I saw the iPhone that that's how a tablet should work. It turns out based on Steve Jobs recent comments at All Things D that that's EXACTLY how a tablet would work. I knew the current crop of tablets would fail because they were based on flawed logic. A cutdown desktop operating system will not work and it failed to work for a good ten years before Apple came along and showed everyone how it should be done. 2 million+ people agree with Apple everyone from doctors and real estate agents to kids and 102 year old grannies. And people here are ridiculing Apple for making this WWDC all about the App Store? I can tell you now Apple's not the stupid one.
  • Reply 46 of 48
    lowededwookielowededwookie Posts: 1,143member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sippincider View Post

A flame from somebody named Wookie. Did you post that from your mom's basement?

Did your mummy write your material for you or was it your kid sister? Either way they're probably more witty than you.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by sippincider View Post

As Meyer pointed out, how many devices DO people need to carry around at once? An iPad, iPhone, AND MacBook? Sure Apple makes great mobile stuff, but who wants to be weighed down with all of it?

Right but a laptop doesn't make sense for all people so you'd still only be carrying around at most two. I have a MacBook Pro and an iPhone and I can tell you my MacBook Pro sits on my desk at work and I carry around what I need on my iPhone.

I do need a larger screen but as my previous post shows a laptop is a bad idea for my needs. I'm not the only one in this boat. Doctors/nurses, warehouses, salespeople, real estate agents all could benefit from a device like the iPad... and judging from what I've read about they are.
  • Reply 47 of 48
    With all this mad hype surrounding tomorrow WWDC 2010 conference. I predict the Apple iPhone 4G will sell 2 - 3 million units in a week.
  • Reply 48 of 48
    I was walking to work a day before and could take some photos when the Apple logo was added on the windows.

Have some before/after here. And some photos on the WWDC opening day.

http://www.truffleapps.com/blog

Anderson