Google Music planned as iTunes for Android, may kill DoubleTwist

Comments

• Reply 21 of 94
    jetzjetz Posts: 1,293member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sheff View Post

With all the Apple bashing at Google it seems that they are trying to replicate some of that walled garden approach that apple has to their platform.

What walled garden? Google let's you install what you want on your Android device. Even if they offer a service, they don't ban competitors. Did you read the article at all? It says that right in the article.

Quote:

Google shipped out Nexus One because no one could really build a good android phone. That started the HTC - Google partnership, which essentially delivered the hottest android phones to date. This be the hardware - software integration.

They did the Nexus One for many reasons. Chief among them is because nobody had built a stock Android phone in a long time. This was extremely important for developers. There certainly were decent phones in the pipeline when the Nexus One was announced...unless you believe that companies can whip out a phone like the EVO or Droid Incredible in months and retool their production line and start selling them just like that. Not likely.

Quote:

Google is moving more and more to controlled app eco-system, forcing its hardware suppliers to adhere to strict rules, tight collaboration with HTC, new music service so on. This is something microsoft tried to do:

1. It was the open plays for sure partner.

2. It became Microsoft only - Windows only Zune.

I think google might face a similar dilema in the future, and it will be interesting to see which way they will go.

If that's what you think then you have no understanding of what Google is trying to do with Android. They worked with HTC on one handset. It's long been rumoured they'll be working with Motorola on the Nexus Two. So they aren't just about HTC.

Next, there is zero evidence to back up your assertion that they are moving to a more controlled app eco-system. Maybe they should. But as of right now they don't even review apps unless users complain about them.

And forcing hardware supplies to adhere to strict rules? Where'd ya get that? They set recommended specs for each OS version. Just like you would on a computer. They don't have any rules specifying that they will not allow their OS on a dated hardware spec. Windows Phone 7 has these rules. Android doesn't. Competition works. If an Android OEM releases out of date hardware, their handset would get killed in the market. Google doesn't need to set standards.
  • Reply 22 of 94
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by karmadave View Post

I'm all for competition, but it would be nice if Google actually introduced a new, innovative product instead of simply copying Apple.

Can you show me where they copied Navigation, Maps, visual search (Google Goggles) from Apple? Can you point me to the Apple version of Google Earth or Sky Maps? How about Google News or Google Finance? Where's the Apple equivalent of those? How about multi-tasking or turning your phone into a wifi hotspot? Heck, how about basic things like the notification blind and desktop/home screen? Which iPhone OS version did Google rip those from? This whole copying Apple bit is getting tiresome. Just because you say it over and over again doesn't make it true.

At this point, basically it's copying if somebody decides to compete with Apple? Gimme a break. Do you consider a new sports apparel maker to be 'copying' simply because they set up shop across from the Nike store?

Quote:

I

Maybe Apple should launch an online applications suite, and call it 'Apple Docs'...

It's called MobileMe. And it's a flop....or should I say 'hobby'. Unsurprisingly, for all those that cry about privacy on here, it turns out that in the real world most people don't care enough to pay for such services.
  • Reply 23 of 94
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by caribbean_mac View Post

I'm so serious im gonna cancel my gmail account and get a mobileme account...

Make sure you don't go near Google News, Google Finance, Picassa, youtube or Google Maps either.
  • Reply 24 of 94
    stevetimstevetim Posts: 482member
    Quote:

I'm all for competition, but it would be nice if Google actually introduced a new, innovative product instead of simply copying Apple. Maybe Apple should launch an online applications suite, and call it 'Apple Docs'...

you mean iWork
  • Reply 25 of 94
    ihxoihxo Posts: 567member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jetz View Post

What walled garden? Google let's you install what you want on your Android device. Even if they offer a service, they don't ban competitors. Did you read the article at all? It says that right in the article.

Apple doesn't ban competitors from the app store either.

There are iBooks competitor in the app store.

There are iTunes competitor in the app store.

They do ban some apps, but being their competition never the core reason.
  • Reply 26 of 94
    Quote:

It's called MobileMe. And it's a flop....or should I say 'hobby'. Unsurprisingly, for all those that cry about privacy on here, it turns out that in the real world most people don't care enough to pay for such services.

I wouldn't call google docs a success. terrible UI. microsoft is eating their lunch and they charge a heck of a lot more for the service.
  • Reply 27 of 94
    pt123pt123 Posts: 696member
    Quote:

I'm all for competition, but it would be nice if Google actually introduced a new, innovative product instead of simply copying Apple. Maybe Apple should launch an online applications suite, and call it 'Apple Docs'...

Apple did copy Google, it's called iworks.com.
  • Reply 28 of 94
    icarbonicarbon Posts: 196member
    why didn't they call it gTunes?
  • Reply 29 of 94
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    My early impressions that online apps were inadequate compared to desktop apps has not changed.
  • Reply 30 of 94
    Quote:

This is spooky though ... from WSJ today.

Quote:

"Unlike Apple or BlackBerry maker Research In Motion Ltd., Google doesn't have employees dedicated to vetting applications submitted to its Android store. Google said it removes apps that violate its policies, but largely relies on users to alert it to bad software. "We check reactively," said a Google spokesman. "There is no manual bottleneck."

The article was in context to a bank app available at google store that they had to pull (yes google pulls app from their store too--but the alt press doesn't get hissy about it). Evidently it was a bank app that would have had potential to take some finance data from users. Article also shows and iphone developer was grabbing contact info from phones, but apple found out about and kicked them off. So apple let's some bad ones squeak by, but at least they are trying to stop the madness.

Bottom line, I want the security of that "walled garden". I love it that apple employee spends time to examine every app before it hits the store. This gives me peace of mind that virtually every app is virus free and cannot grab my personal data.
  • Reply 31 of 94
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ihxo View Post

Apple doesn't ban competitors from the app store either.

There are iBooks competitor in the app store.

There are iTunes competitor in the app store.

They do ban some apps, but being their competition never the core reason.

Except Google doesn't ban anything unless it's malicious. Android even let's you duplicate existing functionality. Can you imagine Google doing to Android developers what Apple just did to dashboard/widget apps makers?
  • Reply 32 of 94
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stevetim View Post

Bottom line, I want the security of that "walled garden". I love it that apple employee spends time to examine every app before it hits the store. This gives me peace of mind that virtually every app is virus free and cannot grab my personal data.

That's fine. Too each their own. In a few months, I'll have the security of the walled garden on my iPad and the freedom to install what I want on my Nexus One.

However, I was responding to the ridiculous charge made by the other poster that Google is moving to the "walled garden" approach. Nothing could be further from the truth.
  • Reply 33 of 94
    swiftswift Posts: 436member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by thompr View Post

As long as Apple has significant market share (and in smart phones, they do) and a healthy lead in platform (and in iPhone OS ecosystem, they do) I don't think it behooves them to make another platform so capable (in spite of the extra revenue they could score).

The only reason Apple made iTunes for Windows is because they HAD to in order to successfully sell the iPod to the Windows-using masses. Otherwise, the iPod would have been relegated to the 4% Apple fanboys (like me) and that would have killed any prospects it had of going ballistic, as it did. It was the ultimate Trojan Horse, causing some switchers via its Halo effect.

The situation is totally different with iPhone vs Android. I don't believe that you'll see ANY Apple software on a competing smartphone platform unless from desperation.

Thompson

Well, maybe the rumored iTunes in the Cloud will be part of that, huh? Remember, Android does not hook up with iTunes.
  • Reply 34 of 94
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stevetim View Post

I wouldn't call google docs a success. terrible UI. microsoft is eating their lunch and they charge a heck of a lot more for the service.

It may be the best (and you can best the Google gnomes are working at making it better) but it was certainly far more innovative than MobileMe. Anyway, I got the correlation wrong. It's iWorks that's a Google Docs competitor. MobileMe is more a competitor to GMail and Picassa.
  • Reply 35 of 94
    Quote:

Except Google doesn't ban anything unless it's malicious. Android even let's you duplicate existing functionality. Can you imagine Google doing to Android developers what Apple just did to dashboard/widget apps makers?

So Google's just an old, tired whore who takes all customers, huh?
  • Reply 36 of 94
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pt123 View Post

Apple did copy Google, it's called iworks.com.

Google owns the web?
  • Reply 37 of 94
    babaloobabaloo Posts: 14member
    I find it dumb how people think Google is "evil" for collecting data. Everything you use on Google is usually free. And things you type into Google, might be used to better target Ads for you. However no human is ever going to read the data, and even if they did, its all anonymous data so they would have no idea who's data it was. And the only reason Google does this is to make money, so they can provide the service for free.

So lets cut the crap about security, your free to use other competitors for $$ that don't use your data for ads. You get access to Google's great services for free. And if you think other free services (like bing) don't collect any data, your naive. You only hate on Google because they compete with Apple is some areas of the market. But remember if Google never made android, Apple would never feel any pressure and the iPhone 4 would most likely suck ass. Now it looks like its going to kick ass. Google making great phones is good for Apple customers, its good for everyone.

And you say stay away from Google services, yet there is nothing that even comes close to replacing them. Same thing with with Flash, people says its slow, buggy, compared to what? Nothing comes close. Silverlight? You got to be joking... You know they feel the pressure when Apple fans are suggesting Microsoft's products as solutions... LOL Lets get real here...
  • Reply 38 of 94
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iCarbon View Post

why didn't they call it gTunes?

I rather have them call it the GSpot.
  • Reply 39 of 94
    Quote:

With all the Apple bashing at Google it seems that they are trying to replicate some of that walled garden approach that apple has to their platform.

Google shipped out Nexus One because no one could really build a good android phone. That started the HTC - Google partnership, which essentially delivered the hottest android phones to date. This be the hardware - software integration.

Now Google is hiring a UI expert to synchronize the UI for their phones - another form of integration.

With Spotify Google is building a music store (because no one has made a good one so far) another form of integration.

Google is moving more and more to controlled app eco-system, forcing its hardware suppliers to adhere to strict rules, tight collaboration with HTC, new music service so on. This is somthing microsoft tried to do:

1. It was the open plays for sure partner.

2. It became Microsoft only - Windows only Zune.

I think google might face a similar dilema in the future, and it will be interesting to see which way they will go.

In all of the Google worshipping that's going on, the model they bring is Windows' climb to near monopoly. I'm not denying that possibility for Google, since they're pretty close to a monopoly on search and advertising, and there are likely enough hardware makers to flood the market.

Two things: Business isn't the unified win for Android, as it was for Windows. That could change, but they're not as far along with business compliance as Apple.

What evolved from the Windows monopoly? A platform that is very cheap, but virus-ridden. Remember the triumph of IE? They did it by making that browser capable of many, many things that they NEVER should have done, things that made IE a malware-writer's dream. Now the Android world has Flash. Have fun with it while you wait for that circle to turn into video and watch your battery go down. Good luck with cross-platform crap apps.

Beware of any business that is purely ad-driven.
  • Reply 40 of 94
    ihxoihxo Posts: 567member
    Quote:

didn't they just kick a bunch of Tetris clone out of the Android store?