Apple rumored to debut Safari 5 with Reader, Bing at WWDC

Comments

• Reply 41 of 74
    The HTML 5 stuff is nice, but doesn't seem worthy of a keynote.
  • Reply 42 of 74
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Good point, wrong browser. Chrome handles this the best of any browser.

And it's currently the most compliant and fastest browser out today. I see Chrome being a pretty big threat to Firefox as it matures.
  • Reply 43 of 74
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iPadWeekly View Post

The HTML 5 stuff is nice, but doesn't seem worthy of a keynote.

There isn't going to be an entire keynote on HTML5. If any HTML5 is included in the keynote it will be mixed in with a presentation of Safari 5's features.
  • Reply 44 of 74
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by frankie View Post

I really wish Safari would have an option to reload all your web pages after it crashes.

This actually happens to me quite often and always makes me restart my browser using Firefox, which of course has that feature...

Ooh.. I forgot about that one.
  • Reply 45 of 74
    welshdogwelshdog Posts: 1,897member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DanielSW View Post

This is why they restricted the HTML5 demo to Safari

Not following you. What do you mean by "this?"
  • Reply 46 of 74
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by WelshDog View Post

Not following you. What do you mean by "this?"

Apple created these demos to promote Safari, not to promote every modern browser using HTML5 and CSS3.
  • Reply 47 of 74
    londorlondor Posts: 258member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by frankie View Post

I really wish Safari would have an option to reload all your web pages after it crashes.

History > Reopen All Windows from Last Session
  • Reply 48 of 74
    We don't want Safari to be bogged down with add-ins. You have firefox for that (which incidently also the main reason I stopped using firefox. Too slow to load at start-up and you can't have all of them plug-ins at once or it will either crash or slow). I use web browser to read web sites and not need to be told what the weather is like at the far end of the globe or how I might need to see what's playing on iTunes. Leave Safari as lean as it can be and leave extra functionalities to the HTML code on the website itself. If all browsers are the same or follow each other you are effectively killing the choices.
  • Reply 49 of 74
    benroethigbenroethig Posts: 2,782member
    My wishlist things (most barrowed from chrome and firefox).

-Finally solve the compatibility preferences.

-Cloud synced preferences with Safari on your other Macs and PCs using Apple ID

-User Option between tab bar or address bar for tabs. I for one loved the Safari beta.

-Restore after browser crash with save tabs option

-Smart auto hide status bar.
  • Reply 50 of 74
    bettiebluebettieblue Posts: 294member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Splash-reverse View Post

We don't want Safari to be bogged down with add-ins. You have firefox for that (which incidently also the main reason I stopped using firefox. Too slow to load at start-up and you can't have all of them plug-ins at once or it will either crash or slow). I use web browser to read web sites and not need to be told what the weather is like at the far end of the globe or how I might need to see what's playing on iTunes. Leave Safari as lean as it can be and leave extra functionalities to the HTML code on the website itself. If all browsers are the same or follow each other you are effectively killing the choices.

Yeah Apple keep restricting us, because some people cant control them selves and install 25 plug-ins.

Or open up Safari, like Chrome, Firefox and even IE.

Wish features.....

1. Make an option to single click the URL button...you know like EVERY OTHER browser on a Mac or PC, INCLUDING Safari for Windows. I said OPTION, if some people still want to triple click, or click that small little icon at the front of the URL have at it. CHOICE IS GOOD (or if you dont use the an iPhone it is)

2. Bookmark tools. See IE8. In IE and I think FF, I can create a new folder when bookmarking a new page. I can even sort my book marks with a right click while the bookmark drop down is open....in IE. Safari bookmark sorting/organizing is a joke. Sure you can move stuff around or export them and sort them in Finder and re-import them....but its 2010 not 2001.

3. Give use lots of search provider choices.

4. Top tabs like Chrome.
  • Reply 51 of 74
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,860member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

And it's currently the most compliant and fastest browser out today. I see Chrome being a pretty big threat to Firefox as it matures.

I think that's Google's intent. I think a good part of the VP8 thing is to string Firefox along till they are completely irrelevant, then scoop up their marketshare with Chrome.
  • Reply 52 of 74
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    to nightly builds.

This is what they are adding:

http://www.w3.org/TR/ruby/

With this added and a new Safari Mobile, the Asian markets will be quite pleased.
  • Reply 53 of 74
    eluardeluard Posts: 319member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by haapum View Post

"Click on the new Reader icon to view articles on the web in a single, clutter-free page."

Maybe it's just me, but I think this sounds more like a description for Readability (or other so-called "mobilizer" services), which would make even more sense for Mobile Safari.

(Greetings to the forum members, by the way, from a long-time reader / first-time poster.)

Welcome!
  • Reply 54 of 74
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by haapum View Post

"Click on the new Reader icon to view articles on the web in a single, clutter-free page."

Maybe it's just me, but I think this sounds more like a description for Readability (or other so-called "mobilizer" services), which would make even more sense for Mobile Safari.

(Greetings to the forum members, by the way, from a long-time reader / first-time poster.)

I was going to say the same thing. This looks more like Readibility feature. I have used that many many times to read a clutter-free page, and especially for printing, when there are tons of garbage pages that Safari ordinarily would print, but hitting Readibility reduces that anywhere from 1/2 to 1/3 content., just by throwing out unnecessary frames.
  • Reply 55 of 74
    "The document also mentions a new feature, Safari Reader, which adds a Reader icon to the browser and allows users to view articles "in a single, clutter-free page.""

So Apple is finding a way to completely bypass googles main source of income. click ads. & driving more people to have to monetize their content by selling it book, app or magazine style through their stores. And website makers & content creators will jump quickly once they realise they are not making any money from ads

combine that with many people using flash to deliver ads & it not being available on all the iproducts that are flooding the world means an end to the ad funded internet

clever strategy & it will work. Apple can get rid of most of its competitors, provide people with clean ad free content & make a bundle at the same time
  • Reply 56 of 74
    insikeinsike Posts: 188member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The document also mentions a new feature, Safari Reader, which adds a Reader icon to the browser and allows users to view articles "in a single, clutter-free page."

I don't get it. Another icon, and it does what, exactly? Do we need this?
  • Reply 57 of 74
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Joe hs View Post

I hope safari 5 for windows will handle html5 as well as safari 4 for mac os x; in apples html5 showcase a lot of features don't work as well as on the mac.

Apple's "HTML5 showcase" hardly uses any HTML5 at all. It's mostly CSS. So why they called it "HTML5 showcase" is the question of the day.
  • Reply 58 of 74
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Don't forget Safari Widgets. Apple's take on web browser Extensions.

Widgets aren't extensions. They are separate applications based on web technology.
  • Reply 59 of 74
    erunnoerunno Posts: 225member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

A couple things that don't seem to be addressed:
    • WebKit2. Are tabs finally seperate processes?

Wasn't the project started just a 2-4 months ago? I very much doubt that it was finalized and stabilized before WebKit was branched for Safari 5. It's more likely that this is something that we'll see for Safari 6.
  • Reply 60 of 74
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

I think that's Google's intent. I think a good part of the VP8 thing is to string Firefox along till they are completely irrelevant, then scoop up their marketshare with Chrome.

Keep Mozilla from adopting H.264 so they can steal their marketshare knowing that H.264 is the future? Now that is evil!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Erunno View Post

Wasn't the project started just a 2-4 months ago? I very much doubt that it was finalized and stabilized before WebKit was branched for Safari 5. It's more likely that this is something that we'll see for Safari 6.

You may be right, but I hope you are wrong.