Full interview of Apple's Steve Jobs at D8 posted online

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 34
    postulantpostulant Posts: 1,272member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpotOn View Post

Someone who has enough money to buy two iPads and a MacBook Pro is certainly not in the MacBook market. lol, stupid.

I get it, Macbooks are for the destitute.
  • Reply 22 of 34
    isaidsoisaidso Posts: 750member
    Finally!!
  • Reply 23 of 34
    stevetimstevetim Posts: 482member
    Quote:

If Steve is going to forsake the personal computer, computer using people are going to forsake him.

Microsoft and Adobe would be very happy to fill the gap of his niche market share.

Public corporations ... if they want stock prices (and market cap) to increase ... need to talk about future growth potential. Buying PC's now is like buying a box of staples. Just go over to office max, or whatever and get out your credit card. PC's are no longer a growth industry. They are vital and necessary to business ... but investors care more about future growth opportunities than current success in a PC market. This is why apple is, per usual, brilliant.
  • Reply 24 of 34
    spotonspoton Posts: 645member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Postulant View Post

2 million + says you're not spot on.

And 1.5 billion (as of 2008 and growing) says I am, as usual very much so.

http://www.c-i-a.com/pr0509.htm

Apple is a niche computer maker in the world with about 10% market share and just forsake a line of their own computers for a limited device not quite a computer and dependent upon one, with limited storage to boot. No Flash, no Office and only a 1Ghz processor that can only run limited Apps from a controlled store.

Change the world? The end of the does it all PC? NOT! More like a "Jobs Folly" than anything else.

The iPad will have it's rein in the sun and later be marginalized by the world once it's fad wears off. Game changer it is not and never will be.

Doesn't mean Apple won't sell a lot, just it won't be a changer and eliminator of the personal computer like Steve thinks it will be. He's powerful and influential, but not that much so.
  • Reply 25 of 34
    masternavmasternav Posts: 442member
    Quote:

Someone who has enough money to buy two iPads and a MacBook Pro is certainly not in the MacBook market. lol, stupid.

You bring so very little actual discussion to these threads. I can only imagine you at D8:

SpotOn: Steve, why did you systematically kill the entry level Macbook line to build support for the iPads?

Steve Jobs: Ermmmm, you didn't see the iPad keynote announcement did you.

SpotOn: Stop being argumentative and a tool and answer my question: why are you trying to kill Adobe?

Steve Jobs: That wasn't your orginal question, and I've offered some very succinct responses to the the whole issue with Adobe's Flash development and performance. Perhaps you haven't read that yet?

SpotOn: That not what I said, and stop trying to put words in my mouth!

Walt Mossberg (off camera): Ummm, security?

• Reply 26 of 34
    postulantpostulant Posts: 1,272member
    Quote:

and just forsake a line of their own computers for a limited device not quite a computer and dependent upon one, with limited storage to boot. No Flash, no Office and only a 1Ghz processor that can only run limited Apps from a controlled

You're attempting to argue your own speculation as fact - and yet, you call me stupid. Nice!
  • Reply 27 of 34
    spotonspoton Posts: 645member
    It's all a Steve Jobs jealous play to sell more Mac's.

He's paying more attention the craPad and not Mac's, it's got MacHeads upset, they go out and preach the Mac and help sell hardware which hasn't been doing as expected since those damm annoying glossy screens came about.

Got it all figured out now. Master manipulator at work again.
  • Reply 28 of 34
    zoetmbzoetmb Posts: 2,654member
    I think it's pretty obvious at this point that there is a large percentage of the market who use their devices only for quick emails, texting, web searching, video watching, etc.

The future for those people is going to be iPad type devices.

For those of us who need more (and I include myself in that category), traditional computers will continue to exist, although with a smaller market, and you have to wonder how much innovation will take place. I don't think Apple is going to stop making computers (you can't run the SDK on an iPad), but I do think they will be a smaller part of Apple's product mix. So I think we're going to see some product line fragmentation in the future. This is how I interpreted Steve's comments.

The other issue is at what point will the iPad (and iPhone for that matter) become a completely stand-alone device not needing a base computer for synching and software updates.

Perhaps an ideal solution is a hybrid machine in which the "iPad" portion is the screen that snaps off to take with you when you don't need the full capability. When the screen is attached, it works off the computer OS. When the screen is not attached, it works off of the iPhone OS. Or something like that.
  • Reply 29 of 34
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    Quote:

Apple is a niche computer maker in the world with about 10% market share and just forsake a line of their own computers for a limited device not quite a computer and dependent upon one, with limited storage to boot. No Flash, no Office and only a 1Ghz processor that can only run limited Apps from a controlled store.

Change the world? The end of the does it all PC? NOT! More like a "Jobs Folly" than anything else.

The iPad will have it's rein in the sun and later be marginalized by the world once it's fad wears off. Game changer it is not and never will be.

Doesn't mean Apple won't sell a lot, just it won't be a changer and eliminator of the personal computer like Steve thinks it will be. He's powerful and influential, but not that much so.

Nice Ballmer imitation.
  • Reply 30 of 34
    markkmarkk Posts: 13member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

I wonder if it will be on iTunes. I downloaded the last All Things Digital he attended.

I hope so, or at least someone rip this cos I can't work out how.
  • Reply 31 of 34
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Good to see him still value-oriented and passionate despite the health scare. Go Steve! I have never been really, really sick so I don't know if it would cause someone to lose their values or care about them even more, or if it's irrelevant to that. I just know he looked well to me.
  • Reply 32 of 34
    cbswecbswe Posts: 116member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by quinney View Post

Quote:

Nice Ballmer imitation.

Agreed

On topic: Very entertaining interview. Wish I could get it in high-res!
  • Reply 33 of 34
    newbeenewbee Posts: 2,055member
    Quote:

Bull, Apple intentionally removed all but one of it's popular MacBook models for a line of iPads.

You don't do that to your product line unless you intend to eliminate them.

Pardon me, but I think your ignorance is showing.

If you're going to talk about portable internet devices (which you reference in your post #25), Apple currently sells 6 iPad models with price points between 499.00-829.00 and 7 laptop models with price points between 999.00-2299.00.

13 models between 499.00 and 2299.00 ... name any other company doing more ... just one.

So much for elimination! .... Lucky for you an IQ test is not a requirement for internet posting or you would have to find something else to waste your time on.
  • Reply 34 of 34
    Steve Jobs just talks common sense, simple as.