Apple unveils redesigned, thinner iPhone 4 with two cameras

1202122232426»

Comments

• Reply 501 of 507
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

I think you're seeing an optical illusion. Going by the measurements, it's barely any larger than iPhone 3G/3GS, about an 1/8" wider and 1/4" longer.

For a handheld product I think that is a significant size increase for comfortable usability. That doesn't mean I think it's a deal breaker, but I do think that the size and weight increase is a potential issue and a reason why we don't see more of these larger devices and why they have consistently shrunk in size as technology has allowed.
  • Reply 502 of 507
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

For a handheld product I think that is a significant size increase for comfortable usability. That doesn't mean I think it's a deal breaker, but I do think that the size and weight increase is a potential issue and a reason why we don't see more of these larger devices and why they have consistently shrunk in size as technology has allowed.

To me, it seems like phones have gotten small enough, any smaller and it makes it too small for comfortable handing. This isn't the Newton MessagePad here, which really was way too large.
  • Reply 503 of 507
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

I think you're seeing an optical illusion. Going by the measurements, it's barely any larger than iPhone 3G/3GS, about an 1/8" wider and 1/4" longer.

It looks a lot bigger, and some reviewers have made comments to that effect as well when holding it. I don't have large hands, I'm happy the iPhone 4 is slightly narrower.
  • Reply 504 of 507
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kallie View Post

would i be given any sort of guarantee for the hardware that i will gonna buy..

What are you talking about?
  • Reply 505 of 507
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Physical keyboard doesn't count either way, I guess. Most new phones are coming without one, so that's a "feature" but not a requirement.

Large size? What does that even mean? The EVO is TOO big. and now Dell has the Streak smartphone/fake tablet which is even larger, with a 5" screen. Too big for a phone, too small for a tablet. What will they thunk of next?

Cheap feel and low resale value is sort of an inverse feature I suppose.

Battery design. Sure, I guess Apple could move backwards to match that "feature".

There are quite many of us who clearly prefer a physical keyboard and the screen tilted so that there will be a good viewing angle. Hope that the iPhone next model will have this, or that Apple makes an optional model with such a keyboard (not likely, but one can hope...)
  • Reply 506 of 507
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mortenandersen View Post

There are quite many of us who clearly prefer a physical keyboard and the screen tilted so that there will be a good viewing angle. Hope that the iPhone next model will have this, or that Apple makes an optional model with such a keyboard (not likely, but one can hope...)

I say it doesn't count either way, because it's feature neutral. Some people prefer a clicky keyboard. Some people don't want them on the phone at all, and others don't care either way. It averages out.
  • Reply 507 of 507
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mortenandersen View Post

And some of us prefer a number pad with T9 text input. Which is why I never own an iPhone, or an Android Phone, or a Blackberry, or anything but a candy bar phone.

I love my Elm. And I love my iPod Touch for gaming and internet. I'll love the iPad. I'll freaking faint when I get my hands on an iPod Touch 4.