Apple announces open standard FaceTime video chat for iPhone 4

Comments

• Reply 21 of 85
    Facetime = Web Cam Chat WTF is so ground breaking here, oh I know we will change the name of "Web Cam Chat" and trademark the name Facetime. Cracking.....Well done lads heres a bonus....
  • Reply 22 of 85
    jamiecjamiec Posts: 42member
    I notice AI cleverly chose their screen capture from the sign language portion of the ad to subtly allude to the most obvious unmentioned use of this feature.
  • Reply 23 of 85
    corbucorbu Posts: 40member
    I really want to be able to "call in" to web cameras and devices that aren't necessarily another iPhone 4.0 (or a person for that matter). Would be a great way to check traffic cameras, the line at a restaurant, or even make real time news accessible to anyone by just "calling in" to a breaking news story.
  • Reply 24 of 85
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Here is a list of the protocols it's using. It looks like it's not using any Back to My Mac protocols, like Wide-Area Bonjour.
  • Reply 25 of 85
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tulkas View Post

Looks nice, but sort of surprised it doesn't support iPhone to Mac chatting. That seemed like it would a no brainer. Wifi only is disappointing but is understandable when they have to use AT&T as the standard against which to set the bar for network capability.

Hey, they're trying to sell hardware here! Give it 6 months or so...
  • Reply 26 of 85
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jamiec View Post

I notice AI cleverly chose their screen capture from the sign language portion of the ad to subtly allude to the most obvious unmentioned use of this feature.

What?! Sign language to video chat with people on a computing device? I have to give FaceTime a FacePalm if you think that is going to be common use.
  • Reply 27 of 85
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by YodaMac View Post

And what about FaceTime conference calls? Will you get multiple video images of all involved?

Probably not initially.
  • Reply 28 of 85
    owlboyowlboy Posts: 37member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Here is a list of the protocols it's using. It looks like it's not using any Back to My Mac protocols, like Wide-Area Bonjour.
    H.264

AAC

SIP

STUN

TURN

ICE

RTP

SRTP
    [IMG-]

Interesting, I never considered it would need to use something like Back to My Mac does to find the other people online.

This is prolly why they did not just make iChat, they don't want contacts and closed buddy list systems. Just to have it work.
  • Reply 29 of 85
    mnbmnb Posts: 15member
    Quote:

Looks nice, but sort of surprised it doesn't support iPhone to Mac chatting. That seemed like it would a no brainer. Wifi only is disappointing but is understandable when they have to use AT&T as the standard against which to set the bar for network capability.

AT&T has the fastest cell phone network in the US. Verizon has a wider area of coverage for high speed, but their high speed is much slower.
  • Reply 30 of 85
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by OwlBoy View Post

Interesting, I never considered it would need to use something like Back to My Mac does to find the other people online.

This is prolly why they did not just make iChat, they don't want contacts and closed buddy list systems. Just to have it work.

I'm curious how they will know which calls you are on are using the new FaceTime API.
    Possible solution?: Once you connect a voice call and you are connected via WiFi your device running the FaceTime API will send a message to a FaceTime server that will check your phone number against the number you have dialed. If that other phone also has the FaceTime API, is connected via WiFi it will have done the same.

If both numbers are paired on the server it will send a response back to each device which will allow for the FaceTime icon to be active on the display and include direct-connect IP info gathered from each caller by the FaceTime server.

If the FaceTime item is activated, it will send request to the other device directly, bypassing the server. If accepted by the receiving party, it will finish the handshake and initiate the video over WiFi while still maintaining audio over cellular.
  • Reply 31 of 85
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bettieblue View Post

The fact you need two iPhone 4.0 kind of kills the buzz pretty quick.

The whole event was kind of a let down. We knew most everything from leaks. In fact so many rumors did not come true it had a double negative effect of having knowing so much from leaks and so many rumors being squashed.

Safari 5?

Verizon?

iPad Printing?

Free MobileME?

Mac Pro update?

Mini Update?

Anything Mac/OS X update?

new Apple TV update?

Fizzle...........

So you are saying because Apple din't do what the rumor mill projected, its a fizzle. I wonder what company are you thinking of that runs their business based on rumors around the internet? I'll go with Apple's approach and applaud them for delivering features and products that they are certain will work properly.

If you live your life based on the rumors you listen to on the internet, you will be disappointed every time. How about focusing on what they did deliver. It might make your life a little better.
  • Reply 32 of 85
    bettiebluebettieblue Posts: 294member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MeCourious View Post

So you are saying because Apple din't do what the rumor mill projected, its a fizzle. I wonder what company are you thinking of that runs their business based on rumors around the internet? I'll go with Apple's approach and applaud them for delivering features and products that they are certain will work properly.

If you live your life based on the rumors you listen to on the internet, you will be disappointed every time. How about focusing on what they did deliver. It might make your life a little better.

Translation quit reading AppleInsider then?
  • Reply 33 of 85
    woodewoode Posts: 67member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ernstcs View Post

Can I call my Polycom and Tandberg equipment? That would be nice...

Do they support a video standard that was just announced today? If not, then no.
  • Reply 34 of 85
    appdevappdev Posts: 61member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

What?! Sign language to video chat with people on a computing device? I have to give FaceTime a FacePalm if you think that is going to be common use.

Well two things. In 1-2 yrs, FaceTime or similar options will most likely be a standard for new phones coming out.

Secondly, you obviously don't have any deaf family members or observed a deaf person trying to use the phone. This can really advance the ability for deaf individuals to finally communicate with others.
  • Reply 35 of 85
    woodewoode Posts: 67member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cheops2006 View Post

Facetime = Web Cam Chat WTF is so ground breaking here, oh I know we will change the name of "Web Cam Chat" and trademark the name Facetime. Cracking.....Well done lads heres a bonus....

I love it how everybody has been whining about not having a front-facing camera specifically for video chat, and now that Apple's given it to them, they're all "OMG video chat is teh stoopid." Whatever.
  • Reply 36 of 85
    I'm not looking forward to the first FaceTime chats that I receive from a bathroom stall >-) or from a moving vehicle. I wonder if you'll be able to record FaceTime calls... or leave video phone messages...
  • Reply 37 of 85
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppDev View Post

Secondly, you obviously don't have any deaf family members or observed a deaf person trying to use the phone. This can really advance the ability for deaf individuals to finally communicate with others.

Seriously? You can't think of a more useful and efficient way to communicate over computing device when your not in front of something other than a video chat doing sign language? How about this remarkably useful medium called writing. I bet i can write an SMS message to someone much faster and easier than making a phone call, then connecting a video call, then pulling the phone away to do a one-handed sign language to the other party. How can anyone see that as more efficient that writing?
  • Reply 38 of 85
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bageljoey View Post

In terms of WiFi only, I imagine it is not just AT&T, but networks around the world thar must be prepared.

The rest of the (GSM-A) world has had video calling for around 7 years. Admittedly at a much lower bitrate but the infrastructure has been there.

Quote:

I still have my doubts as to the usefullness if this feature, but I imagine the load on the networks as everyone tries it out for the first few months would be enoumous! This way, maybe people can get their yayas out on WiFi and then they will open it up when the load dies down...

I've used video calling at it isn't really all that convenient. Holding your phone at the right angle and height is tiresome, plus you need a headset to use it in public. It's never really taken off anywhere in the world.

I'm sure it'll find use but not widely.
  • Reply 39 of 85
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bettieblue View Post

The fact you need two iPhone 4.0 kind of kills the buzz pretty quick. The whole event was kind of a let down. We knew most everything from leaks. In fact so many rumors did not come true it had a double negative effect of having knowing so much from leaks and so many rumors being squashed. Fizzle...........

Quote:
    Originally Posted by MsNly View Post

We still have a week don't we?

No we don't have all week... This is WWDC it's a developer conference. Period, end of sentence.

The WWDC keynote (the 1st one only) IS the 'publicly' announced news that the world gets from WWDC. That's it. Yes... SOMETIMES it:

- Announces new laptops

- Announces new desktops

- Announces new iPhones

- Announces new iPods (?)

- Announces random non-developer related Apple news.

In seasons past we all but expected news about OS X and we were very surprised when non-developer oriented news was revealed (laptops etc). Over the past few years WWDC has quite clearly morphed into an iPhone and now iOS centric event where 'new iPhones' have usually been revealed. Where in prior WWDCs (pre-iPhone) hardware was almost never 'expected'.

If you were honestly expecting the entire laundry list of 'rumors' to ALL be revealed you clearly never saw a WWDC before... My advice search WWDC 2008, WWDC 2007, WWDC 2006 and see what they are really about. For an even better idea search WWDC 1997, 1998, 1999 or WWDC 2000. Those will show you some idea of what they are like and how every year people just like you post 'major disappointment' posts listing all of the nonsense they were expecting.

Not your fault... you just gotta lean how Apple works.
  • Reply 40 of 85
    benroethigbenroethig Posts: 2,782member
    Quote:

The one thing that really surprises me is that iChat hasn't found its way to the iPhone (and PC). I wonder if there's going to be a facetime app for the Mac in the near future.