Wall Street expects iPhone 4 to impress, boost sales for Apple

Comments

• Reply 21 of 42
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

I think the SIM is locked to the IMEI, so probably not.

I've never heard of SIM locking before. I don't think it's even technically feasible to lock a SIM card to a specific IMEI. Well, not without completely breaking the specs.
  • Reply 22 of 42
    Quote:

I think the SIM is locked to the IMEI, so probably not.

As mentioned in the link I posted earlier, people have gotten it working.

The big unknown, though, is what AT&T will do, especially now that the iPhone 4 has a micro-sim making switching sims even easier.

Will they allow this, block it, or charge extra for the data? I'm gonna try it and see if I can get it working, but very moderate use at first so I don't get socked with a large bill if AT&T decides to play hardball.
  • Reply 23 of 42
    chronsterchronster Posts: 1,894member
    I have a feeling the video chat feature will make this iphone a family plan favorite. Hell, even my parents are talking about getting one just from seeing it on the news last night. They even asked me if I wanted to buy one and put it on their plan. I'm still deciding.
  • Reply 24 of 42
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,950member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RichL View Post

I've never heard of SIM locking before. I don't think it's even technically feasible to lock a SIM card to a specific IMEI. Well, not without completely breaking the specs.

There was an article over on TUAW the other day about swapping a SIM card to a "new" iPhone 2G and they had to get the IMEI swapped for it to work without activating a new plan.

Edit, link: http://www.tuaw.com/2010/06/02/chang...-an-iphone-2g/
  • Reply 25 of 42
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    For growing adoption they need to address the plan cost not

just the data cost but the voice text cost

geeez WALMART has a phone

30 for 1k minutes and 1k text

45 unlimited every thing

I'm going to upgrade this fall winter I think they'll

be more competive plans and lower total cost
  • Reply 26 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chronster View Post

I have a feeling the video chat feature will make this iphone a family plan favorite. Hell, even my parents are talking about getting one just from seeing it on the news last night. They even asked me if I wanted to buy one and put it on their plan. I'm still deciding.

You mean the 'FaceTime' feature right?

From what I read about the feature, it only works on WiFi not wireless radio. That's why Steve Jobs asked everybody at the keynote to turn off their laptop's WiFi, which most of them didn't..

Although he did, however, pointed out that they're still ironing it out with wireless carriers as the feature will become an open industry standard. It would be awesome to whip out your iPhone 4 anytime, click a friend who also has an iPhone 4, and boom it's 'FaceTime' time.. As simple as that, no hassle. That's how we like it, and that's how Apple rolls.. *fingers crossed*
  • Reply 27 of 42
    rybryb Posts: 56member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kilimanjaro View Post

Every analysts are pouring caramel syrup and whip cream with cherry on top over Apple's upcoming quarterly sales estimation, this definitely make lots of APPL stock holders happy..

But really, iPhone 3G/3GS owners, are you really going to upgrade to iPhone 4?

Can't wait!
  • Reply 28 of 42
    justflybobjustflybob Posts: 1,337member
    Quote:

Every analysts are pouring caramel syrup and whip cream with cherry on top over Apple's upcoming quarterly sales estimation, this definitely make lots of APPL stock holders happy..

But really, iPhone 3G/3GS owners, are you really going to upgrade to iPhone 4?

Well, lets see:

1. No more penalty to upgrade with AT&T

2. I can easily sell my primo 3Gs for the same price as a new iPhone 4

So, why the heck not?
  • Reply 29 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by beakernx01 View Post

No, I'm not ready to jump on this. I've waited two years to get rid of AT&T from my life. I was a Cingular subscriber before AT&T bought them. I would have left then, but the iPhone was announced shortly after. I'll hang tough with my 3G for another year if it means getting off AT&T in 1 year, rather than having to sign on for another 2 years. Of course, I haven't seen the iPhone 4 up close yet. There's always the chance that I'll be seduced...

Good for you..

But may I give you a little advice?

If you want to see the iPhone 4 up close and personal, don't do it at an Apple Store. Better yet, see it by borrowing one from a friend who have exhaustedly used it and have scratches everywhere on its surface, broken screen, cracks on the edges, etc. You get the picture..*

It's like they have put some kinda spell on every Apple Store, so whenever you walked in, there's this strange warm feeling coming out from nowhere that urges you to buy whatever on the display..*

*Note: these all are just jokes, sarcastic? Yes, they are.. So sorry if I didn't do it right.. I was just surprised with 'Psych_guy' response below, I don't want to give y'all the wrong impression and had to explain (which usually beats the use of sarcastic joke in the first place)..
  • Reply 30 of 42
    psych_guypsych_guy Posts: 486member
    Quote:

Good for you..

But may I give you a little advice?

If you want to see the iPhone 4 up close and personal, don't do it at an Apple Store. Better yet, see it by borrowing one from a friend who have exhaustedly used it and have scratches everywhere on its surface, broken screen, cracks on the edges, etc. You get the picture..

It's like they have put some kinda spell on every Apple Store, so whenever you walked in, there's this strange warm feeling coming out from nowhere that urges you to buy whatever on the display..

Wow, dude. You're really hating on Apple today.

Why wouldn't you test drive something new. Presumably it'll be new when you buy it. Why hamper your business decision by trying it used? That makes no sense.

Just so you know, speaking to the qualityof the phone, I've had my 3G phone since day one and not one scratch, broken screen, blah, blah, blah.

Phone's in perfect shape. So if you want to try mine, please go ahead.

To answer your first smarmy question: I'll be at the Apple store on 6/24 to buy mine. I passed on the 3GS upgrade to get this one.
  • Reply 31 of 42
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,950member
    Quote:

... It's like they have put some kinda spell on every Apple Store, so whenever you walked in, there's this strange warm feeling coming out from nowhere that urges you to buy whatever on the display..

Yeah, they should have made it like best buy where you tell your wife to wait in the parking lot with the engine running so you can get the hell out of there as fast as possible.
  • Reply 32 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Psych_guy View Post

To answer your first smarmy question: I'll be at the Apple store on 6/24 to buy mine. I passed on the 3GS upgrade to get this one.

I did the same, can't wait for this one. Also to note, 5 family members have done the same, and this phone is so nice my wife is looking over the cost of getting out of Verizon and into a new iPhone. Add one more, then to the mix for AT&T and Apple.

My only question mark is staying with the unlimited data plan or not. Right now, I average less than 200MB, but I've used over 1GB before. With all of the new features, possibly adding video emails and such over 3G, I can see myself using more than 2GB a month without much effort.

I'd really rather not worry about going over a cap, and I'm pretty sure AT&T will let you stay with your unlimited plan even while renewing the contract. The voice side dropped $10 a month as well, so it's still a savings. Anyone else doing the same?
  • Reply 33 of 42
    kilimanjarokilimanjaro Posts: 192member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Psych_guy View Post

Wow, dude. You're really hating on Apple today.

Why wouldn't you test drive something new. Presumably it'll be new when you buy it. Why hamper your business decision by trying it used? That makes no sense.

Just so you know, speaking to the qualityof the phone, I've had my 3G phone since day one and not one scratch, broken screen, blah, blah, blah.

Phone's in perfect shape. So if you want to try mine, please go ahead.

Wow dude, you misinterpret what I was saying..

I don't hate Apple, instead I love Apple because it is one of the most advancing and cutting-edge companies out there.

In fact, I truly believe Apple has set an example for its competitors in the industry, sets the bar high enough for others to look up for.

I like everything the company has made so far, including the iPhone 3GS which I own right now. It is by far an excellent phone I ever have.

If anyone come to me and ask for an advice to choose the best smartphone available on the market, I'll immediately recommend iPhone. And if the person ask where is the best place to try the device, I'll without doubt suggest Apple Store. So then, hence the sarcastic jokes I made on my posts.

Maybe I didn't say it all in the right way.. I was being sarcastic from the first post in this thread, but I was responding to 'beakernx01' post and I was just throwing jokes there. Maybe it's because English is not my main language, thus I'm not so fluent about it..

Sorry then..
  • Reply 34 of 42
    Quote:

Yeah, they should have made it like best buy where you tell your wife to wait in the parking lot with the engine running so you can get the hell out of there as fast as possible.

LOL

That's really funny, is that how things happen at Best Buy?

I don't know cause there's no Best Buy in my country here..
  • Reply 35 of 42
    rhyderhyde Posts: 294member
    Quote:

LOL

Yes, that's how it is when you have to go into a Best Buy.
  • Reply 36 of 42
    dr millmossdr millmoss Posts: 5,403member
    Quote:

LOL

The comparison between Best Buy and an Apple Store are like night and day. The Best Buy stores are huge, noisy, and the salespeople are often pushy even when they know nothing about the products they sell. Very unpleasant. And I've found that women do hate to go into Best Buy even more than men.
  • Reply 37 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rhyde View Post

Yes, that's how it is when you have to go into a Best Buy.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

The comparison between Best Buy and an Apple Store are like night and day. The Best Buy stores are huge, noisy, and the salespeople are often pushy even when they know nothing about the products they sell. Very unpleasant. And I've found that women do hate to go into Best Buy even more than men.

These all are very revealing..!

Please, do tell me more about this..
  • Reply 38 of 42
    gimpymwgimpymw Posts: 45member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ilogic View Post

Not I, 3Gs is just fine, really what is the rush, next June, iOS 5 blows the socks off of iOS 4 at the rate Apple is moving. Wasn't there a quote recently from someone at Apple that through the aggressive updates they would leave the competition in the dust?

Maybe you should wait another year until iOS 6 comes out. That would surely blow away iOS 5... You know... if you waited to the year after that, then you'd have iOS 7...
  • Reply 39 of 42
    daseindasein Posts: 139member
    If you use this FaceTime thing, it sounds like you would want to be in the GB contract, not the 200MB one, no? Then again, it wouldn't matter on WiFi, but I'm guessing it would be lame under ATT's 3G system until LTE kicks in, but that's at least one more iPhone release down the road.
  • Reply 40 of 42
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,122member
    Quote:

LOL

Best Buy is very good at providing a horrible buying experience and the one thing you can be certain of when going to a Best Buy is not getting any assistance whatsoever.

I went there fully prepared months ago to buy an iPad that they had is stock. No one was there to help me. I asked other salespeople in the area that were just standing around playing pocket-pool for help and they just looked at me like I was interrupting them. I left the store after 15 minutes of trying to find someone. I just gave up.

I also had this very same experience a year ago when I showed up ready to by a Macbook Air. No one in the area. What a joke.

Unless I need to purchase a very specific item that is on a shelf without having to go to a salesperson, I will not be handing my business to Best Buy anymore.