FBI investigating AT&T security breach that revealed iPad owner emails

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 27
    dr millmossdr millmoss Posts: 5,403member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

It is amazing to see the number of hyperventilated, breathless, poorly reported, negative stories about Apple in the past couple of weeks -- iAd and Google, broken iPhone screen, Foxconn suicides, whether 326 ppi is truly 'retina screen,' wifi meltdown, iPad security breach....... it goes on and on. I know I am missing many many more.

It's getting to be ridiculous. Yet, Apple's PR still does not feel compelled to counter any of these distortions.

Time will tell if that's a smart strategy or not.

Speaking for myself, I am beginning to have my doubts on Apple's 'strategery' here.

Even if Apple isn't publicly responding to bad reporting, that doesn't necessarily mean that they aren't doing anything to repsond to misreported stories. I think the reporter is more likely to get a phone call from someone in Apple PR than Apple sending out a press release to refute it.
  • Reply 22 of 27
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SHOBIZ View Post

...hasn't done anything illegal..." OMG, are we going to do this AGAIN!!!!

We have a serious crisis in morality and ethics now days

Affirmative.
  • Reply 23 of 27
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by quinney View Post

omg, the FBI agent's name is Pack. Is any of this real?

Yup is truth, the e-mail of the Chief of staff was among other emails stolen. Senate members and other high profile people also.
  • Reply 24 of 27
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by plokoonpma View Post

Yup is truth, the e-mail of the Chief of staff was among other emails stolen. Senate members and other high profile people also.

You don't think it's possible to get the email for the Chief of Staff by other means?

I'm not saying it's OK. It's not - for a lot of reasons. AT&T should be thankful it was only email addresses that were discovered because ANY release of customer information is a really bad thing. If I were an exec there, we'd have a top to bottom review of security processes (actually, if I were there, we'd be doing that routinely). But, fortunately, release of an email address isn't the end of the world. Heck, you might even get more offers from Nigeria.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

A representative for Goatse Security told the Wall Street Journal that it 'hasn't heard from law enforcement and that it didn't do anything illegal, so doesn't see why it would."

Goatse and Gawker make a good pair. No concept of morals or law. I guess it never occurred to them that it sometimes takes a little while for LE to put a case together. Not to mention that simply because something is legal doesn't make it right.
  • Reply 25 of 27
    spotonspoton Posts: 645member
    The Goatse Security folks are going to jail, even if the government has to make up a new law to convict them with.

Surely they will plea bargain it down to something less, do a few years, and gain the free notoriety, book deals, movie deals and what-not.

Even if they can't profit from their crime (even if it's not a crime now it soon will be) directly, they certainly will be hired for other penetration (did I really say that?) testing.
  • Reply 26 of 27
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpotOn View Post

The Goatse Security folks are going to jail, even if the government has to make up a new law to convict them with.

I think there's a law against making up laws against actions which were not against the law at the time they were committed.

Also, I'm not sure Goatse is in the US, which may make it more difficult to prosecute.

That said, there are apparently enough related precedents that if jurisdiction can be established there may well be a reckoning for Goatse.
  • Reply 27 of 27
    Interesting details that didn't make it into much of the alarmist lay press:

http://security.goatse.fr/blog/