Adobe releases Flash Player 10.1 for Mac

Comments

• Reply 61 of 266
    So it does help for non-video flash files.

Thanks for trying it out hill60 & solipsism.
  • Reply 62 of 266
    bartbuzzbartbuzz Posts: 131member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by benice View Post

Anyone know where you can see the version number of installed flash player? I cant seem to see it through Firefox or via System Profile.

In Firefox look under Tools, Add-ons, Plugins.
  • Reply 63 of 266
    benicebenice Posts: 382member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BartBuzz View Post

In Firefox look under Tools, Add-ons, Plugins.

Thanks for that. I tried it the first time, looked through the list for Adobe but didn't spot it as "Shockwave Flash". All clear now.
  • Reply 64 of 266
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

So many people here keep talking about Youtube as its the fix all for everything. I really isn't even close. HTML5 isn't coming along as fast as people would suggest, and Flash simply isn't going anywhere anytime soon.

Aside from the few thousand members of Mac tech rumor sites, not many people even know there is a pissing contest going on between Apple and Adobe. For the most part Flash works as advertised HTML 5, not so much.
  • Reply 65 of 266
    masternavmasternav Posts: 442member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gotApple View Post

Great work, Adobe! I just installed 10.1 on my Windows 7 machine and even all my favorite flash games that are free run perfectly! I'll be getting a Nexus One real soon to replace my iPhone 3GS that cannot run simple things as Flash.

Finland has had a terrible rash of trolls recently. Ah yes, that would explain this post then wouldn't it.
  • Reply 66 of 266
    masternavmasternav Posts: 442member
    Quote:

How many HTML5 games are there? Five? How many Flash games are there? FIVE MILLION!?

Also, Flash Player 10.1 on Nexus One runs the same stuff much faster than iPhone 3GS runs HTML5. Think about that. Both have ARM CPU inside.

that Google has discontinued the Nexus One then isn't it? Good thing they have such good end user support for it.

Um. Well. OK - well enjoy that.

• Reply 67 of 266
    steviestevie Posts: 956member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

In fact, the reason Adobe makes such crap software is that they *do* have a monopoly.

I

In which market does Adobe have a monopoly?
  • Reply 68 of 266
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pt123 View Post

I installed it too and it works great, no problems. Hulu, Foxsports.com, yahoo all working great.

You don't understand. That doesn't really matter.
  • Reply 69 of 266
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by H2P View Post

"However, Adobe says this feature is not supported for Opera or Safari, meaning that Flash content won't respect users' private browsing preferences." is all that I needed to hear... I'm skeptical... it make me ask:

Does this mean it will be less likely to be secure somehow?

Somehow, yes.
  • Reply 70 of 266
    Quote:

Also, Flash Player 10.1 on Nexus One runs the same stuff much faster than iPhone 3GS runs HTML5.

Stop right there. According to Soli, Flash is not available on any mobile phone.
  • Reply 71 of 266
    patrollpatroll Posts: 77member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Stevie View Post

In which market does Adobe have a monopoly?

In Finland, apparently.
  • Reply 72 of 266
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

1)

No one here is going to stop you from buying a Nexus One, but you may want to consider one of the other, better Android-based phones on the market before you commit to the failed Nexus One.

Can you recommend another, better Android phone that runs on AT&T?

And as far as the Nexus One being a failure, is it a failure in any manner except its marketing? Do you see it as a flawed product in and of itself, regardless of market penetration?
  • Reply 73 of 266
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. H View Post

The fact is that Adobe are shit at optimising code on OS X, probably because they use their own compatibility layer so that they can write code once and deploy on multiple platforms..

Why does Steve allow Adobe software on the Mac? Wouldn't it be better if you could only install software on the Mac which was sourced from an "Mac-lication Store" owned by Apple, selling only approved software?

That way, there would be a better user experience on the Mac. Anything that Apple can do to enhance the UX is good.
  • Reply 74 of 266
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Not to mention, of course, that in 2007 when Adobe promised Flash for the iPhone 'real soon now', they knew that hardware acceleration wasn't available, yet they were telling the world that they would have it soon. It never showed up.

That's good enough for me.
  • Reply 75 of 266
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by caliminius View Post

Your argument seems to come down to: Who needs Flash games on their phone? Which is really close to saying: Who needs games on their phone? And then slides a little further to arguments like: Who needs to browse the web on their phone? If you going to talk about needs, the only thing a phone NEEDS to do is work as a phone.

Unless you can list many, many flash sites which are absolutely critical to maintaining life as you know it, some will claim that Flash is worthless.

And even if you provide such a list, they will tell you that the websites are worthless, and that you are wrong to visit them.
  • Reply 76 of 266
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jerseymac View Post

The community here is so sweet.

That is one reason why I love this forum.
  • Reply 77 of 266
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by maciekskontakt View Post

Does Rosetta Stone work with it? No? It'd better do. Enough of tricks with reverting to old Flash Player on Mac OS X just for Rosetta Stone - the most popular online way to learn languages.

Install Bootcamp. Problem solved.
  • Reply 78 of 266
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by masternav View Post

that Google has discontinued the Nexus One then isn't it?

Wrong. Totally wrong.

http://www.google.com/phone

If you don't know the facts, don't state conclusions.
  • Reply 79 of 266
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

The problem is there are alot more websites then just YouTube. So many local websites use Flash and its next to impossible to get away from it. When I say local websites I am talking about local news and weather that give me information that national sites don't. Also if you stream alot of video like I do you just simply can't avoid the need for Flash at this point.

So many people here keep talking about Youtube as its the fix all for everything. I really isn't even close. HTML5 isn't coming along as fast as people would suggest, and Flash simply isn't going anywhere anytime soon.

same old argument, same old crap, why don't you just cut and paste.
  • Reply 80 of 266
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

I tried 10.1 on my Mac using my daughter's favorite Flash site, www.webkinz.com.

Unfortunately, it's not a heck of a lot better than 10.0. Running about100% CPU utilization on my Mac Mini (4 GB RAM, 2.5 GHz Core 2 Duo). The old version went to around 110-120% CPU utilization on a MacBook Pro with 2.33 GHz Core 2 Duo and 3 GB of RAM. The reduction in CPU usage is pretty much in line with system capabilities.

If it's still requiring 100% of a 2.5 GHz Core 2 Duo with 4 GB of RAM, why would anyone think it would ever work on an iPhone?

Another Adobe Fail.

poorly optimized code is poorly optimized code. it wont matter how good the plugin is if the code is bogus. SAME GOES FOR JAVASCRIPT. SAME GOES FOR OBJECTIVE C!