Microsoft paying iPhone devs to make Windows Phone 7 games

Comments

• Reply 21 of 61
    sheffsheff Posts: 1,407member
    Ouch... ports always suck

I am gonna go ahead and bury WinMo right now. Perhaps they can make windows 8 that runs on top of android (like sense UI).

They have Xbox, why not pay people who develop for Xbox to make native games for WinMo. Would by much easier.
  • Reply 22 of 61
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    Microsoft is just sad. Developers! Developers! Developers!
  • Reply 23 of 61
    dreyfus2dreyfus2 Posts: 1,072member
    Hm, they did the very same thing when the Zune HD arrived... that was quite a success by MS's standards... the E&D division is so successful that their people can afford to retire at 45 now, so the future is bright :-)
  • Reply 24 of 61
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    Unity 3D is a great game engine, but I don?t think it will help make games for Windows 7?it?s not one of the platforms for which support has even been planned, to my knowledge.
  • Reply 25 of 61
    maccherrymaccherry Posts: 924member
    When MS does finally put out their mobile OS who will be selling it? The same folks making the Android phones. How will that pan out?
  • Reply 26 of 61
    I hope they don't buy Bungie.
  • Reply 27 of 61
    prof. peabodyprof. peabody Posts: 2,860member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by maccherry View Post

When MS does finally put out their mobile OS who will be selling it? The same folks making the Android phones. How will that pan out?

LG is supposed to be making the reference hardware, or the first "big" Windows 7 phone, but they are right in the middle of releasing Android stuff as well so I wouldn't be surprised if you see two versions of almost the same hardware from them, one running Android and one running WinMobile 7.
  • Reply 28 of 61
    feynmanfeynman Posts: 1,087member
    What Apple/developers need to do is start making/using more Core APIs. That way you cannot simply port over the code as their apps will take full advantage of the iOS and what it has to offer.
  • Reply 29 of 61
    feynmanfeynman Posts: 1,087member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JiveTurkey View Post

I hope they don't buy Bungie.

heh I remember first reporting this rumor long ago under a different username and no one believed me! And then a few hours Microsoft and Google made the announcement and everyone was like WTF?!
  • Reply 30 of 61
    donlphidonlphi Posts: 214member
    This is probably just a way to make sure Windows Mobile 7 has some relatively "universal" APPS in their stable before releasing the device. It's pretty hard to get people to switch to you if some apps have become a part of your daily routine. I figure it's companies that make the Apps like Pandora, Shazam, Urban Spoon, and then EA will crank out mobile versions of their typical offerings.

I'm not surprised. I'm also not laughing too hard about it when I can remember a time when I could barely open a word document on my mac. Be gracious losers and winners.
  • Reply 31 of 61
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zindako View Post

Or alternatively, give them away for free

people may not even want them for free...
  • Reply 32 of 61
    masternavmasternav Posts: 442member
    get interesting. Because while Microsoft attempts to throw money at iOS devs, they simply don't have any current market to entice the devs with. The Zune Marketplace has a handful of entries and no appreciable marketshare (compared to iPod, for example). With an 80 million plus and growing device-user population there, devs have an established market AND demonstrated successes to interest them.

Furthermore they are competing head-to-head with Android - and Android has a substantial headstart. I foresee some more licensing deals pried from handset makers (like they did with HTC) by Microsoft, so they can dampen Android uptake some, but that's all they have to work with. OTOH, it will be nice if Microsoft brought a strong contender to the market as it would draw fire away from Apple and force segment contention between 7 and Android - since their market approaches are more similar than to each other than they are to Apple.

All we need is for HPalm to weigh in as well. All of these are competing on the same sort of platform execution level, different than Apple and much further behind than Apple. Which means they have to spend precious cycles protecting themselves from each other instead of specifically targeting Apple and attacking that ecosystem. Microsoft is losing its marketshare rapidly to Android predation, much more than Apple is. RIM is technically in a class by itself currently, but too many more communication outages and they will start seeing erosion as well. The iPhone 4 is going to strengthen Apple's marketshare and ecosystem, and if they decide to open the ecosystem up to other US carriers, that will help consolidate it's presence in the US markets, and further mitigate Android or 7 growth.
  • Reply 33 of 61
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,964member
    Apple: make phones that third parties wait anxiously to be released, then line up to develop for.

MSFT: make phones that you have to pay people to develop for.
  • Reply 34 of 61
    benicebenice Posts: 382member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

And of course, no Windows Phone 7 devices will be able to alternatively boot Apple's iOS.

What does this even mean? If it's making a comparison, will an Apple iOs device boot Windows Phone 7? No of course not!
  • Reply 35 of 61
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,964member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kotatsu View Post

You seem to lack any understanding of how the game industry works. Microsoft, Sony, and Nintendo have been paying for some games to come to their platforms all the time, and have always done so. The bigger the game, the higher the fee.

I, for one, understand that. But the real story here is not what others do, but how Apple doesn't have to.
  • Reply 36 of 61
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zindako View Post

Or alternatively, give them away for free

You don't quite understand. The idea is to actually get the phone out there.

Giving them away would still result in nobody having one because no one would take one for free.

• Reply 37 of 61
    kevinn206kevinn206 Posts: 117member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stevetim View Post

wait?

you mean the development platform will not be visual studio? wow. that's news to me.

Where did you get that info in the article, just curious? The entire development is done in Visual Studio 2010 + Silverlight 4.0 + XNA 4.0.

http://www.microsoft.com/express/phone/
  • Reply 38 of 61
    zmonsterzmonster Posts: 18member
    <eof>
  • Reply 39 of 61
    tribalogicaltribalogical Posts: 1,182member
    ouch. that's the very definition of desperate...
  • Reply 40 of 61
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sheff View Post

They have Xbox, why not pay people who develop for Xbox to make native games for WinMo. Would by much easier.

Every game I've seen from a traditional console developer for the iPhone has been over-priced and terrible. They rarely think outside of the traditional console concepts (IP, controls, game design).

The new indies do things far better.