Apple's new iOS 4 Game Center goes live for developers

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 26
    What I find amazing is that Apple is finally (after many decades) becoming serious about gaming. Granted, this isn't all the support that some devs would want, but I am glad to see some work to bring games permanently to the iPhone/iPad ecosystem. Now if they would do the same network for the Mac...
  • Reply 22 of 26
    I don't think Google is "done for" by a long shot -- but I suppose that in-Application ads are going to take a huge chunk out of their ad Revenue.

Every game, every "free app" is going to use this because they gave away the thing as a loss leader and they don't want to lose the Eyeballs to an information consolidator like Google.

Really, as much as I love Google for search -- it's unsustainable for a "free internet" in its current form because advertisements and content providers cannot compete with infinite and FREE on their content and endorsements.

I'm happy that newspapers may see a new home with micro-payments on an iTunes subscription -- I'm happy to pay for NEWS that is for the customer - not the advertiser (which means; buyer beware, right?).

>> Does anyone think that Steve Jobs already had the iAds concept up his sleeve when he decided to become buddies with Google? AFAIK -- Google really did fire the first shot across the bow by developing a phone, which maybe they will regret in a year or two.
  • Reply 23 of 26
    djrumpydjrumpy Posts: 1,116member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hezetation View Post

Over 100 new features, they picked Steve's 8 favorite.

I like how they slipped in the google calendar sync. I've been playing with it for a few weeks, and I just now noticed it in the settings. Over the air syncing for the calendar to Google's calendar. Something I've wanted to see for a long time.
  • Reply 24 of 26
    postulantpostulant Posts: 1,272member
    So far Appleinsider is my only friend.

If anyone wants to add me, I'm "Oh No"
  • Reply 25 of 26
    str1f3str1f3 Posts: 573member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Fake_William_Shatner View Post

>> Does anyone think that Steve Jobs already had the iAds concept up his sleeve when he decided to become buddies with Google? AFAIK -- Google really did fire the first shot across the bow by developing a phone, which maybe they will regret in a year or two.

Not really. They were two moves that started this fight (I believe):

1. Android

2. Nexus One

I think Apple felt betrayed by Google with Android similar to MS in the 80s. Some may say that Android was created to fend off WM and that may be true. I think at that time they started developing iAds which is why patents showed up last year for an ad-distribution model from Apple.

The Nexus One is what had initiated the HTC lawsuit. Google was putting their own name behind the hardware, selling it themselves & updating the OS with multitouch. All of this prompted an unusually personal letter from Apple depicting themselves as being betrayed. They never went after Palm like this but I suspect they could have.

I'm willing to bet that once Apple got wind of the N1 & multitouch, the war was really on. Google tried to block the sale of Admob to Apple and Jobs seemed to indicate there was dirty about this acquisition. They went on to by Quattro and this is where we're at.

Google is now shut out of Apple's ad business making the $750 purchase of AdMob useless and soon every other OS maker will have the same rule as Apple. If Google can't move apps to the cloud they run they chance of being MS; the stock becomes stagnant and people will start to sell. They are already rumors that Larry and Sergey have been doing this very quietly. If you look at Google's stock performance over the last 6 months it has taken a nosedive.
  • Reply 26 of 26
    So I am comic book nerd I am proud to say and a gamer...so of course I had to post this as soon as possible for both comics and gaming has again combined! I am not sure which comic book this game is from, but it looks awesome. It has an Advanced Dual Stick Shooter but the graphics look good, from what I can make out, however I don't know for sure since it is so hard to make out the characters in the ? video.Heres the link if you guys want to check it out too. http://rememberodessa.com/blog