iPhone 4 now available for preorder from Apple, carriers

Comments

• Reply 61 of 115
    sshssh Posts: 15member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mr_cazorp View Post

Everyone, please - turn off your wi-fi. Thanks.

Now that's funny!
  • Reply 62 of 115
    postulantpostulant Posts: 1,272member
    I finally grew impatient and drove over to Radio Shack to reserve mine. They're also giving me $244 for my 16 gig iPhone 3GS. iPhone 4 for $55, can't beat it.
  • Reply 63 of 115
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by eko425 View Post

You might want to try eBay instead...I just sold my 2-year old iPhone 3G 16GB White for $360 on eBay...and my home button didn't even work properly (which was disclosed). Especially if you have the older boot loader (iPhone made before September 2008) which allows people to "unlock" the phone even after updating the OS.

I have a 2 year old iPhone 16GB black. How do I know if it's the older boot model? I bought it the end of September 2008. It is a little scuffy from normal wear on the back, with a couple chips in the plastic. The screen is in great condition. How much do you think that would go for on eBay?

I was going to "Trade it" at Radio Shack, but if I can get more money for it on eBay, then I'd rather go that route.
  • Reply 64 of 115
    djrumpydjrumpy Posts: 1,116member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Postulant View Post

I finally grew impatient and drove over to Radio Shack to reserve mine. They're also giving me $244 for my 16 gig iPhone 3GS. iPhone 4 for $55, can't beat it.

They're taking trade-ins?
  • Reply 65 of 115
    gijoeinlagijoeinla Posts: 215member
    While I too am frustrated - Im a bit humbled by the fact that now millions of americans own a iphone 3G/S. Obviously today shows just how many people got their eligibility dates upgraded to today with At&t. This cannot compare to previous on sales - with what 20 million iphone owners at least. Of course the systems are overloaded. They grossly underestimated the pre-order demand.

This is more about the ability for Apple to get At&t to flush forward millions of upgrade eligibility choices to sell through as much iphone product as they can only to be announced that Verizon will soon carry it. Why? All the signs are there. Early upgrades to get as many mobile users hooked to At&t while they can. Changes to the rate plans. Changes to the contract termination fees. Now insurance for the iphone. All the things that COMPETITORS do when they will COMPETE on a product to retain customers.

Now this is STUPID -- Called At&t. Was put on hold 30 minutes only for them to say they are not doing upgrades over the phone! I said why didn't the operator who answered my call just tell me that to save the aggravation! Doh! But we all know At&t and their "customer service".

Apple site for me still crashing. Still not able to get through on the apple store phone either.

Here's a question.. Are Apple Stores themselves taking pre-orders today at the store itself, kinda like Best Buy at 1 pm....Does that also include Radio Shack?
  • Reply 66 of 115
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member

Overriding Goal: This is a Pre-Order, Stupid... Take the order!

Ask the following questions

1) Do you have an existing Apple Online Store Account?

2) Do you want to purchase a new phone/line for an existing Carrier Account?

3) Do you have an existing iPhone/line that you want to upgrade?

4) Is this a new iPhone Carrier Account?

5) What is your existing iPhone number, if any?

6) What is your zip code?

7) What are the last 4 digits of your SSI number?

Require Apple Store Account setup or login, if necessary

Present pricing options for the 2 phones and subsidy options-- the buyer, likely, knows for what price he is qualified.

Present this all on a single page

Once data has been entered, Never require the buyer to enter it again!

-- don't clear the fields

-- repopulate the data after sending form

Explain to the buyer that:

1) This is a Pre-Order

2) Apple will book the order before validating eligibility/price/subsidy with the carrier

3) Apple will acknowledge the booked order immediately.

4) After booking, Apple will validate eligibility/price/subsidy with the carrier

5) After validation, within 24 hours, Apple will send you an Order Acknowledgement with specifics of eligibility/price/subsidy

6) You will have the option to accept the order, or modify it.

This is a Pre-Order, Stupid... Take the order (and capture all the info).

• Reply 67 of 115
    postulantpostulant Posts: 1,272member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DJRumpy View Post

They're taking trade-ins?

Yep, they sure are.
  • Reply 68 of 115
    gprovidagprovida Posts: 258member
    I tried this morning at about 4AM and system did not respond. Tried again at 0830 and got to checking with ATT and it just sat there spinning away for 10 min gave up. Tried several times again and got either error try again just before entering ATT info or after. Tried the new Store App and it failed, crashed the app.

I guess my only option is go to a physical store and pass the misery onto a store employee.
  • Reply 69 of 115
    clark80clark80 Posts: 28member
    Just ordered my 16gb Black iPhone (UK = Unlocked )

UK also = over priced
  • Reply 70 of 115
    gijoeinlagijoeinla Posts: 215member
    Unless you are calling At&t to inquire about your eligibility, don't waste your time. YOU CANNOT PRE-ORDER THE iPhone 4 over the phone. At At&t stores ONLY.
  • Reply 72 of 115
    I was able to place an order for a black 16GB iPhone 4 from the AT&T Premier store this morning, around 9:20 AM central time. The site loaded very slow but it allowed me to place my order. AT&T provided free expedited shipping which was nice.
  • Reply 73 of 115
    jmmxjmmx Posts: 341member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Do we know what they processed last year?

This is looking more than the 2M sales many are expecting by the end of the first weekend.

We may have over 2M by end of first pre-order day!
  • Reply 74 of 115
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DanaCameron View Post

I downloaded Apple's brand new Apple Store app this morning. Whenever it tries to get my account information from AT&T, it crashes.

I'm done trying for a while. I'll give it another go this afternoon, this evening or sometime tomorrow.

Same thing with me. This is all a bit pathetic.
  • Reply 75 of 115
    adamiigsadamiigs Posts: 355member
    At 1am PST i tried the apple site, it told me my phone was going to be 799.00 (but I did get through), I hit the AT&T site at 1:05am PST and put my order in got the correct discount and BOOM! order went through!

Sad that there are no White phones, I was getting one for a friend as a bday present to replace her 1950s flip phone (haha), now I guess I'll just give the iPhone giftcard and let her decide if she wants the black or wait for the white.

but i got mine
  • Reply 76 of 115
    I want the white one. So I am going to have to wait. I guess the 6 million they build is all black and they didnt start on the white ones yet.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple and its various wireless partners around the world prepared to launch iPhone 4 on June 24 began taking preorders for the hardware on Tuesday, though the new white model is unavailable.

As was announced at the Worldwide Developers Conference last week, customers can buy a 16GB iPhone 4 with a two-year contract with AT&T in the U.S. for $199, while the 32GB model costs $299.

Last year's iPhone 3GS, available in an 8GB capacity, is also available for $99 with contract, and all three models deliver on the launch date of June 24. Preorders are limited to two per customer.

On the Apple online store, the white iPhone 4 is not available for preorder. In addition, the model with a white front and back cannot be secured for in-store pickup. On AT&T's site, the white iPhone 4 is listed as "coming soon."

Limited availability of the white iPhone 4 was revealed on Monday, when an internal memo from AT&T suggested that supplies would be scarce at launch. That memo said that while AT&T stores will take reservations for the white iPhone 4, it will not become available until later this summer.

Both the black iPhone 4 and 8GB iPhone 3GS can be secured via free shipping, or with in-store pickup for the June 24 launch.

While the iPhone remains locked to Apple's exclusive carrier partner in the U.S., AT&T, some overseas customers have the option of an unlocked handset. An unlocked iPhone costs £499 for 16GB and £599 for 32GB in the U.K, and ?629 for 16GB and ?739 for 32GB in France.

The new iPhone will debut next week in the U.S., France, Germany, the U.K. and Japan. Apple has announced that the iPhone 4 international launch will ramp up to 87 total countries by September, its fastest global deployment of a new handset.

• Reply 77 of 115
    hdasmithhdasmith Posts: 145member
    Meanwhile in the UK, you can only pre-order through the Apple store at the moment, and only a full priced unlocked iPhone (£500 for 16GB, £600 for 32GB). There's nowhere to get one on contract at the moment!
  • Reply 78 of 115
    physguyphysguy Posts: 920member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Overriding Goal: This is a Pre-Order, Stupid... Take the order!

Ask the following questions

1) Do you have an existing Apple Online Store Account?

2) Do you want to purchase a new phone/line for an existing Carrier Account?

3) Do you have an existing iPhone/line that you want to upgrade?

4) Is this a new iPhone Carrier Account?

5) What is your existing iPhone number, if any?

6) What is your zip code?

7) What are the last 4 digits of your SSI number?

Require Apple Store Account setup or login, if necessary

Present pricing options for the 2 phones and subsidy options-- the buyer, likely, knows for what price he is qualified.

Present this all on a single page

Once data has been entered, Never require the buyer to enter it again!

-- don't clear the fields

-- repopulate the data after sending form

Explain to the buyer that:

1) This is a Pre-Order

2) Apple will book the order before validating eligibility/price/subsidy with the carrier

3) Apple will acknowledge the booked order immediately.

4) After booking, Apple will validate eligibility/price/subsidy with the carrier

5) After validation, within 24 hours, Apple will send you an Order Acknowledgement with specifics of eligibility/price/subsidy

6) You will have the option to accept the order, or modify it.

This is a Pre-Order, Stupid... Take the order (and capture all the info).

Actually, if you read the page, its not JUST a pre-order. The phone is delivered already registered and 'ready to use' so they need the att information (in the US).
  • Reply 79 of 115
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,958member
    Quote:

Do you have to hand over your phone and go phone-less until 6/24?
  • Reply 80 of 115
    Quote:

Yep, they sure are.

So, how does it work? Do you bring your old iPhone in, they appraise it, then you trade them (literally) when you return to pick up your new iPhone on 6/24?

I got a Gazelle box already, but it would be a lot easier just to hand it over.