Apple's online, phone order systems struggle with iPhone 4 demand

Comments

• Reply 141 of 210
    I wonder how many people are doing the multi-browser-windows-ordering technique. This is like Vegas. You may get lucky after a while. I'm still trying to order with my MBP, iPad, and iPhone. Well, I guess I'm one of the reasons their server is crashing...
  • Reply 142 of 210
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by skipthedog69 View Post

I wonder how many people are doing the multi-browser-windows-ordering technique. This is like Vegas. You may get lucky after a while. I'm still trying to order with my MBP, iPad, and iPhone. Well, I guess I'm one of the reasons their server is crashing...

HA!

Like the little old ladies with a cup full of nickels... sittin' in front of the slot machines!

• Reply 143 of 210
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

My whole point is that there is no need to access ATT during the pre-order process!

Gather the info: phone number; new phone model.

Take the order.

Access ATT after the fact!

You have days to resolve any issues.

An analogue I posted elsewhere: You don't start a NASCAR race, then after the first lap force everyone to get a smog inspection (at a single gas station). You run the race and check valid smog credentials later!

I agree with the refinement of the process but I can't help but wonder for this type of product your process would work.

What if people wildly pre-order and they cut off pre-orders pretty much right after they go on sale? Then have to wait 24 hours for the acknowledgment and then the use gets another 24 hours after that to accept the pre-order before the rest of the supply gets added back to the unsold queue. That sounds like a potential issue to me.

If they don't reserve a physical unit for each buyer with the pre-order wouldn't this be false advertising and potentially an accusation of bait and switch* if the only models remaining were the larger size.

If I wait ≤24 hours for a conformation of my pre-order and instructions to complete my order, then get*24 hours to complete my order I would be pissed if the item was then not available to me.

Here are a couple a ideas off the top of my head.
    1. Not a pre-order but a virtual placeholder so you can order. Like when you pull a number at a deli. You put in your phone number, last four of your SSN and zipcode to make sure you are very much the right customer ordering, then wait for a confirmation email and/or text message from AT&T to complete the order. They still give you the 24 hours but nothing is guaranteed and they can space out the intense transaction process as needed.

2. They do a systematic offering of iPhone upgrades based on your account info. Maybe they start with those that have been with AT&T the longest, or they choose those that spend the most per month, or first open it up to new customers and then to those upgrading, or do a random selection of users that they send invites to pre-order the device (like I stated above) but randomly.

Whatever they are doing, it's not right and it needs to be slowed to more controllable numbers if they can't see fit to increase the server load effectively. Apple had this problem with MobileMe by making it free, requiring no CC to hold for the trial and not first offering it to their current .Mac users, but I think they have learned their lesson, at least on that front.

* I recall people saying Apple's dropping of the 4GB iPhone a few months after it went on sale bait and switch. That they had no interest in buying that model, but they were forced to because the 8GB model was sold out. Yes, I find that funny.
  • Reply 144 of 210
    jdhuskeyjdhuskey Posts: 10member
    I've been trying since 6:30 AM EDT. I got as far as choosing to keep the same service plans once. Most other times I've gotten "Your request could not be processed at this time. Try again later." or "Your session has expired." WHAT?!?! You mean the session I started 5 seconds ago? It's expired? Really?!?! Not sure who is to blame, but they've seriously botched opening day of pre-orders. A few times I got to the screen that would let me reserve a phone for pick up at the store, but I'm not going to have the opportunity to do that at 7:00 AM on the 24th. I need it delivered. I can't believe the amount of time I've spent on this, and still without success. I hope they aren't yet near the limit of 32 GB phones they'll be able to ship for pre-orders and that I'll still be able to get it. This madness makes me think they had way more pent up demand for the 4th generation phone than they ever imagined.

I'm sure Steve is punishing me for installing the 10.1 Flash update. I just know it!

Speaking of Flash... Will Safari in iOS4 support it? Just kidding!
  • Reply 145 of 210
    jdsonicejdsonice Posts: 156member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

An influx of customers attempting to preorder the next-generation iPhone resulted in issues with Apple's online store and forced the company to temporarily reject callers to its 800 number on Tuesday.

While online and phone orders were a problem in some areas, customers were forced to wait in line to preorder in Tokyo, Japan, where there is no online ordering available. Silicon Alley Insider snapped pictures of customers forming long lines in Tokyo on Tuesday.

The process broke down because AT&T servers were simply put underpowered to handle the rush. But then it is not surprising. AT&T is not exactly know for innovation or customer service. I would really blame Apple for not coming up with a better process and depending on AT&T to do the right thing. They will not. They are stupid morons. I hate to say that but there is no way to say it better.

Hopefully TMobile will get the iPhone soon and hopefully AT&T will drop dead.

What a clusterf**k this was.

JDS
  • Reply 146 of 210
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I agree with the refinement of the process but I can't help but wonder for this type of product your process would work.

What if people wildly pre-order and they cut off pre-orders pretty much right after they go on sale? Then have to wait 24 hours for the acknowledgment and then the use gets another 24 hours after that to accept the pre-order before the rest of the supply gets added back to the unsold queue. That sounds like a potential issue to me.

If they don't reserve a physical unit for each buyer with the pre-order wouldn't this be false advertising and potentially an accusation of bait and switch* if the only models remaining were the larger size.

If I wait ≤24 hours for a conformation of my pre-order and instructions to complete my order, then get*24 hours to complete my order I would be pissed if the item was then not available to me.

Here are a couple a ideas off the top of my head.
    1. Not a pre-order but a virtual placeholder so you can order. Like when you pull a number at a deli. You put in your phone number, last four of your SSN and zipcode to make sure you are very much the right customer ordering, then wait for a confirmation email and/or text message from AT&T to complete the order. They still give you the 24 hours but nothing is guaranteed and they can space out the intense transaction process as needed.

2. They do a systematic offering of iPhone upgrades based on your account info. Maybe they start with those that have been with AT&T the longest, or they choose those that spend the most per month, or first open it up to new customers and then to those upgrading, or do a random selection of users that they send invites to pre-order the device (like I stated above) but randomly.

Whatever they are doing, it's not right and it needs to be slowed to more controllable numbers if they can't see fit to increase the server load effectively. Apple had this problem with MobileMe by making it free, requiring no CC to hold for the trial and not first offering it to their current .Mac users, but I think they have learned their lesson, at least on that front.

Those are good points-- you're in the queue, place/change the order or move on...

The whole order process could be done through the iTunes Hardware store,

There are just so many bad design elements in the process and web pages. I doubt that Apple learns a lesson from this.

• Reply 147 of 210
    After complaining about the problem with ordering a iPhone 4, I just received this email response from SJ:

Please shut down your WiFi connection.
  • Reply 148 of 210
    jdsonicejdsonice Posts: 156member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Doubt it.

What is Aria?
  • Reply 149 of 210
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

My whole point is that there is no need to access ATT during the pre-order process!

Gather the info: phone number; new phone model.

Take the order.

Access ATT after the fact!

You have days to resolve any issues.

An analogue I posted elsewhere: You don't start a NASCAR race, then after the first lap force everyone to get a smog inspection (at a single gas station). You run the race and check valid smog credentials later!

Imagine how much time it would take to resolve all the multiple orders, SPAM orders, and general crap that would be entered into your simple database. Part of it is privacy, too: you want to make sure people who order it the iPhone are who they say they are.
  • Reply 150 of 210
    dougcdougc Posts: 29member
    So I've been trying to pre-order for in store pickup all day and I think it may have finally gone through.

After the Eligibility check I was taken to the screen where you click on the retail store that you want to pick up at. However, I had an error message on the left half of the screen. I was still able to click Reserve and it took me to a window saying: "We'll See You at the Store" and to bring your ID.

For those that have ordered through Apple.com. Did your order process end immediately after clicking Reserve or did you have to enter any payment information? I can't tell if my order actually went through or not. I guess I'll wait awhile to see if I get a confirmation email. Thanks!
  • Reply 151 of 210
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cuppingmaster View Post

Imagine how much time it would take to resolve all the multiple orders, SPAM orders, and general crap that would be entered into your simple database.

We have machines and programs that can do that-- quite well, actually!

Quote:

Part of it is privacy, too: you want to make sure people who order it the iPhone are who they say they are.

That's why you process the data against the ATT db for validation, after the fact!

The only items that need be gathered (for upgrades) are:

current phone #

Zip code

last 4 digits of SSI

all those items are shown on the web site and transmitted in the clear.

Finally, almost anything would be better than what they are doing now!

• Reply 152 of 210
    redshirtredshirt Posts: 11member
    My recollection is the left side was for going into the mail delivery info (and the apple store/cart). It showed the error because it was choking, but the right side worked for me (reserving). It ended after Reserve for me. I got an e-mail about 12 minutes later with the reserve info.
  • Reply 153 of 210
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rorybalmer View Post

It's not REALLY dissapointing.. you can just order it tommorrow or the next day. Your lack of patients is the only thing to be dissapointed about.

Settle down people, if you get your phone 2 days later then someone else its NOT a big deal.

We'll live.

But your privacy may not - this might be a very big deal:

Quote:

The tipster, who claimed to work at a third-party order processing facility for AT&T, reportedly said that a "major fraud update" implemented on the wireless carrier's systems over the weekend went wrong. Those issues, the person claimed, could have lead to security issues during the iPhone 4 preorder on Tuesday experienced by at least one customer.

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles...ty_breach.html
  • Reply 154 of 210
    Quote:

We have machines and programs that can do that-- quite well, actually!

Right, and they would probably mess up half of them that weren't actually spam or dupes.

Look, I agree it's a mess, but it's going to be a mess anyway. Upfront messes are better than messes down the road. That's what really makes people angry: when they think everything went smoothly and it doesn't end up so.
  • Reply 155 of 210
    aiaddictaiaddict Posts: 487member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dougc View Post

So I've been trying to pre-order for in store pickup all day and I think it may have finally gone through.

After the Eligibility check I was taken to the screen where you click on the retail store that you want to pick up at. However, I had an error message on the left half of the screen. I was still able to click Reserve and it took me to a window saying: "We'll See You at the Store" and to bring your ID.

For those that have ordered through Apple.com. Did your order process end immediately after clicking Reserve or did you have to enter any payment information? I can't tell if my order actually went through or not. I guess I'll wait awhile to see if I get a confirmation email. Thanks!

If you asked to have it mailed to you, you need to enter payment info, select a plan etc. and it will likely fail. If you choose reserve for pickup, they will get that data from you on the 24th. It took about 10 minutes to get a confirmation email this morning at 6:00 EDT, could be worse now. I am expecting more trouble on the 24th since many people ending up reserving a phone rather than pre-ordering due to the issues. I wonder if mall security will let me bring in a keg and a bbq for the wait?
  • Reply 156 of 210
    poochpooch Posts: 768member
    wonder how much collective time has been wasted today by people trying to pre-order the phone?

wonder if steve jobs or ralph de la vega have been able to order theirs yet or if they're sitting in their offices clicking away. it's kind of too bad that the executives don't have to use the same process we do ... it might make for a better experience.
  • Reply 157 of 210
    aiaddictaiaddict Posts: 487member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Foo2 View Post

I guess you haven't followed the recent AT&T screw up involving the leak of iPad customer data, all because some AT&T engineer tried to make things easier for customers. Do a bing for "goatse" and "ipad".

If all a person needs is a phone number, then a prankster could readily screw up orders and supplies by issuing one phoney request after another.

Huh? If someone else enters my phone number I (and no one else) get an email or text asking me to confirm and provide additional data if needed. The only way there is a security breach is if they have my phone and I did not lock it.

There is no need for Apple or AT&T to send me any of my own private data, unless you consider my eligability status private data.

If you followed the leak yourself and have the technical capacity to understand it, the problem was caused by pre-populating forms with unnecessary data. If you have an email address on file you do not need to ask a user for it, and you definitely don't need to pre-populate the redundant field to save the user time.
  • Reply 158 of 210
    dougcdougc Posts: 29member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AIaddict View Post

If you asked to have it mailed to you, you need to enter payment info, select a plan etc. and it will likely fail. If you choose reserve for pickup, they will get that data from you on the 24th. It took about 10 minutes to get a confirmation email this morning at 6:00 EDT, could be worse now. I am expecting more trouble on the 24th since many people ending up reserving a phone rather than pre-ordering due to the issues. I wonder if mall security will let me bring in a keg and a bbq for the wait?

Thanks Aladdict,

Love the keg and bbq idea I won't be able to pick mine up until the evening on the 24th so hopefully the lines have a chance to cool off by then. Its been about 30 min for me and still haven't received the confirmation email yet. I might try again tonight or tomorrow in case something went wrong. Haven't given any payment info yet so it should be safe to try again...
  • Reply 159 of 210
    After 8 hours of failed online attempts, went to a local AT&T Store and completed the whole process in less than 10 minutes. What a disappointing online experience today has been, another reason for more than one cell carrier for the iPhone.
  • Reply 160 of 210
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,333moderator
    Why can't people just wait before getting one? I don't understand the sense of urgency in having the device just as it's launched. Technology is meant to supplement our lives not be the reason for it.

I love the picture in the article of the only woman in shot walking by a bunch of guys waiting in line for a phone, most of whom are probably blogging using their current phone about waiting in line or the woman who just walked by who isn't that hot but turned them on because they are so deprived of human contact.

I of course realize the irony of me posting this on a forum full of guys in a thread about a phone release.