AT&T suspends iPhone 4 preorders as security breach reports grow

124»

Comments

  • Reply 61 of 77
    ibuzzibuzz Posts: 135member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post


    It appears they did run out of supply otherwise they would have kept accepting pre-orders, been able to promise more supply to their retailers, and they wouldn't have to keep moving the new order ship by date back. I don't know how else to take it.



    As for Apple not accepting pre-orders, the site seems to go through to the AT&T authentication page here in the US. If they having customers go through all that just to say that they can't pre-order then I agree that is wrong, but I can't imagine that is the case since do list a ship-by date of July 14th right now.



    I would be happy if Apple just took my order for a July 14 delivery. As of right now, I can't order one for any delivery date.
  • Reply 62 of 77
    arlomediaarlomedia Posts: 254member
    This is one more reason to offer the iPhone on multiple carriers. The ordering process might not have melted down yesterday if the processing could have been distributed across a few different systems.



    After many timeouts and error messages, I upgraded my wife's iPhone and ordered a new one for myself. But I didn't receive email receipts for either, and I can't look up the order status for the new order. I tried to call AT&T website support and couldn't get a call through. So I don't even know if I actually have an order in or not.
  • Reply 63 of 77
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by arlomedia View Post


    This is one more reason to offer the iPhone on multiple carriers. The ordering process might not have melted down yesterday if the processing could have been distributed across a few different systems.



    You're correct that the demand would have been spread over more mobile network operator transaction servers, thus easing the demands on AT&T.



    However, that is irrelevant to the situation at hand. AT&T suspended pre-orders and Apple keeping pushing the new pre-order date back because they have sold out. If there were more US carriers or if AT&T simply could meet the demands on its server the best result would have been those 600k units (minus the units allotted for the other 4 countries) would have sold out even faster.



    Perhaps ironically, I figure most of the people who are upset about the time it took it get an order through may not have had an opportunity at all if the orders started at 4am Eastern Time. They might have been through the 300k(?) before sun up. Personally, I'd be more pissed to wake yesterday morning to find that they were already sold out.
  • Reply 64 of 77
    atsysusaatsysusa Posts: 44member
    Shades of MaBell



    Wake up ATT. You do not suspend pre-orders. You continue to take orders and inform your customers that demand exceeds supply. You also tell them that as inventories replenish their orders will be filled and they will be notified of a delivery date.



    You never turn away a customer
  • Reply 65 of 77
    arlomediaarlomedia Posts: 254member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post


    You're correct that the demand would have been spread over more mobile network operator transaction servers, thus easing the demands on AT&T.



    However, that is irrelevant to the situation at hand.



    Actually, the situation at hand is that I wasted a couple hours yesterday getting halfway into an order and then erroring out. I'd much rather be told the product is unavailable and given a date when I can order it, than waste my time in a futile effort.



    I'm currently on hold with AT&T trying to figure out whether I even have an order in or not. I've been through the phone tree several times and just got transferred from a guy who was simply not able to wrap his head around the difference between an upgrade order and a new line order. Every time I have a problem to resolve with AT&T I end up wanting to kill myself. Maybe I don't want this phone after all!
  • Reply 66 of 77
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by arlomedia View Post


    Actually, the situation at hand is that I wasted a couple hours yesterday getting halfway into an order and then erroring out. I'd much rather be told the product is unavailable and given a date when I can order it, than waste my time in a futile effort.



    I'm currently on hold with AT&T trying to figure out whether I even have an order in or not. I've been through the phone tree several times and just got transferred from a guy who was simply not able to wrap his head around the difference between an upgrade order and a new line order. Every time I have a problem to resolve with AT&T I end up wanting to kill myself. Maybe I don't want this phone after all!



    I see your point there. I'm glad I got an order at all over having to wait a week or four. It did take several hours and i finally did it via AT&T's site. It was nerve racking since I started 3 minutes after it went live.



    It took about 20 hours for my order to show up. If you got a confirmation page from the website and the moneys were deducted from your account then you should be okay. I can put in my order number into their site and I pops up with my order in progress. Calling AT&T probably won't help because I don't think the CSRs have any better access than we do from their site.
  • Reply 67 of 77
    arlomediaarlomedia Posts: 254member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by atsysusa View Post


    Wake up ATT. You do not suspend pre-orders. You continue to take orders and inform your customers that demand exceeds supply. You also tell them that as inventories replenish their orders will be filled and they will be notified of a delivery date.



    Agreed. In order of preference:



    1) Take my order now, even if the ship date is delayed.

    2) Don't take my order now, but tell me how and when I can place it in the future.

    3) Waste my time with a lot of website problems, then make it impossible to confirm whether or not my order was received (my current situation).
  • Reply 68 of 77
    arlomediaarlomedia Posts: 254member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post


    If you got a confirmation page from the website and the moneys were deducted from your account then you should be okay. I can put in my order number into their site and I pops up with my order in progress.



    I don't think money will be deducted until the order ships (at least not with a credit card, debit cards might be different). Unfortunately I didn't think to write down my confirmation number. Argh...



    Well, I finally got a helpful agent who was able to confirm that my order did -not- go through. She also explained that pre-orders were suspended because AT&T reached the point where they couldn't honor the promised ship date for all the orders. She didn't know when I'd be able to place my order again. I hope they re-open pre-orders with a later ship date just so I can get this done and cross it off my to do list.
  • Reply 69 of 77
    icfireballicfireball Posts: 2,594member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by spudit View Post


    Where's the fire? This stuff is nothing new...Apple and ATT have been dealing with the same problems every time a new iPhone comes out. I'm sure they have all hands on deck and yet it still happens.



    I have no great love for ATT, but when was the last time you saw his kind of one day demand for any other smart phone? Verizon, sprint, or tmobile have never dealt with this before.....my guess is that they would fall flat on their faces.



    I got my order in with no problem...I little slow perhaps, but no issues otherwise. Each year the articles come out slamming Apple and ATT, and yet we all still stand in long lines or crash their servers with our frantic orders.



    Apart from my own personal frustrations with the pre-order process, the security breeches are a serious issue and show a certain unacceptable unpreparedness on AT&T's part.



    As for me, here's how ridiculous my pre-order situation was:

    I'm in Alaska so I tried ordering at 4:00am EST, 12:00am AKDT. Couldn't get anywhere on either Apple's site or AT&Ts site. I tried for the next hour and a half with no luck, and decided to go to bed. I woke up the next day and got even less far than I had before. I ended up calling AT&T, to find that their system was down and they couldn't help me. At any rate, my AT&T billing address is a P.O. Box which they say they can't ship to (and they don't allow you to ship to anywhere except your billing address). Later on I was able to view my eligibility through Apple's website but got kicked out at the next step. After finally getting through to Apple support, they told me I couldn't pre-order the iPhone through them because I'm on a family plan- even though I'm just replacing my current iPhone 3G and need to make NO changes to my wireless plan. They recommended I go to an AT&T store. I go to my local AT&T store and they are still taking pre-orders. But they will not accept my debit card (even processed as a credit transaction)! They say they are requiring credit cards and won't accept any debit cards for pre-orders. By this time I'm livid. I call AT&T again and they recommend I try to get it through Best Buy. Halfway through the pre-order process, they tell me they won't be receiving pre-orders on launch day- they will call me to arrange an appointment when they come in, and they don't know when that will even be. At this point I just gave up.
  • Reply 70 of 77
    desarcdesarc Posts: 642member
    in order to reserve the latest in handheld technology:

    ask sales associate to rub the side of a pen over your credit card with a sheet of carbon paper between the two.

    this changes everything. again.
  • Reply 71 of 77
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hillstones View Post


    It is not rumor mongling. I don't read Engadget. Why don't you read this article, and there are plenty others just like it. So you do a little here and a little there, and your battery is already half dead? And you think that is fine? Good luck to you.



    Interesting article. Guess that guy's results are different mine and the other hundreds of "reports" and message board threads of people who get "expected" battery life.



    Interesting he points out the navigation, what are the free alternatives on the iPhone for that? What's battery life like on the iPhone when running the free navigation? I digress.



    The battery life argument is so ridiculous. I love when people start complaining about battery life as soon as they get the device (and don't realize how much more they are actually using the device). Look at all the iPhones that have come out and when they first come out. You could go and find "reports" and threads on support.apple.com of people complaining about battery life.



    I know personally I had to follow the APPLE PROVIDED battery guidance to turn off wi-fi, bluetooth, not check e-mail as frequently, turn off my 3G when unnecessary....



    Can't wait for the battery life reports to come out when everyone activates June 24 and is searching for 3G signal.... It's truly ashame how much time people have put into trying to acquire this device in the last 48 hours. The frustration, anger, and unhappiness...only to feel unsatisfied and unfulfilled when Apple releases a 4G version next year.



    http://www.apple.com/batteries/iphone.html
  • Reply 72 of 77
    shobizshobiz Posts: 207member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Narziss View Post


    No kidding. All of a sudden everyone has so much experience at running multinational corporations and IT departments that it allows them to tell us what such companies should be and shouldn't be doing at this time. I think we are clearly much better served if they log off the forum and forward their resumes over to AT&T and Apple as quickly as possible. They may be our only hope.





    What he said...

    If everyone on here can run Apple & AT&T better get to it or STFU.

    But... we know that will not happen since the enjoyment of valueless whining is too great.
  • Reply 73 of 77
    masternavmasternav Posts: 442member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by daving313 View Post


    Interesting article. Guess that guy's results are different mine and the other hundreds of "reports" and message board threads of people who get "expected" battery life.



    Interesting he points out the navigation, what are the free alternatives on the iPhone for that? What's battery life like on the iPhone when running the free navigation? I digress.



    The battery life argument is so ridiculous. I love when people start complaining about battery life as soon as they get the device (and don't realize how much more they are actually using the device). Look at all the iPhones that have come out and when they first come out. You could go and find "reports" and threads on support.apple.com of people complaining about battery life.



    I know personally I had to follow the APPLE PROVIDED battery guidance to turn off wi-fi, bluetooth, not check e-mail as frequently, turn off my 3G when unnecessary....



    Can't wait for the battery life reports to come out when everyone activates June 24 and is searching for 3G signal.... It's truly ashame how much time people have put into trying to acquire this device in the last 48 hours. The frustration, anger, and unhappiness...only to feel unsatisfied and unfulfilled when Apple releases a 4G version next year.



    http://www.apple.com/batteries/iphone.html



    ...I'm just curious, why even BOTHER to contribute here in the case where you are so disillusioned with your (former) iPhone experience. Do you expect to receive validation for your opinion/experience here (highly unlikely), are you proselytizing potential switchers here (also highly unlikely), do you have a slight masochistic streak or enjoy pissing in the AI wheaties (much more likely), or ?.



    I mean, there's no rule that sez you have to drink the koolaid, fall in line with whatever coolness is currently being released - but your posts and the responses speak of a colossal waste of time and effort in an entirely unappreciative audience. Moreover, while discuss of alternative platforms is generally welcome, the constant use of personal experience doesn't validate the platform you are championing. For example, what is the current customer satisfaction rating on your new phone (and since its a newer device, even allowing for new-user blind love)?



    You have to compare it to an Apple iPhone year over year continuing customer satifaction rating of over 90%. In a user population of around 50 million or better, that speaks volumes against your particular experience. And please don't sully your commentary with nonsensical statements like "Apple iPhone user are a bunch of mindless lemmings/tools" and such like.



    Just sayin'
  • Reply 74 of 77
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by masternav View Post






    ...I'm just curious, why even BOTHER to contribute here in the case where you are so disillusioned with your (former) iPhone experience. Do you expect to receive validation for your opinion/experience here (highly unlikely), are you proselytizing potential switchers here (also highly unlikely), do you have a slight masochistic streak or enjoy pissing in the AI wheaties (much more likely), or ?.



    I mean, there's no rule that sez you have to drink the koolaid, fall in line with whatever coolness is currently being released - but your posts and the responses speak of a colossal waste of time and effort in an entirely unappreciative audience. Moreover, while discuss of alternative platforms is generally welcome, the constant use of personal experience doesn't validate the platform you are championing. For example, what is the current customer satisfaction rating on your new phone (and since its a newer device, even allowing for new-user blind love)?



    You have to compare it to an Apple iPhone year over year continuing customer satifaction rating of over 90%. In a user population of around 50 million or better, that speaks volumes against your particular experience. And please don't sully your commentary with nonsensical statements like "Apple iPhone user are a bunch of mindless lemmings/tools" and such like.



    Just sayin'



    As for your first question, it's really just having fun with folks in here and ruffling the feathers. It's good to think outside the box.



    When did I say "Apple iPhone users are a bunch of mindless lemmings/tools"? Just curious, I don't remember typing that even though you're quoting me as saying that.



    And, if you did some research (not sure where you pulled 90% from), Apple iPhone from Dec 2010-May 2010 has a customer satisfaction rating of 77%. Not saying that's bad, still very good, but quote some real numbers.



    http://www.product-reviews.net/2010/...ngs-apps-no-1/



    The best line of that is the reason for Motorola's surge "Due to Android."
  • Reply 75 of 77
    nedrobnedrob Posts: 1member
    That is not a hard projection, based on how I have been treated by them over the last 2 days. And, I work for a company with many thousands of employees. Very stupid on the part of AT&T but none of us should be surprised.



    This has been my experience with pre-ordering an iPhone4:



    1. I tried on 6/14/2010 to pre-order my iPhone4 through my AT&T wireless internet account. Their website was down.

    2. I logged in later but was told my password was incorrect. This is a typical ploy used by AT&T when their web servers are screwed up. Instead of being honest and asking you to sign in later, they make it seem like it is your fault. They then lock you out after 3 failed login attempts so you are forced to call them on the phone. This has happened to me before and I stopped after the second attempt.

    3. I tried to log in again on the internet but when I clicked on the upgrade page, my browser went into think mode for 5 minutes. I finally closed down the browser.

    4. At 1 am, I logged in again to the website and go a message that my account is no longer accessable from the internet and I have to call an 800 number with a special code.

    5. I called 611 this morning and got a support person who, after I had already verified my name and ss # once, refused to give me any info until I verified the same info. Finally, he told me that pre-ordering was once again available and he connected me to the 'right' department. Turns out I got a recording that all iPhone pre-orders are still suspended. Thank you Michael Duncan for lying to me.

    6. Tried to get an operator this afternoon on the AT&T chat line. Identified myself but Bonnie Lewis refused to give me any kind of ID number. Did you know that there are over 4,750,000 hits for Bonnie Lewis on google? After she refused to give me her ID or any other info like her department supervisor's name, she disconnected me.



    Say what you want, but this is the exact type of attitude that will put AT&T out of business. You don't think so? Heard of Wang, Ashton Tate, Lotus 123, Borland, Commodore (how I loved that Amiga) the list goes on and on of companies that don't care about customers. They might survive for a while but not forever



    I am a big fan of Mr. Jobs. I don't understand how he is putting up with this. Of course, it could be that Verizon and Sprint are even worse and he knows that he is stuck between a rock and a hard place.



    Unfortunately, we who pay our hard-earned money to these companies that care little about us, are the ones who end up with the shaft you-know-where.



    Flame out...



    Ned
  • Reply 76 of 77
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 31,010member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nedrob View Post


    That is not a hard projection, based on how I have been treated by them over the last 2 days. And, I work for a company with many thousands of employees. Very stupid on the part of AT&T but none of us should be surprised.



    This has been my experience with pre-ordering an iPhone4:



    Ned



    I'm sure they'll last more than a few more days. After all, thanks to iPhone, AT&T remains one of the few companies still growing (slowly) and making money.
  • Reply 77 of 77
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by daving313 View Post


    As for your first question, it's really just having fun with folks in here and ruffling the feathers. It's good to think outside the box.



    When did I say "Apple iPhone users are a bunch of mindless lemmings/tools"? Just curious, I don't remember typing that even though you're quoting me as saying that.



    And, if you did some research (not sure where you pulled 90% from), Apple iPhone from Dec 2010-May 2010 has a customer satisfaction rating of 77%. Not saying that's bad, still very good, but quote some real numbers.



    http://www.product-reviews.net/2010/...ngs-apps-no-1/



    The best line of that is the reason for Motorola's surge "Due to Android."



    Yet, the iPhone is still given a 77% positive rating vs 64% for Motorola - that's a HUGE difference.
Sign In or Register to comment.