Apple releases iTunes 9.2 with support for iOS 4, iPhone 4

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
In preparation for next week's release of iOS 4 and iPhone 4, Apple on Wednesday updated its iTunes desktop media application to version 9.2, adding support for iBooks, PDFs, and Apple's latest handset.

iTunes 9.2 is available for download direct from Apple, or via Software Update on a Mac. It is a 101.99MB file for Mac OS X, 92.29MB for Windows 32-bit, and 92.99MB for Windows 64-bit.

Apple said Wednesday the update to iTunes includes the following features and fixes:

Sync with iPhone 4 to enjoy your favorite music, movies, TV shows, books and more on-the-go

Sync and read books with iPhone or iPod touch with iOS 4 and iBooks 1.1

Organize and sync PDF documents as books. Read PDFs with iBooks 1.1 on iPad and any iPhone or iPod touch with iOS 4

Organize your apps on your iOS 4 home screens into folders using iTunes

Faster back-ups while syncing an iPhone or iPod touch with iOS 4

Album artwork improvements make artwork appear more quickly when exploring your library

Word of iTunes 9.2 first arrived during Apple's Worldwide Developers Conference last week, when it was seeded to developers in a Golden Master form.

iOS 4 will ship on June 21 as a free update for the iPhone 3GS, iPhone 3G, and recent generations of the iPod touch. It will be followed on Thursday by the release of iPhone 4, also running iOS 4.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 65
    mactelmactel Posts: 1,275member
    I was expecting this soon. Safari, OSX, and now a iTunes update.

Would like to know if iLife and iWork will ever get another update on OSX.
  • Reply 2 of 65
    ghostface147ghostface147 Posts: 1,629member
    Cool. Interesting how it's a slightly larger download for OS X than the Windows world.
  • Reply 3 of 65
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTel View Post

I was expecting this soon. Safari, OSX, and now a iTunes update.

Of things announced I think the only thing left is XCode. I have mixed feeings with respect to XCode but hey maybe they will get it right soon.

Quote:

Ever? They just got updated last year. I'd rather see a major overall, especially to numbers so that it supports advanced users better. If Apple does it right that won't happen in a short one year upgrade cycle.

In otherwords I'd like to see iWork updated but I'd rather like the trivial yearly updates to go away. Instead put the effort into numbers for a release that blows Excel away and blazes new paths.

Dave
  • Reply 4 of 65
    crankycranky Posts: 163member
    Will the update allow me to turn off album art on my iPod and keep it on my imac?
  • Reply 5 of 65
    zindakozindako Posts: 468member
    Will the iPad be upgraded to IOS4 anytime soon?
  • Reply 6 of 65
    prof. peabodyprof. peabody Posts: 2,860member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zindako View Post

September is the earliest date rumoured. The last I heard is that iPad won't get 4.0 at all, but they will all come together with 4.0.1 around September/October this year.
  • Reply 7 of 65
    joe hsjoe hs Posts: 488member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zindako View Post

Fall '10
  • Reply 8 of 65
    prof. peabodyprof. peabody Posts: 2,860member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

In preparation for next week's release of iOS 4 and iPhone 4, Apple on Wednesday updated its iTunes desktop media application to version 9.2, adding support for iBooks, PDFs, and Apple's latest handset ...

Kind of an underwhelming update considering iOS isn't out yet, and iBooks 1.1 isn't out yet either.

Also .... still 32 bit
  • Reply 9 of 65
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

Also .... still 32 bit

hopefully that'll change by 10.7
  • Reply 10 of 65
    inklinginkling Posts: 762member
    At last! After some three months, I'll be able to discover if a William Morris-influenced-Tolkien book that I published via the iBookstore really is there. Not having an iPad, I've not been able to check. Come Monday when I upgrade to iOS 4.0 on my touch, actually see how well it reads on a tiny screen.

Publishing blind has an eery feel to it. Now what we need is iBooks for Macs with full syncing of bookmarks to all platforms.

--Michael W. Perry
  • Reply 11 of 65
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Joe hs View Post

hopefully that'll change by 10.7

It's independent of Mac OS X and waiting for the next major Mac OS release would push it back to 2012 is we expect to start getting dev builds at WWDC 2011.

I think we'll get a 64-bit Cocoa rewrite of iTunes this Fall at the iPod/iTunes Special Event. It'll be iTunes X, which is what they seem to be doing to promote these rewrites to Cocoa. Plus it's 2010 and 10.0 of iTunes so it all fits well.
  • Reply 12 of 65
    Well, I had the WWDC version of 9.2 installed and software update said I was up to date. I guess it believes that build 9.2f1 (42) is the most up to date since the final version is 9.2 (61). I had to manually update. Not a big deal, but still funky.
  • Reply 13 of 65
    macapfelmacapfel Posts: 575member
    In otherwords I'd like to see iWork updated but I'd rather like the trivial yearly updates to go away. Instead put the effort into numbers for a release that blows Excel away and blazes new paths.

[/QUOTE]

I completely agree. Numbers as it stands at the moment is of little use for former Excel users. I use it, however, for making tables as it is a great leap forward to have multiple spreadsheets on one sheet, but the functionality is more then limited. E.g. no proper transpose function is close to being ridiculous. But if they get it right - it will probably be fantastic (as are Pages and Keynote).
  • Reply 14 of 65
    where is iBooks app for iPhone ???
  • Reply 15 of 65
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

It's independent of Mac OS X and waiting for the next major Mac OS release would push it back to 2012 is we expect to start getting dev builds at WWDC 2011.

I think we'll get a 64-bit Cocoa rewrite of iTunes this Fall at the iPod/iTunes Special Event. It'll be iTunes X, which is what they seem to be doing to promote these rewrites to Cocoa. Plus it's 2010 and 10.0 of iTunes so it all fits well.

I meant "by" 10.7, as in _before_ 10.7. sorry for the confusion
  • Reply 16 of 65
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

And I hope iTunes X will be a really major re-design. iTunes just combines so many functions that it is completely opaque to someone new coming to it - iPods, music, film, podcasts, now even pages documents etc. It's clear from the evolution of iTunes that they added more and more functionality. But for an average user it is not really clear whey the need to sync their mobile phone with an mp3 player software. They could simply start by designing a new icon ...
  • Reply 17 of 65
    Can anyone check the exact version number? (on osx)

I was using the 9.2 beta, and I'm not seeing an option to install this official update.

Mine says version 9.2f1 (45)

Just curious what the official one says or if I pretty much have it.
  • Reply 18 of 65
    cvaldes1831cvaldes1831 Posts: 1,832member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTel View Post

It is very likely that Apple will update iLife and iWork at some point. It's impossible to say when; only Apple knows but they're not talking.

Based on the importance of the Mac revenue stream to Apple's overall bottom line, it is doubtful that they will completely neglect their PC product lines and the software that runs on them.
  • Reply 19 of 65
    Why is there no iBookstore in the iTunes Store of iTunes 9.2?
  • Reply 20 of 65
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by september11th View Post

Can anyone check the exact version number? (on osx)

I was using the 9.2 beta, and I'm not seeing an option to install this official update.

Mine says version 9.2f1 (45)

Just curious what the official one says or if I pretty much have it.

9.2 (61). I had the same issue and had to manually update.