Apple exploring HD Radio for future iPods, iPhones

Comments

• Reply 41 of 73
    estyleestyle Posts: 201member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Next up: Apple re-patents the toilet seat.

it will be a joint venture with nike:

1) bluetooth connected to you phone so that it recognizes when your sitting on it

2) has associated playlists

3) tracks you time taken and frequency of visits

4) has celebrity coaches providing encouragement

5) and can still use the motto: Just Do It!
  • Reply 42 of 73
    chronsterchronster Posts: 1,894member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by estyle View Post

probably failed because you couldn't tag the songs and then immediately buy them through itunes....

I don't know if something like that exists on the zune or not. Not a bad idea though. I think with like Slacker radio you can buy the song through Amazon.

Actually you got me thinking of an idea I had a while ago. If an app could just listen to and record hd radio all day, then use a service like Midomi to tag each song, someone could build a nice mp3 playlist of their favorite genre within a few days. I wonder why something like that hasn't been made yet...
  • Reply 43 of 73
    estyleestyle Posts: 201member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chronster View Post

I don't know if something like that exists on the zune or not. Not a bad idea though. I think with like Slacker radio you can buy the song through Amazon.

Actually you got me thinking of an idea I had a while ago. If an app could just listen to and record hd radio all day, then use a service like Midomi to tag each song, someone could build a nice mp3 playlist of their favorite genre within a few days. I wonder why something like that hasn't been made yet...

now is your chance to join the growing list of ap programmers becoming millioniares
  • Reply 44 of 73
    elrothelroth Posts: 1,201member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mike Nassour View Post

I've used DAB in the UK. While it does have a nice sound, it has not been the big time product in sales that proponents predicted. However, it does have a large advantage over HD-Radio in that it has its own separate frequency band. Here in the U.S. the FCC allowed iBiquity to slap this new carrier on top of existing signals, causing interference. Since in the UK it has its own set of new frequencies, normal analog broadcasts are not distorted as they are here in the U.S.

Thanks for the info - I always heard that HD radio was inferior to DAB, and this makes sense as to why.
  • Reply 45 of 73
    old-wizold-wiz Posts: 194member
    I'd love to have radio on an iPod Touch!
  • Reply 46 of 73
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

1. Maybe you should define what you mean by "basically doesn't even work", otherwise you may be accused of being basically wrong.

2. There are no "expensive royalty fees" for receivers of HD broadcasts.

If you don't like HD radio for some reasoned reason, it would make sense to correctly explain that, but it won't serve your purpose to write stuff like the above which is either simply mistaken or misleading. Either way, it's a miss.

"The ongoing tragedy of HD radio"

"Supposedly, it costs a manufacturer about $50 to implant an iBiquity HD chip into a radio, thus transforming it into an HD radio. That $50 (or so) is the fee the manufacturer pays to iBiquity."

http://www.hear2.com/2007/10/the-ongoing-tra.html

Oh, really?

HD Radio's poor reception, with dropouts to silence on the HD2/HD3 channels, has been well-documented, and many examples are included on my blog. This is exactly why iNiquity filed for a 4 to 10 times power increase with the FCC, which will cause massive problems with adjacent-channel analog stations.

Bob "Booble" Struble claimed that there is high consumer demand for HD Radio on cell phones, quoting a supposed comScore study, which doesn't even exist:

http://comscore.com/content/search?S...%22hd+radio%22

Analog FM tuners are set to be the global standard for FM radio in cell phones, so it would make no sense adding HD Radio to Apple products. The Zune HD, with HD Radio tuners was a complete flop, and couldn't be marketed outside the US, because HD Radio simply doesn't exist outside of a couple small foreign countries. Microsoft used the Zune HD as an experiment and to get free publicity from the HD Radio Alliance for its crappy product, and now has mandated analog FM tuners in their products, not HD Radio. The FCC has stated that the marketplace will determine if FM tuners get installed in cell phones, as the FCC doesn't have the authority to make such mandates. Adding FM tuners to cell phones has not made them more desirable. iBiquity is a fraudulent company, and HD Radio is nothing more than a high-level corporate scam and huge carny-shill. This is probably just another rumor stirred up by Struble to prop-up his dying technology. Struble lives on hype and lies.
  • Reply 47 of 73
    Quote:

Actually, HD radio is a failing technology.

Over the past year AM HD stations have begun turning OFF the signal, first at night, then during the daytime. The AM HD system creates terrible interference on the AM broadcast band.

The FM HD system has been marginally more successful. However, listeners (those few who have actually purchased the expensive equipment needed) are finding nothing but duplicates of the same FM programming on the HD-1 channels, and mediocre jukeboxes on the HD-2 and HD-3 channels. The sole exception to this are the NPR stations that have managed to put some excellent alternative programming on their -2 and -3 streams.

The main problem for HDRadio so far is that it is NOT "HD", meaning "high definition" in any sense. In fact, the argument is being made that a clean analog signal usually sounds better than any HD signal. The company that controls HD Radio, Ibiquity, is charging stations very high license fees to use the equipment. One reason that you don't see many HD radios in the stores is that Ibiquity license fees make receivers expensive as well. In fact, before the recent portable released by Best Buy, the low price point for HD radio was $100.

There are many other objections to the system, all of which can be researched by a quick Google search of HD RADIO PROBLEMS. Before Apple spends a single centavo on any of this technology, or before any Apple customer does the same, they need to take a long, hard, look at Ibiquity's track record and decide if this product is worth the trouble...and if Ibiquity is a company that Apple should take on as a partner.

The chief engineers, sales managers, and general managers of hundreds of radio stations across the U.S. would say ... no ... to both of those questions.

The Chief Engineer of our local NPR affiliate told me "We're going to have digital radio...but it won't be THIS digital radio."

A number of FM radio stations have also turned off HD, especially in Wash, D.C. CBS Radio has stated that they will not "upgrade" their HD stations with any power increase. There are a number of radio-related CEOs that have invested in iNiquity, so I'm guessing that other CEOs, such as with the automakers, are also being offered a piece of any potential iNiquity IPO. It certainly isn't consumer demand driving Struble's scam. Folks, includiong Apple, need to do a lot more research on iNiquity's failing technology, before handing over those expensive royalty fees, which will only be passed along to consumers in the form of higher prices.
  • Reply 48 of 73
    bigpicsbigpics Posts: 1,397member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by donlphi View Post

Is Apple planning on adding an analog phone jack to their iPhone, too?

I find it hard to believe that HD Radio is going to really take off. I find it harder to believe that Apple's going to include it on their devices.

1. Well, it's their patent app, but you do have a point based on history.

2. Here's one vote for AM in my personal mobile device. Can't listen to music and canned casts ALL the time - news radio, local sports (e.g., Mets, Yankees, Jets, Knicks, college, high school), talk radio, local conditions.

3. I still don't have - and don't plan to get - an iPhone anytime soon. ATT service issues are one primary reason, and getting enough net time in my life is another, but Mobile TV's the major one - two cable news channels, CNBC and more live are keys to my day. I also have and use my ancient Sony am-fm 4 oz radio from 1997 regularly.

The immediacy of live with no streaming costs, and just picking your channel, may be quaint to most of y'all, and canned, microwaved content may suit you, but radio and TV are useful augments to all the media delivery services available via the iPhone/Touch/Pad ecosystem to date, especially if the price of admission's a tiny bit of silicon you're not obliged to use.
  • Reply 49 of 73
    hillstoneshillstones Posts: 1,490member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

It does seem rather odd that there is no radio for the iPhone. I don't need it, but I am sure others disagree.

Have you ever seen another cellphone with a radio? The iPhone is already packed tight with technology, no room for an FM tuner, let alone one that can receive HD Radio broadcasts.
  • Reply 50 of 73
    caliminiuscaliminius Posts: 944member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PocketRadio View Post

...HD radio...

Since the only posts you've ever made on this forum are efforts to take a crap on HD radio, it pretty much renders your opinion moot. Clearly you have some sort of axe to grind to with HD radio or its originator (maybe you were fired from there, who knows).

I'm also wondering if you might have two accounts and also be masquerading as "Mike Nassour" since all but a few old posts of his only exist to take a crap on HD radio.

I just think people should take a look at the source before responding to your comments, especially when all you have to go on is some 3 year old news stories.
  • Reply 51 of 73
    antkm1antkm1 Posts: 1,441member
    I don't understand why the current iPods (besides the Touch) don't have the iTunes store already built-in with WiFi? It seems so obvious to do so. I mean, Apple sells more iPod Classics and iPod Nano's more than the Touch or the Phone combined (110 million total so far). Then even they could be stand-alone devices that don't need a computer to sync. My dad doesn't even have the interent, but he has a MP3 Player. I won't get into why he hasn't joined this millenium yet. The Radio would be a nice feature for people who don't want to install an HD radio in thier cars or trucks but still be able to listen to the radio after digital radio completely takes over.
  • Reply 52 of 73
    iq78iq78 Posts: 256member
    Quote:

1. Maybe you should define what you mean by "basically doesn't even work", otherwise you may be accused of being basically wrong.

+1 .... This response is beyond great!
  • Reply 53 of 73
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by caliminius View Post

Since the only posts you've ever made on this forum are efforts to take a crap on HD radio, it pretty much renders your opinion moot. Clearly you have some sort of axe to grind to with HD radio or its originator (maybe you were fired from there, who knows).

I'm also wondering if you might have two accounts and also be masquerading as "Mike Nassour" since all but a few old posts of his only exist to take a crap on HD radio.

I just think people should take a look at the source before responding to your comments, especially when all you have to go on is some 3 year old news stories.

Instead of "crapping" on me, try responding to the facts. Do we really need to debate HD Radio's poor coverage with dropouts to silence on the HD2/HD3 channels, and the picket-fencing from analog to digital on the HD1 channels? Why do you think iNiquity has filed for a 4 t o10 times power increase for HD stations? Luckily, many HD stations can't afford, or have the headroom for any power increase, so it will make little difference in improving reception. HD Radio is such a debacle that CBS Radio will not be upping their power, and CBS has close ties with the initial developers of IBOC, Lucent Technologies. Also, an increase in power means more degradation of the main analog channels, where all of the money is being made. Apple has A LOT of filed patents that they never have integrated into their products. If they ever include HD Radio, then they will never be able to market their products outside the US, and it will drive the costs of their products up substantially. Think they will really put that power hog of HD Radio into their products, when analog FM chips cost next to nothing, have the same capabilities, and battery drain is minimal. LOL! And yes, iNiquity charges royalty fees to broadcasters, manufacturers, retailers, and HD Radio hardware suppliers such as Harris. Apple would have to pay royalties to include HD Radio. Ever consider that others, aside from HD Radio shills, might have differing opinions like Mike Nassour.
  • Reply 54 of 73
    elrothelroth Posts: 1,201member
    Quote:

It doesn't mean he's wrong. Maybe you could find some contradictory evidence. I've never heard anyone (including online posters) talk about HD Radio being good. It's obviously not free or cheap to include it in a device.

Do you have experience with it? Let us know.
  • Reply 55 of 73
    Quote:

This would seem to be a valid criticism of the technology, much better than "basically doesn't work" when the experience of most people with any exposure would be that it "basically works".

By receivers, I actually meant the person, not the device.

However, it does seem a bit unlikely that Apple would incorporate HD radio into an iPhone, mainly because it doesn't seem to be widely used outside the US, unless the brief research I did on that is mistaken.

Actually, even the concept that "when the experience of most people with any exposure would be that it 'basically works'" can be argued. If you'll read the various radio forums where HD is discussed (a bit of an effort in itself ), I think you'll find that the conversation in the "anti" forums is how poorly the system works and how much interference it generates. In the "pro" forums there is talk of antennas and signals that fade in and out. That's what we were used to seeing in the shortwave world forty years ago, not a mature consumer product being marketed in 2010.

My feeling about royalties is that if you just paid $50 for a radio that cost $6 to build (exactly the case in the Best Buy product) then by God someone is making a killing. And I promise you that radio stations have to pay yearly, hefty, royalties for the privilege of using this dubious system. Someone, somewhere, is always paying iBiquity for HD radio.

And no, you're not mistaken. This is a US-only system, something that is completely useless anywhere else, despite iBiquity's efforts.
  • Reply 56 of 73
    Quote:

No. I'm me. Whoever this other person is, he/she is someone else. Ask the owner to look at the IP addresses if you care to.

And if you'll bleedin' look at how long I've been here, you'll see that I didn't just sign up today to dump on this radio system that should have nothing to do with my three Macs. This is simply the first thing I've seen that I feel strongly about.

And by the way, this is my real name. Please don't drag it through the mud.

You're welcome.
  • Reply 57 of 73
    Quote:

Actually, even the concept that "when the experience of most people with any exposure would be that it 'basically works'" can be argued. If you'll read the various radio forums where HD is discussed (a bit of an effort in itself ), I think you'll find that the conversation in the "anti" forums is how poorly the system works and how much interference it generates. In the "pro" forums there is talk of antennas and signals that fade in and out. That's what we were used to seeing in the shortwave world forty years ago, not a mature consumer product being marketed in 2010.

My feeling about royalties is that if you just paid $50 for a radio that cost $6 to build (exactly the case in the Best Buy product) then by God someone is making a killing. And I promise you that radio stations have to pay yearly, hefty, royalties for the privilege of using this dubious system. Someone, somewhere, is always paying iBiquity for HD radio.

And no, you're not mistaken. This is a US-only system, something that is completely useless anywhere else, despite iBiquity's efforts.

The most open HD Radio forum is Radio-Info:

http://boards.radio-info.com/smf/index.php?board=194.0

The AVS HD Radio forum is just for cheerleading, as its moderator has admitted such.
  • Reply 58 of 73
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

It does seem rather odd that there is no radio for the iPhone. I don't need it, but I am sure others disagree.

Some versions of the WiFi chip shipped in the pods had FM built right in. Not sure why Apple never bothered, maybe they are looking for a better performance solution.

I see such a feature as being extremely useful. Apple is all steamy eyesright now about gaming but a good FM radio is equally useful. Especially for people that travel a lot. It is sort of like GPS, you may not need it often but when you do it is very handy to have.

Dave
  • Reply 59 of 73
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hillstones View Post

Have you ever seen another cellphone with a radio? The iPhone is already packed tight with technology, no room for an FM tuner, let alone one that can receive HD Radio broadcasts.

Maybe a couple of years ago this was a real issue but not anymore.

First many WiFi chips have an FM chip built in. Just add a few descrete parts and you are singing. Second I believe standalone FM chips can be had 4mm square, yes a few descrete parts are required again but it isn't a mass of electronics. Third Apple could go the custom route even though there is little need.

What is a problem is the antenna needed for the longer wave lengths of standard FM. Some manufactures get around this by using the ear bud cord. In any event one can't underestimate size here.

HD is an additional amount of space if that functionality isn't rolled into another chip. The ARM probably could do the decodeing work. Frankly though I'd be happy with plain old FM.
  • Reply 60 of 73
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by maciekskontakt View Post

Just get Pandora and you can tune to hundreds of stations even foreign.

Internet streaming is the future. Not some legacy way of distributing signal with content over the air. That includes TV broadcast.

That is a crazy idea for a mobile device. You might as well put it out of your head. There is only so much bandwidth available for use with mobile devices.

Don't believe me then check out 3G and WiFi performance anyplace there is a big gathering of techies.

Dave