Inside Apple's iOS 4: new feature parity with Snow Leopard

Comments

• Reply 21 of 81
    djrumpydjrumpy Posts: 1,116member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Smallwheels View Post

Within a couple of years (2012) Apple will drop laptops and have only upgraded iPad devices that will be able to function in the same way as laptops and desktops. This OS modification is just one more step to an OS X with multi-touch controls for everything.

Why would they drop a platform with costs in the thousands for the highest end models, for a device that sells for $299?
  • Reply 22 of 81
    cubertcubert Posts: 728member
    Wow! Keep the hardcore geeky crap coming! Love it!
  • Reply 23 of 81
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,950member
    Quote:

Within a couple of years (2012) Apple will drop laptops and have only upgraded iPad devices that will be able to function in the same way as laptops and desktops. This OS modification is just one more step to an OS X with multi-touch controls for everything.

Sorry, but this is just a ridiculous scenario based on an utter lack of understanding of all relevant issues.
  • Reply 24 of 81
    hezetationhezetation Posts: 674member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

What I find incredibly interesting about this is when it comes to operating system marketshare. When iPhone OS 4 gets feature parity with the desktop version then they are more or less the same operating system, more so if Apple does some sort of merge in future.

When you take into consideration the fact that the iPhone/iPod/iPad share is 90-100 million and the iPhone 4 had 600k preorders with 13 million credit checks for the launch and projected to double the current share by 2011, this gets very interesting.

The Mac shipments are 12 million per year and Apple has 5-10% desktop share vs 80-90% Windows. This means that to rival the Windows install base, Apple in the worst case would need to ship 240 million devices. It may be a bit more than that by next year as the market grows.

Smartphone traffic will rival desktop traffic one day too (page title is slightly erroneous):

http://timothycohn.com/2010/04/15/ha...s-the-desktop/

This has implications for the browser war because the big players: iOS, Android and Blackberry all use webkit.

Apple has surpassed Microsoft in market value, there's a chance that this is their back-door to beating them in install-base (browser and OS) too. The new war will be with Google but they have a UNIX OS so it's not such a big deal. This will become a very significant development when phones reach Core 2 Duo level of performance with 2GB RAM and 64-128GB SSD standard.

We always hear about desktop market mac vs pc but the interesting part of this is Apple is winning out the masses of the coming generations. Anyone with any sense on market trends knows that the coming generations are the best target & the best forecast of trends. Right now I'd say Apple is well setup to blow Microsoft market share away in coming years. If they bring FaceTime to iPod Touch & iPad that will just blow everything away.
  • Reply 25 of 81
    daseindasein Posts: 139member
    Quote:

Apple will stop selling laptops when a sufficiently large number of people stop buying them. You may be right, but I don't see it happening for at least 5 more years... maybe longer. The top consumer computer uses are Internet access (web and email), productivity suites and gaming. All 3 of those can be done on the iPad, albeit in some modified fashion. Most people buy cars, not trucks. Yet auto makers will continue to make trucks for that smaller group that will always need them.
  • Reply 26 of 81
    bikertwinbikertwin Posts: 566member
    Feature parity?! I don't think so. Use your built-in dictionary.

When iOS has automated memory management with garbage collection, then we'll be a little closer.

Apple is moving iOS closer to OS X and that's a good thing. But it's not parity.

{Edit}

What's with AI lately? It's becoming more and more like MacDailyNews, which is fanboyism in the worst extreme.
  • Reply 27 of 81
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bikertwin View Post

Feature parity?! I don't think so. Use your built-in dictionary.

When iOS has automated memory management with garbage collection, then we'll be a little closer.

Apple is moving iOS closer to OS X and that's a good thing. But it's not parity.

{Edit}

What's with AI lately? It's becoming more and more like MacDailyNews, which is fanboyism in the worst extreme.

Stating feature parity doesn't mean that all features and aspects as similar.

For instance, the engine for QuickTime X in SL was design for iPhone OS and then moved to Mac OS after the fact. You don't consider that a feature parity even though the app built around each is unique?
  • Reply 28 of 81
    orlandoorlando Posts: 601member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dasein View Post

Apple will stop selling laptops when a sufficiently large number of people stop buying them. You may be right, but I don't see it happening for at least 5 more years... maybe longer. The top consumer computer uses are Internet access (web and email), productivity suites and gaming. All 3 of those can be done on the iPad, albeit in some modified fashion. Most people buy cars, not trucks. Yet auto makers will continue to make trucks for that smaller group that will always need them.

The nightmare scenario for Apple's computer business is as more of our time is spent inside web browsers the less important the OS becomes. With standards compliant browsers web apps look and behave identically no matter if you have Windows, Linux, ChromeOS, OS-X, etc so justifying the premium pricing of an Apple computer over some generic low-margin computer becomes much harder.
  • Reply 29 of 81
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Stating feature parity doesn't mean that all features and aspects as similar.

For instance, the engine for QuickTime X in SL was design for iPhone OS and then moved to Mac OS after the fact. You don't consider that a feature parity even though the app built around each is unique?

Feature parity doesn't mean parity-of-a-specific-feature. It means parity-of-all-features. English is a funny language that way.

"My business can only use Macs if Word offers feature parity across both platforms." That's an example of the correct use of feature parity.

Word looks different on the two platforms, but a Word doc can be manipulated the same way on both platforms. (I'm not saying it can, I'm just using it as an example)
  • Reply 30 of 81
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Orlando View Post

The nightmare scenario for Apple's computer business is as more of our time is spent inside web browsers the less important the OS becomes. With standards compliant browsers web apps look and behave identically no matter if you have Windows, Linux, ChromeOS, OS-X, etc so justifying the premium pricing of an Apple computer over some generic low-margin computer becomes much harder.

I think the App Store's success over web apps pretty much shows how much Apple needs to worry about this particular "nightmare scenario". People simply prefer native apps over web apps.
  • Reply 31 of 81
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bikertwin View Post

Feature parity doesn't mean parity-of-a-specific-feature. It means parity-of-all-features. English is a funny language that way.

"My business can only use Macs if Word offers feature parity across both platforms." That's an example of the correct use of feature parity.

Word looks different on the two platforms, but a Word doc can be manipulated the same way on both platforms. (I'm not saying it can, I'm just using it as an example)

That is one way you can interpret it, but you need to realize that language often has more than one definition and evolves more quickly than technology. English, in particular, is a funny language that way. You can use a very select and pedantic view of the word parity but the article is not incorrect as stated.
  • Reply 32 of 81
    mactelmactel Posts: 1,275member
    I love how Apple can move one code base (core services that is) from the desktop to their iDevices yet Microsoft has a half-dozen or so core OSes for all of their current offerings. No wonder Microsoft has twice the number of employees as Apple does.
  • Reply 33 of 81
    sheffsheff Posts: 1,407member
    Having a MacOS underpinning is a huge competitive advantage for iOS devices. iOS feels a LOT snappier on my iPod Touch 2G the iPhone OS 3.0. The web browser feels somewhat faster as well. I love the new update!

PS Can't wait for the official version to come out so I can jailbreak and get multitasking as well. I know it might slow down my 2G, but I am starting to feel very limited without it after seeing all the videos.
  • Reply 34 of 81
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Orlando View Post

Adding to what anonymouse stated, Apple has been a major pioneer, supporter and contributor to open web standards so it seems to me that Apple sees a standardized web as an aid to their HW sales, not a hinderance.

Remember, Apple writes software to sell HW and Mac OS X and it's apps are not the only reason to buy a Mac. There is a lot more than aesthetics that make a Mac a more desirable open than "some generic low-marn computer". Plus, if what you were saying is true then the advent of Flash (which does look the same across PCs and the growing standardization of browsers would mean that Apple's marketshare would be in decline for the past decade, not growing considerably faster than the rest of the PC market.
  • Reply 35 of 81
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DJRumpy View Post

Why would they drop a platform with costs in the thousands for the highest end models, for a device that sells for $299?

Because eventually, they want to make money off of consumers. 10 million developers vs 6Billion consumers... you do the math. 10% of 6Billion is a good number to shoot for even at only a $100 profit (vs 40% profit on 10% of 10Million...).

The computing future will look like like mainframes in the past

1) a Mac Pro in your closet

2) a mac mini at your entertainment center

3) bluetooth keyboards laying around like remotes

4) iPads, iPods and iPhones will be internchangable... basically multi-core, single core and dual cores of the same thing

5) bonjour connectivity to all your services, with VPN connectivity when you're away

6) Apple making me.com the hub of your experience... syncing and linking dynamically as you move from device to device.

Better model than everyone having a laptop (a truck) and a car (iPad).

Planes, trains, automobiels, bikes, skates, and scooters.
  • Reply 36 of 81
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TheOtherGeoff View Post

Because eventually, they want to make money off of consumers. 10 million developers vs 6Billion consumers... you do the math. 10% of 6Billion is a good number to shoot for even at only a $100 profit (vs 40% profit on 10% of 10Million...).

Your argument makes no sense to me. It's not a one or the other situation here. In fact, Apple has gone out of their way to make the PC a necessary part of your digital lifestyle. All your iDevices are simply accessory satellite devices to your PC.

Even the iPad, which many talk about replacing the PC requires a PC to even use the first time. This was done on purpose as it's clearly designed to complement, not substitute.

I know some can only see things in black or white, but the Mac is a very important part of Apple's business and will continue to be so for a very long time.
  • Reply 37 of 81
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,134member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jpcg View Post

I think they will release a almost finished developer preview next June and will release the OS 1-2 Months later. If they want to lead the pack, they need to keep their secrets.

I'm willing to wait for OSX 10.7....if it comes in white!
  • Reply 38 of 81
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TheOtherGeoff View Post

Hate to burst your economic bubble, but they do, and will continue to, make plenty of money from consumers with Macs.

Quote:

The computing future will look like like mainframes in the past

1) a Mac Pro in your closet

Better model than everyone having a laptop (a truck) and a car (iPad).

Hate to burst your view of the future bubble, but you'll note that it includes a Mac Pro in your closet, which may just as easily, and far more likely, be an iMac, Mac Mini, or MacBook on your desktop.
  • Reply 39 of 81
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by eightzero View Post

I'm willing to wait for OSX 10.7....if it comes in white!

I hear Mac OS X 10.7 will come in over 16M colors.
  • Reply 40 of 81
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

That is one way you can interpret it, but you need to realize that language often has more than one definition and evolves more quickly than technology. English, in particular, is a funny language that way. You can use a very select and pedantic view of the word parity but the article is not incorrect as stated.

Google "feature parity". Jeez.

Or even Wikipedia.

It's annoying when AI writers try to sound all high-falutin' because they use a word or phrase they heard banged around on the internet without having any fucking clue what it means.