First iPhone 4 in official retail box spotted at Walmart

Comments

• Reply 21 of 60
    utsavautsava Posts: 53member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kilimanjaro View Post

Who knows what's inside that box, all we know on the outside it looks like the real iPhone 4 box.. But then again, no one really ever see the real iPhone 4 box. It could be that Walmart is trying to lure customers early to its door step on the launch day, who knows maybe it's just an empty box..

There's been a picture of the iPhone 4 retail box on Apples site since they announced it.... It looks exactly like this photo.
  • Reply 22 of 60
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by utsava View Post

There's been a picture of the iPhone 4 retail box on Apples site since they announced it.... It looks exactly like this photo.

The image in question:

I have to say that I like the old box better. That showed you exactly what's in the box. THis just shows a distorted photo of an iPhone 4. They should have kept it 'real'.
  • Reply 23 of 60
    rorybalmerrorybalmer Posts: 169member
    ?? Umm we all realize that anyone has been able to see what the box looks like for weeks right?? there is a picture of it on apple's website in the iPhone's "tech spec" section..
  • Reply 24 of 60
    I think this box is already shown by apple a long time ago since the iphone 4 keynote if u guys are careful enough to notice... look at the website : http://www.apple.com/iphone/specs.html

u will see this box
  • Reply 25 of 60
    rorybalmerrorybalmer Posts: 169member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Good Fella View Post

The image in question:

I have to say that I like the old box better. That showed you exactly what's in the box. THis just shows a distorted photo of an iPhone 4. They should have kept it 'real'.

I have to agree hear.. up until now apple's boxes have always given you a 1:1 scale picture of exactly whats in the box. I always though that was fantastic marketing.
  • Reply 26 of 60
    veblenveblen Posts: 201member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DistortedLoop View Post

I don't know for sure, but they're most likely to force an activation at the store as an anti-buy-unactivated-and-sell-on-eBay tactic.

There's clearly an activate-at-home method to accommodate all of us who've ordered for home delivery, but you had to agree to contract at time of purchase with those, so the anti-eBay issue's already been addressed.

Your obviously here to try and confuse people. Of course you'll be able to activate your store bought phones at home. They'll just have to verify your AT&T contract information at time of purchase to verify the sales price, just like they do for people who bought online. Actual activation of the phone has always been done at home using iTunes. http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1381 <- original iphone activation instructions
  • Reply 27 of 60
    daharderdaharder Posts: 1,580member
    As Expected - New Apple packaging same as the old Apple packaging...
  • Reply 28 of 60
    Dang it! I pre-ordered on the 15th and still have a "processing" notification on my AT&T account. Now even the rednecks at Walmart will probably get one before I do!
  • Reply 29 of 60
    rot'napplerot'napple Posts: 1,839member
    Quote:

I've actually pre-ordered for June 24th delivery a new iPhone to test out, but given its tiny 3.5" screen and my almost-50 year old eyes, I'm not sure that higher resolution will convince me to keep it. The net and emails are a heck of lot easier to read on the EVO's huge 4.3" screen. Everyone I show the phone to agrees. I'll know for myself in two days!

Heard that!

My tired old eyes couldn't handle an EVO's Lilliputian, diminutive, dwarf, infinitesimal, itsy-bitsy, little, meager, microscopic, mini, miniature, minute, pint-sized, puny, short, slight, small-scale, stunted, teensy, teeny, trivial, undersized 4.3" screen or the iPhone either. That is why I went with the iPad's Gargantuan, big, colossal, elephantine, enormous, giant, gigantic, huge, humongous, immense, jumbo, leviathan, mammoth, massive, monstrous, monumental, mountainous, prodigious, super-colossal, titanic, towering, tremendous, vast, whopping 9.7" screen that just blows everything else out of the water. Everyone I have shown it to agrees and just wants one. It may not be a smart phone, but I have a regular old dumb phone with the plastic buttons... just punch in the phone number and boom! Done!! The iPad may not fit in my pants pocket, although I'm sure some baggy pants out there have pockets that will accommodate, however, there are smart clothiers out there adding to the iOS eco-system of third party products. So whether I have a carrying case/man purse, portfolio case or vest, I'm covered!

Now I can enjoy all the smart phone app goodness without the hassle of tiring my eyes even further! And my eyes have gone from looking like this to looking like this !!!

Thanks Apple. Now for my encore, I'll close with a song inspired by Hall and Oates "Private Eyes"...

I see you, you see me

watch'in on a 9.7" screen

Oh iPad, you've got to know

looking at tiny print on an EVO

the touch-senses have been shown it's a flop

when it's watching for lies

you can't escape my

Tired Eyes

they're watching you

they see every move

Tired Eyes

they're watching you

Tired Eyes

they're watching you watching you watching you watching you

HTC, you file lawsuits, you play with sta-ah-ats

you can twist it around baby that ain't enough

cause iPad is gonna show

the virtual keyboard is letting me know

what text I type, it don't lie when I can see inside

'cause you can't escape my

Tired Eyes

they're watching you

they see every move

Tired Eyes

they're watching you

Tired Eyes

they're watching you watching you watching you watching you

Android tries to put up a front for me

I'm a Gizmodo spy can't you see

Slip iPad on, into any case

I'll still know the truth

look into my Tired Eyes
  • Reply 30 of 60
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jbman73175 View Post

Dang it! I pre-ordered on the 15th and still have a "processing" notification on my AT&T account. Now even the rednecks at Walmart will probably get one before I do!

Ok, scratch that. Just got notification my iPhone 4 is coming a day early!!! WOOT!
  • Reply 31 of 60
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by veblen View Post

Your obviously here to try and confuse people. Of course you'll be able to activate your store bought phones at home. They'll just have to verify your AT&T contract information at time of purchase to verify the sales price, just like they do for people who bought online. Actual activation of the phone has always been done at home using iTunes. http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1381 <- original iphone activation instructions

No, I am not obviously here to try and confuse people, and you obviously have not purchased an iPhone 3G or 3G[s] iPhone at either Apple or AT&T stores. I have done both, and purchased the original iPhone at the store as well.

My original iPhone (purchased first day of sale at Apple Store) they just gave me the unopened box at the Apple Store after signing your paperwork, but you got to take the phone home and do the religious-like experience of the "unboxing ceremony" on your own, at home. You plugged into iTunes to activate the phone, but the phone was "virgin" when you pulled it out of the box.

With both my 3G (purchased at an Apple Store first day of sale) and 3G[s] (purchased at an AT&T store first day of sale), the Apple/AT&T employee opened the box, despite my objections, pulled the phone out, plugged it into iTunes and activated the phone. At AT&T they even used my iPhone USB cable to activate a couple of other people's phones while i finished my paperwork.

I'm not going to do your research for you, but if you do some Google searching on the prior activations, you'll find all kinds of blogs complaining at the time(s) of the extended lines being extended even more because of the requirement to activate IN STORE prior to leaving. In fact, despite being only 30th or so in line for my 3G phone, I had to wait 3 or more hours in line, outside of the store, because the first group of people in the store couldn't leave with their phones since the activation servers were, as is typical, crushed by the traffic, and they couldn't let people go with the phones. This was at the Northridge, CA Apple Store for the 3G. Finally, to avoid riots, they started letting people take them unactivated, but once the server crush was over, they were back to not letting you leave without activating in the store.

Three different friends who bought three iPhone 3G phones and one 3G[s] over the last two years also went through the you must activate before leaving the store routine. I know, because I was there with them when they purchased in July '08, August '08, and again in February '09.

So, yes, obviously there is a method to activate outside of the store, but that wasn't the question I was responding to, and it wasn't the answer I gave. The question was whether or not you would be able to leave the store without activating, and my answer was that I thought it unlikely.

If you want to accuse me of being a troll, which is what you are effect, if not intent doing, make sure you have your facts, history, and information correct, and make sure you understand the context of my reply before making the accusation.

Edit: actually, here's a quick CNET article for you: http://news.cnet.com/8301-13579_3-9989293-37.html . Here's an excerpt, but you should read the whole story, which validates what my own experience was: "Server problems turned this year's iPhone 3G launch into an exercise in patience for Apple fans and employees, as eager buyers faced waits of up to two hours to get their iPhone 3Gs activated in Apple stores..."
  • Reply 32 of 60
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:

No, I am not obviously here to try and confuse people, and you obviously have not purchased an iPhone 3G or 3G[s] iPhone at either Apple or AT&T stores. I have done both, and purchased the original iPhone at the store as well.

My original iPhone (purchased first day of sale at Apple Store) they just gave me the unopened box at the Apple Store after signing your paperwork, but you got to take the phone home and do the religious-like experience of the "unboxing ceremony" on your own, at home. You plugged into iTunes to activate the phone, but the phone was "virgin" when you pulled it out of the box.

With both my 3G (purchased at an Apple Store first day of sale) and 3G[s] (purchased at an AT&T store first day of sale), the Apple/AT&T employee opened the box, despite my objections, pulled the phone out, plugged it into iTunes and activated the phone. At AT&T they even used my iPhone USB cable to activate a couple of other people's phones while i finished my paperwork..

I'd stay away from that Apple store. Their employees obviously don't know the process. You should have asked for a manager.

There was never any requirement to activate your phone in the store. Every iPhone I purchased left the store unopened and was activated at home.
  • Reply 33 of 60
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

I'd stay away from that Apple store. Their employees obviously don't know the process. You should have asked for a manager.

There was never any requirement to activate your phone in the store. Every iPhone I purchased left the store unopened and was activated at home.

Your personal experience aside, it was well advertised that you would have to activate the iPhone 3G IN-STORE. Here's an Engadget article about it: http://www.engadget.com/2008/06/09/iphone-3g-purchase-and-activation-will-be-in-store-only/. This article seems more AT&T store focused, but there's a CNET article that describes the process as being a requirement at Apple Stores as well: http://news.cnet.com/8301-13579_3-9983810-37.html

My experience for myself and with my friends was not just at that particular store. It was the same at the Sherman Oaks, Topanga Canyond, and Simi Valley Apple Stores, and the AT&T store in Northridge. It was also the same for the 3G and the 3G[s].

Here's a quote from AT&T in that article referenced above, which in hindsight made fools of them:

"There is no question that many enjoyed the convenience of at-home activation, but we also found that many others wanted to complete purchase and activation in one step so they could walk out of the AT&T store with their iPhone up and running. We have decided to take the latter approach and we think customers will like it. It will be especially helpful if any questions or issues arise during activation. They can be resolved on the spot and in-person.

This is the way our wireless phones have been activated for years and customers have been very happy with it.

And, activation should take just a few minutes."

• Reply 34 of 60
    rot'napplerot'napple Posts: 1,839member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

I'd stay away from that Apple store. Their employees obviously don't know the process.

It's Microsoft espionage...

That is why MS builds stores next to Apple's and decorates them in the same way... Training Ground.

That is why MS store employees dress similar to Apple's - Camouflage

Don't believe me, here's video proof
  • Reply 35 of 60
    Quote:

With both my 3G (purchased at an Apple Store first day of sale) and 3G[s] (purchased at an AT&T store first day of sale), the Apple/AT&T employee opened the box, despite my objections, pulled the phone out, plugged it into iTunes and activated the phone. At AT&T they even used my iPhone USB cable to activate a couple of other people's phones while i finished my paperwork.

I'm not going to do your research for you, but if you do some Google searching on the prior activations, you'll find all kinds of blogs complaining at the time(s) of the extended lines being extended even more because of the requirement to activate IN STORE prior to leaving. In fact, despite being only 30th or so in line for my 3G phone, I had to wait 3 or more hours in line, outside of the store, because the first group of people in the store couldn't leave with their phones since the activation servers were, as is typical, crushed by the traffic, and they couldn't let people go with the phones. This was at the Northridge, CA Apple Store for the 3G. Finally, to avoid riots, they started letting people take them unactivated, but once the server crush was over, they were back to not letting you leave without activating in the store.

Three different friends who bought three iPhone 3G phones and one 3G[s] over the last two years also went through the you must activate before leaving the store routine. I know, because I was there with them when they purchased in July '08, August '08, and again in February '09.

So, yes, obviously there is a method to activate outside of the store, but that wasn't the question I was responding to, and it wasn't the answer I gave. The question was whether or not you would be able to leave the store without activating, and my answer was that I thought it unlikely.

If you want to accuse me of being a troll, which is what you are effect, if not intent doing, make sure you have your facts, history, and information correct, and make sure you understand the context of my reply before making the accusation.

Edit: actually, here's a quick CNET article for you: http://news.cnet.com/8301-13579_3-9989293-37.html . Here's an excerpt, but you should read the whole story, which validates what my own experience was: "Server problems turned this year's iPhone 3G launch into an exercise in patience for Apple fans and employees, as eager buyers faced waits of up to two hours to get their iPhone 3Gs activated in Apple stores..."

My apologies. I had my 3GS delivered to my house after buying the original in the store using the process I linked to. Should have done this before replying.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=iphone+3GS+activation+

"Sheesh. Just kidding, but I am sure some Verizon-desperate fanboi will notice the same thing and actually believe it. I think I may tweet that just to stir things up with them. LOL." - Distorted Loop

It was this comment which made me question your validity as a source. The post where you suggest you were going to blatantly lie to confuse and stir things up with people.
  • Reply 36 of 60
    djintxdjintx Posts: 454member
    Quote:

I never had the 3G model, and so I can't attest to this first hand. And maybe my memory is slightly flawed, but here is what I remember. ..

When I got my original iPhone, I bought it, and took it home, no questions asked. Once I got home I connected to iTunes, picked a voice/data plan, and agreed to a 2 year agreement. From there I was ready to go. But, the phone didn't come out of the box at the store at all. It was all done at home.

Conversely, I remember hearing something when the 3G came out that made me scratch my head wondering why Apple would take a step backward on activation. I remember being under the impression that at the store the phone would either be activated right then, or at least the customer would agree to a 2 yr plan before leaving the store.

Maybe I am just remembering wrong. Can anyone whose first iPhone was the 3G verify if activation was done at the store or at home?
  • Reply 37 of 60
    djintxdjintx Posts: 454member
    Disregard my previous activation question, it was answered while i was typing my post.

Hopefully we can activate at home...assuming I get a phone as I was unable to successfully pre-order.

So, does anyone know how many phones per store (not counting pre-orders) we can expect to be at each store (on average)? Is it like 100, or 1,000 or somewhere in between? I just want to know if it is worth my time getting up early to go to the store at 7am or not.
  • Reply 38 of 60
    Quote:

I'm still not seeing folks having to activate at the apple store for the 3GS. This was definitely the case for the 3G though since they required all the phones be purchased in-store. I just called apple support and they say I will have the choice to activate at the store or at home if I buy from apple.
  • Reply 39 of 60
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DJinTX View Post

I never had the 3G model, and so I can't attest to this first hand. And maybe my memory is slightly flawed, but here is what I remember. ..

When I got my original iPhone, I bought it, and took it home, no questions asked. Once I got home I connected to iTunes, picked a voice/data plan, and agreed to a 2 year agreement. From there I was ready to go. But, the phone didn't come out of the box at the store at all. It was all done at home.

Conversely, I remember hearing something when the 3G came out that made me scratch my head wondering why Apple would take a step backward on activation. I remember being under the impression that at the store the phone would either be activated right then, or at least the customer would agree to a 2 yr plan before leaving the store.

Maybe I am just remembering wrong. Can anyone whose first iPhone was the 3G verify if activation was done at the store or at home?

I think your memory is correct. Not having purchased the 3G phone I forgot that they made the mistake of forcing in-store purchase only for the 3G. http://www.crunchgear.com/2008/07/02...vation-a-must/

The 3GS appears to be a different story though because they allowed at home shipment and home activation. My call to apple support confirms this will be the case with 4G if you buy from the apple store. So the process of buying without pre-ordering does not appear to be as arduous as what DistortedLoop has experienced in the past if you buy from an apple store.
  • Reply 40 of 60
    Quote:

My apologies. I had my 3GS delivered to my house after buying the original in the store using the process I linked to. Should have done this before replying.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=iphone+3GS+activation+

"Sheesh. Just kidding, but I am sure some Verizon-desperate fanboi will notice the same thing and actually believe it. I think I may tweet that just to stir things up with them. LOL." - Distorted Loop

It was this comment which made me question your validity as a source. The post where you suggest you were going to blatantly lie to confuse and stir things up with people.

Oh, LOL, that makes sense, but it's a context thing again, I posted that right after someone joked that the box was in 3D. I thought my joke just flowed with it, though the tweet comment was also meant to be part of the joke. By the way, I did tweet that, meant to be clearly satirical. Maybe it wasn't. ;-)

It's so easy to be misinterpreted in this kind of medium, isn't it?

Anyways, sorry to confuse.