iPhone 4 arrives early from Apple, but activation is unavailable

Comments

• Reply 21 of 41
    1brsfan1brsfan Posts: 5member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by "EjK View Post

I was hoping they would redesign those.

Same old earbuds and charger. Nothing new but the phone itself.
  • Reply 22 of 41
    artseartse Posts: 27member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 1brsfan View Post

I too just received my new iPhone in Portland, OR about an hour ago.

What color was the box?
  • Reply 23 of 41
    aduzikaduzik Posts: 94member
    Now all he has to do is disassemble it and break it and it'll be just like two months ago!
  • Reply 24 of 41
    cmf2cmf2 Posts: 1,427member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by artse View Post

Hmm, why is this box white and Mac Rumors box brown

The brown box is the shipping package. The white box is inside the brown box.
  • Reply 25 of 41
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by artse View Post

What color was the box?

packaging box is brown but the iphone box is white.
  • Reply 26 of 41
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zorinlynx View Post

Try transferring the sim card over? Maybe that'll work...

That's typically what I've seen done with phone upgrades anyway.

Therein lies my question... the iPhone4 has a Micro SIM... how do we transfer our number over from our regular SIM to the new iPhone4?

Probably a total NOOB question, but I mean, I'm still on my SIM from the original iPhone... my understanding is that the SIM holds your account/number info. Will be interesting to see how they port it over.
  • Reply 27 of 41
    hbghbg Posts: 8member
    Here is why it won't activate. This person must first download and install the new iTunes update. Otherwise, the new iPhone cannot sync with itunes right to activate. If he/she will do that and then attach the iPhone it will properly activate.
  • Reply 28 of 41
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hbg View Post

Here is why it won't activate. This person must first download and install the new iTunes update. Otherwise, the new iPhone cannot sync with itunes right to activate. If he/she will do that and then attach the iPhone it will properly activate.

That's correct. Mine would not even recognize the new iPhone when plugged in until I updated iTunes.
  • Reply 29 of 41
    ghostface147ghostface147 Posts: 1,629member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by meeksdigital View Post

Therein lies my question... the iPhone4 has a Micro SIM... how do we transfer our number over from our regular SIM to the new iPhone4?

Probably a total NOOB question, but I mean, I'm still on my SIM from the original iPhone... my understanding is that the SIM holds your account/number info. Will be interesting to see how they port it over.

They don't port anything. They just get the info from you and they will zap the micro-sim with your information, leaving your old one dead.
  • Reply 30 of 41
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

They don't port anything. They just get the info from you and they will zap the micro-sim with your information, leaving your old one dead.

Gotchya! Thanks for the info.
  • Reply 31 of 41
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bancho View Post

The new iPhone uses a micro sim.

Not a problem. MicroSIM has a smaller amount of plastic than the MiniSIM found in the other iPhones. It's the same thickness and the contact area is the same, all you have to do it cut with a pair of scissors. But if that doesn't work good look getting it back in your old phone.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kyle76 View Post

I hope the phone's camera takes better pictures. \

• Reply 32 of 41
    banchobancho Posts: 1,517member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Not a problem. MicroSIM has a smaller amount of plastic than the MiniSIM found in the other iPhones. It's the same thickness and the contact area is the same, all you have to do it cut with a pair of scissors. But if that doesn't work good look getting it back in your old phone.

That's certainly an option but like you said, it may not end well.
  • Reply 33 of 41
    leesureleesure Posts: 15member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nickcjr View Post

Hopefully the cops won't come barging in to confiscate all of his electronic devices and hard drives.

Lol...FTW!
  • Reply 34 of 41
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,056member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 1brsfan View Post

packaging box is brown but the iphone box is white.

Can I get a packaging box in white?
  • Reply 35 of 41
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Activation most certainly is available to people with iTunes up to date.
  • Reply 36 of 41
    7600/1327600/132 Posts: 51member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by eightzero View Post

Can I get a packaging box in white?

You can get your packaging box in any color you want, as long as it is brown.
  • Reply 37 of 41
    tofinotofino Posts: 697member
    It seems to make sense NOT to put a hold on Fedex for delivery on release day. It may help to not overwhelm the activation servers with the inevitable onslaught.
  • Reply 38 of 41
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Anyone know what the http user agent string is?

http://whatsmyuseragent.com/
  • Reply 39 of 41
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nickcjr View Post

Hopefully the cops won't come barging in to confiscate all of his electronic devices and hard drives.

He didn't confess on the Internet to paying a felony amount of money for an item which under Cali law was 'stolen' property. So no visit from the cops.

And the 'joke' isn't funny.

As for the early deliveries, if Apple really didn't want them getting out ahead they wouldn't. So either these were all ATT orders and they dropped the ball or Apple isn't that totally worried. In a way it makes sense, 600k units trying to activate on the same day would probably crash ATT's computers, not a good PR move after the pre-order issues. Having a few hundred hit the system early takes a bit of stress off the system. So a win.
  • Reply 40 of 41
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

That box image looks so faded like it was printed on construction paper.

The walmart one only looked glossy because it was still in the shrinkwrap... lol

http://photos.appleinsidercdn.com/walmart-100622.jpg