iPhone 4 launch could sell 1.5 million, FaceTime seen as key driver

Comments

• Reply 21 of 56
    aaarrrggghaaarrrgggh Posts: 1,609member
    The 600k number can only count legal sales-- home delivery, and maybe other retailers. What they sold in-store is much higher. The store I was supposed to pick one up at had over 400 people in line at 4:30 pm for reserves. Looking at people coming out, I would guess they are moving about 40-60 per hour, which should put them at 700 today. Multiply by 240 stores, 1.7MM plus the 600k for about 2.3MM.

...but they pissed me off with the way they handled it. There is no reason they shouldn't be able to process 200 customers per hour. Not going to waste this beautiful day in line...
  • Reply 22 of 56
    ochymingochyming Posts: 474member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpotOn View Post

Despite the yellow screens, despite the blocking of 3G reception when held in the left hand, despite iOS having a whopping 64 vulnerabilities fixed, despite all the glass, despite AT&T games and high prices...

...isn't the Reality Distortion Field just simply amazing?

Despite the fact that  spend much LESS than its competitors in propaganda to be able to distort anything?

Despite the fact that  haters do spend so much of their time plotting against  success, writing nonsense.

Apple still sell cakes?

Indeed magical!
  • Reply 23 of 56
    ochymingochyming Posts: 474member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Oh, I saw Bill O'Reilly making a FaceTime call to Glen Beck!

Apple is really doomed, those two Stupidest people on earth also use iPhone!
  • Reply 24 of 56
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Postulant View Post

lol... Apple's success infuriates them. You have to admit, it's kinda funny to watch.

most of the trolls have left ...but yes the sky is falling syndrome here is quite the giggle-rama

peace

• Reply 25 of 56
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ochyming View Post

Oops... Sorry, that was Steven Colbert making a FaceTime call to Jon Stewart!

• Reply 26 of 56
    pridonpridon Posts: 81member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ochyming View Post

If they are the stupidest people on earth, that bodes well for the ease of use of Facetime.
  • Reply 27 of 56
    I stood in line for the first iPhone three years ago and it was an great experience to be apart of how far we have come with technology. This time I tried to order online through the Apple website and finally was able to order online with AT&T. It has been the worst experience I have had ordering online. Since Tuesday the 15th, I had to call AT&T seven times to ensure the order was being processed. I had my Credit Card company call them and conference me into the call and still that did not work without calling again. Now today I received my order for my two iphones only to open the box and see the 16G iPhone and not the 32G iPhone. So I called AT&T again to see when I would receive my 32G iPhone and was told that more people ordered the 32G and that they did not know when it would arrive. I pointed out to them that two days ago I received an email from them thanking me for my purchase and hope I enjoy my new 3G iPhone. I never did get an email telling me that Apple could not meet the demand for all of the 32G iPhone's that was ordered and there would be a delay in shipping. I find it hard to believe that Apple and AT&T are clueless on not knowing it could not meet the demand since they had already received over 600,000 orders by Wednesday the 16th. As an Apple supporter, I have a Laptop, iPod first generation, the first iMac, Power PC, and the iMac Intel, along with two of the original iPhones. I was charged for two iPhones on my credit card and have only received one as of today. I was told by AT&T that it could be until the 28th before I get the 32G iPhone. I am not a happy customer. This is not how you treat a loyal customer that believes in your product and supports it. If you can't meet demand at least have the balls and give us the truths not the shaft.
  • Reply 28 of 56
    qualiaqualia Posts: 73member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bettieblue View Post

"Based on a survey of over 100 customers outside of two Apple stores "

Ummm yeah that is not a BIAS survey.

Went to bestbuy today at lunch to get a memory stick for a camera, and there were 3 or 4 iTard's lined up to get a blotchy, yellow screened iPhone 4.0.....my precious....my preeeeeeccciouuuus.....must have...must HAVE!!!!!!

If Android outsells the iPhone, Apple haters take that as proof that the Android platform is superior and that APPLE IS DOOMED! When Apple outsells Android, all it means is that everybody but them is an idiot. Such a wonderfully distorted reality they live in.
  • Reply 29 of 56
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Qualia View Post

If Android outsells the iPhone, Apple haters take that as proof that the Android platform is superior and that APPLE IS DOOMED! When Apple outsells Android, all it means is that everybody but them is an idiot. Such a wonderfully distorted reality they live in.

Android is doomed
  • Reply 30 of 56
    akhomerunakhomerun Posts: 386member
    The way I see it, the screen, processor, and form factor changes are the major things driving iPhone 4 sales.

To a lesser extent, maybe call quality and signal improvements.
  • Reply 31 of 56
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aaarrrgggh View Post

The 600k number can only count legal sales-- home delivery, and maybe other retailers. What they sold in-store is much higher. The store I was supposed to pick one up at had over 400 people in line at 4:30 pm for reserves. Looking at people coming out, I would guess they are moving about 40-60 per hour, which should put them at 700 today. Multiply by 240 stores, 1.7MM plus the 600k for about 2.3MM.

...but they pissed me off with the way they handled it. There is no reason they shouldn't be able to process 200 customers per hour. Not going to waste this beautiful day in line...

I would be shocked if the number is anywhere near that. Apple pushed out its online order delivery date well into July. AT&T stopped taking orders after the first day, claiming that they would have insufficient phones in stock to take any more orders (although in that case, it may have simply been AT&T's incompetence).

If Apple expected to have 2.3 M phones available the first day, they wouldn't have pushed out their deliveries into July. I think it's more likely that the number sold the first day will be closer to 700 K (maybe 800 K max) - most of the 600 K preorders and a token 100 K for the lucky customers who get into the stores early.
  • Reply 32 of 56
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by brucep View Post

Android is doomed

iOS, Android, and WebOS are all not doomed.

No matter how hard Apple tries, one device from one manufacturer on one cell phone network (in the US) cannot compete with dozens of devices on all networks, especially when the quality is so similar. Doesn't anyone remember Mac vs. Windows? Windows wasn't even any good, at least Android is a competent competitor. Every manufacturer creating Android devices add to it, since Android has the open source advantage PLUS the commercial backing of Google. It's like mashing up the best parts of the Windows and open source business models.

Apple is still far ahead, especially with iPhone 4. We'll see if that lasts.
  • Reply 33 of 56
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bettieblue View Post

"Based on a survey of over 100 customers outside of two Apple stores "

Ummm yeah that is not a BIAS survey.

Went to bestbuy today at lunch to get a memory stick for a camera, and there were 3 or 4 iTard's lined up to get a blotchy, yellow screened iPhone 4.0.....my precious....my preeeeeeccciouuuus.....must have...must HAVE!!!!!!

Well it's not terribly biased, as these are the people who are actually buying it and they are simply stating why they are buying it.
  • Reply 34 of 56
    extremeskaterextremeskater Posts: 2,248member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

I would be shocked if the number is anywhere near that. Apple pushed out its online order delivery date well into July. AT&T stopped taking orders after the first day, claiming that they would have insufficient phones in stock to take any more orders (although in that case, it may have simply been AT&T's incompetence).

If Apple expected to have 2.3 M phones available the first day, they wouldn't have pushed out their deliveries into July. I think it's more likely that the number sold the first day will be closer to 700 K (maybe 800 K max) - most of the 600 K preorders and a token 100 K for the lucky customers who get into the stores early.

Well whatever the numbers end up being I know the line at the Mall of Georgia today was around a 13 hour wait based on what people were telling me. I had to wait 30 mins just to get in the other line to get a case for my iPad.

One guy let me try out his iPhone and I have to say it was pretty slick. I really like the all glass even though I am not sure how well it will hold up long term. However new out of the box it was pretty sweet.
  • Reply 35 of 56
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Orlando View Post

Until they discover it only works between two iPhone4s and only when both parties are using WiFi. Until this changes, I cannot see FaceTime really taking off.

What we really need is a Skype app with the functionality of Facetime between different networks and phones.

The surprising thing is, most other iPhone competitors didn't really have front facing cameras so even with such an app the benefits wouldn't be that great. Probably because "if the iPhone doesn't have it, we don't need it."

Personally, I find the idea of video chatting a little weird. I do have a lot of awkwardness on the phone from missing facial expressions, but I would rather not replace that with the awkwardness of having to act like I'm face to face with someone without actually being there. Maybe it's something to get used to.
  • Reply 36 of 56
    daharderdaharder Posts: 1,580member
    "FaceTime seen as key driver"... until the reality of just how limited such a feature truly is when limited only to WiFi.
  • Reply 37 of 56
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by akhomerun View Post

Personally, I find the idea of video chatting a little weird. I do have a lot of awkwardness on the phone from missing facial expressions, but I would rather not replace that with the awkwardness of having to act like I'm face to face with someone without actually being there. Maybe it's something to get used to.

I think it would depend. I can't imagine using it for business, but I could picture using it all the time when I was traveling and my daughter was young. Although that probably won't be very practical until you can Facetime with a computer.

Speaking of Facetime, I have the perfect music for an ad. The Cornell University Hangovers did an a cappella song called "Facetime" a number of years ago. Basically, it just listed all the places you could go on campus to be seen. It would be easy to change the song to just list all the people you could talk with using Apple's Facetime. It's a very catchy song and would probably go over well.
  • Reply 38 of 56
    aaarrrggghaaarrrgggh Posts: 1,609member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

My premise is that the 600k only includes actual sales, not "reservations." They sell whatever they have; not having 2-3MM on launch would just be stupid , save a production problem.
  • Reply 39 of 56
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,960member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpotOn View Post

Competition will set in and a price war will ensue. Carriers will have to compete and lower their prices once again.

Oh, I see, just like what happened to iPod in the digital music player business. iRiver, Zune, and others just wiped them out with lower prices and feature matching.
  • Reply 40 of 56
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

Oh, I see, just like what happened to iPod in the digital music player business. iRiver, Zune, and others just wiped them out with lower prices and feature matching.

You're talking crazy now... no wait, the other thing, sanity.