Death Grip hysteria may end Monday with iOS 4.01

Comments

• Reply 61 of 613
    lilgto64lilgto64 Posts: 1,147member
    Made a trip to the local Apple store today - picked up an iPhone 4 (literally picked it up can't afford to by one till my bonus comes in) - and was able to repeatedly kill the bars by holding it in my right hand as I would while typing a text or email etc.

Also - Retina Display - wow - by comparison my current iPhone 2G looks fuzzy.
  • Reply 62 of 613
    skottichanskottichan Posts: 193member
    Following instructions given, I've still yet to be able to replicate the problem. On top of that, I'm a southpaw chick so I should be in the effected percentage. My iPhone4 is naked, and to be honest, had I not followed the instructions to replicate the problem, I would never have known i had a problem phone if I'd received one. I do not know how people can hold their phone like that. I kinda feel bad that there are people out there with effected iPhones, but at the same time, I'm glad my little Amaterasu is problem free.

With that said, the bumpers are cute, I would have gotten one, had they been in stock.
  • Reply 63 of 613
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lilgto64 View Post

Also - Retina Display - wow - by comparison my current iPhone 2G looks fuzzy.

It's more than just pixel size that makes the iPhone 4 display world above the previous models.
  • Reply 64 of 613
    isaidsoisaidso Posts: 750member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by str1f3 View Post

Truth is no one really knows the issue and it's conjecture (even on my part). If the software fix that's coming soon doesn't fix the issue then it is a hardware issue.

The big mistake that Apple made was to tellpeople they're holding it the wrong way.

Yep. What you said.
  • Reply 65 of 613
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Flawless?

you don't even own an iphone ???
  • Reply 66 of 613
    mandricardmandricard Posts: 486member
    A question:

This loss of signal that is happening (according to this article) has to do with the switching from one spectrum to another on ATT. It seems to be happening in England too. However, not in Germany. Do the carriers in England use the same two parts of the spectrum that ATT does?

Also-- if it is an issue of reporting signal, what does it matter if there is no signal (once one touches the phone)? One still can't make a call, correct?

Also-- while touching it is WiFi data speed affected?

Hope Springs Eternal,

Mandricard

AppleOutsider
  • Reply 67 of 613
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,857member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by st3v3 View Post

This is useful for people who get the issue with no decrease in quality/data speeds, but what about people that do? I don't think a misrepresentation of connection quality would lead to an ACTUAL decrease in connection quality.

If you read the article completely, you'd realize that this is not what the fix is reported to do:

Quote:

The fix is expected to address a issue in iOS 4 related to radio frequency calibration of the baseband. Readers who saw the original forum discussions say that the issue is believed to occur when switching frequencies; because the lag is allegedly not calibrated correctly, it results in the device reporting "no service" rather than switching to the frequency with the best signal to noise ratio.

So, while better reporting of signal strength may result from this, or be incorporated as another change, this fix looks to be actually functional and not merely cosmetic.
  • Reply 68 of 613
    Quote:

Apple's chief executive stoked a whiplash of blogger frenzy when he reportedly responded that users "were holding it the wrong way," blocking the signal with their hands.

This is a blatant misquote.

What he said was: "Non issue. Just avoid holding it in that way."

It still isn't a helpful response, but there's a big difference.
  • Reply 69 of 613
    tommcintommcin Posts: 108member
    Reading a number of these reactions to a weird problem is tiresome. The iPhone was no doubt tested in many different ways but the collection of tests cannot cover every possible situation that might occur in actual use. Unfortunately a number of under achievers are superb whiners. If they had ever achieved anything in their life, they would be holding it up as the way to to things right. None have.

As many have suggested, Apple is likely working hard to solve the problem and adding a new set of tests to their collection. Until they solve the problem, the whiners will get their chance to demonstrate their prowess at complaining about the achievements of others.
  • Reply 70 of 613
    oodlumoodlum Posts: 40member
    The fact that a bumper or case fixes it means that the external antenna is a design flaw, period.
  • Reply 71 of 613
    mi_satmi_sat Posts: 39member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TomMcIn View Post

Reading a number of these reactions to a weird problem is tiresome. The iPhone was no doubt tested in many different ways but the collection of tests cannot cover every possible situation that might occur in actual use.

Yeah, like the possible situation of holding the phone in your left hand.

Try plunking down $450 for two phones (incl tax) and be told that you're holding it wrong when you lose signal strength and the data speeds drop to near zero (per speedtest.net app). Absurd.
  • Reply 72 of 613
    mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,613member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TomMcIn View Post

Reading a number of these reactions to a weird problem is tiresome. The iPhone was no doubt tested in many different ways but the collection of tests cannot cover every possible situation that might occur in actual use. Unfortunately a number of under achievers are superb whiners. If they had ever achieved anything in their life, they would be holding it up as the way to to things right. None have.

As many have suggested, Apple is likely working hard to solve the problem and adding a new set of tests to their collection. Until they solve the problem, the whiners will get their chance to demonstrate their prowess at complaining about the achievements of others.

Are you an AAPL shareholder or something? What's it to you if someone complains about a genuine problem -- it surely isn't affecting you.

Some of you take complaints of others too personally for some reason, like a complaint against Apple is hurting you.

That being said, more problems; this time with the proximity sensor:

http://www.boygeniusreport.com/2010/...ning-properly/
  • Reply 73 of 613
    trumptmantrumptman Posts: 16,464member
    I really don't see what the issue is with this as a supposed problem. Others have already mentions that whether they think Apple ought to have discovered and done it, or whether they will do it themselves, there are plenty of ways to create a barrier to prevent skin contact from connecting the two antennas.

So at a minimum, whether it be you with some clear nail polish, or a Foxconn worker, or an Apple genius, it isn't a hard problem to solve for and that means that it can be taken care of easily and quickly.

If it gets bad enough I suppose Apple can send you all a bottle of clear nail polish (or preferred alternative) and a piece of paper with an iTunes code on it redeemable for $2 worth of songs to cover your actual effort.
  • Reply 74 of 613
    freddychfreddych Posts: 266member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by skottichan View Post

Following instructions given, I've still yet to be able to replicate the problem. On top of that, I'm a southpaw chick so I should be in the effected percentage. My iPhone4 is naked, and to be honest, had I not followed the instructions to replicate the problem, I would never have known i had a problem phone if I'd received one. I do not know how people can hold their phone like that. I kinda feel bad that there are people out there with effected iPhones, but at the same time, I'm glad my little Amaterasu is problem free.

With that said, the bumpers are cute, I would have gotten one, had they been in stock.

I replicated the effect on 12 different iPhone4's at the Apple store. Granted, they could have been all from the same bad batch, but if its a software problem, this is unlikely.

It may have more to do with the conductivity of your skin. If your skin is less conductive, its logical that you wouldn't experience the same effect.

QED you are a robot and your skin is made of silicone.
  • Reply 75 of 613
    freddychfreddych Posts: 266member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by trumptman View Post

If it gets bad enough I suppose Apple can send you all a bottle of clear nail polish (or preferred alternative) and a piece of paper with an iTunes code on it redeemable for $2 worth of songs to cover your actual effort.

Hmmm. I think I'll just wait till they fix it, and buy a phone that actually works out of the box.
  • Reply 76 of 613
    chopperchopper Posts: 246member
    Amongst other howlers, I thought this red herring was amusing for its inclusion...

"Webb also noted that neither the regulatory tests performed by the FCC during its approval process, nor the antenna efficiency tests performed by the carrier (AT&T) during its own device requirements testing take into account how a user's hand might play into the antenna design and the test results."

If that's even true, it sure doesn't absolve Apple from "tak[ing] into account how a user's hand might play into the antenna design and the test results".

So thanks DED for another terrific example of the 'flack' arts. I hope Apple pay you handsomely because you sure spend a considerable amount of time spinning for them.
  • Reply 77 of 613
    coolcatcoolcat Posts: 156member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTel View Post

Apple will work these issues out then everyone who bought will have a slick piece of hardware. I'm sure there are people out there actively trying to make this more of an issue than it really is. At least we don't have the class action lawsuits springing up.

Not yet....what'cha wanna bet if Apple's "fix" doesn't fix the problem. Then the lawsuit fags will be out in droves...
  • Reply 78 of 613

Wouldn't revert the baseband though.

[Taking Tin Foil Helmet Off]

Could it be that Apple, knowing that an unlock for iOS 4.0 is going to be released within hours of it's official public release, deliberately crippled the baseband in order to draw the unlock out and dissect it, fix the backdoor and release it with the baseband which doesn't have the drop outs, leaving the jailbreak community to wait for a new unlock to be found?

[Putting Tin Foil Helmet Back On]
  • Reply 79 of 613
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kotatsu View Post

I'm right handed but always hold phones in my left hand, then use my right hand to prod the touch screen. Isn't that how everyone uses them?

Funny, I'm left handed and my left ear is the "best" so I use my left hand to hold the phone. But when I need to type, I change to holding the phone n my right hand and type with the left. I haven't mastered the "two thumbs" typing mode yet.

I'm thinking of trying some red electrical tape I have and applying it to the antenna on the iPhone 4. Could add a little splash.
  • Reply 80 of 613
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dubiousutility View Post

Maybe/hopefully this can be fixed in software, but it's not just about measurement in the UI, nor is it a typical issue that affects all phones.

Nice post, good photos, well displayed. But it seems you are in a low RF area due to the speed you have when the phone is on the table. I'd expect speeds of around 3000 kbps but you are a little over 1000. I get similar results when I am in a low RF area. With strong RF, I can't show any difference in download speeds no matter how I hold the phone. My d/l speeds are around 3 mbps.

As we all know, low RF will increase the carrier to noise ratio and the data rate has to slow down. Just like Wi-Fi, the stronger the RF, the faster the download.

BTW, my iPhone is fantastic. Bought the video editing program. Great but needs a few minor improvements like letting you add titles to still photos.