Apple eyeing billion-dollar acquisitions, push into TV market - rumor

Comments

• Reply 81 of 116
    palegolaspalegolas Posts: 1,361member
    Exciting... I'm sure it's gonna work great... in the US.
  • Reply 82 of 116
    touch1touch1 Posts: 22member
    I don't care if it is a new box for the TV or a new TV.

I WANT CONTENT !!!

I am tired of paying $130 a month so I can watch 5 or 6 channels that interest me.

For that kind of money I want to be able to choose what channels I want to watch, period.

Most of the stuff I am getting is nothing but junk!
  • Reply 83 of 116
    ch2coch2co Posts: 41member
    This just in.....

Apple will buy Space X and begin launching their own satellite TV business. In addition they have agreed to buy HBO and Showtime. Apple will get out of selling earthbound boxes (computers, phones,

pads etc.) and focus its attention on signals from space. Grin
  • Reply 84 of 116
    christophbchristophb Posts: 1,482member
    They should think big and buy Disney. I hear they do some TV stuffs.

-Chris
  • Reply 85 of 116
    sevenfeetsevenfeet Posts: 466member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ChristophB View Post

They should think big and buy Disney. I hear they do some TV stuffs.

-Chris

Ironic considering that there were Disney buying Apple rumors for years while Apple was still struggling in the 90s. It won't happen, though.

Of course, you might pick Sony up these days for a billion or so.

On a serious note, Apple usually makes small acquisitions (<$250 million) they feel can provide big multiples of income after some nurturing. iTunes was the ultimate example of that. Going big for a billion dollar company would be a shift for them but I suspect they will still try to do the same thing they have been doing for their smaller acquisitions.
  • Reply 86 of 116
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,960member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sevenfeet View Post

Ironic considering that there were Disney buying Apple rumors for years while Apple was still struggling in the 90s. It won't happen, though.

Of course, you might pick Sony up these days for a billion or so.

On a serious note, Apple usually makes small acquisitions (<$250 million) they feel can provide big multiples of income after some nurturing. iTunes was the ultimate example of that. Going big for a billion dollar company would be a shift for them but I suspect they will still try to do the same thing they have been doing for their smaller acquisitions.

I'd like to see them buy back Pixar from Disney. Disney doesn't know what to do with it except force them to make more and more sequels (Toy Story) instead of being creative and developing new products. Then they need a cable channel.
  • Reply 87 of 116
    Well I think if Apple is going to get into the cable STB business, smartest thing to do is buy Motorola.

I work at a cable company and most of STB are Motorola's, the DAC is by Motorola, we have a lot of Motorola stuff in the head end. Motorola is also looking to get out of the STB business.

But if I was Apple i'd wait til Tru2Way is truly functional. If Apple would also get its head out of its ass and use blu ray that would be awesome as well. Apple designs the ultimate set top box with apps from the iOS, blu ray player, dvr cable box all in one.

Have 32 GIG of flash on board for your apps, guide data, and settings. A 500 GIG laptop drive in there for the DVR and multimedia storage. I know there is a lot of you saying already thats not enough then get an external drive to attach to it.

Then with the right software stream it back to your computer and throw your recorded show on your iWhatever.
  • Reply 88 of 116
    boeyc15boeyc15 Posts: 986member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by brucep View Post

apple could buy 49% of bing

apple could buy or mimic hulu/netflix

<< yet why should they since they get both for free right now>>

apple could buy 49% of xbox or 100% of xbox content

apple could buy EA

APPLE could hire 2000 american college grads and add to its SW dept to update all its ignored cores biz's

apple could buy EA

or buy nothing but

fire steve jobs and split the company into 5 divisions

1 mac // ipad div

2 ipod / touch/ phone div

3 SW including filemaker pro and all macOSx updates// filemaker pro SW div

4 cloud services including itunes /app stores / server farms /including retail locations / online store

5 pacific region //educational and business sales div

6 new business / RD proto type ,Micro div to be run by steve jobs and to be run as an additional floating div moving in and out of all 5 and whatever other area's 'they need to be including other firms at will .

rant s over

i am home for the next month recovering from surgery

lucky you guys have my inane wisdom 24/7

agree, focus on the core items

From biz point of view, it's bad form to keep all that cash laying around doing nothing. Either invest, lower margins to increase market share or give it to share holders.

IMO there is lots of room for improvement to core products. Like the idea of a media hub, but I think I read steve wants something alot faster than standard wifi. Also would like to see an ipadair(iPad laptop style, with a swivel screen that folds to iPad form factor).

making mobile me free would be a nice thing.

Lots of good ideas in the discussion, keep them coming.
  • Reply 89 of 116
    sheffsheff Posts: 1,407member
    Ah-mazing. It would be funny if I could get a boxee box top service before boxee box even comes out through apple TV. As long as they have youtube and rev3, maybe netflix as well it would be an awesome device.
  • Reply 90 of 116
    Adobe is worth 12B last time i checked - oh man if they could buy that. Autodesk is only 6B. Lets sell more macs!
  • Reply 91 of 116
    carniphagecarniphage Posts: 1,984member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Robert.Public View Post

Adobe is worth 12B last time i checked - oh man if they could buy that. Autodesk is only 6B. Lets sell more macs!

I don't see how buying either company would significantly add to Apple's profits.

Whereas the television thing really could.

C.
  • Reply 92 of 116
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

I'd like to see them buy back Pixar from Disney.

Disney did not buy Pixar.

Pixar took over Disney and was paid $7.4B to do so.

Apple did not buy NeXT

NeXT took over Apple and was paid $429M to do so.

C.
  • Reply 93 of 116
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

Hey Brucep hope you have a quick recovery!

Ps. Always enjoyed your comments!

Best

thanks dude
  • Reply 94 of 116
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    ok ok

a total media center plus all of what am apple mac OS CAN do connected to your tv screen and other screens in your house that holds 500 g OF media content ...

AND WOULD SYNC WITH ALL YOUR PLAY THINGS LIKE POD TOUCH PAD IOS4

hmm lets call this ATV

yet i feel the ipad already can do same with a few tweaks

so kill ATV

and make the ipad your new ATV plus add 2 1tb backups

and you can watch tv and your kids can play the ipad games

so mini as a ATV .. full computer stuff

ipad or itouch as ATV

doubles as its own portable fun machine and you can visit a local bar >> slave their tv and watch your own stuff

have a great day guys my kids want to compare my scars to franken steins

peace

• Reply 95 of 116
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    Quote:

I'd like to see them buy back Pixar from Disney. Disney doesn't know what to do with it except force them to make more and more sequels (Toy Story) instead of being creative and developing new products.

"Wall-E"?

"Up"? (Nominated for Best Picture at the Oscars, no less).
  • Reply 96 of 116
    jupiteronejupiterone Posts: 1,564member
    Quote:

Disney doesn't know what to do with it except force them to make more and more sequels (Toy Story) instead of being creative and developing new products. Then they need a cable channel.

Pixar Movies
  • Reply 97 of 116
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Carniphage View Post

I don't see how buying either company [Adobe or Autodesk] would significantly add to Apple's profits.

Other than, of course, the millions of graphics designers who switched to Windows when Adobe started making crappy Mac software. If Apple were to redo CS5 to take full advantage of the Mac's performance capabilities and usability, they'd get many of those designers back. Lots of new hardware sales - which is a very important consideration.

Quote:

Whereas the television thing really could.

I guess that depends on what 'television thing' you're referring to. Frankly, the margin on TVs is low enough and the value added falls outside of Apple's core competencies, so I don't see any value in selling a TV. If you're talking about some kind of a set top box, that's a possibility, but doesn't require an acquisition (unless they were to buy Slingbox).
  • Reply 98 of 116
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Other than, of course, the millions of graphics designers who switched to Windows when Adobe started making crappy Mac software. If Apple were to redo CS5 to take full advantage of the Mac's performance capabilities and usability, they'd get many of those designers back. Lots of new hardware sales - which is a very important consideration.

Adobe already make okay Mac software.

If a handful of graphic designers returned to Mac because Apple caused Adobe to sabotage its PC software, I am not sure the resulting profits would be even visible in the bottom line. Everyone is buying Macs now.

At one point in time the revenues from computer sales to graphic designers was an important issue for Apple. Now it is not. Apple's computer sales are heading in the right direction. But consumer electronic profits from phones and iPods and iTunes music have passed sales of Macs.

That fact is what will determine Apple's next steps to generate growth. The TV thing is ripe for growth.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

I guess that depends on what 'television thing' you're referring to. Frankly, the margin on TVs is low enough and the value added falls outside of Apple's core competencies, so I don't see any value in selling a TV. If you're talking about some kind of a set top box, that's a possibility, but doesn't require an acquisition (unless they were to buy Slingbox).

Manufacturing televisions is not going to make any money for anyone. Nor is selling set top boxes.

The goal is Apple doing with home movies and TV, the same thing as it has already done with music.

Apple displaced the traditional network of record stores, CD publishers and so on - with a single Internet based distribution network - leveraged by an elegant playback device. iTunes benefits consumers, offering lower prices and more choice. It also benefits content creators by allowing them access to a huge market. It's only the middle men who lose out.

Apple clearly want to repeat the same trick with TV. Displacing traditional networks, of disc vendors, cable channels and satellite broadcasters, with a single internet-based media network - which delivers content direct to viewers via some elegant TV add-on.

The Intel based AppleTV was not it. It was too expensive for consumers - did too little and became one of many set-top boxes competing for space beside the big screen.

The project needs a reboot. The hardware needs to be cheaper. Consumers need to subscribe to content services, not compelled to buy single shows. The content deals need to be better. The device needs to be better integrated with the TV and do more. Ideally, the device should be seamlessly integrated into the TV - so that it is invisible.

The real breakthrough in nailing this gigantic market will be solving the advertising problem. For decades, advertising is stuck in a stone-age dumb model. Advertisers pay too much to push their stuff blindly to all consumers, regardless of demographics, regardless of age or gender. This is bad for advertisers and bad for viewers.

The future is targeted advertising. Relevant to the consumer, laser targeted for the advertiser.

Google have been wanting to do this for a while. But I'd wager that Jobs is keen to drink their milkshake before they have had the first suck.

Jobs will secure better content deals. - And after failing the first time, he will get the hardware right. A tiny A4 powered slab - paid for entirely by content subscription and advertising revenues will potentially have the power to upset the TV applecart in much the same way as the iPod changed music.

C.
  • Reply 99 of 116
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

Disney did not buy Pixar.

Pixar took over Disney and was paid $7.4B to do so.

Apple did not buy NeXT

NeXT took over Apple and was paid $429M to do so.

C.

Awesome!
  • Reply 100 of 116
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:

Adobe already make okay Mac software.

If a handful of graphic designers returned to Mac because Apple caused Adobe to sabotage its PC software, I am not sure the resulting profits would be even visible in the bottom line. Everyone is buying Macs now.

At one point in time the revenues from computer sales to graphic designers was an important issue for Apple. Now it is not. Apple's computer sales are heading in the right direction. But consumer electronic profits from phones and iPods and iTunes music have passed sales of Macs..

You're underestimating the value of computers. It's still a multibillion dollar business for Apple - and the high end systems bought by graphics designers are undoubtedly very profitable.

I won't argue as to whether Adobe makes 'okay' Mac software because that's a matter of definition. But they clearly don't make great Mac software like they once did. Look at how long it has taken them to take advantage of Apple technologies. At one time, 90% of graphics designers (and 90% of Adobe revenue was from Macs. Today, it's less than half. If Apple could make Adobe's software great on Macs again, many of those designers would come back.

Let's say Apple could convince only 1 M high end graphics designers and 1 M low end graphics people to come back. The high end person might buy a $5,000 computer every year and the low end person maybe a $3,000 computer every other year. That's over $6 Billion per year in new revenue.

Quote:

That fact is what will determine Apple's next steps to generate growth. The TV thing is ripe for growth.

Manufacturing televisions is not going to make any money for anyone. Nor is selling set top boxes.

The goal is Apple doing with home movies and TV, the same thing as it has already done with music.

Apple displaced the traditional network of record stores, CD publishers and so on - with a single Internet based distribution network - leveraged by an elegant playback device. iTunes benefits consumers, offering lower prices and more choice. It also benefits content creators by allowing them access to a huge market. It's only the middle men who lose out.

Apple clearly want to repeat the same trick with TV. Displacing traditional networks, of disc vendors, cable channels and satellite broadcasters, with a single internet-based media network - which delivers content direct to viewers via some elegant TV add-on.

The Intel based AppleTV was not it. It was too expensive for consumers - did too little and became one of many set-top boxes competing for space beside the big screen.

The project needs a reboot. The hardware needs to be cheaper. Consumers need to subscribe to content services, not compelled to buy single shows. The content deals need to be better. The device needs to be better integrated with the TV and do more. Ideally, the device should be seamlessly integrated into the TV - so that it is invisible.

The real breakthrough in nailing this gigantic market will be solving the advertising problem. For decades, advertising is stuck in a stone-age dumb model. Advertisers pay too much to push their stuff blindly to all consumers, regardless of demographics, regardless of age or gender. This is bad for advertisers and bad for viewers.

The future is targeted advertising. Relevant to the consumer, laser targeted for the advertiser.

Google have been wanting to do this for a while. But I'd wager that Jobs is keen to drink their milkshake before they have had the first suck.

Jobs will secure better content deals. - And after failing the first time, he will get the hardware right. A tiny A4 powered slab - paid for entirely by content subscription and advertising revenues will potentially have the power to upset the TV applecart in much the same way as the iPod changed music.

C.

So, after waving your hands and solving all the problems, the world is wonderful. There are a lot of problems there:

- Getting hardware down to a price that you consider 'cheap'.

- Getting better content deals. Apple hasn't been able to get great content pricing on iTunes, why do you think they'd get a great deal on 'the TV thing'?

- Dealing with competition. If Apple did get a reasonable content price, everyone and his brother would have at least as good a deal (or better if the way publishers are treating Amazon over music access is any indication). Quite a few people have a big head start over Apple.

-

Could Apple do something great? Sure. But the problem is trying to do something great that they could make money from. Jobs already said that they have no idea how to do that in the TV business. I'm not holding my breath.