Verizon could sell 12M iPhones a year, but don't 'pop the champagne'

2

Comments

  • Reply 21 of 60
    desarcdesarc Posts: 642member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by slynke View Post


    If the iPhone goes to Verizon it going to be the modern day Custer's Last Stand, the last hurrah of the iPhone before it gets overtaken and made a niche product by the android army.



    it would be a niche product that i would happily use. Kinda like my MacPro, Macbook pro, or the dozen apple computers i've had before them. although i do have 77 shares hoping that Apple unleashes the iPhone on all carriers soon, so that it's market share can match the iPod.
  • Reply 22 of 60
    jupiteronejupiterone Posts: 1,564member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ChronoFlare View Post


    The only annoying thing that Verizon does is throw their logo onto the phone wherever they can (I have a big Verizon logo on both the front and back of my Moto Droid).



    I'm sure Verizon would want a huge logo somewhere on their iPhone, but Apple would never allow for that.



    For all the technical/business reasons why Apple could not/would not create a phone for Verizon, I think the biggest barrier is Verizon themselves. Does anyone really think Verizon would be totally 100% hands off the hardware, software, advertising? Does anyone think Jobs would settle for less from Verizon?
  • Reply 23 of 60
    cvaldes1831cvaldes1831 Posts: 1,832member
    This is the most likely scenario. After all, Apple allegedly pitched the iPhone originally to Verizon before they partnered with AT&T. My guess is that the two of them couldn't come to agreement on business terms (and haven't been able to since). There's probably a business development person at Apple who contacts Verizon Wireless once a month asking if they're interested.



    It's not like Apple isn't capable of designing and building a CDMA-based iPhone (my guess is that there are dozens of CDMA iPhone prototypes in Apple's labs).



    Jobs isn't going to cede control to Verizon. He didn't and he won't. Verizon needs to play by Apple's rules if they want the iPhone. Remember, Verizon CEO Ivan Seidenberg was practically begging for the iPhone a couple of months ago.
  • Reply 24 of 60
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cvaldes1831 View Post


    The biggest reason I don't see Verizon getting the iPhone in the near future is the fact that Apple has not made an surge of hiring CDMA engineers (which would be covered by the tech media). I actually believe that there are CDMA iPhones somewhere in a lab on the Apple campus, but there's no way that these prototypes are near steady state production quality. For Apple to reach that level, they would need to hire a bunch of people specialized in CDMA phone design and implementation.

    ........

    Expanding iPhone to T-Mobile USA is a far more likely next step for Apple. Adding a 3G chip that can handle T-Mobile's unique AWS frequency is relatively easy. T-Mobile has been quite happy over the years to have jailbroken iPhones on its network (no 3G data, just EDGE). T-Mobile's silence makes them a far more serious candidate to be the next American iPhone carrier than Verizon with their tsunami of silly rumors.



    I agree. With the focus on continued updates to the iPad/iPhone and iOS, I can't see the need for or resources for adding CDMA for the short-term (4 years).

    A better use of engineers would be on continual improvements to the iPhone/iPad.



    The lack of carrier choice does need to be addressed in the US, but t-mobile is a much easier choice for that especially considering their new 5-frequency GSM chips.
  • Reply 25 of 60
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JupiterOne View Post


    For all the technical/business reasons why Apple could not/would not create a phone for Verizon, I think the biggest barrier is Verizon themselves. Does anyone really think Verizon would be totally 100% hands off the hardware, software, advertising? Does anyone think Jobs would settle for less from Verizon?



    That's very true. I hadn't thought about the fact that AT&T basically does no advertising for the iPhone, whereas Verizon would probably want to run it's own ad campaign. It would also change their current advertising campaign a great deal.



    I think Verizon could stay off of the software for the most part, but they might try to squeeze in their own hardware requests that Apple would likely refuse. Verizon severely locks down their basic hum-dum cellphones, but there is nothing in the software of my Android device that would suggest that it's a Verizon device (apart from the "Droid eye" at bootup).



    Then again, AT&T has specific things that they like to keep off their network for certain amounts of time as well (MMS, Facetime, tethering). All of these companies start to look the same in the end.
  • Reply 26 of 60
    zoolookzoolook Posts: 657member
    Quote:

    or just the fear of a possible Verizon deal could have inspired AT&T.



    AT&T know full well when their deal expires, so their reasoning for locking people in would not be out of 'fear' of something 'maybe' happening, it would be because they know.



    The real question is whether or not Verizon and Apple can work together, because from what I know of Verizon, they like to be at the wheel, not on the back seat.



    I still think a deal with T-Mobile and/or Sprint is more likely.
  • Reply 27 of 60
    trumptmantrumptman Posts: 16,464member
    Someone should chart the timing of these Verizon rumors. I'm starting to wonder if they happen just to help pop the stock after certain bad day so people can buy and then swoop in and make some quick cash.



    AppleInsider, that woud be a great story to research. Verizon rumor to Apple stock pop ratio. Apple is down $10. If someone help it quickly recover they can be in and out quickly with some cash on hand all for merely hinting the same old thing.
  • Reply 28 of 60
    jerseymacjerseymac Posts: 408member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Booga View Post


    My guess is that this rumor is being spread by Verizon's marketing department to keep people from switching to AT&T to get the iPhone 4.



    Could be aimed at fence sitters, but should have happened before the launch weekend.
  • Reply 29 of 60
    jerseymacjerseymac Posts: 408member
    Dear Verizon:



    You have a great network. And I would love to have an iPhone that could make phone calls.



    But please! Shit or get off the pot.



    Thank you for your attention.
  • Reply 30 of 60
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post


    The impact for Apple would be huge, he believes, adding at least 12 million additional iPhone sales in the U.S. annually.



    Is this factoring in the people who would leave AT&T?

    Apple would not gain a sale, it would simply be sold via a different carrier.
  • Reply 31 of 60
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,705member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post


    A Veriz-z-z-z



    -z-z-z-z.... Nothing more sleep-inducing than rehashing old speculative rumors ... over, and over, and over...
  • Reply 32 of 60
    aiaddictaiaddict Posts: 487member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jerseymac View Post


    Could be aimed at fence sitters, but should have happened before the launch weekend.



    It did. And the week before that. And the week before that. And the week...



    There have been non-stop iPhone on Verizon rumors for years. If they keep saying it enough, someday they will be correct.



    My best guess is that Apple will offer unlocked and unsubsidized LTE iPhones in the US market starting in June or July 2012, much like they do in other countries with no exclusive contracts today. It is remotely possible for summer 2011, but they would be one of the first LTE handsets and I am not sure Apple will bet on an early chip. By summer 2012, I would also expect Verizon to have pretty good LTE coverage and VoLTE rolled out, so you will be able to use an LTE iPhone on Verizon without the need for a CDMA fallback. The coverage will not be as good as a LTE/CDMA hybrid, but it may be pretty close if Verizon is agressive with their 700 mhz rollout. If it happens in 2011, you will likely need a CDMA chip.
  • Reply 33 of 60
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,709member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ChronoFlare View Post


    I disagree to some extent. When it comes to the smartphones Verizon doesn't touch the software all that much, especially in the case of Android. That is more in the hands of the manufacturer of the phone (which has it's own problems).



    Only because the success of the iPhone. The first Blackberry on Verizon to get wifi didn't ship until a year after the first iPhone. It's always amusing when Verizon proponents decry Apple for being closed - what a short and selective memory they have
  • Reply 34 of 60
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DocNo42 View Post


    Only because the success of the iPhone. The first Blackberry on Verizon to get wifi didn't ship until a year after the first iPhone. It's always amusing when Verizon proponents decry Apple for being closed - what a short and selective memory they have



    Not sure that I ever said I was a proponent of Verizon, or that I thought Apple was being closed....



    I am a Verizon subscriber, but that has more to do with work/everyone else I talk to having Verizon. Though, admittedly, I've driven to several areas where people with AT&T have little to no signal, and especially no 3G, and I have full bars 3G (rural areas). For that, I am grateful.



    I've had other smartphones with Verizon that weren't locked down, before the iPhone.
  • Reply 35 of 60
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,227member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Inklings2 View Post


    If Apple really wants to sell phones, they will make phone available to Verizon before the holidays. Verizon could sell several million in December alone.



    AT&T must have said... NO



    imo AT&T exchanged a shorter iphone exclusivity for the Ipad launch with AT&T only.
  • Reply 36 of 60
    cvaldes1831cvaldes1831 Posts: 1,832member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jacob1varghese View Post


    I agree. With the focus on continued updates to the iPad/iPhone and iOS, I can't see the need for or resources for adding CDMA for the short-term (4 years).

    A better use of engineers would be on continual improvements to the iPhone/iPad.



    The lack of carrier choice does need to be addressed in the US, but t-mobile is a much easier choice for that especially considering their new 5-frequency GSM chips.



    Oddly enough, MacRumors is reporting today that Apple recently (before the iPhone 4 launch) posted a number of job listings, including eight related to RF and antenna engineering. This is good news for the future of the iDevice lineups.



    Apple asked the FCC for a 45-day(?) blackout period concerning FCC registration documents. There's a slight chance that the iPhone 4 has the 5-frequency 3G chip and may be poised to release the handset on T-Mobile USA in the not-too-distant future.



    Hmmm, I've waited this long for the iPhone, perhaps I can wait a few more months to see if it shows up on T-Mobile (I get pretty good T-Mobile reception at home whereas AT&T is useless inside my place).
  • Reply 37 of 60
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,709member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AIaddict View Post


    By summer 2012, I would also expect Verizon to have pretty good LTE coverage and VoLTE rolled out, so you will be able to use an LTE iPhone on Verizon without the need for a CDMA fallback. The coverage will not be as good as a LTE/CDMA hybrid, but it may be pretty close if Verizon is agressive with their 700 mhz rollout.



    So you think Verizon can basically build out enough new infrastructure in two years to at least match AT&T?



    Based on what?



    Also remember that the GSM based LTE technology Verizon will be moving to doest carry as well as CDMA so they will need more towers - and getting new tower sites is non-trivial on multiple levels.



    If verizon eliminates the need for CDMA in 80% of their current coverage area in five years from their first LTE deployment I will be amazed. And that's probably laughably aggressive.
  • Reply 38 of 60
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,035member
    what he did not factor in that the all the phones Apple sold to AT&T when to the same few customers like my wife she on her 3rd iphone, so they did not add her 3 times, I highly doubt VZ customer will by 12M iphones in 1 year maybe over 3 yrs.
  • Reply 39 of 60
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,709member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ChronoFlare View Post


    Not sure that I ever said I was a proponent of Verizon, or that I thought Apple was being closed....



    I never said you were. I probably should have spaced the comment out to indicate it was more a general observation.
  • Reply 40 of 60
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,035member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DocNo42 View Post


    So you think Verizon can basically build out enough new infrastructure in two years to at least match AT&T?



    Based on what?



    Also remember that the GSM based LTE technology Verizon will be moving to doest carry as well as CDMA so they will need more towers - and getting new tower sites is non-trivial on multiple levels.



    If verizon eliminates the need for CDMA in 80% of their current coverage area in five years from their first LTE deployment I will be amazed. And that's probably laughably aggressive.





    I have to agree, VZ and AT&T do not own most of the towers anymore, they rent space on third party towers. If you look around many of these towers are already crowded with multiply providers and many have no room to add more antennas or even switching equipment at the base of the tower, VZ will be hard pressed to role out LTE in a timely manor.
Sign In or Register to comment.