iPhone 4 gyroscope X-rayed, likely to be added to future iPad

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Two new looks at the gyroscope found in Apple's iPhone 4 offer a closer examination of the technology behind the motion sensor, as well as an indication that the feature will be added to a future revision of the iPad.

Empty iPad slot hints at future gyroscope

UBMTechInsights took a look inside Apple's new iPhone 4 and found it was made by STMicroelectronics. The three-axis MEMS gyroscope is made by the same company that produces the accelerometer found both the iPhone and iPad.

Steve Bitton, senior analyst with TechInsights, noted that there is an empty slot on the iPad motherboard, perfectly sized to fit the gyroscope found in the iPhone 4. It is also located next to the accelerometer, and within proximity of the application processor.

The discovery suggests that Apple originally planned to have a gyroscope in the iPad, released in April in the U.S., but ultimately decided to leave the sensor out of the first-generation hardware.

But the pin out on the iPad motherboard doesn't match the STMicroelectronics gyroscope found in the iPhone 4 -- instead, Bitton said, it resembles a competing three-axis sensor made by InvenSense.

"When Apple's iPad first came out, the InvenSense gyro was the only three-axis digital gyro on the market, so Apple may have designed its board with that component in mind," the report said. "Indeed, Apple may have included it in the iPad initially, but may have ultimately decided against using it in either device."

iFixit offers a look inside the iPhone 4 gyroscope

iFixit has also conducted a closer look at the iPhone 4 gyroscope, with the help of Chipworks. It also revealed that the gyroscope is made by STMicroelectronics, labeled AGD1 2022 FP6AQ. The microelectromechanical system (MEMS) integrates electronic and mechanical components at a very small scale to measure the orientation of the device.

X-ray photos of the gyroscope found that it is nearly identifcal to the off-the-shelf STMicroelectronics L3G4200D model. It includes a "proof mass" that is displaced in X, Y and Z directions by Coriolis forces when a user rotates the phone. Another die found inside converts those capacitive signals into a digital form that can be interpreted by the iPhone 4.

The gyroscope allows for far more precise movements with the device. One of the first App Store offerings to demonstrate this capability is the game Eliminate:GunRange (iTunes link), a $0.99 title from ngmoco, Inc. The software allows users to conduct virtual target practice by aiming their onscreen gun with precise movements of the device, something that is only capable with the gyroscope found in the iPhone 4.

iFixit and Chiwporks also included a number of photos of other MEMS gyroscopes not found in the iPhone 4, in the interest of showing off their incredible microscopic designs.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 26
    rbonnerrbonner Posts: 635member
    Borg technology to be sure!
  • Reply 2 of 26
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    I hope the set designers of Tron (2010) used microscopic images of microchips as their inspiration.
  • Reply 3 of 26
    ivladivlad Posts: 742member
    WOW, this looks pretty amazing. Too bad monetary system is holding technology back. Nano technology is such a dream.
  • Reply 4 of 26
    macapfelmacapfel Posts: 575member
    I know it's not 100% related to the topic here, but I just came back from the Apple store on Regent street and held the iPad in my hand for the first tim - fantastic machine! However, I also held the iPhone 4 in my hand - so I am postponing my purchase of the iPad 'cause: when's the Retina display coming to the iPad? I will buy one then instantly!
  • Reply 5 of 26
    monstrositymonstrosity Posts: 2,234member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacApfel View Post

I know it's not 100% related to the topic here, but I just came back from the Apple store on Regent street and held the iPad in my hand for the first tim - fantastic machine! However, I also held the iPhone 4 in my hand - so I am postponing my purchase of the iPad 'cause: when's the Retina display coming to the iPad? I will buy one then instantly!

You probably have a long wait. I doubt it will be next revision. So your looking at at least two years, and probably more.
  • Reply 6 of 26
    cvaldes1831cvaldes1831 Posts: 1,832member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacApfel View Post

A Retina display for the iPad would be too expensive at this time. On a more fundamental level, it's doubtful that the display manufacturers could provide enough parts for Apple's iPad production quantities.

Apple's partners struggled to provide enough of the IPS displays (I believe they had already second sourced the display and qualed a third supplier after the initial launch), so much so that they delayed the international release.

My guess is that a Retina display on the iPad may be two, three, even four years away.
  • Reply 7 of 26
    damn_its_hotdamn_its_hot Posts: 1,209member
    Can anyone shed any light on the next to the last picture. I can see that in the one Apple is using there are the "tuning forks" in the 4 corners. the last one obviously shows the 2 dies interconnected but wants up with the other one. I really don't get what we are looking at there. Cool pix for sure.

Ideas anyone? (See my edit comments - I got answers by reading the URL ref'd article.)
  • Reply 8 of 26
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cvaldes1831 View Post

My guess is that a Retina display on the iPad may be two, three, even four years away.

LOL...thanks for your guess. I guess it's 10 years away...maybe 20.
  • Reply 9 of 26
    xsamplexxsamplex Posts: 214member
    An article that doesn't just wax rhapsodic over how much product Apple is shipping. It actually looks at the technologies of Apple. More please!
  • Reply 10 of 26
    damn_its_hotdamn_its_hot Posts: 1,209member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by monstrosity View Post

...I doubt it will be next revision. So your looking at at least two years...

Probably correct, but I hope not.

Maybe a smaller iPad but with a retina display that could do at least 720p if not 1080p. Quick calcs make it appear that a 7" diagonal would fit really well and give you potentially a much higher resolution device. Image size would be zoomable so you could have the rumored in between size. I don't think I would personally ever want one but I can see a use for them. Just a thought.

Personally I (guess I) can wait (if I have too) for the Retina display at ~10" diagonal for a couple yrs.
  • Reply 11 of 26
    paulmjohnsonpaulmjohnson Posts: 1,380member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iVlad View Post

WOW, this looks pretty amazing. Too bad monetary system is holding technology back. Nano technology is such a dream.

These things are amazing. I've worked in semiconductor manufacture for the past 15 years, and I continue to be amazed by SEM pictures.
  • Reply 12 of 26
    Fielders Choice:

1. An X-rayed Gyroscope? Hold the presses, alert MSNBC & FOX News. This is huge!

2. Gyroscope, eh? With an X-ray can you see the tziki sauce, tomatoes, and pita?
  • Reply 13 of 26
    obiobi Posts: 3member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PaulMJohnson View Post

These things are amazing. I've worked in semiconductor manufacture for the past 15 years, and I continue to be amazed by SEM pictures.

I work for a semiconductor tool manufacturer that makes the machines that are used to create these chips. off-course I am little bit proud that our machines are used to manufacture Apple chips.;-)

The development of these machines and their (future) capabilities is what makes Moore's law 'clock' tick. These machines can create structures with the thickness of 1/1500 of an human hair.
  • Reply 14 of 26
    jetzjetz Posts: 1,293member
    This is why I am waiting for next year's iPad. I foresee the Retina Display, the gyroscope and maybe a front-facing camera. This iPad is good. The next one, I have a feeling, will be great.
  • Reply 15 of 26
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    These MEMs units aren't real gyroscopes. Real gyroscopes level and orient with the mass that's spinning at high speeds. These are really positional sensors.

But with the rest of the electronics they allow US to do the positioning
  • Reply 16 of 26
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cvaldes1831 View Post

A Retina display for the iPad would be too expensive at this time. On a more fundamental level, it's doubtful that the display manufacturers could provide enough parts for Apple's iPad production quantities.

Apple's partners struggled to provide enough of the IPS displays (I believe they had already second sourced the display and qualed a third supplier after the initial launch), so much so that they delayed the international release.

I put this into more numerical terms in another thread. The short of it, even if the quadrupled the pixel count like they did with the iPhone 4 over the previous iPhones it still wouldn't be a Retinal Display despite how impressive that display would be.
    While that would rock, I don't that will be feasible for several years. That includes having a cost effective "retinal display" that size and making the best use of power for a 10" display with that many more pixels.

Something else to consider is the iPad's display is only 132ppi, which is still lower than the original iPhone at 163ppi. If we take the minimum density ppi for 20/20 site of 286ppi at a 12" distance and we double the pixels on each access (4x as many tolal pixels) we still only get 264ppi. If people are complaining that 326ppi can't be refereed to as Retinal Display, then I am not sure Apple would be so bold as to call 264ppi by this new marketing term.

Still, it would be great to have that on the iPad -and- have it maintain 10+ hours of video on one charge.
  • Reply 17 of 26
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

While that would rock, I don't that will be feasible for several years. That includes having a cost effective "retinal display" that size and making the best use of power for a 10" display with that many more pixels.

It certainly would rock to have an iPad with practically the same resolution as a 30" Cinema Display or a 27" iMac

Bring it on!
  • Reply 18 of 26
    jetzjetz Posts: 1,293member
    Even without a better display on the iPad (which I still think will happen), I'd rather wait for things like the gyro and the front-facing camera and maybe even higher capacity in the base model.
  • Reply 19 of 26
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by xSamplex View Post

An article that doesn't just wax rhapsodic over how much product Apple is shipping. It actually looks at the technologies of Apple. More please!

I agree.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Damn_Its_Hot View Post

Probably correct, but I hope not.

Maybe a smaller iPad but with a retina display that could do at least 720p if not 1080p. Quick calcs make it appear that a 7" diagonal would fit really well and give you potentially a much higher resolution device. Image size would be zoomable so you could have the rumored in between size. I don't think I would personally ever want one but I can see a use for them. Just a thought.

Personally I (guess I) can wait (if I have too) for the Retina display at ~10" diagonal for a couple yrs.

There may be a cost issue in making a large, high density screen. It may also be an issue of having silicon that can drive the screen. At least with the iOS devices, Apple doesn't have to wait for the affordability of large displays or trying to get developers to support it.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

These MEMs units aren't real gyroscopes. Real gyroscopes level and orient with the mass that's spinning at high speeds. These are really positional sensors.

Very true, but I would expect that Apple chose their words to be understood without too much explanation. Magnetometer is more correct than compass, but people understand what a compass is. I expect the same with "gyro" over a more accurate term. Then there is a newer technology that replaces the old, the metaphors and descriptions remain the same. Digital books really don't have pages either, nor is it technically necessary to simulate page turning or the binding and pages of a paper book.
  • Reply 20 of 26
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

I agree.

Me too.

Quote:

There may be a cost issue in making a large, high density screen. It may also be an issue of having silicon that can drive the screen. At least with the iOS devices, Apple doesn't have to wait for the affordability of large displays or trying to get developers to support it.

A very high cost. I spoke to someone in NEC about that, the head monitor designer, whom I know. He said that now, a display like that would cost several thousand dollars. In five years it *could* be possible for a thousand, or less.

Quote:

Very true, but I would expect that Apple chose their words to be understood without too much explanation. Magnetometer is more correct than compass, but people understand what a compass is. I expect the same with "gyro" over a more accurate term. Then there is a newer technology that replaces the old, the metaphors and descriptions remain the same. Digital books really don't have pages either, nor is it technically necessary to simulate page turning or the binding and pages of a paper book.

The industry is calling them gyroscopes, so Apple is as well. I have nothing really against it, but it's wrong.