AdMob: 57% of 44 million iOS devices are from outside the US

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Apple was the top device manufacturer on the AdMob network in May, according to the ad agency's latest data, with 44 million unique iOS devices tracked, and 57 percent of those from outside of the U.S.

The results from the May 2010 Mobile Metrics Report show that the iOS platform experienced its strongest growth in unique devices in the past year in Asia, Oceania and Western Europe. As a result, less than half of all unique iOS devices -- 48 percent -- are from North America. Another 28 percent hailed from Western Europe, while 15 percent came from Asia.

Among countries, 43 percent of all iOS devices came from the U.S., followed in a distant second by the U.K. with 9 percent. France ranked third with 6 percent, followed by Canada (5 percent) and Japan (4 percent).

The May 2010 survey also found that 58 percent of iPad users were in the U.S. during the month. In second was Japan, with a 5 percent share, while China and the U.K. both carried 4 percent.

Worldwide, AdMob tracked 29.3 million unique iPhones, representing most of the iOS devices seen. When the iPad and iPod touch are included, the network found 43.8 million unique iOS devices. That compares with just 12.7 million Android handsets.

In the U.S., the ratio of iOS devices to Android devices was about 2-to-1, but globally, Apple has a much greater lead, enjoying a 3.5-to-1 ratio in its advantage.

Other details from the AdMob report:

iPhone users rely more on Wi-Fi than other smartphone users. 24 percent of all mobile traffic in the U.S. came over Wi-Fi.

The iPhone was by far the leading smartphone in May, with 39.9 percent of requests. In a distant second was the Motorola Droid, at 6.8 percent, followed by the HTC Magic at 2.9 percent.

iOS device mix varies by region: The iPhone has more than 60 percent share of all iOS devices in every region except North America and Latin America.

Google's Android has not yet grown overseas like iOS devices have, as 67 percent of Android users in May were from North America. China was the No. 2 country with 13 percent, followed by 4 percent in the U.K.

HTC and Motorola represent 83 percent of all Android devices, with the Motorola Droid the most popular option at 21 percent. The only devices from another manufacturer in the top ten was the Samsung Moment (5 percent).

Comments

• Reply 1 of 41
    sargessarges Posts: 94member
    interesting, perhaps is time that AI stops being so US centric site, starting from reporting about AT&T, nobody, outside America, is in the slightest interested
  • Reply 2 of 41
    damn_its_hotdamn_its_hot Posts: 1,209member
    This is supposed to be news?

A lot of the folx here are not from the US.
  • Reply 3 of 41
    damn_its_hotdamn_its_hot Posts: 1,209member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The iPhone was by far the leading smartphone in May...

A rather big jump in logic based on AdMob's stats although probably true. I do not get how they can say that iPhone is most popular because it got more hits -- is there anything to show that users of all phones are seeing the same amount of advertising? Maybe iPhone users like to look at ads more -- Nah!
  • Reply 4 of 41
    columbuscolumbus Posts: 282member
    I'm not the slightest bit interested in any statistics from AdMob considered their huge vested interests.

I'd much rather hear from someone who is independent.
  • Reply 5 of 41
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sarges View Post

interesting, perhaps is time that AI stops being so US centric site, starting from reporting about AT&T, nobody, outside America, is in the slightest interested

Considering that the US is largest market country for any one Apple product, Apple is a US-based company, and AI is run and operated in the US do you think that is feasible when so much of the news about Apple comes from the US? If you non-US news able Apple that would be relevant to the majority of their readers than go ahead and submit it, I'm sure they'd welcome the diversity.
  • Reply 6 of 41
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,755member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Damn_Its_Hot View Post

I do not get how they can say that iPhone is most popular because it got more hits -- is there anything to show that users of all phones are seeing the same amount of advertising? Maybe iPhone users like to look at ads more -- Nah!

Well, I guess it would depend on your definition of "success" or popularity. If you are focused purely on raw unit sales numbers and market share, then I could see how you might have an issue with their statement.

If you define success or popularity as people actually using your device, I think AdMob's numbers could construe that for whatever reason, iPhone users tend to use their phones more and thus they are shown more ads.

If you define success or popularity as happy customers, Apple clearly leads all other mobile phone manufacturers.

If you define success as making money, Apple is clearly trouncing all others, much to Apple shareholder delight That probably doesn't make them to popular with their competitors, though.

So they may not be "successful" in raw numbers of units shipped, but in all other categories they are a clear leader and very successful and popular.
  • Reply 7 of 41
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,755member
    Quote:

So go fund your own site that has a non US-centric view of a US company who's products are consumed the most in the US as reported on a US based web site.

Edit: D'oh - solipsism hit it already - but still worth repeating since this seems to come up routinely
  • Reply 8 of 41
    jmadlenajmadlena Posts: 43member
    With regards to the iOS Device Breakdown by Country graph ... I didn't know that Africa, Oceania, Latin America, Eastern Europe, Western Europe, Asia, and North America were all countries? How the hell did I ever pass geography?

*facepalm*
  • Reply 9 of 41
    striker_kkstriker_kk Posts: 246member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by columbus View Post

I'm not the slightest bit interested in any statistics from AdMob considered their huge vested interests.

"Independent"

That reminds me of some issue about Apple's vested interests in its Developer agreement. What happened to that?
  • Reply 10 of 41
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Considering that the US is largest market country for any one Apple product, Apple is a US-based company, and AI is run and operated in the US do you think that is feasible when so much of the news about Apple comes from the US? If you non-US news able Apple that would be relevant to the majority of their readers than go ahead and submit it, I'm sure they'd welcome the diversity.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by DocNo42 View Post

So go fund your own site that has a non US-centric view of a US company who's products are consumed the most in the US as reported on a US based web site.

Edit: D'oh - solipsism hit it already - but still worth repeating since this seems to come up routinely

Apple is a global company and iPhone is global phenomena as the article clearly stated. AT&T issues are specific to the iPhone, not to any other Apple products. Outside USA people couldn't care less why you guys get shafted by a single carrier model or spotty 3G coverage. Also, loads of websites are based in America but they cater for a worldwide audience. In short keep out any AT&T issues and AI will benefit from it.
  • Reply 11 of 41
    Quote:

Apple is a global company and iPhone is global phenomena as the article clearly stated. AT&T issues are specific to the iPhone, not to any other Apple products. Outside USA people couldn't care less why you guys get shafted by a single carrier model or spotty 3G coverage. Also, loads of websites are based in America but they cater for a worldwide audience. In short keep out any AT&T issues and AI will benefit from it.

Like this article and many others on AI, they detail worldwide information, but if they or others have an article about AT&T you don't wish to read there is a simple solution: don't read it.

For example, AnandTech posts a lot of articles about GPUs and game performance, but since those interest me I ignore them. It's really quite simple, and silly to expect AI to focus on other countries more than US when their readership, the company, their greatest sales and the news is mostly from the US.
  • Reply 12 of 41
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    Quote:

This is just insanity. Apple is a US company and roughly half of its revenue comes from the US. The other half is split between a hundred different nations.

But with that said, the reporting hasn't been US centric, but rather Apple customer centric. It seems that you've likely got an axe to grind about nationalism that goes far beyond just Apple and this website.

And this is coming from the least patriotic and most internationally oriented American you can possibly imagine. If you can't convince me, you'll never convince anyone.
  • Reply 13 of 41
    boogabooga Posts: 1,082member
    Quote:

To be more blatant, AdMob is now wholly owned by Google, who makes one of the operating systems being reported on by AdMob. Headlines where AdMob reports high Android numbers can be paraphrased as, "Google says Google is doing well". Similarly I don't put a lot of faith in their tracking of iOS devices since their relationship got strange with iPhone developers after their Google buyout.

Of course, Apple's iAd won't exactly be independent either. Hopefully another company will come up to replace AdMob in the credibility department.
  • Reply 14 of 41
    jetzjetz Posts: 1,293member
    Uggh. I hate the complaints about AdMob's alleged bias. When the figures are good for Apple, everybody touts them. When they show Android gaining ground, everybody's screams, "Biased!".

They are just stats. It's not a Google propaganda campaign.
  • Reply 15 of 41
    lilgto64lilgto64 Posts: 1,147member
    Quote:

So you would rather have your personal information sent to yet some other organization who will track your usage?

not sure if this was in the article or posted already but this tracking is limited of course to device on which software updates have been released that use their service. Meaning is a good way to measure use of their advertising product and the distribution of content consumed on various supported devices - which is no doubt of interest to developers to some extent but especially to the advertisers. It does not by its nature track what portion of ALL mobile devices are iPhones for example because not ALL mobile devices support their ad service.
  • Reply 16 of 41
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Like this article and many others on AI, they detail worldwide information, but if they or others have an article about AT&T you don't wish to read there is a simple solution: don't read it.

For example, AnandTech posts a lot of articles about GPUs and game performance, but since those interest me I ignore them. It's really quite simple, and silly to expect AI to focus on other countries more than US when their readership, the company, their greatest sales and the news is mostly from the US.

none said to focus on other countries more than US, rather to tone down the deluge of articles on a specific issue affecting one country only (AT&T), something which is of no interest whatsoever to people outside USA. I'm not convinced that AI's readership is mostly from USA, the regular posters may be, but there are a lot of readers from other countries. Why's that? because Apple is a global company that sells most of its iOS devices outside USA. Conversely if you don't wish to read posts about AI being US centric; don't read it, don't reply to it. It's not that hard, is it?
  • Reply 17 of 41
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jetz View Post

This is why I am waiting for next year's iPad. I foresee the Retina Display, the gyroscope and maybe a front-facing camera.

While that would rock, I don't that will be feasible for several years. That includes having a cost effective "retinal display" that size and making the best use of power for a 10" display with that many more pixels.

Something else to consider is the iPad's display is only 132ppi, which is still lower than the original iPhone at 163ppi. If we take the minimum density ppi for 20/20 site of 286ppi at a 12" distance and we double the pixels on each access (4x as many tolal pixels) we still only get 264ppi. If people are complaining that 326ppi can't be refereed to as Retinal Display, then I am not sure Apple would be so bold as to call 264ppi by this new marketing term.

Still, it would be great to have that on the iPad -and- have it maintain 10+ hours of video on one charge.
  • Reply 18 of 41
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    Quote:

You don't like the reporting, troll elsewhere.
  • Reply 19 of 41
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aplnub View Post

You don't like the reporting, troll elsewhere.

you don't like the post, read something else. Troll
  • Reply 20 of 41
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    Quote:

you don't like the post, read something else. Troll

I'm fine. Please, go cry about your third world home nit getting coverage somewhere else.