Microsoft kills KIN, ending Danger team's Pink Project

Comments

• Reply 81 of 118
    dluxdlux Posts: 666member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaveGee View Post

Anyone wanna venture a guess what each KIN phone actually cost MS?

Design Cost +

Engineering Cost +

Manufacturing Cost +

Marketting Costs

Divide by 500

Ouch no matter how you slice it... That's gotta hurt!

Yeah, but think of the 'limited edition' collector's value!
  • Reply 82 of 118
    applebookapplebook Posts: 350member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ascii View Post

Oh my Gosh, now they are killing their own kin...

Things have really gone bad since Bill left.

One step away from animals...eating their own kin. LOL
  • Reply 83 of 118
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

XBox 360 seems to be the one thing outside of the Windows/Office standby that has legs on it.

Hello? Have you ever heard of Microsoft keyboards?
  • Reply 84 of 118
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Pretty good compared to Vista maybe ... but Windows 7 is what should have been out a decade ago! Compared to using Snow Leopard (I have to use both) it is torture.

Oh, come on! Be fair. Win 7 is pretty good, solid, reliable, and fast. With some customization, it even looks good.
  • Reply 85 of 118
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by guinness View Post

I'm sure it at least had a working antenna.

Oh snap! The KIN could have worked nicely if the pricing plans were much, much lower. I think that it is a cute phone with some pretty powerful hardware for a non-smartphone.
  • Reply 86 of 118
    9secondko9secondko Posts: 929member
    This is why I don't buy ANYTHING from Microsoft any longer.

they seem to only want to entice you away from your money with the promise of "the future."

then they pull the rug out from under reality.

Windows 7 is OK. It is what Vista was supposed to be and is still behind Snow Leopard.

They can't (who's to say though...) kill Windows and Office, but they still only license those. They don't sell them. they had no problem killing the early Zune, then the Zune HD.

they enter the search market and the result is this resource hog called bing. and it is not that great of a search engine. But true to the MS way, they take inferior tech, add superflous bells and whistles and hail the "latest and greatest."

Remember "Plays for Sure?" Well, does it? Not now, they killed it a while ago.

The death of the just released KIN is nothing new. This is the Microsoft way. Have users pay THEM to do the R&D.

Apple does their R&D and then launches the thing. And bar a few annoyances, the thing basically just works. And if there is something that has crept through, they study it and fix it. there has not been any history since Steve Jobs came back to the CEO position where this did not happen.

And the iPhone 4 is so far ahead of everything else, it is unbelievable.

Microsoft is a joke. Their business philosophy is that there are plenty of suckers in the world and to take them for all they're worth. It worked wonders in the 90's. And it works to a degree now. Except folks are more educated now and with the internet, things get around a lot faster. that is why they are tanking today.

Build a great product, market it well, support it greatly, and they will come.

Microsoft seems to think that building garbage and telling you it's great is enough. Just look at their stock. The ship has sailed. I think it will be a good thing for them to hang around just to keep Apple honest. But their days of being the big dog are over. Unless they radically restructure their ideology, MS is now just a has-been.
  • Reply 87 of 118
    guinnessguinness Posts: 473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 9secondko View Post

This is why I don't buy ANYTHING from Microsoft any longer.

they seem to only want to entice you away from your money with the promise of "the future."

then they pull the rug out from under reality.

Windows 7 is OK. It is what Vista was supposed to be and is still behind Snow Leopard.

They can't (who's to say though...) kill Windows and Office, but they still only license those. They don't sell them. they had no problem killing the early Zune, then the Zune HD.

they enter the search market and the result is this resource hog called bing. and it is not that great of a search engine. But true to the MS way, they take inferior tech, add superflous bells and whistles and hail the "latest and greatest."

Remember "Plays for Sure?" Well, does it? Not now, they killed it a while ago.

The death of the just released KIN is nothing new. This is the Microsoft way. Have users pay THEM to do the R&D.

Apple does their R&D and then launches the thing. And bar a few annoyances, the thing basically just works. And if there is something that has crept through, they study it and fix it. there has not been any history since Steve Jobs came back to the CEO position where this did not happen.

And the iPhone 4 is so far ahead of everything else, it is unbelievable.

Microsoft is a joke. Their business philosophy is that there are plenty of suckers in the world and to take them for all they're worth. It worked wonders in the 90's. And it works to a degree now. Except folks are more educated now and with the internet, things get around a lot faster. that is why they are tanking today.

Build a great product, market it well, support it greatly, and they will come.

Microsoft seems to think that building garbage and telling you it's great is enough. Just look at their stock. The ship has sailed. I think it will be a good thing for them to hang around just to keep Apple honest. But their days of being the big dog are over. Unless they radically restructure their ideology, MS is now just a has-been.

susf.
  • Reply 88 of 118
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by applebook View Post

Oh, come on! Be fair. Win 7 is pretty good, solid, reliable, and fast. With some customization, it even looks good.

You have it all wrong. I am forced to use a Windows 7 PC at work and I find myself constantly waiting for the damn thing. Recycling items, starting apps, mapping network drives. And new UAC prompts are still there, and still annoying. Sometimes they "BOING" and dim the whole screen, sometimes they just flash an icon on the task bar - pathetically inconsistent.

The new task bar can only display two sizes of icons- small (with lots of useless space) and large. When you run out of icon room, you have to click arrows to see the other icons. You cannot put a folder on the task bar, like you can with the dock, and the recycle bin is still left on the desktop, where it can get buried. Come on M$ how hard would it be to create a recycle bin gadget, or let me put on that task bar?

The new shell is incredibly stupid about dragging and dropping files. I find myself inadvertently putting files in folders in list view. You have to scroll the window vertically or horizontally to find an empty space to drop the file - also pathetic.

I could go on and on, but I don't have that much time. Suffice it to say, that Windows 7 is exactly what its name suggests, just another version of Windows.
  • Reply 89 of 118
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,953member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by applebook View Post

I thought that at first, but now, it's just irritating. It boots faster, but My CAD/CAM software is far less reliable under W7 than XP. I've had to reinstall the software within three days of initial installation, something I hadn't seen it do before. Renaming at least half the controls in the control panel made finding my desired pane very irritating, it's easy to get a run-around. The notifications just get in my way and are annoying after seeing them for the hundredth time. The dimming of the entire screen on some of the notifications gets very old, and pretty clunky too as it blanks the screen for a second then shows you the dimmed screen, it reminds me more of a malfunctioning film projector with bad frame alignment than a well-honed modern operating system.
  • Reply 90 of 118
    tulkastulkas Posts: 3,757member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by applestockholder View Post

MS makes money despite Steve Balmer and he is a cofounder, both of which makes it difficult to unseat him as CEO.

Any decent company (actually the Board) would recognize the failures in SB's type leadership and act accordingly. Without changing course, MS will do very poorly.

At some point in the not so distant future, MSFT will probably be a good investment; as a short sale.

Huh? Since when was Ballmer a co-founder? Gates and Allen were the founders. I don't think Ballmer was even in the top 10 first hires.

He is a large shareholder and was basically appointed by Gates as his heir. Until Gates sees fit to show him the door, he is pretty secure in his position of being in charge of running MS into the ground. I cannot think of a leader that MS is more deserving of for their years of arrogance.

My understanding was that Roz Ho is mostly responsible for the SNAFU from which Kin was borne. The constant leaks from the division were mainly negative of her leadership. Unfortunately for the Kin project, she had Ballmer's ear and he did nothing to correct the disastrous mistakes being made (not that he could have managed it better, but he had other people providing feedback on Kin and Ho and ignored them).

The cash cows that are Windows and Office will ensure that MS will be around in one form or another for years. But they repeatedly show that they do not the DNA to innovate past these areas.
  • Reply 91 of 118
    You can turn UAC off.

Also, TEAMSWITCHER, there sounds like something seriously wrong (hardware and/or software) with your Win 7 installation. Reinstall it.
  • Reply 92 of 118
    firefly7475firefly7475 Posts: 1,502member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TEAMSWITCHER View Post

I find myself constantly waiting for the damn thing. Recycling items, starting apps, mapping network drives.

Crap hardware isn't a W7 problem. It would be nice if it were practical for Microsoft to enforce minimum requirements for W7 because that is one of the things that ensure such a consistent experience on a Mac. On an i7 Mac with bootcamp W7 is just as responsive (if not more so) than OSX.

Quote:

The new task bar can only display two sizes of icons- small (with lots of useless space) and large. When you run out of icon room, you have to click arrows to see the other icons.

That does suck. The reasoning behind this was something about a majority of users only having a certain amount of applications open. W7 isn't designed for heavy workloads on small screens.

Quote:

You cannot put a folder on the task bar

Sure you can, right click - toolbars - new toolbar.

Quote:

...like you can with the dock, and the recycle bin is still left on the desktop, where it can get buried. Come on M$ how hard would it be to create a recycle bin gadget, or let me put on that task bar?

That would be a silly idea. You're in W7, not OSX. Like OSX revolves around drag & drop Windows revolves around context menus. If you want to delete a file, right click and select delete.

Quote:

The new shell is incredibly stupid about dragging and dropping files. I find myself inadvertently putting files in folders in list view. You have to scroll the window vertically or horizontally to find an empty space to drop the file - also pathetic.

Agreed. I've seen a number of people "lose" files because they dropped them into a sub folder of where they were actually try to copy them to. The problem is that they changed the behavior between XP and W7 to enable "row select" in details view. I've got no idea if it can be switched back to the XP behavior.

Quote:

And new UAC prompts are still there, and still annoying. Sometimes they "BOING" and dim the whole screen, sometimes they just flash an icon on the task bar - pathetically inconsistent.

I love the implementation of the UAC in W7. It's the perfect balance between allowing user freedom and giving just enough warning that "what you are about to do could break stuff...". That said, it's optional. Press the Windows key, type UAC, press enter. Slide it to off and press OK. Just for kicks you'll get a UAC asking if you don't want to see UAC anymore!

Quote:

Suffice it to say, that Windows 7 is exactly what its name suggests, just another version of Windows.

Exactly. If you didn't like Windows in the first place W7 isn't going to do anything to change your mind. It's still Windows. If what you're after is for Windows to mimic OSX you're going to be disappointed. There's no way around that.
  • Reply 93 of 118
    I know why they killed kin. They just announced the new ipad killer lol:

http://img202.imageshack.us/img202/6702/ipadkiller.jpg

• Reply 94 of 118
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tulkas View Post

The cash cows that are Windows and Office will ensure that MS will be around in one form or another for years. But they repeatedly show that they do not the DNA to innovate past these areas.

Don't confuse the inability to sell a product with a lack of innovation or ability to create a good product.

Xbox, Tablet PC, Media Center, Windows smartphone, Microsoft Surface, and Xbox 360, Zune, Windows Live services, Azure, Visual Studio, Windows Home Server, SBS, Sharepoint, Exchange and now KIN and I'll even throw in Kinect etc etc are all good products and\\or innovative for their time.

What they seem to lack from the consumer perspective, is the ability to find where these products fit into the market. Apple got around this with their big winners (iPod, iTunes, iPhone, iPad) by creating a brand new market.

You should say they don't have the DNA to capitalize on their creativeness.
  • Reply 95 of 118
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by computadude View Post

image: ]http://img202.imageshack.us/img202/6702/ipadkiller.jpg

1) Welcome to the forum.

2) Woah! Huge photo, just a link please.

3) Changing the buttons for the either-or question to Yes/No would give it that proper MS feel.
  • Reply 96 of 118
    chopperchopper Posts: 246member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

I thought that at first, but now, it's just irritating. It boots faster, but My CAD/CAM software is far less reliable under W7 than XP. I've had to reinstall the software within three days of initial installation, something I hadn't seen it do before. Renaming at least half the controls in the control panel made finding my desired pane very irritating, it's easy to get a run-around. The notifications just get in my way and are annoying after seeing them for the hundredth time. The dimming of the entire screen on some of the notifications gets very old, and pretty clunky too as it blanks the screen for a second then shows you the dimmed screen, it reminds me more of a malfunctioning film projector with bad frame alignment than a well-honed modern operating system.

If your software sucks under Win7 then shouldn't you have a word with the developer to upgrade it for the OS? Do you complain to Apple when your 3rd party stuff doesn't work properly in the latest version of OS X?

You can have the Control Panel work in the "Classic" mode by the clicking the link in CP that tells you it's possible.

If notifications p!ss you off, turn them off. Why moan about something that you can control?

If you get blank screens, then your hardware is at fault, not the OS.

If that's the best you can do to dump on Win7, you're desperate, I use Windows for about 25% of what I have to do and I figured out that stuff in the first hour of using it, without the manual.

The problems you experience are either fictitious or you are not a very adaptable soul Jeff. Good luck when you get your next remote control.
  • Reply 97 of 118
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by computadude View Post

http://9gag.com/photo/27965_540.jpg
  • Reply 98 of 118
    carniphagecarniphage Posts: 1,984member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Firefly7475 View Post

Don't confuse the inability to sell a product with a lack of innovation or ability to create a good product.

Xbox, Tablet PC, Media Center, Windows smartphone, Microsoft Surface, and Xbox 360, Zune, Windows Live services, Azure, Visual Studio, Windows Home Server, SBS, Sharepoint, Exchange and now KIN and I'll even throw in Kinect etc etc are all good products and\\or innovative for their time.

What they seem to lack from the consumer perspective, is the ability to find where these products fit into the market. Apple got around this with their big winners (iPod, iTunes, iPhone, iPad) by creating a brand new market.

You should say they don't have the DNA to capitalize on their creativeness.

The funny thing is that Microsoft spends way more on advertising than Apple.

But Microsoft still finds it difficult to communicate to the consumer.

I think the problem is that culturally Microsoft is a company driven by engineering values. And engineers (bless them) are not really in tune with what consumers want. Sony are another company where engineers get too much rope.

Microsoft needs to have product development led by designers. And then have its engineers implement those designs.

C.
  • Reply 99 of 118
    owen101owen101 Posts: 2member
    So what has any of this got to do with Apple?
  • Reply 100 of 118
    carniphagecarniphage Posts: 1,984member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by owen101 View Post

So what has any of this got to do with Apple?

It's a compare-and-contrast type thing.

C.