Apple's interactive iAds begin to appear in iPhone apps

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Apple's iAds began to appear in some App Store software on Thursday, bringing the dynamic, interactive in-app experiences to users on the scheduled July 1 launch date.

While ads began to appear in some applications, not all of the iAd network has have gone live. For example, the Showtimes application from Avantar still has a placeholder banner that reads "iAd," but no advertisement is displayed and it cannot be selected. And some applications that others have found iAds in, such as "Mirror: for iPod and iPhone," sometimes have a blank space.

iAds provide richly interactive ad experiences inside developers' apps, providing them a 60 percent cut of the advertising revenue. The hope is the advertisements -- noted by the iAd logo in the corner -- will be more compelling to users, because they don't have to leave their app and launch a browser to view them.

Early sponsors include Dove and Nissan. It is believed that companies paid $10 million in order to be among the first to advertise with the iAd service. Apple reportedly aims to charge companies close to $1 million for ads on its mobile devices this year.

Nissan also released a video demonstrating the functionality of its advertisement for its Leaf electric car. In the demonstration, the advertisement is accessed through the AP Mobile application from the Associated Press.

"Unlike other ads, it lives inside the app and doesn't send you to the browser, which makes for a perfectly seamless experience," the video's narrator states.

Selecting the advertisement shows a short commercial for the Leaf, and an 'X' to close the ad is available in the top-left corner of the screen, while in the bottom right, a Menu option is available. When the video concludes, it transitions seamlessly to a main menu, where users can rotate a number of icons to choose an option.

The advertisement uses navigation methods that iOS users are accustomed to, such as tapping or swiping across the screen, and shaking the handset itself for interactive features included in the advertisement. Users can even begin the process to reserve a Leaf from within the iAd.

iAds are only available on devices running the iOS 4 mobile operating system. The iPad cannot be used to view iAds, as it runs iOS 3.2. iOS 4 is expected to be released for the iPad by this November.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 20
    banchobancho Posts: 1,517member
    I've been curious about one aspect of the iAds. Do they come fully bundled in the apps they are associated with, or do they download the ad data when a user clicks on it (each and every time)?

The reason I ask is some people are screaming about this possibly causing them to run through their data cap which is understandably not so great potentially.

It seems to me though that if it's fully bundled in the app, the downside would be larger app sizes and an initial bit of extra data to download to get the app in the first place. A small (relative) penalty, but not that bad (depending on the "richness" of the ad).

On the other hand, if it requests the data each time, the iAd could potentially be sluggish/stutter and it will also incur cellular data consumption unless you're on wifi. This might seem bad but there's nothing that says you have to click on, or view, the ads os it's easily averted.

I'm genuinely curious. Is there something I'm missing here or is it just more drama? It doesn't really bug me either way. If I see something of interest, I'll look at it, otherwise I'll just not click it and use whatever app as usual.

• Reply 2 of 20
    jupiteronejupiterone Posts: 1,564member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bancho View Post

I've been curious about one aspect of the iAds. Do they come fully bundled in the apps they are associated with, or do they download the ad data when a user clicks on it (each and every time)?

The reason I ask is some people are screaming about this possibly causing them to run through their data cap which is understandably not so great potentially.

It seems to me though that if it's fully bundled in the app, the downside would be larger app sizes and an initial bit of extra data to download to get the app in the first place. A small (relative) penalty, but not that bad (depending on the "richness" of the ad).

On the other hand, if it requests the data each time, the iAd could potentially be sluggish/stutter and it will also incur cellular data consumption unless you're on wifi. This might seem bad but there's nothing that says you have to click on, or view, the ads os it's easily averted.

I'm genuinely curious. Is there something I'm missing here or is it just more drama? It doesn't really bug me either way. If I see something of interest, I'll look at it, otherwise I'll just not click it and use whatever app as usual.

I'm not up on the latest iAd stuff, but my general understanding was that it would give "personal" or localized ads. Not a single generic ad. So I'd think it would HAVE to download the ads each and every time.
  • Reply 3 of 20
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JupiterOne View Post

I'm not up on the latest iAd stuff, but my general understanding was that it would give "personal" or localized ads. Not a single generic ad. So I'd think it would HAVE to download the ads each and every time.

I suppose I'll just have to so a bit more reading on it. Thanks.
  • Reply 4 of 20
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Apps are not the only thing on the iTunes Store... I wonder if eventually we will be able to rent movies with iAds instead of paying a rental fee?
  • Reply 5 of 20
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ascii View Post

Apps are not the only thing on the iTunes Store... I wonder if eventually we will be able to rent movies with iAds instead of paying a rental fee?

Perhaps even music could feature a lead-in ad enabling songs to be further reduced... oh, let's say to 49 cents.
  • Reply 6 of 20
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JupiterOne View Post

I'm not up on the latest iAd stuff, but my general understanding was that it would give "personal" or localized ads. Not a single generic ad.

It cando that but it doesn't have to do that. The Nissan ad above is a perfect example.
  • Reply 7 of 20
    psych_guypsych_guy Posts: 486member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Perhaps even music could feature a lead-in ad enabling songs to be further reduced... oh, let's say to 49 cents.

One thing that makes my blood boil is having to watch a 15 or 30 second spot when clicking to watch a video, say, on CNN or MSNBC. This would be the last thing I want on my music; having to listen to a spot before every tune or album? Forget it. I'll pay the extra 50 cents.
  • Reply 8 of 20
    jetzjetz Posts: 1,293member
    Glorification of advertising. Ugggh.
  • Reply 9 of 20
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jetz View Post

Glorification of advertising. Ugggh.

I'd rather have it in a way that is deliberately made friendlier (the way iAd handles it) to the user than have it shoved in my face each time. Sure it's ads, but at least the user's in control here.
  • Reply 10 of 20
    sheffsheff Posts: 1,407member
    Can't wait to play around with the iads. First time I'm excited about advertisements.
  • Reply 11 of 20
    paulmjohnsonpaulmjohnson Posts: 1,380member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chris_CA View Post

It cando that but it doesn't have to do that. The Nissan ad above is a perfect example.

I would assume that regardless of whether or not it is localised it would download, since presumably the Leaf advert for example wouldn't be relevant in a couple of years time, but the app would no doubt still be used.

I don't have any real insight, since I have no idea how it works, but I would guess they will be showing different adverts month to month in the same app.
  • Reply 12 of 20
    paulmjohnsonpaulmjohnson Posts: 1,380member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sheff View Post

Can't wait to play around with the iads. First time I'm excited about advertisements.

Now that must be music to advertisers eyes!

I have to admit, I'm interested to see how this all works and think it could be really interesting for the consumer and advertiser alike. I have no problem with seeing adverts that are relevant to me, but having to sit through 30 seconds of say, feminine hygiene products is just a waste of my time (and of the advertisers money).
  • Reply 13 of 20
    danielswdanielsw Posts: 906member
    One of the WWDC 2010 sessions covered iAds and discussed some of the design and strategy.

Apple wants to combine the interactivity of web ads with the emotion of TV ads. Big advertisers have the budgets to achieve such high production qualities, and they stand to benefit commensurately from the expected higher response levels this new class of ads promises.

I think this new genre of ads is going to be immensely popular for both advertisers AND customers.
  • Reply 14 of 20
    hardynhhardynh Posts: 20member
    So far the ads I've seen are really slow to load. Depending on the application you could be in and out of the app before the ads even load. Over edge connection you sit there waiting for the ad for a long time to load up all of the video, large images, and other stuff..... I think basic ads that load quickly would be a lot more useful for advertisers since the ad will load before the user leaves the app.
  • Reply 15 of 20
    quillzquillz Posts: 209member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bancho View Post

I'd rather have it in a way that is deliberately made friendlier (the way iAd handles it) to the user than have it shoved in my face each time. Sure it's ads, but at least the user's in control here.

I'd be in control if I could opt out of iAds entirely, which I can't.
  • Reply 16 of 20
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quillz View Post

Sure, and I'd like a pony.

My point was that ads are inevitable and Apple's gone out of their way to ensure that rather than "flash hell" the user will be treated to an unobtrusive indicator of an ad that they may click if they wish to learn more. It's not compulsory like a 30 second ad you need to suffer through before seeing a video, and can be ignored. It's not like those crappy keywords sprinkled through articles on the internet that spawn little popups when you accidentally mouse over one and obstruct content.

Intelligent, well crafted, ads are a lot more likely to generate a positive response from a user than ones jammed in their face and littered through real content like a minefield.
  • Reply 17 of 20
    akhomerunakhomerun Posts: 386member
    why the hell does such a pretentious attitude have to ruin apple products?

"imagine, browsing your favorite app, and then being a fucking idiot and clicking an ad for the nissan leaf. now, you'll see an ad that doesn't open the web browser, which makes being a fucking idiot a whole lot easier. it's not just an ad, it's an iad!"
  • Reply 18 of 20
    akhomerunakhomerun Posts: 386member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quillz View Post

you can, it's called paying for apps.
  • Reply 19 of 20
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    They are sending encrypted messages to your subconscious using secret brainwave technology. When you hold the iPhone with your left hand, the transmissions are sent directly through your nervous system to the brain, causing an uncontrollable desire to purchase the product being advertised.

The miracle of advertising is now a available for download, only from Apple.
  • Reply 20 of 20
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by akhomerun View Post

why the hell does such a pretentious attitude have to ruin apple products?

"imagine, browsing your favorite app, and then being a fucking idiot and clicking an ad for the nissan leaf. now, you'll see an ad that doesn't open the web browser, which makes being a fucking idiot a whole lot easier. it's not just an ad, it's an iad!"

People are "fucking idiots" for looking at ads? I'm confused.