Special Report: The end of Apple's iPod era

Comments

• Reply 41 of 115
    zorinlynxzorinlynx Posts: 170member
    I hope the iPod Nano doesn't get discontinued as a result of this. I don't really want an iPhone, and I'd rather have a dedicated music player. I like being able to listen to all the music I want on a trip without worrying about draining my phone's battery down and being unable to make calls.

iPod Touch is superfluous. iPad I might get, but for completely different reasons. For just listening to music, the iPod Nano (or classic) is where it's at. You can't beat the interface and form factor.
  • Reply 42 of 115
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by antkm1 View Post

I think that's the funniest post i've seen on AI since i joined! Thanks!

Why thank you.

And to think i once referred to you as a troll. I eat my words and apologies unreservedly. I am unworthy.
  • Reply 43 of 115
    duaneu2duaneu2 Posts: 19member
    Quote:

This might be a little off topic but interesting for people discussing the iPod UI in the car. I've been test driving new cars recently, and all have some way to port the iPod to the car's internal stereo with some kind of USB/Aux Jack then the Car's stereo UI takes over.

Honda's USB link

Mini's Proprietary USB link and alternate Aux jack

VW's Aux Jack

Toyota has some kind of Aux jack as well.

Out of all these cars, the VW got it right. The Aux Jack is the best way to control your ipod in the car. By using the ipod itself. None of these other cars got it right. The proprietary UI in most cars is so abysmal that it's just better to control from the ipod. At least Mini offers both the USB option (for $250 more, for a freekin cord) or just the Aux jack.

I have a Ford Edge with navigation and the Microsoft Sync system and I keep an iPod Nano plugged into the USB port. I can control the iPod with the nav system's touch screen or with voice commands.
  • Reply 44 of 115
    andyzakyandyzaky Posts: 72member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dempson View Post

The article's definition of "iPod" is the same one Apple uses in its quarterly financial reports. That includes the iPod Shuffle, Nano, Classic and Touch. It does not include the iPhone or iPad, which Apple reports as separate items.

Overall iPod unit sales are declining, but the average price per iPod is increasing: people are buying fewer cheap iPods, but in money terms, the increased sales of iPod Touch is mostly making up for it.

As a proportion of Apple's total revenue, iPod sales (including Touch) are becoming less significant, mainly because the iPhone is going through the roof, with the iPad hot on its heels.

iPod ASPs actually haven't gone anywhere. They've been basically flat to down for the past 4 years. See here:

Also, here's a chart of iPod revenue. Or I should say, iPod Touch, iPod Shuffle, iPod Classic and iPod Nano everything that Apple has chosen to call an iPod revenue. Notice the flat growth for 4 years now:

And finally, here are iPod unit sales. Notice, once again, flat growth:

So what do these 3 charts say about the iPod in general, and would Apple be where it is today if the iPod is all that existed? Finally take a look at Apple's revenue growth and compare that to the iPod's growth. What should one conclude?
  • Reply 45 of 115
    lamewinglamewing Posts: 742member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 8CoreWhore View Post

A friend asked me if he should get a iPod nano. I told him spend a tiny bit more and get an iPhone 4.

You really don't like him much do you?
  • Reply 46 of 115
    antkm1antkm1 Posts: 1,441member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr Underhill View Post

Why thank you.

And to think i once referred to you as a troll. I eat my words and apologies unreservedly. I am unworthy.

i don't remember that. I do tend to go off topic on stuff, sorry...but sometimes people start with ignorant shit and i just have to chime in. and sometimes these Posts bring up some other great ideas.

kumbaya!
  • Reply 47 of 115
    leo316leo316 Posts: 4member
    Quote:

Toyota has some kind of Aux jack as well..

I drive a 2009 Toyota Corolla MATRIX and it has a cigarette-lighter-power source, a standard A/C electric plug (!), and a place to plug in a micro-mini stereo walkman or iPod or iPhone.

Somebody at Toyota realized how much curb-appeal you get from a little human-interface design.

PS: I still like Toyota. Their floor mat bunching under the accelerator problem is solved by lobbing the mat into the back seat.
  • Reply 48 of 115
    dacloodacloo Posts: 890member
    the iPod is very important for their AppStore sales.
  • Reply 49 of 115
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by duaneu2 View Post

I have a Ford Edge with navigation and the Microsoft Sync system and I keep an iPod Nano plugged into the USB port. I can control the iPod with the nav system's touch screen or with voice commands.

we're getting way off topic now, i fear the troll enforcers will be out in droves now. Except most people confuse trollers with haters.

Can't say i've drive or owned an american car in 10-15 years, but i am curious about the Fords, god, the only American car company that can remain viable and without bailout money. Too bad they limited themselves to a Microsoft interface. Glad to hear it works with the ipod. Now if they could come up with a car that can compete with the Mini Cooper, VW Golf, Fiat 500 (In other words, small, stylish, luxury under $20k with better than 35mpg, save for VW...for shame!) then they would really have my attention
  • Reply 50 of 115
    ulfoafulfoaf Posts: 175member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by duaneu2 View Post

I just got an iPhone 4, but it's still more convenient for me to keep an iPod Nano permanently plugged into the car's USB port than to try and listen to music from the phone over Bluetooth.

I don't have a modern car or a modern stereo, but I agree that an iPod, with an iTrip in my case, is my preferred music method for the car. I've a few complaints about streaming bluetooth to a car stereo, though I use it with my earpiece a lot.
  • Reply 51 of 115
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dacloo View Post

the iPod is very important for their AppStore sales.

except that the app store doesn't support the shuffle, nano and classic any more. I have about 4 apps on my Classic (all games)...however i don't believe i've seen an update for any of them since 2008
  • Reply 52 of 115
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BlueDjinn View Post

I generally agree with your point, but I have to ask: Do your figures and charts above include the iPod TOUCH as well as the iPod Classic, Nano and Shuffle?

That was my question as well. Define 'ipod'

Quote:

Now, if you're talking about the NON-iOS based iPods, I agree 100%, but I'd be very surprised if iPod Touch sales/revenue are becoming "irrelevant", as this article would seem to imply. Just wondering...

Agreed. The idevice line up as a whole no. But if you just take the non iOS stuff, yes. They are on the way out as a 'gateway' which makes sense cause now there's the iOS line. Why would anyone spend $149 for a music player that also does video on a tiny screen when for $199 they can get a music player, bigger screen, check their email etc. More bang for the buck means they are willing to spend more bucks
  • Reply 53 of 115
    womble2k2womble2k2 Posts: 118member
    None of this is a real surprise, but a few points;

1. At the time Apple launched iPod, it was very much still in recovery mode. Revenues will still down on where they should have been, but the iPod sparked a lot of new interest in Apple. Not just the Halo effect of iPod buyers, but with the marketing and hype, the Apple brand was back in the public eye and people bought a wide variety of Apple products, even if they didn't own an iPod. For example, I bought my iBook G4 before I bought my first iPod.

2. The iPhone is also an iPod. Remember the Keynote, it is a revolutionary touchscreen iPod, Mobile Phone and internet device .... all in one.Not many people would buy an iPhone and another iPod (although I am seriously considering it as I've given my girlfriend my iPod Touch - not need for two iOS devices, but there are times I want an iPod without wanting to carry my £600 phone).

3. If you look at what happened to the Walkman brand, it expanded into other devices, including phones. The iPod is doing exactly the same, as is part of iPhones and iPads. I would not be surprised to see the iPod brand associated with some In Car Entertainment devices, either made by Apple or 3rd parties, the "powered by Apple iPod technology" approach. [Side note: Hope they don't implement "shake to shuffle" on an ICE device - Can you imagine people swerving to change tracks!!!]

4. Market saturation. Just about everyone that wants/needs an iPod / MP3 player now has one, so the market is just one of replacement when upgrades are required. The tablet market is quite new, and the iPad is a new Apple device so there are many people who don't own a device of this nature, that do want one. In a couple of years, this market will also become saturated, and iPad sales will decline.

5. For many people, the iPhone lagged competing products on features but the iPhone 4 is just about complete of these (5 Mpxl camera, flash [camera that is ;-))], front facing camera, ...) so more and more people will be switching to iPhones, which in turn will lead to further decline of standalone iPods (back to point 2).

6. I'm sure in Apple's labs are lots of new, innovative and competition beating products that will keep their revenues going in the right direction. Whether they'll have any MS Kin moments is yet to be seen, but I believe the iPod halo is now the iPhone/iPad halo and these are the products that keep Apple's brand in the spotlight.

7. At the time the iPod launched, it was very rare to see Apple advertisements (TV, posters, etc) in the UK, and even more rare across Europe. Now, it is difficult to go anywhere without seeing Apple Adverts, they are everywhere, thanks to the increased brand awareness and growth that the iPod and now iPhone/iPad are providing.

8. I'd expect the iPod family to continue, but consolidate down to fewer products. Maybe a single shuffle (but in a small range of colours), one nano (again, in it's usual wide range of colours) and one iPod Touch, likely to be the next memory size up from the highest iPhone.

9. Even at the declined sales levels, it is still a product worth Apple producing, even if it was just 4% of revenue, most companies would see that as a viable business.

Phil
  • Reply 54 of 115
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 8CoreWhore View Post

A friend asked me if he should get a iPod nano. I told him spend a tiny bit more and get an iPhone 4.

I might have to disagree with you. Remember that the iphone 4 isn't just '50 dollars more and you get a phone'. It's got a contract with an ETF, etc. And it can be very pricey if it's lose or breaks. As much as $599 pricey.

So if your friend is looking for something to take to the gym or while jogging, the iphone perhaps not the best idea. Something sleek like the nano or even a shuffle is way better.

Which is why I bought a shuffle the same day I got my iphone 4. Easier to carry, cheaper to replace if it drops, less to fret over and no real risk if I set it down cause all anyone will get is the greatest hits of Abba

If your friend is looking for something for more general use and has a contract ready to upgrade etc then yeah why not consider the iphone.
  • Reply 55 of 115
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

Agreed. The idevice line up as a whole no. But if you just take the non iOS stuff, yes. They are on the way out as a 'gateway' which makes sense cause now there's the iOS line. Why would anyone spend $149 for a music player that also does video on a tiny screen when for $199 they can get a music player, bigger screen, check their email etc. More bang for the buck means they are willing to spend more bucks

There are always people who will want more storage than features, so the Classic hits the perfect price point for those that simply want lots of music in a very portable device. If Apple launched a 320Gig Classic for the same price as the current line up, I'd be buying one simply to use in my car. [I've got a Hard drive system in my car which stores approx 30 gigs but the idea of having my entire iTunes library in car would be amazing!
  • Reply 56 of 115
    ulfoafulfoaf Posts: 175member
    Well, after having an iPhone or likely a 3G iPad, an iPod just seems like a crippled version. We are all spoiled by the "always on" aspect. A phone and mobile computer will become even more the same as time goes on.

And AT&T's network has been pretty much always on for me as far as internet - I just can't make calls!!
  • Reply 57 of 115
    rdjlexkyrdjlexky Posts: 48member
    Apple has already won the iPod market as far as stand-alone music players go, so in that sense, I think the author has a point. Of everyone I know, I only know of one person who has an MP3 player that wasn't made by Apple. iPods are just so ubiquitous these days that it's easy to take them for granted. In essence, they've reached Xerox or Kleen-ex status in that everyone just says "my iPod" when referring to what they play music on.

With the web as a whole moving towards mobile computing, so does the iPod. No doubt, Apple planned this all along. Things like the iPod touch are just secondary devices to the iPhone.
  • Reply 58 of 115
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ulfoaf View Post

Well, after having an iPhone or likely a 3G iPad, an iPod just seems like a crippled version. We are all spoiled by the "always on" aspect. A phone and mobile computer will become even more the same as time goes on.

And AT&T's network has been pretty much always on for me as far as internet - I just can't make calls!!

different strokes...

I use my ipod classic as my music device, i use my iphone 3g as my Everything-Else Device when out of the house. see my previous statements for more detail.
  • Reply 59 of 115
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

I might have to disagree with you. Remember that the iphone 4 isn't just '50 dollars more and you get a phone'. It's got a contract with an ETF, etc. And it can be very pricey if it's lose or breaks. As much as $599 pricey.

So if your friend is looking for something to take to the gym or while jogging, the iphone perhaps not the best idea. Something sleek like the nano or even a shuffle is way better.

Which is why I bought a shuffle the same day I got my iphone 4. Easier to carry, cheaper to replace if it drops, less to fret over and no real risk if I set it down cause all anyone will get is the greatest hits of Abba

If your friend is looking for something for more general use and has a contract ready to upgrade etc then yeah why not consider the iphone.

Totally agree.

Another time I'd want a separate device is for holidays. Taking the iPhone onto a sandy beach or by the pool can be very daunting. A shuffle / nano would be ok, and easily within the cover of most travel insurance policies. I also do a lot of city breaks, often to eastern european destinations where the iPhone is almost 3 months average income, making it a prime target for thieves, so I'd prefer to take my very old samsung phone and a low end iPod.

Phil
  • Reply 60 of 115
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:

heck, do any of you remember how long you had your walkman, your portable CD player?

I saw a guy just this week using one of those. The funny part about it was that he was listening through iPhone ear buds.