Apple struggles to meet iPhone 4 demand as iPad availability improves

Comments

• Reply 41 of 64
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Ah well, it was an honest statement by me. If they didn't have to deal with the antenna debacle the queues would by definition be bigger, because I for one would be in them.

But your logic would predict that there shouldn't be any queues now. There should be plenty of iPhone 4s available since the "antenna issue" has become Apple's Waterloo. Nobody is buying them now, right? I mean it's all over the internet. It was on the Today Show this morning. In fact , one of your pals over at the Apple Discussion forums states as fact that he has "confirmed" with at&t that iPhones are being returned in droves, by the millions he claims. So there should be plenty of refurbished iPhones available too. Right? So what might explain the queues and shortages? Oh, it's all faked by Apple and their tech media lap dogs, right? It's a conspiracy.

You see, just like the Birthers and Truthers, you and your pals have to keep modifying your conspiracy theory to explain reality. You have to keep adding coconspirators, like every remotely positive review or analysis. They have to be in on it don't they? No one would buy the iPhone 4 once they know about the "ISSUE" would they? You didn't did you. And everybody has to know about it by now, right?
  • Reply 42 of 64
    saareksaarek Posts: 1,561member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jm6032 View Post

As a point of interest: I was in a Best Buy (US Hwy 75 in Plano, TX) on Sunday and the store had a white board just inside the door proclaiming the in-stock availability of iPad WiFi and iPad WiFi + 3G (Sorry, I don't remember the memory capacities). Already have mine, but if you're in Plano, check it out.

Sadly I'm in the UK, perhaps availability is only improving in the US. After all you guys got the iPad a couple of months before us so demand might not be as high.
  • Reply 43 of 64
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

But your logic would predict that there shouldn't be any queues now. There should be plenty of iPhone 4s available since the "antenna issue" has become Apple's Waterloo. Nobody is buying them now, right? I mean it's all over the internet. It was on the Today Show this morning. In fact , one of your pals over at the Apple Discussion forums states as fact that he has "confirmed" with at&t that iPhones are being returned in droves, by the millions he claims. So there should be plenty of refurbished iPhones available too. Right? So what might explain the queues and shortages? Oh, it's all faked by Apple and their tech media lap dogs, right? It's a conspiracy.

You see, just like the Birthers and Truthers, you and your pals have to keep modifying your conspiracy theory to explain reality. You have to keep adding coconspirators, like every remotely positive review or analysis. They have to be in on it don't they? No one would buy the iPhone 4 once they know about the "ISSUE" would they? You didn't did you. And everybody has to know about it by now, right?

Ireland's just saying if the antenna issue did not exist, there would be more people buying, assuming Apple could keep up with the demand. He does not mean that if the antenna issue is widely known no one would buy.
  • Reply 44 of 64
    I pre-ordered by iPhone 4 32GB (black) on the 21st June. It was estimated to be shipping by the 14th July. Today (6th), Apple have shipped the phone to me in the UK.

Maybe they were being over-cautious or are getting on top of the pre-orders.
  • Reply 45 of 64
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    I thought it might take until 2011 before the iPad becomes Apple?s second most profitably leg. If my calculations and estimates are correct, that may have happened with the quarter ending in June. That?s pretty damn impressive for a tablet market that has gone no where for the past decade.

Will Apple not see any real competition until Android 3.0?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

Ireland's just saying if the antenna issue did not exist, there would be more people buying, assuming Apple could keep up with the demand.

But what kind of logic is that? It?s obvious.

If the iPhone was cheaper? if it came in more colours? if it came with cake? if? if? if?

None of that changes the fact that demand is still outstripping supply despite these devastating issues and most, if not all, pundits who have experienced the issue are saying it?s the best iPhone from Apple can has better reception than the 3GS.

Ireland says he?s going to wait for the iPhone 5. I doubt that?s true. He?ll make up some reasoning why he just has to have it. His actions here have shown that he has no impulse control. I wish he?d tone it down because he?s single handily made this forum pretty awful for everyone these past two weeks.
  • Reply 46 of 64
    matrix07matrix07 Posts: 1,993member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

Ireland's just saying if the antenna issue did not exist, there would be more people buying, assuming Apple could keep up with the demand. He does not mean that if the antenna issue is widely known no one would buy.

I think it wouldn't bother anybody much if he actually HAS an iP4 with the issue.
  • Reply 47 of 64
    tardistardis Posts: 94member
    A colleague at work ordered an iPhone 4 on Day One and is still waiting.

Menwhile, a friend decided he wanted an iPhone 4 and walked into his local Softbank store. He was told he could place an order , but they couldn't say when it would be delivered. Why not? There's 500 people ahead of you. In Japan or just Tokyo? Just in this store.

It was a small town store, I don't know how many stores Softbank has now, but when J-Phone switched to Vodafone they had 2,000. So there's possibly a million or more iPhone G4's on post "pre-order" waiting lists.

Do any of them care about antenna problems? No, unless you live in the mountains there aren't problems with reception, so it's either 5 bars or zero.
  • Reply 48 of 64
    constable odoconstable odo Posts: 1,041member
    Quote:

I'm fairly certain that iHaters will say that everything surrounding the iPhone is being carefully orchestrated by Steve Jobs and Apple. The lines, the inventory, the display shortages, and even the antenna problem for more publicity. There are supposedly millions of iPhone 4s sitting at storage docks around the world in dozens of cargo containers. Every few days, some secretive Apple employees grab a few cartons and distribute them to stores where the lines are the longest. But only enough to diminish the line slightly. The returned faulty antenna iPhones are kept in the bowels of Apple retail stores so the media doesn't find out there are hundreds of thousands of returned iPhones which will be destroyed at some future point in time.

Apple no longer is in the business of selling products. It now relies on the perception of sales to boost its share price. A few well-placed articles here and there and some hired actors and actresses to stand on line will go a long way to keep Apple the richest tech company in the world.

And let's not talk about the iPad. Not one person has actually seen somebody else carrying one, so chances are Apple has only sold a few dozen of those over-hyped tablets.
  • Reply 49 of 64
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Constable Odo View Post

I'm fairly certain that iHaters will say that everything surrounding the iPhone is being carefully orchestrated by Steve Jobs and Apple.

I find that phenomenon unusual. It seems the same people who call others "fanboys", "iSheep" and such are the ones that have put Apple on a pedestal, with delusions that that they can do no wrong and have otherworldly powers to orchestrate things only found in fictional stories, just to have this weakly conceived notion shattered by the reality that they are just a company with no magical powers.
  • Reply 50 of 64
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by austingaijin View Post

According to Anandtech:

So, an entire day and more than a quarter tank of gas later, here are the results. Holding the iPhone 4 without a case, in your left hand, crossing the black strip can result in a worst case drop of 24 dB in signal.

Now, there are two vastly different possibilities for what happens to the bar visualization after you drop 24 dB. I happen to live less than one block from an AT&T UMTS tower (it's across the street, literally), and have exceptionally strong signal in all of my house - it's part of why I chose to live here, actually. Signal is above -65 dBm in every single room, in most cases it's at -51 dBm. When I incur that worst case drop of 24 dB from squeezing the phone, I fall down to -83 dBm, which is still visualized as 5 bars.

However, in locales that have less signal, but where iOS still displays 5 bars, the drop of 24 dB is visualized much differently. For example, at another test location, signal without holding the phone is -89 dBm, which is still displayed as 5 bars. Cup the phone, and you'll fall all the way to -113 dBm. All the bars dramatically disappear one after the other, people think they've dramatically lost all the signal, and you know the rest.

If you're at 4 bars already, (which puts you on the low end of possible signal strengths), cupping the phone even more delicately is enough to push you the remaining 10 or so dB to cutoff. It doesn't take much when you're at 4 bars, which is why the visualization is flawed. Complicating matters is that signal is completely fine until down around 2 bars at -107 dBm.

--------------------------------------------------------------

Basically, by now several million ppl are using the iPhone 4 without issue. I think your refusal and/or disinterest in buying one has more to do with the fact that that you've dug in your heels than the "antenna" and would lose too many ego points if you bought one. When you grow up, your ego gets in the way less and it's easier to admit you were wrong.

The rest of the Anandtech reports goes on to say that basically, iPhone 4 reception is improved over the 3GS.

There's no need to keep personally attacking people in regard to this subject.

But since you brought it up:

Rest assured, there are many people who can't use the iPhone 4 in places that they've always successfully used previous iPhones. I was one of those people up until the day that my pre-ordered bumper arrived. Now I can once again use the telephone in my bedroom. I can once again use 3G data when in bathroom stalls.

Anandtech ran some nice scientific tests. However the conclusions were somewhat jumbled and a few sentences even contradict their own test results. When reviewed closely, what the anandtech numbers show is that there are situations in which the new phone performs worse. When not obstructed/shorted, the antenna performs better than most phones on the market. Unfortunately, this is more than canceled out by a couple orders of magnitude drop in signal level when held in a fairly typical fashion by some people in some places.

But back to the topic at hand...

It is amazing how quickly the iPad hype died down once iPhone 4 hype was in full swing. I love my iPad and think it will continue to sell well. What's interesting is how posts in the iPad forum dried up almost completely. Thankfully, that meant that iPad trolls disappeared. Apparently, they're now trolling the iPhone forum instead.
  • Reply 51 of 64
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I thought it might take until 2011 before the iPad becomes Apple?s second most profitably leg. If my calculations and estimates are correct, that may have happened with the quarter ending in June. That?s pretty damn impressive for a tablet market that has gone no where for the past decade.

Will Apple not see any real competition until Android 3.0?

But what kind of logic is that? It?s obvious.

If the iPhone was cheaper? if it came in more colours? if it came with cake? if? if? if?

None of that changes the fact that demand is still outstripping supply despite these devastating issues and most, if not all, pundits who have experienced the issue are saying it?s the best iPhone from Apple can has better reception than the 3GS.

Ireland says he?s going to wait for the iPhone 5. I doubt that?s true. He?ll make up some reasoning why he just has to have it. His actions here have shown that he has no impulse control. I wish he?d tone it down because he?s single handily made this forum pretty awful for everyone these past two weeks.

What's with these personal attacks?

Aren't you above that Solipsism? Don't drag your reputation through the mud.
  • Reply 52 of 64
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dfiler View Post

What's with these personal attacks?

Aren't you above that Solipsism? Don't drag your reputation through the mud.

I'm not above calling people out. Where did I personally attack Ireland in that post? I can find many posts from him personally attacking me and others for not having any issues or expecting a little objectivity and maturity on the issue.
  • Reply 53 of 64
    Quote:

Imagine the queues if the antenna was reliable!? Wow.

Yes and we have you to thank for that. Although the queues at O2 today would suggest it's falling on deaf ears. It's just as well they don't hang around forums all day reading drivel.
  • Reply 54 of 64
    Quote:

I want there to be an issue so I can be proven right? What a load of crap. I don't want this issue just as much as the next guy, I wanted to buy the phone. But Apple have proven themselves incapable of owning up to it, fixing it and facing it head on. I'll be holding out for iPhone 5, where, as I have said: "the antenna on iPhone 4 was perfect, but for some reason the antenna in iPhone 5 is different". It's not about being right. It's about Apple fucking up and refusing to accept any blame.

When many Mac people are reporting the issue to be a problem then you can rest assured it is a problem. Arnold Kim; proprietor of Macrumors has the issue, it affects him in some places, not in all places. Leo Laporte has the issue. Erica Sadun; respected writer of TUAW has the issue. Insanely Great Mac has the issue even when using a Microcell. It seems to be location specific and affects those who don't like to use a case the most. If that's good enough for you then fine, but it ain't good enough for me. And no, they don't simply have dropped bars, they have dropped calls in places where the old iPhones didn't have them - when they hold the phone a certain way without a case, which as luck has it happens to be the natural way to hold the phone.

Dug in my heels and can't get out? Pure crap.

But the point is you keep bringing it up over and over and over again. You made your point, your not buying an iP4, so fine. Move on.

It's the way your attacking the issue that makes people in this forum think there's more to this than your making out. If not then fine, we believe you. But give us a break. Please.
  • Reply 55 of 64
    irelandireland Posts: 17,799member
    Quote:

But your logic would predict that there shouldn't be any queues now.

No. Logic says queues would be even bigger. Say it with me now?
  • Reply 56 of 64
    irelandireland Posts: 17,799member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr Underhill View Post

But the point is you keep bringing it up over and over and over again. You made your point, your not buying an iP4, so fine. Move on.

It's the way your attacking the issue that makes people in this forum think there's more to this than your making out. If not then fine, we believe you. But give us a break. Please.

More to the iPhone than phone calls? You are correct.
  • Reply 57 of 64
    lostkiwilostkiwi Posts: 640member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Onhka View Post

Reminds me of the guy that was going to walk from Dublin to Cork because he was frustrated with Apple couldn't get his iMac to work. The last thing I heard, he is still complaining.

I thought everyone knew that the only good thing to come out of Dublin was the road to Cork?

Full Disclosure: I'm a Murphy's Man
  • Reply 58 of 64
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I find that phenomenon unusual. It seems the same people who call others "fanboys", "iSheep" and such are the ones that have put Apple on a pedestal, with delusions that that they can do no wrong and have otherworldly powers to orchestrate things only found in fictional stories, just to have this weakly conceived notion shattered by the reality that they are just a company with no magical powers.

...no magical powers? What do you mean? Next you'll claim there's no Beyonce! No Ray Charles!

Be careful of what you say here-- many of the readers have very sensitive young minds!

Mine, just happens to reside in an old body!

• Reply 59 of 64
    Quote:

When many Mac people are reporting the issue to be a problem then you can rest assured it is a problem. Arnold Kim; proprietor of Macrumors has the issue, it affects him in some places, not in all places. Leo Laporte has the issue. Erica Sadun; respected writer of TUAW has the issue. Insanely Great Mac has the issue even when using a Microcell.

So, safe to assume Arnold Kim, Leo Laporte, and Erica Sadun are all taking advantage of Apple's offer to return the phone with no restocking fee? No. Any of them? No. In fact, I have yet to hear of a single user saying "No thanks, you can have your iPhone 4 back, Apple." If you can fine one, I'd be impressed. The fact that you don't hear of it speaks volumes.
  • Reply 60 of 64
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    I don't think there is a production issue regarding the iPhone 4. I checked with Appl ester this weekend and they told me People are getting their iPhones within a week from placing a reservation. It seems iPhone 4 shipments are reaching Apple store on regular basis. That and the fact that Apple sticking with their international iPhone release dates indicate that Apple is well prepared for this launch.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by matrix07 View Post

I think it wouldn't bother anybody much if he actually HAS an iP4 with the issue.

He didn't complain that much when he had an actual problem with his iPhone WiFi.