Mozilla release first beta of Firefox 4.0 for MacMozilla release first beta of Firefox 4.0 for Mac w

Comments

• Reply 21 of 61
    stoobsstoobs Posts: 40member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BenRoethig View Post

I'm having major GUI problems with b1.

Ditto - tabs are squished over one side and I have what looks like a doubled duplicate nav-bar on the other..
  • Reply 22 of 61
    povilaspovilas Posts: 473member
    Still feels bloated. Can't explain it, but that's my impression and UI is not exactly up to OS X standards.
  • Reply 23 of 61
    povilaspovilas Posts: 473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by oomu View Post

more gecko, less webkit, please.

• Reply 24 of 61
    emerge3demerge3d Posts: 16member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Zzzz . . . they still make Firefox?

YAWN...Boring
  • Reply 25 of 61
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Seems like a waste of human effort to me... I see the browser wars as a race to duplicate what OS frameworks have had for years.

Imagine if all those smart Webkit/Mozilla people developers had instead worked on real end user apps all these years, instead of rebuilding the OS inside an app. Such a waste...
  • Reply 26 of 61
    prismprism Posts: 75member
    I know this is a bit off-topic, but if FireFox would be able to work with MobileMe sync then I'd love to use FireFox again on my Macs.

Safari's bookmark system sucks! Can't add folders, unless you save a bunch of tabs at once, so it makes one huge list. That is the one thing that really turns me down on Safari.
  • Reply 27 of 61
    29922992 Posts: 202member
    well, as long as Chrome is the only one translating the whole webpage from one language to another one, I'll stick with it for now, even if I like FF better...
  • Reply 28 of 61
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prism View Post

Safari's bookmark system sucks! Can't add folders, ....

Come again?
  • Reply 29 of 61
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. Me View Post

Come again?

You want me to repeat myself?

It is not possible, as far as I know, to add a folder structure to my bookmarks in the way I can in IE of FF (don't know about Chrome, rarely used it).
  • Reply 30 of 61
    29922992 Posts: 202member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prism View Post

You want me to repeat myself?

It is not possible, as far as I know, to add a folder structure to my bookmarks in the way I can in IE of FF (don't know about Chrome, rarely used it).

sure it's possible, but it's not as straight forward as FF or IE is. It's straight forward a-la OSX style.

...errr, just gooooogle it.
  • Reply 31 of 61
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Zzzz . . . they still make Firefox?

Indeed they do:

May 2010 \t

IE8 16.0%

IE7 9.1%

IE6 7.1%

Firefox 46.9%

Chrome 14.5%

Safari 3.5%

Opera 2.2%

http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_stats.asp
  • Reply 32 of 61
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 2992 View Post

sure it's possible, but it's not as straight forward as FF or IE is. It's straight forward a-la OSX style.

...errr, just gooooogle it.

I had googled it before, but not sure why I didn't find it before.

Figured it out finally, but it's still a crap bookmark-editor imo.

At least I can have folders now. No need for FireFox for me.
  • Reply 33 of 61
    sheffsheff Posts: 1,407member
    I gave FF3.6 a boot with Chrome 5. It is so much faster, has awesome extensions and themes and TABS ON TOP.

That said I am testing nightly betas and I am impressed. FF4 is way faster at booting, Windows UI is amazing (they are still working on mac version), it looks like they will have TABS ON TOP OPTION. And of course page load speeds are hella faster, as fast as chrome and much more fluid. Can't wait for the final, which might woo me back to using FF as default.

PS Used to run safari as secondary, but after google did extensions, themes and tabs on top I dropped it in favor of chrome (which then became primary is FF continued to slow down). Reader button is cool though.
  • Reply 34 of 61
    benicebenice Posts: 382member
    I'm glad to see Firefox planning to start handling passwords properly.

Having to use 1password as a separate app (which probably just piggybacks off keychain) is a waste of money. It's also unreliable in that it doesn't lock itself properly and seems like it missed the detailed user testing stage.

If Firefox and their iphone app offer the capability of storing a little extra information as well not just the form data it could be very promising.
  • Reply 35 of 61
    john galtjohn galt Posts: 960member
    Despite what the beta download says about system requirements, FF 4.0 requires Leopard or SN.

Won't launch with Tiger.
  • Reply 36 of 61
    nolivingnoliving Posts: 90member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DCJ001 View Post

QuickTime, for me, works great.

Ya and flash works great on Nvidia's website. I thought his point was quite good, Jobs always complains about flash and says html5 is the future, if that is so then why does apple still require quick time plugin's to play videos on their website?
  • Reply 37 of 61
    yep firefox is slow, crashes alot, and i'm ambivalent towards it...

...but one thing that keeps me coming back time and time again despite having safari and chrome in the dock next to it is....the awesome bar......it's freakin awesome
  • Reply 38 of 61
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RationalTroll View Post

Indeed they do:

May 2010 \t

IE8 16.0%

IE7 9.1%

IE6 7.1%

Firefox 46.9%

Chrome 14.5%

Safari 3.5%

Opera 2.2%

http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_stats.asp

1) w3schools is like talking AppleInsider or MacRumour browser stats, they aren?t even close to accurate. How about ArsTechnica which puts IE in the lead.

2) Why highlight Safari and not Chrome? Are you make a pejorative comment about Safari but Chrome gets a pass? Silly!

3) The entire point of the browser wars fighting against IE and Mozilla?s uphill battle with Firefox was to get open standards in place. That has been accomplished, with even MS following suit with IE9 (which is moving faster than Firefox right now, and has a real change of overtaking it in standards compliance).

4) Everything else should just be put under the WebKit, because that is all that matters. No one should care if Safari or Chrome has the most marketshare, the point is that they all run the same things. Now that so many browsers are so compliant, the only real choice are the options each app has to fit the user?s needs.
  • Reply 39 of 61
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

1) w3schools is like talking AppleInsider or MacRumour browser stats, they aren?t even close to accurate. How about ArsTechnica which puts IE in the lead.

No matter how you slice it, Apple's cross-platform Safari is unloved by most, with FF eclipsing it in market share many times over in every survey you can find.
  • Reply 40 of 61
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RationalTroll View Post

No matter how you slice it, Apple's cross-platform Safari is unloved by most, with FF eclipsing it in market share many times over in every survey you can find.

:sigh: I try to give you the benefit of the doubt, but you just want to demonize anything Apple does. Did you really think 100% of all Mac users would use Safari or that Safari for Windows would be huge hit when it?s engine was used for switch in iTunes? How about WebKit?s dominance on mobiles and growing use on desktops and consoles? Yes, it?s all shit! Back to the Ignore List again, your trial is over.