Apple's iPad finds enterprise adoption at Wells Fargo, SAP

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 34
    newbeenewbee Posts: 2,055member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Mea culpa, typing on the iPhone and not proofreading before sending has its pitfalls.

Solipsism, not trying to be a wiseass or anything, but I'm truly curious. I've re-read your post and I'm trying to figure out how typing it on an iPhone as opposed to a regular keyboard would change the meaning of your post .... what am I doing wrong?
  • Reply 22 of 34
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by newbee View Post

Solipsism, not trying to be a wiseass or anything, but I'm truly curious. I've re-read your post and I'm trying to figure out how typing it on an iPhone as opposed to a regular keyboard would change the meaning of your post .... what am I doing wrong?

I left out the word ?can?t?, which changed the tone. The amount of text I can see on the iPhone screen is small and auto-correction isn?t always accurate. It?s my fault for not proofreading before submitting. I got into a bad habit of doing that after the fact as it?s easier to read than in the text window, but if I?m posing on the iPhone I am usually busy doing other tasks and can forget to check. So, it?s squarely fault and I will try to be proofread before submitting in the future.
  • Reply 23 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

It is the new post-Mac platform. Not saying Mac is going to die out in the next 5 years, but the iPad platform will outsell Mac by about 5:1 over the next few years... my humble prediction.

The iPad is pretty great, really. Limitations exist, but for so many non-Mac users to accept such limitations is really surprising and bodes well.

I think your prediction is a good one, not because the iPad is a better product than my 24" iMac, for instance .... but because it is fills a need at a better price for a lot more people.

.. In my case, even 'tho I really like having the ability to do a lot more on my iMac ... and I actually do, sometimes ... the vast majority of my computing time is spent doing all the things that an iPad can handle very nicely. Combine that with cloud computing and an iPad may very well be the top seller in the future.
  • Reply 24 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I left out the word ?can?t?, which changed the tone. The amount of text I can see on the iPhone screen is small and auto-correction isn?t always accurate. It?s my fault for not proofreading before submitting. I got into a bad habit of doing that after the fact as it?s easier to read than in the text window, but if I?m posing on the iPhone I am usually busy doing other tasks and can forget to check. So, it?s squarely fault and I will try to be proofread before submitting in the future.

It all makes sense to me now ... you fixed it before I read it ... I gotta get faster at this.
  • Reply 25 of 34
    oldmacguyoldmacguy Posts: 151member
    Quote:

A number of companies have turned to Apple's iPad for their business needs...

The camel's nose is under the tent.
  • Reply 26 of 34
    lilgto64lilgto64 Posts: 1,147member
    They should have called it the TARDIS - and then advertised with "It's Bigger on the Inside"

T= Time

A = And

R = Relative

D = Dimension

I = In

S = Space

or

T = Total

A = Apple

R = Reality

D = Distortion

I = In

S = Space

hmm, might need some work yet.
  • Reply 27 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

It's way past time for normal people to completely ignore what the so-called tech types predict. declare, and otherwise pontificate about. And that includes the "I'll buy one when it has XXX" posts in this very thread. They have been totally, completely, embarassingly, ignorantly WRONG about every single product release by Apple in the last 5 years. They have no clue about the market, no clue about what normal users want, and clearly no clue about what a company like Apple is all about. They don't have even a tiny bit of a clue when it comes to useability and customer satisifaction.

It's time we start calling these people out on their crap. The tech/nerd wannabe emperors have no clothes. They live in their holier-than-thou fantasy world of technical specs and features. They lord it over on their family members and co-workers. They as ludicrous as the Saturday Night Live "your company computer guy" sketches of a few years ago.

Such malevolent naysayers never had it on their minds for one moment to present the cold technical facts, except where it suits their ill-hidden agendas.

They are for the main paid shills of opposing corporate forces and rivals who would stoop to any base and unethical tactics to undermine their rivals. Companies whose philosophy is summed up by the maxim: "It is not enough that we succeed - others must fail". The Western corporate world is chock-full of these abominations to enterprise, and they justify their ethos by their need to be ruthless on the Capitalist battlefield.

Then we also have, synchronising with these base sentiments, techno-zealots and fanatics with massive inferiority complexes and irrational preferences that override their reason and lead them to continually predict failure and doom even in the face of the most obvious.

This sentiment, which does them no credit (indeed grave discredit) runs really deep, and no amount of "calling these people out on their crap" will deter them. It's no exaggeration to say that these people have been at it for over a decade now, and show no sign of abatement.
  • Reply 28 of 34
    justflybobjustflybob Posts: 1,337member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by OldMacGuy View Post

The camel's nose is under the tent.

And the eagle flies only at midnight.

Now, shouldn't we both be wearing dark glasses, trenchcoats and funny hats?
  • Reply 29 of 34
    multimediamultimedia Posts: 1,035member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Proximityeffect View Post

Just think it it allowed you to print from the darn thing...

That's the main thing I miss.

Free Wireless Printing From The iPad Is Already Happening. Several Free apps let you do it now.

PrinterShare

HP iPrint

ePrint Free

More if you just look
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NormM View Post

There are currently several apps that allow this. I use Air Sharing, which advertises in the product description:

Requires Mac OS X (10.5+) or Linux with Printer Sharing

Prints most viewable formats

No special desktop software required

I've never had a problem printing anything that Air Sharing can open. It can directly get all attachments from your email, pictures from the Photo gallery, and it automatically opens some downloads from Safari.

Or print from a Mac or PC to the iPhone or iPad with ACTPrinter - Virtual Printer
  • Reply 30 of 34
    tofinotofino Posts: 697member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Psych_guy;

If there were a FileMaker Pro client for the iPad, it would be my primary work tool. I have a client base I keep records on with FMP. Printing from that would be key also.

For now my MBP meets my needs for work, but I have to say I love my iPad for keeping my calendar (via MobileMe), surfing the web and just having fun.

Edited to ad: Bento doesn't count. I created the database from scratch. I need FMP.

Odd, isn't it? The iPhone platform has been around for three years, and FileMaker - a subsidiary of Apple Inc. - thinks that Bento is good enough. If I remember correctly, there is no compatibility between the two products either... There was better integration between Appleworks and the Newton over a decade ago.

The database component seems like a piece of the puzzle that's been missing for a while now, both from iWorks and the iPhone. I've always wondered why that is.
  • Reply 31 of 34
    tofinotofino Posts: 697member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Proximityeffect;

Just think it it allowed you to print from the darn thing...

That's the main thing I miss.

Funny... I work in the print industry and gave up owning a printer about ten years ago. Remember the 'paperless office' (ca. 1987??). It's here people! Embrace it!

I know, I know, it doesn't work for every scenario, but I think the major obstacle is human inertia, not technical feasibility. What are these documents that call for the sacrifice of ancient forests? I wonder how much crap gets printed just to be tossed after one read...

(totally not directed at you, but thank you for indulging me. ;-)
  • Reply 32 of 34
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,755member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

the iPad platform will outsell Mac by about 5:1 over the next few years... my humble prediction.

The iPad and iOS devices to follow will outsell Windows within the next five years. That's what I see coming. The iPad and the "walled garden" are perfect for the majority of users who are looking to accomplish work and tasks and not "compute" for the sake of computing.
  • Reply 33 of 34
    thepixeldocthepixeldoc Posts: 2,257member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tofino View Post

Funny... I work in the print industry and gave up owning a printer about ten years ago. Remember the 'paperless office' (ca. 1987??). It's here people! Embrace it!

I know, I know, it doesn't work for every scenario, but I think the major obstacle is human inertia, not technical feasibility. What are these documents that call for the sacrifice of ancient forests? I wonder how much crap gets printed just to be tossed after one read...

(totally not directed at you, but thank you for indulging me. ;-)

+1 - and I work in the advertising and packaging industry. Over the last few years, with around a thousand projects per year, I actually use about a one package of A3 and A4 paper each, per year. All of the daily correspondence is done with email, PDFs, and workgroup (web) collaboration software.

There is a serious advantage to not using paper, and that is having years and years worth of info at your fingertips. That is if you know how to organize on your computer, use tagging software, and know how powerful Find, Spotlight, or apps like HoudaSpot are. Far superior to digging through paper files.

@psych guy - my team actually likes and uses Bento. You can export your data from FM, and with a few workarounds, get it to be useful and workable within Bento without "too" much hassle. Give it a try at least.

PS: this just in for people wanting to migrate FM data FMTouch Enterprise deploys FileMaker databases to iOS devices
  • Reply 34 of 34
    jharnjharn Posts: 1member
    TOA Technologies is developing the app for Arhaus, and we're delighted to help make this exciting innovation in service and efficiency possible our long-time customer. In addition cutting down costs and delivery time, the iPad will function as an on-the-go marketing tool, allowing Arhaus' drivers to showcase their product line to customers on the spot. http://www.toatech.com

The iPad's unique features (built-in GPS function, ability to collect electronic signatures) allow companies to streamline current operations and increase productivity. It's no surprise that more than 50% of the fortune100 deploying or piloting the ipad within the first 90 days of its fallibility. We hope to see more businesses take advantage of the iPad in the near future.