Purported next-gen iPod touch parts suggest forward-facing camera

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
More evidence of a FaceTime-enabled iPod touch appeared Thursday, when parts claimed to be from Apple's forthcoming handheld device surfaced online.



Two alleged iPod touch parts are listed on Alibaba.com, a global online business-to-business trading platform. One seller, Jack Telecom (HK) Co., includes the LCD screen and outside panel. It was listed under the name "lcd with digitizer for ipod touch 4gen."



The second seller, GDS Industry Co., Ltd., listed a product under the name "MP4 touch screen for Ipod touch 4g digitizer." It shows the exact same front panel, but does not include the LCD display.



Both front panels clearly show a hole above the screen, which would likely be used for a forward-facing camera to conduct a FaceTime video chat. Currently, FaceTime is available only on the iPhone 4.



But Apple's open FaceTime standard does not require a mobile signal in order to work. Users can initiate a FaceTime video chat on the iPhone 4 using only Wi-Fi, suggesting the transition to the iPod touch would not be difficult.







The pictures follow a rumor from earlier Thursday, in which U.K. retailer John Lewis said it heard from suppliers that Apple's next-generation iPod touch would include FaceTime capabilities. The retailer said FaceTime calling over Wi-Fi would allow iPod touch users to "communicate with friends at zero cost."



The parts did not give any indication whether other features claimed by John Lewis were true. The company said at its event in London that the new iPod touch would also include a 5 megapixel camera lens with flash, and would also be able to record high-definition video that could be uploaded directly to YouTube.







It also said that the fourth-generation iPod touch would include both an accelerometer and a gyroscope. The gyroscope was added to the iPhone 4, and allows games on the App Store to take advantage of more precise controls.
«1

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 36
    This is great. Will they integrate a mic as well? That's missing from the current iPod Touch.



    Wouldn't it be cheaper just to use the same body as the iPhone 4?

    Or maybe the plan is to always use the body of the cheaper iPhone (3Gs).
  • Reply 2 of 36
    tundraboytundraboy Posts: 1,573member
    If this is true, Touch will be an even bigger hit with kids. I wonder if they can deploy Facetime (without the full iOS footprint) on Nano?
  • Reply 3 of 36
    joe hsjoe hs Posts: 488member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tundraboy View Post


    If this is true, Touch will be an even bigger hit with kids. I wonder if they can deploy Facetime (without the full iOS footprint) on Nano?



    that would require not only a forward facing camera, but wifi would need to be added aswel.
  • Reply 4 of 36
    This story was reported yesterday by another site:



    http://technologme.com/new-ipods-com...cro-sims/1463/
  • Reply 5 of 36
    alanhalanh Posts: 30member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Joe hs View Post


    that would require not only a forward facing camera, but wifi would need to be added aswel.



    All iPod touches already have WiFi - always have had.



    I see all these features as logical steps for the touch. I would like to see a device with all the features of the iPhone 4 minus the phone. An iPod touch has pretty much always been that.
  • Reply 6 of 36
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AlanH View Post


    All iPod touches already have WiFi - always have had.



    I see all these features as logical steps for the touch. I would like to see a device with all the features of the iPhone 4 minus the phone. An iPod touch has pretty much always been that.



    He's talking about the Nano.



    I wonder how all these parts keep leaking out to the public.
  • Reply 7 of 36
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,162member
    If substantiated and more widely known, this could really slow down current pad sales. I hope they release it quickly. This is why I haven't bought the current model--waiting for first major upgrade.
  • Reply 8 of 36
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Good Fella View Post


    He's talking about the Nano.



    I think the Nano getting WiFi is likely. Cisco is reportedly adding WiFi (and FaceTime) to the next Flip cameras.



    Quote:

    I wonder how all these parts keep leaking out to the public.



    Considering that there are several countries and dozens of companies involved with the components, manufacturing and supply chain I?m surprised they keep a much as they do secret.
  • Reply 9 of 36
    prof. peabodyprof. peabody Posts: 2,860member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post


    I think the Nano getting WiFi is likely. Cisco is reportedly adding WiFi (and FaceTime) to the next Flip cameras. ...



    The Flip is quite a bit bigger than the iPhone though, which is again a whole lot bigger than a nano.
  • Reply 10 of 36
    banchobancho Posts: 1,514member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jacob1varghese View Post


    This is great. Will they integrate a mic as well? That's missing from the current iPod Touch.



    Wouldn't it be cheaper just to use the same body as the iPhone 4?

    Or maybe the plan is to always use the body of the cheaper iPhone (3Gs).



    While the two devices are similar, they are not the same. The Touch has a different back (shape and material). They may pull an iPhone and continue selling the previous version (completely different form factor) as the entry level Touch.



    I'd venture to guess that the next Touch may end up looking like a smaller iPad. I could easily see them switching to an aluminum back ala iPad.



    All I can say for certain is that my son will probably be begging for one.
  • Reply 11 of 36
    banalltvbanalltv Posts: 238member
    Thought that little hole was for the ambient light sensor.
  • Reply 12 of 36
    joe hsjoe hs Posts: 488member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Banalltv View Post


    Thought that little hole was for the ambient light sensor.



    The ambient light sensor has no hole. It is behind the glass on the current model.
  • Reply 13 of 36
    mactelmactel Posts: 1,275member
    That will be so nice. I plan to buy one for my daughter and will hold off until the refresh. It would be nice if the refresh were sooner than the typical September timeframe.
  • Reply 14 of 36
    macvictamacvicta Posts: 346member
    I'm more interested in the design. Will it be the new ice cream sandwich look of the iPhone 4 but with a stainless steel back? Will it have the new antenna?
  • Reply 15 of 36
    daharderdaharder Posts: 1,580member
    Surprise... NOT!



    To expect the next iPod Touch to be anything less/more than a a 4th Gen iPhone sans phone capabilities is just naive.
  • Reply 16 of 36
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post


    Surprise... NOT!



    To expect the next iPod Touch to be anything less/more than a a 4th Gen iPhone sans phone capabilities is just naive.



    I think every iPod Touch has had a feature the iPhone didn?t have from that year.
  • Reply 17 of 36
    banalltvbanalltv Posts: 238member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Joe hs View Post


    The ambient light sensor has no hole. It is behind the glass on the current model.



    If I hold my 2nd Gen Touch to the light I can see a hole in the black area. It's slightly right of centre and near the top.
  • Reply 18 of 36
    strawberrystrawberry Posts: 180member
    If next year's iPad gets a Retina Display and FaceTime, I will so buy one.
  • Reply 19 of 36
    sheffsheff Posts: 1,407member
    It could be a light sensor.



    If they do stick a camera inside I think it would be a backwards facing camera. Otherwise you need two, cause having a camera for facetime only is not a good idea (it will be used once or twice a month at best considering only iphone 4 for now).
  • Reply 20 of 36
    sacto joesacto joe Posts: 618member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Strawberry View Post


    If next year's iPad gets a Retina Display and FaceTime, I will so buy one.



    You aren't alone. Affordable FaceTime device? Wow!



    And next year the iPad. Count on it.



    (I wondered why they didn't have a forward facing camera on the iPad. Now I know; they're fazing FaceTime on.)
Sign In or Register to comment.