alt.country

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 33
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    Wow, amorph, you guys are good! I was pleasantly surprised.

What do you play? Guitar? Drums? Vocal Chords?

My <a href="http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/ftmband"; target="_blank">friends</a> are also selling a CD at CDBaby.com, they certainly aren't anything approaching the genre of this thread, but it's a small world.

[edit]

What I really like about countryish music is how raw it sounds. You get a few instruments together, pick an emotion and it seems like it's all very natural. The highest highs and the lowest lows, kind of thing.

[ 04-25-2002: Message edited by: groverat ]</p>
  • Reply 22 of 33
    thoth2thoth2 Posts: 277member
    [quote]Originally posted by pscates:

<strong>

Ohmigosh, I used to go to that! When I lived in Tennessee (before I moved to SoCal), I went to that (formerly called the Merle Watson Memorial Bluegrass Festival). I went four times in five years. We always stayed at that Days Inn directly across from the grounds!

I had a BLAST there. I'd go with my dad and girlfriend and we'd have a great weekend.

I met (and got autographs from) Bill Monroe, Emmylou Harris, Marty Stuart, Carl Jackson, Vince Gill, Mark O'Connor, Jerry Douglas, Tony Rice and Sam Bush!

The coolest thing ever? About 2-3 years before Vince Gill really struck it big, he, along with Mark O'Connor, Jerry Douglas, Emory Gordy, Jr. and Carl Jackson played with Emmylou as her Angel Band. OHMIGOSH! They were SO on that day! Incredible, kick-ass acoustic/bluegrass versions of "Luxury Liner", "From Boulder to Birmingham", "Amarillo", "Blue Kentucky Girl", etc.

The following year, she was there with her Nash Ramblers, playing a more revved-up acoustic country (Jon Randall, Sam Bush, Roy Huskey, Jr., Al Perkins).

I knew who Vince Gill was and I saw him walking out hours before their set. Remember, he hadn't struck it big yet (this was a good two years before "When I Call Your Name"), but I recognized him from Nashville Network, early CMT, Rodney Crowell's band, etc. Plus, he'd had some albums out...just no major hits.

I walked up to him and said "you're my favorite guitarist EVER!" and my dad took a picture of me and Vince Gill standing there. He's wearing a black Roy Orbison T-shirt and he seemed genuinely shocked that someone knew and approached him.

Two years later, BAM...he was HUGE. And the hits haven't stopped. I've met him twice since then.

Merlefest is a BLAST! I road a shuttle bus with Bela Fleck and David Grissom one afternoon. Cool stuff: little mini-clinics, tons of campsite/parking lot jamming, etc.

I haven't been in 8 years. I hear it's gotten HUGE! I went the first year, actually, and it was quite small and laidback.</strong><hr></blockquote>

As if I wasn't already dying w/ anticipation. Vince is a great player - I lover his version of "High Lonesome sound" (that's the name I think).

Anyway, I'm going to see AKUS, Allison Brown, Jerry Douglas, Sam Bush (a repeat offender apparently) and to discover some new faves.

I'm not going to be part of the pickin' tent this year, but maybe next year.

I'll make sure to ride the bus and see if I meet some famous people!

I'll post a report on Monday.

Thoht
  • Reply 23 of 33
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    [quote]Originally posted by groverat:

<strong>

Wow, amorph, you guys are good! I was pleasantly surprised.

What do you play? Guitar? Drums? Vocal Chords?</strong><hr></blockquote>

Aw, thanks. I'm the drummer.

[quote]Originally posted by Simple Ranger:

<strong>

You're a member of the Mayflies, Amorph? That's weird. I haven't seen you guys, but I've definitely heard a lot about you. </strong><hr></blockquote>

Glad to hear it.

We're in the latter stages of recording a new, full-length CD, so gigs are a bit scarce right now. I should have a site up in the next few days, and there'll be a [link to a] calendar.

We'll be at the California Clipper in Chicago on June 14th. That's not our next gig, but it's the only one substantial enough to mention here.

Oh, and Mike and Amy will be on our CD! They've agreed to do guest vocals on a Neil Young song, "One of These Days." I agree, they're amazing.

[quote]Originally posted by pscates:

<strong>

The coolest thing ever? About 2-3 years before Vince Gill really struck it big, he, along with Mark O'Connor, Jerry Douglas, Emory Gordy, Jr. and Carl Jackson played with Emmylou as her Angel Band. OHMIGOSH! They were SO on that day! Incredible, kick-ass acoustic/bluegrass versions of "Luxury Liner", "From Boulder to Birmingham", "Amarillo", "Blue Kentucky Girl", etc.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Daaaaamn. That's a band. :eek: Any recordings? I've gotta hear that. Emmylou has such a beautiful voice.

Speaking of Mark O'Connor, even though it's really pushing the bounds of the genre here, I have to put a plug in for Appalachia Waltz. It's better than the reviews said it was.

[ 04-25-2002: Message edited by: Amorph ]</p>
  • Reply 24 of 33
    I am also hell-bent on getting my girlfriend to appreciate the music of her heritage. Born and raised in a &lt;14,000 person town and hates country music because she thinks it's all Tim McGraw and Little Texas. *sigh*

I've been warming her up to the theory with a little folk-rocking stuff, but God help me there will be a day we'll both be jamming to Emmylou in the car!
  • Reply 25 of 33

<strong>I am also hell-bent on getting my girlfriend to appreciate the music of her heritage. Born and raised in a &lt;14,000 person town and hates country music because she thinks it's all Tim McGraw and Little Texas. *sigh*

I've been warming her up to the theory with a little folk-rocking stuff, but God help me there will be a day we'll both be jamming to Emmylou in the car!</strong><hr></blockquote>

Actually, here's a thought. Rent the movie "the Songcatcher." Its enough of a chick movie that she'll get suckered into the music, and as a music lover, you'll appreciate the movie for the story of music's role in the life of simple people.

Amorph: I'm not sure, but I think Merlefest has rules similar to Austin City limits about recording. Like, there are none allowed. Teluride has some recordings though and heavy hitters go there.

It is my understanding that there are bands of that strength every night at the "midnight jam" at Merlefest. You ought to get in your car and drive to Statesville, NC!!!

Thoth
  • Reply 26 of 33
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    Yeah, I seem to recall a pretty strict "no recording" policy at Wilkesboro. But I'm sure lots of people did.
  • Reply 27 of 33
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    [quote]Originally posted by Thoth2:

<strong>

Amorph: I'm not sure, but I think Merlefest has rules similar to Austin City limits about recording. Like, there are none allowed. Teluride has some recordings though and heavy hitters go there.</strong><hr></blockquote>

No surprise, really. I'm just interested in any recordings by that lineup, no matter where they were (including the studio).

[quote]<strong>It is my understanding that there are bands of that strength every night at the "midnight jam" at Merlefest. You ought to get in your car and drive to Statesville, NC!!!

</strong><hr></blockquote>

Love to, but at this short notice it's not gonna happen.

Sometimes adult life sucks. But only sometimes.
  • Reply 28 of 33
    Why no recording? That's pretty weak, music is meant to be heard.

---

I don't know if this will make the purists' stomachs turn, but Ryan Adams' Gold is fantastic.

Grab "Touch, Feel and Lose" and "When The Stars Go Blue" off Audiogalaxy if you've got broadband. (Also grab "Answering Bell" and see if you can guess the background singer)

I won't be buying many CDs for a month or so, I'm dirt poor right now and I've bought 4 in the last month that I really couldn't afford. Yikes.

[ 04-25-2002: Message edited by: groverat ]</p>
  • Reply 29 of 33
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    alternative country is my favorite genre right now and 80% of what I listen to every day.

WFUV 90.7 is mostly alternative country and has the best mix of music of any station I have heard. It's Fordham U's stations it just plain simply rocks

<a href="http://www.wfuv.org"; target="_blank">www.wfuv.org</a>
  • Reply 30 of 33
    FYI, Merlefest is broadcasting live on XM Satelite Radio. THe festival started weds, so its going on right now for you to listen to if you have such capability. If you hear someone screaming "WOOOOHOOOOOO!" That's probably me. Or some other redneck.

Thoth
  • Reply 31 of 33

<strong>Wow, amorph, you guys are good! </strong><hr></blockquote>

Ditto that! That?s good stuff!

[ 04-26-2002: Message edited by: roger_ramjet ]</p>
  • Reply 32 of 33
    Thanks to my good friend Mr. Intarweb I am now swimming around in a beautiful playlist of 20+ hours of alt.country/rockabilly/psychobilly/rootsrock/folkrock/blahblah

Hooray for my favorite radio station!