Apple Safari Extensions Gallery launching soon

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Apple has sent a reminder to its developers that the company's new storefront for web extensions will be opening to the public soon, providing an App Store-like experience for customizing and extending the new Safari 5 browser.



"Submit your Safari extension today," the email says. "Selected extensions will be featured on the new Safari Extensions Gallery. We?ll soon be launching the Safari Extensions Gallery, a new destination that provides you with an opportunity to increase the visibility of your Safari extension beyond your website."



The note adds, "the Safari Extensions Gallery will feature selected extensions that offer an innovative user experience. And a one-click installation process will allow users to seamlessly install extensions from a developer?s website without ever having to leave the Gallery. Have your extension considered for the Safari Extensions Gallery. Submit your extension download URL and supporting metadata today."



Developers can already distribute Safari extensions on their own, and at least one site has appeared to draw attention to the browser extensions that are already available.



"It remains unclear just how choosy Apple?s Safari Extension Gallery will be," writes Jonas Wisser, who maintains the Safari Extensions blog. "From the line about innovative user experiences, it seems like there?s a chance the SEG will be more selective than the App Store has been. If that?s the case, I will likely continue posting submitted extensions here to provide a less curated center for extension distribution."







How Safari 5 Extensions work



Apple originally announced the coming Safari Extension Gallery alongside the release of Safari 5 at WWDC. It presents the extension feature as a way for third parties to create buttons for the toolbar or make your own extension bar, change the way web content appears or add controls to web pages.



"Safari Extensions are built with web standards, so you can do it all using the power of HTML5, CSS3, and JavaScript," Apple's Safari site explains. "If you know how to develop web pages, then you already know how to make extensions for Safari.



"Help with putting it all together is built right in. It?s called Extension Builder, and it makes it simple to package your extension for distribution and installation. Instead of manually entering your scripts, menu items, stylesheets, and commands in a complicated text file, you can select your extension resources visually in a template that?s as easy to fill out as a form. You can also use the built-in Web Inspector to design, debug, and optimize your extension, just as you would a website."



Apple also notes that "every Safari extension is signed with an Apple-provided digital certificate ? free with the Safari Developer Program. The certificate protects the extensions you develop from tampering and ensures that updates come only from you. Safari Extensions also include built-in defenses like sandboxing, which safeguards your extensions from being used to access information on a user?s system"

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 20
    joe hsjoe hs Posts: 488member
    " 'bout time! "
  • Reply 2 of 20
    pxtpxt Posts: 683member
    I like the paragraph at the end where the system helps developers protect the user.

    I can't say how effective that is as it's not my area of software, but generally this is the number one reason why I buy Macs not PCs.

    I would buy a lot more software if I trusted the system to protect me more.
  • Reply 3 of 20
    am8449am8449 Posts: 343member
    I hope Safari Extensions is a hit.



    The only reason why I use Firefox is because of the extensions/add-ons. I can't live without Flashblock and tab enhancements.



    If Safari offered the same extensibility, I'd switch in a nanosecond. Then I'd also get the elegance and RAM-efficiency of Apple's very own browser.
  • Reply 4 of 20
    lilgto64lilgto64 Posts: 1,147member
    I am using 7 extentions right now!



    No really, I am. Actually I have 9 installed - but had some sort of trouble with a couple and turned them off.
  • Reply 5 of 20
    myapplelovemyapplelove Posts: 1,515member
    Great news and about time.
  • Reply 6 of 20
    Hope they can stop Safari 5 from crashing each time I switch Extensions on. Only used adblock and a couple of others but even with these turned off and extensions enabled 5 crashed every session.
  • Reply 7 of 20
    milkmagemilkmage Posts: 152member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by am8449 View Post


    I hope Safari Extensions is a hit.



    The only reason why I use Firefox is because of the extensions/add-ons. I can't live without Flashblock and tab enhancements.



    If Safari offered the same extensibility, I'd switch in a nanosecond. Then I'd also get the elegance and RAM-efficiency of Apple's very own browser.



    there's click to flash..
  • Reply 8 of 20
    asciiascii Posts: 5,941member
    Nothing says "We're out of ideas," like adding an extensions framework to your product.
  • Reply 9 of 20
    kolchakkolchak Posts: 1,398member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bloodshotrollin'red View Post


    Hope they can stop Safari 5 from crashing each time I switch Extensions on. Only used adblock and a couple of others but even with these turned off and extensions enabled 5 crashed every session.



    The Adblock extension is known to cause serious problems with stability. Avoid it for now. I got daily crashes until I uninstalled it.
  • Reply 10 of 20
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ascii View Post


    Nothing says "We're out of ideas," like adding an extensions framework to your product.



    Wow! Some people just can't be happy. If they never released extensions you'd probably be b*thing because Safari doesn't support them.
  • Reply 11 of 20
    myapplelovemyapplelove Posts: 1,515member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by crawdad62 View Post


    Wow! Some people just can't be happy. If they never released extensions you'd probably be b*thing because Safari doesn't support them.



    No they are happy, they are happy bitching. Serously though this is neurotic suffering.
  • Reply 12 of 20
    successsuccess Posts: 1,039member
    Holy shit!!! This is HUGE. The only reason I still keep Firefox is because Safari doesn't have a native extension for Japanese translation i.e. Rikachan. I also like Firefox's YouTube video extensions because they convert automatically for mp4. Opening the activity window in Safari, located the flv blah blah blah is a waste of time. Plus with the new HTML5 videos it takes even longer.





    Can't wait.
  • Reply 13 of 20
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by crawdad62 View Post


    Wow! Some people just can't be happy. If they never released extensions you'd probably be b*thing because Safari doesn't support them.



    The Spartans has this problem solved, throw the defects over a cliff, long before they start blubbering and whining.
  • Reply 14 of 20
    icyfogicyfog Posts: 338member
    Excellent. With Safari and Chrome, I find myself using Firefox less and less.
  • Reply 15 of 20
    drdbdrdb Posts: 99member
    I can't wait for an extension that makes the URL autofill behaviour more sensible in Safari 5.
  • Reply 16 of 20
    erunnoerunno Posts: 225member
    Problem is that Safari's and Chrome's extension frameworks are vastly inferior to Firefox' when it comes to flexibility. Firefox' extension mechanism is so general that it pretty much allows you to remodel each aspect of the browser. That's the reason why we only see rather basic extensions for Chrome and Safari and none of the more radicals ones like Vimperator.
  • Reply 17 of 20
    successsuccess Posts: 1,039member
    How do I get Safari to always autofill every field on every page I visit? For example when I go to a new site that asks for a username, Firefox displays words from the previous words I've used to fill in various fields before.



    This isn't the regular autofill feature I'm talking about. When you start typing in any new field say with the letter "P" all names you've ever typed with the letter "P" display.



    Even forum thread titles are remembered. Love it. Other people's text displays too. Quite interesting. Saves major time. I thought it was cookies but even after clearing cookies I still got it. Somehow it's using history of every field I've ever typed in AND other people's entries too.



    Wish Safari could do it.
  • Reply 18 of 20
    asciiascii Posts: 5,941member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by crawdad62 View Post


    Wow! Some people just can't be happy. If they never released extensions you'd probably be b*thing because Safari doesn't support them.



    No I wouldn't. They should have the balls to decide on a feature set and stand by it. That is part of the strength of Apple's products. Not add an extensions framework and thereby make their app the promiscuous bitch of all comers.
  • Reply 19 of 20
    pik80pik80 Posts: 148member
    The feature has had it's share of fans and critics. The perfect feature for an extension.
  • Reply 20 of 20
    lilgto64lilgto64 Posts: 1,147member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by success View Post


    How do I get Safari to always autofill every field on every page I visit? For example when I go to a new site that asks for a username, Firefox displays words from the previous words I've used to fill in various fields before.



    This isn't the regular autofill feature I'm talking about. When you start typing in any new field say with the letter "P" all names you've ever typed with the letter "P" display.



    Even forum thread titles are remembered. Love it. Other people's text displays too. Quite interesting. Saves major time. I thought it was cookies but even after clearing cookies I still got it. Somehow it's using history of every field I've ever typed in AND other people's entries too.



    Wish Safari could do it.



    That could be a function of the code on the page doing a lookup against a database of previous entries and not a function of the browser or plugin.
Sign In or Register to comment.