More than 25% of iTunes users want Apple to go to the cloud

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 29
    hoodoohoodoo Posts: 5member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by -cj- View Post

I can only imagine the other 75% don't understand how convenient it is to have their entire library available anywhere, anytime.

Or perhaps the other 75% understand how inconvenient it would be...gor my Touch, how would I access my sings in the car or on the plane or in the subway? makes no sense from the places I listen to my music.
  • Reply 22 of 29
    jupiteronejupiterone Posts: 1,564member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hoodoo View Post

Or perhaps the other 75% understand how inconvenient it would be...gor my Touch, how would I access my sings in the car or on the plane or in the subway? makes no sense from the places I listen to my music.

Yes, I use the iPod part of my iPhone in only about 3 places: 1) In the gym where I get almost no reception, 2) in the car and 3) at the beach.
  • Reply 23 of 29
    sheffsheff Posts: 1,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

Not surprising. The "cloud" is simply not as attractive to many people as the proponents believe it is.

Yup especially if I have to pay for data use while I'm streaming crap onto the iPhone. Now if plans were unlimited... that would be another story, cause you could get away with an 8gig iPhone3GS and still have all of your music and video available to you.
  • Reply 24 of 29
    str1f3str1f3 Posts: 573member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AIaddict View Post

There have been music subscription services for years. Several are available on Apple products, none are doing very well.

Why would I pay Apple to stream my iTunes purchases? Why would I pay them more than what Pandora charges super heavy users, or what it costs me to get OTA radio stations on my iDevice? Apple would have to offer something pretty special to get $10 per month.

Music subscriptions have failed for years because iPods didn't support music subscription services until the App Store opened. An iTunes subscription service would allow for better integration with the iPod app and make Genius/ iTunes DJ infinitely more useful.

Streaming iTunes purchases is useless. No one has enough purchases where they don't have enough room on their iDevice to store it. Unfortunately the main issue is the data cap though I could see Apple making a deal with AT&T to allow it to not count against the cap.
  • Reply 25 of 29
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

I have no interest in the cloud for iTunes. Nor anything for that matter. If they roll it out, it better be free.

They're not going to roll it out because this is 100% speculation by analysts meant to churn up interest in Apple's stock. It is total nonsense.
  • Reply 26 of 29
    kellya74ukellya74u Posts: 171member

deleted

• Reply 27 of 29
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    As long as "cloud" doesn't come at the expense of "non-cloud" offerings, I don't see the problem with it. The suggestion that Apple would offer streaming for free is silly, unless it's an added bonus for having paid for the song through them. But would it be enough to convince the fence-sitters to switch? I don't see that, and I don't see Apple paying more for the rights to stream, as well as the costs of the infrastructure to offering streaming.
  • Reply 28 of 29
    Streaming from iPhone, iPad, iPod Touch & Apple TV of purchased Songs, Music Videos, TV Programmes and films would be brilliant idea in future. As long as the service is done well, the iPhone 5 gets 4g support and content pricing goes down a fair amount (£0.49 - £0.79 per 320K/Bits song, £3 - £5 to buy an album, £0.99 - £1.29 per HD Music Videos, £1.29 - £1.99 per HD TV episode and £5.99 - £9.99 per HD Film).
  • Reply 29 of 29
    mcdavemcdave Posts: 1,927member
    I don't think they have much choice. The iDevices are enslaved to iTunes and need to break free/cut the cord or more accurately, they need a new Master.

iPad sales have been doing well but there's only so much of a market for an extra device that works better than a NetBook. If it's truly to replace NetBooks it needs autonomy & the first step its to lose dependence on a Mac/PC based version of iTunes.

If the iTunes library were held in the cloud (alongside MobileMe data) that would be a start. iTunes capable devices already have bi-directional synching to pull remote purchases back to the iTunes 'Master' library but this need to be more free-form.

If Apple don't do this autonomous Andriod/Win7 tablets will replace iPads as surely as they are replacing NetBooks, even if it's for all the wrong reasons.

McD