iPhone 4 antenna hardware fix anticipated as some orders are delayed

Comments

• Reply 21 of 69
    quevarquevar Posts: 101member
    I've been debating all day today how far the stock is going to drop tomorrow. I can't think of a single realistic thing Apple can say tomorrow that won't hurt their stock. Remember, stock price has little to do with the actual amount of money they'll make, but rather the perceived ability to make money. In store fix - expensive, like this article seems to mention. Bumpers - would cost money, not much, but it's also an inelegant solution that would take all bragging rights away from their design team. Recall - obviously expensive. Software fix - unlikely to happen and many would blow it off as not workable anyway. Saying there is no problem - bad face that will lead to worse PR down the road. They only seem to be able to admit there is a problem and propose a solution to it. All of these will cost money. I'm surprised these article/forums haven't had more discussion of the stock price.
  • Reply 22 of 69
    tulkastulkas Posts: 3,757member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

Started posting on the very day that SpotOn was banned. Just so we know.

I wonder if the mods have checked his IP. Sort of pointless to ban someone and their alts just pop back in.
  • Reply 23 of 69
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

Anand's latest article:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/3821/i...1-signal-fix/1

See I don't know if I buy that either as I get absolutely horrible reception in my office (in general one or two bars) and I can't get the phone to drop to seraching and my data speeds are still quicker than my previous iphones no matter how hard I try.
  • Reply 24 of 69
    kwatsonkwatson Posts: 95member
    What??? If the antenna is shorted by a hand on the outside, then there's no shorting issue on the inside. A rubber stopper won't do a thing. Either this rumor is crap, or Apple (or the analyst) thinks its users are idiots. Quick fix indeed.
  • Reply 25 of 69
    johnnykrzjohnnykrz Posts: 152member
    NOOOO!!! I just ordered my iPhone 4 earlier this week. It was supposed to take 3 weeks from Apple and 7-10 days from AT&T, so I went with AT&T. Now it might take 8 weeks!!! Oh, the agony! I don't care about this problem. I will use a case anyway.
  • Reply 26 of 69
    aaarrrggghaaarrrgggh Posts: 1,609member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quevar View Post

I've been debating all day today how far the stock is going to drop tomorrow. I can't think of a single realistic thing Apple can say tomorrow that won't hurt their stock. Remember, stock price has little to do with the actual amount of money they'll make, but rather the perceived ability to make money. In store fix - expensive, like this article seems to mention. Bumpers - would cost money, not much, but it's also an inelegant solution that would take all bragging rights away from their design team. Recall - obviously expensive. Software fix - unlikely to happen and many would blow it off as not workable anyway. Saying there is no problem - bad face that will lead to worse PR down the road. They only seem to be able to admit there is a problem and propose a solution to it. All of these will cost money. I'm surprised these article/forums haven't had more discussion of the stock price.

I sold some puts; I trust in Apple's mastery of the game.

They can't change the antenna design; it will screw up the FCC listing. Mechanically, all they can do is lacquer the outside so you don't electrically short it. Electrically, they could isolate wifi and 3G if it senses a short and possibly reduce the tuning losses, but I think they would still have a problem.
  • Reply 27 of 69
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    i getting so sick with all the piling on apple

a famous car company sells defective cars for 3 yrs . The brakes on the japanese cars would not work or stick . the said car company we found out knew about this the whole time . and it did not fix the brake problem the whole time . 3 f--ing yrs .

palm pre had screens that cracked and melted until the bad batch was sold thru . palm and sprint did nothing. stone wall time

apple will fix this problem . we all should give APPLE 2 or 300 hours to sort thru this minor problem .

OR

OR

OR

and as steve said on day 5

please return the phone.and i implore the the grown babies to do so . SIMPLY RETURN YOUR PHONE FOR FULL REFUND !!P

yet apple 4 phones are still hard to get . HA

the FCC forced apple and or all phone makers to place the antenna AS far from the ear as possible . causing apple to find unique ways to make a great reception .

apple has had dozens of hard ware issues . My screen went bad on 3 lap tops in a row

apple fixed them .

i dropped my ipod 2 nd gen 3 x and all 3 were replaced on the spot no questions asked .The last one was a 4th gen ipod

i once ordered a laptop from the online store and received a more powerful machine than i paid for . Think about that for a moment ,,

we all have so many good apple stories to tell

and yes some bad ones too.

i bought apple at 13.5 .

and will take all this bullshit over the top whining as a buying op ..

i love any thing APPLE .

and may god bless steve jobs .

peace

• Reply 28 of 69
    jpcgjpcg Posts: 114member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Benjer View Post

My iPhone is slated to ship on July 23rd; just checked and the date remains the same. Anyone here experience delays?

Mine is scheduled July 22nd, arrival July 29, no change ether. I placed my order on the July 1.!! so if it gets delayed I might get kind of pissed...
  • Reply 29 of 69
    sendmesendme Posts: 567member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kwatson View Post

What??? If the antenna is shorted by a hand on the outside, then there's no shorting issue on the inside. A rubber stopper won't do a thing. Either this rumor is crap, or Apple (or the analyst) thinks its users are idiots. Quick fix indeed.

I don't believe that this rumor has any credibility whatsoever.
  • Reply 30 of 69
    gristangristan Posts: 25member
    SOME ARTICLE SAYS,

"SENIOR ENGINEER WARNED STEVE JOBS ON ANTENNA ISSUE!"

WE WARN THIS " SENIOR ENGINEER " FOR FALSE ACCUSATION AND MAY FILE A LAW-SUIT AGAINST HIM FOR CIRCULATING YET-to-EXIST FLAW CHARGE ON Apple Product!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DOES HE KNOW HOW MANY i-Phone 4 ALREADY HAVE BEEN SOLD ALL OVER THE WORLD?????????????????

OVER 2 MILLION pcs. IN 5 COUNTRIES, INCLUDING MY COUNTRY, JAPAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BUT NONE OF THE PEOPLE WHO ALREADY BOUGHT i-Phone 4 AND SO SATISFIED ENJOY USING IT AROUND ME NEVER EVER HAVE ENCOUNTED ANY PROBLEM, OF COURSE INCLUDING RIDICULOUS SUCH ANTENNA ISSUE IN THE U.S. AT ALL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I HAVE NEVER EVER HEARD SUCH CRAZY MESS ABOUT ANTENNA ISSUE REPORTED IN FRANCE, GB, GERMANY AND OF COURSE IN JAPAN EITHER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LET THIS HALF-INTELLIGENT " SENIOR ENGINEER " EXPLAIN HOW COME THAT HAPPENS EXACTLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

THE SAME IS TRUE OF FAKE FELLOWS " CONSUMER REPORTS " THAT CLAIMS

" ONE FOUTH OF i-Phone 4 USERS ARE BEING AFFECTED BY ANTENNA FLAW "

WOWWWWWWWWWWWW

IS IT TRUE???????????????????

AS THEY CHEEKY FELLOWS MENTIONED

25 % OF AMERICAN USERS

25% OF JAPANESE USERS

25% OF BRITISH USERS

25% OF FRENCH USERS

25% OF GERMAN USERS

ARE " BEING AFFECTED " BY ANTENNA FLAW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BUT THE TRUTH IS AS " ENGADGET " REPORTS INTRODUCING MANY " ORDINARY PEOPLE'S VOICE ",

"I've got a friend who works in an apple retail store, he said he honestly has not had a single person return the phone because of the antenna."

"Agreed. My wife's phone (not an iPhone...and we're on Verizon) drops bars and almost calls when she holds it on her shoulder. I'm not barking at LG about it. My LG doesn't get any signal inside the building where I work but I'm not writing LG about it. No...I'm talking to Verizon.

I don't think Apple caught this in pre-launch testing because there wasn't anything to catch. Wasn't there an article out a while back about new sim cards ATT supplied Apple with, a new style? I'm not looking to pass blame here, but I don't think the whole story is out yet. People in other countries are not having this problem and too many people in this country have a perfectly working phone to have it be a hardware issue. It's not the phone."

"If you don't like your i-phone 4, return it and be refunded the money back. You're entirely entitled to do so by Apple's Sales Regulation within 1 month since your purchase date. And If you want you're even able to put it on Ebay and sell it As-Is, let me know. I might get in on that action. Many people are eager for that! "

"I've got a friend who works in an apple retail store, he said he honestly has not had a single person return the phone because of the antenna. He said when people ask about it he has them call ATT (611) right there and makes the bars drop to nothing and the call still goes through fine. If a recall was actually needed then wouldn't there be a lot of unhappy customers actually returning the phone. All the apple stores are still sold out even though people know about the antenna so clearly it's not a big deal. Certain news organizations and websites are just jumping onto a small issue and blowing it out of proportion."

"Precisely. And the fact that returns are almost non-existent despite weeks of solid propaganda that the iPhone is a piece of crap, sort of demonstrates the whole antenna issue is a tempest in a teapot."

HEY, GUYS, THESE ARE THE ORDINARY PEOPLE'S " NORMAL RESPONSES ", AREN'T THEY????????????????????????

ENGADGET LASTLY COCLUDED,

"This ( Antenna Issue ) affect very small No. of phones

apparently totally over blown by the tech bloggers..

engadget's review unit has never dropped a call or even dropped bars, very few in their survey of testers and units own by employees report any problems at all..

the problem seems to exist in a very small number of units and in certain networks.."

WHAT MAKES ME LAUGH ABOUT SUCH " BOGUS CONSUMER REPORTS' COUNTERFEIT REPORT ", SAYING ONE FOUTH OF USERS ARE BEING AFFECTED IS

" IF i-Phone 4 HAS FUNDAMENTALLY ANTENNA FLAW, WHAT 'S THE LOGIC OF THE REMAINING 75% OF USERS ARE " NOT AFFECTED, HUHHHHHHHHHHHH???????????"

EXPLAIN IT WHY SCIENTIFICALLY, PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Reply 31 of 69
    bought the iphone and couldnt use it because i guess im retarded and cant hold a phone correctly

back to my 3gs

this hater posted a bunch of stuff though at ihatemac.net about it
  • Reply 32 of 69
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gristan View Post

SOME ARTICLE SAYS,

"SENIOR ENGINEER WARNED STEVE JOBS ON ANTENNA ISSUE!"

WE WARN THIS " SENIOR ENGINEER " FOR FALSE ACCUSATION AND MAY FILE A LAW-SUIT AGAINST HIM FOR CIRCULATING YET-to-EXIST FLAW CHARGE ON Apple Product!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DOES HE KNOW HOW MANY i-Phone 4 ALREADY HAVE BEEN SOLD ALL OVER THE WORLD?????????????????

OVER 2 MILLION pcs. IN 5 COUNTRIES, INCLUDING MY COUNTRY, JAPAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BUT NONE OF THE PEOPLE WHO ALREADY BOUGHT i-Phone 4 AND SO SATISFIED ENJOY USING IT AROUND ME NEVER EVER HAVE ENCOUNTED ANY PROBLEM, OF COURSE INCLUDING RIDICULOUS SUCH ANTENNA ISSUE IN THE U.S. AT ALL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I HAVE NEVER EVER HEARD SUCH CRAZY MESS ABOUT ANTENNA ISSUE REPORTED IN FRANCE, GB, GERMANY AND OF COURSE IN JAPAN EITHER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LET THIS HALF-INTELLIGENT " SENIOR ENGINEER " EXPLAIN HOW COME THAT HAPPENS EXACTLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

THE SAME IS TRUE OF FAKE FELLOWS " CONSUMER REPORTS " THAT CLAIMS

" ONE FOUTH OF i-Phone 4 USERS ARE BEING AFFECTED BY ANTENNA FLAW "

WOWWWWWWWWWWWW

IS IT TRUE???????????????????

AS THEY CHEEKY FELLOWS MENTIONED

25 % OF AMERICAN USERS

25% OF JAPANESE USERS

25% OF BRITISH USERS

25% OF FRENCH USERS

25% OF GERMAN USERS

ARE " BEING AFFECTED " BY ANTENNA FLAW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BUT THE TRUTH IS AS " ENGADGET " REPORTS INTRODUCING MANY " ORDINARY PEOPLE'S VOICE ",

"I've got a friend who works in an apple retail store, he said he honestly has not had a single person return the phone because of the antenna."

"Agreed. My wife's phone (not an iPhone...and we're on Verizon) drops bars and almost calls when she holds it on her shoulder. I'm not barking at LG about it. My LG doesn't get any signal inside the building where I work but I'm not writing LG about it. No...I'm talking to Verizon.

I don't think Apple caught this in pre-launch testing because there wasn't anything to catch. Wasn't there an article out a while back about new sim cards ATT supplied Apple with, a new style? I'm not looking to pass blame here, but I don't think the whole story is out yet. People in other countries are not having this problem and too many people in this country have a perfectly working phone to have it be a hardware issue. It's not the phone."

"If you don't like your i-phone 4, return it and be refunded the money back. You're entirely entitled to do so by Apple's Sales Regulation within 1 month since your purchase date. And If you want you're even able to put it on Ebay and sell it As-Is, let me know. I might get in on that action. Many people are eager for that! "

"I've got a friend who works in an apple retail store, he said he honestly has not had a single person return the phone because of the antenna. He said when people ask about it he has them call ATT (611) right there and makes the bars drop to nothing and the call still goes through fine. If a recall was actually needed then wouldn't there be a lot of unhappy customers actually returning the phone. All the apple stores are still sold out even though people know about the antenna so clearly it's not a big deal. Certain news organizations and websites are just jumping onto a small issue and blowing it out of proportion."

"Precisely. And the fact that returns are almost non-existent despite weeks of solid propaganda that the iPhone is a piece of crap, sort of demonstrates the whole antenna issue is a tempest in a teapot."

HEY, GUYS, THESE ARE THE ORDINARY PEOPLE'S " NORMAL RESPONSES ", AREN'T THEY????????????????????????

ENGADGET LASTLY COCLUDED,

"This ( Antenna Issue ) affect very small No. of phones

apparently totally over blown by the tech bloggers..

engadget's review unit has never dropped a call or even dropped bars, very few in their survey of testers and units own by employees report any problems at all..

the problem seems to exist in a very small number of units and in certain networks.."

WHAT MAKES ME LAUGH ABOUT SUCH " BOGUS CONSUMER REPORTS' COUNTERFEIT REPORT ", SAYING ONE FOUTH OF USERS ARE BEING AFFECTED IS

" IF i-Phone 4 HAS FUNDAMENTALLY ANTENNA FLAW, WHAT 'S THE LOGIC OF THE REMAINING 75% OF USERS ARE " NOT AFFECTED, HUHHHHHHHHHHHH???????????"

EXPLAIN IT WHY SCIENTIFICALLY, PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You have to be related to brucep. Inbred son?
  • Reply 33 of 69
    desarcdesarc Posts: 642member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by brucep View Post

i getting so sick with all the piling on apple

a famous car company sells defective cars for 3 yrs . [etc etc etc] peace

no car company announced that their new brakes were an ingenious new method that nobody else dared to invent before having them fail. Steve got up on stage and said how brilliant this new antenna solution was. [then quietly said we designed a new bumper that looks great on the phone - you can hear the reservation in his voice - almost like he knew he was trying to sell a quiet fix for more $$$]

the bigger the claims of one's success, the bigger the outcries at your failure.
  • Reply 34 of 69
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lilgto64 View Post

that *sounds* like they intend to electrically isolate the exterior antenna from the internal connector - which sounds to me like you would be permanently limiting the antenna's range until a new and improved internal only solution is devised.

If am reading that right (and the report is correct) then it sounds like the fix for sometimes I get lousy reception is to always get lousy reception.

Grip of death aside...

... instead of better reception because of the iP4 antenna, you will, likely, get reception comparable to other phones (with internal antennas) like the 3GS.

2 steps forward, 1 step back,

• Reply 35 of 69
    I think exactly the same.

I LOVE EVERYTHING APPLE.
  • Reply 36 of 69
    kedakeda Posts: 722member
    So many people here (and our "lovely" new visitors) have really gone off the deep end with this thing.

Anyhow, my fingers are crossed that Apple announces a fix tomorrow.

I'm trying to picture how an Apple Store employee would be able to reliably open an iPhone, modify it, and not leave a trace. My guess is that an in-store fix would have to be externally applied. I'm no engineer, but I picture something akin to a clear vinyl wrap being added to the metal band.

A manufacturing modification would certainly address this internally, which is what I hope Apple announces. I wonder how long it will take for a possibly revamped ip4 to reach market?
  • Reply 37 of 69
    vince_jtvince_jt Posts: 25member
    You're all idiots.

Just don't hold it in that way.

Non issue.

Non issue.

Non issue.

Nah nanananah

• Reply 38 of 69
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr Underhill View Post

If this rumour has truth to it and Apple do a hardware fix, then the minute someone drops a call or makes a bar fall away it'll start all over again.

We see this with cars. When a customer has a squeak on the brakes, you can change the pads, discs, completely overhaul the brakes. But the moment the squeak comes back the paranoia starts.

They ultimately are never happy until they sell it on or swap the vehicle. To some, iPhones, like cars stir pretty emotive responses. It's quite a phenomena and fascinating to observe. I love coming here to watch it all unfold.

I'll say it again, Apple need a new product launch and they need it soon. New Apple TV anyone?

Wouldn't that be fantastic?! It would def divert attention.
  • Reply 39 of 69
    minderbinderminderbinder Posts: 1,703member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Damn_Its_Hot View Post

Look at the teardown and it is fairly easy to imagine an isolation block between the 2 antennas that get bridged.

You don't have to see a teardown to see where the problem is. The outside of the unit has two pieces of bare metal. Touching both with your hand shorts them out and causes the loss of signal.

Nothing on the INSIDE of the unit is going to ever stop the possibility of those two pieces of bare metal getting shorted. They either need to...

1 Cover the antenna (like with a case)

2 Coat the metal antenna with some sort of coating that is transparent to radio waves but not conductive with skin

3 Change something inside the design that makes shorting it not make a difference

With the delays in shipping product and press conference tomorrow, it sure looks like Apple is planning on doing something, and a hardware tweak seems the most likely.
  • Reply 40 of 69
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quevar View Post

The stock was way down today, then recovered to more or less match the market.

If Apple fully addresses the issues head-on, and puts this behind them, the stock will likely rise in anticipation of Tuesday's earnings call.

The market prefers bad news (layoffs, cutbacks, recalls, etc.) to uncertainty!