NYT: iPhone 4 antenna problems a result of 'weakness' in software

12345679»

Comments

• Reply 161 of 166
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Foo2 View Post

The iPhone 4 antenna is only best in class when it's not being held "wrong"--the reviewers have made that clear, but fanboys/shareholders have a hard time reading that text.

Perhaps more people are dissatisfied with the iPhone 4 antenna than all E71s sold.

All of the remaining iPhone 4 customers may have the antenna problem but just don't know it yet, or they will always keep the phone in an extra-cost case and will never know.

And your evidence for those claims is.....????

Quote:
    Originally Posted by RBR View Post

No, not at all. One should remember the nature of customer satisfaction surveys. Although Apple have a history of higher than industry standard customer satisfaction, that is not always saying much. (Have you ever dealt with Dell? May Michael Dell rot in hell.)

Even with an overall higher than industry standard for general satisfaction, Apple have nevertheless failed to deal with a number of problems on systems. I, for one, would not be encouraged that Apple would do whatever is necessary to "make right' an inherent hardware problem with an iPhone I had purchased. If there is a sample defect, and they are able to document it, I would have greater confidence in Apple taking care of the matter.

I will concede that Apple has gotten better about making right isolated problems. My experience with other systems has been that you are pretty much on your own.

What does any of that have to do with the claim that Apple has a widespread history of not responding to hardware problems? No one ever said they were perfect. But there is no such history - they're better than anyone else in the industry.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by LewysBlackmore View Post

Magically trollicious. Seriously. I am at a loss to explain why a person, who one assumes has much better things to do with the 60 or 70 odd years of existence available to them would waste such time and effort being a detractor in a site that obviously is a place where those who admire and use the devices in question come together.

That's the real mystery.

I can understand someone who uses a product and likes it wanting to talk about it - maybe even defend it from unfair accusations. It's perfectly normal for a person who likes a product to want other people to try the same product to see if they like it.

But there's something fundamentally unhealthy about someone who spends their time badmouthing a product that they don't use, have never used, and claim that they never would even consider using. To spread lies and FUD about a product one has no interest in or experience with. To call those who like the product names. There's something tragic about that - and you really have to feel sorry for someone whose life is so worthless that they get their thrills from trying to shoot holes in people who do enjoy something.

For the record, I don't spend my time on Microsoft or Android or BMW forums complaining about products that don't suit my needs. What motivates these people to spend so much time here?

{In the case of the Flash disputes, some of them were clearly Adobe shills. I suspect that one or two of the loudest ones here are Android shills, but the majority appear to be regulars who spend all their time attacking Apple no matter what they do}
  • Reply 162 of 166
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RBR View Post

That's sound advice.

Apple has a very poor record of resolving hardware problems for customers. They may (or may not) resolve the hardware problem with subsequent production, but are extremely unlikely to offer a fix (free or otherwise) to customers with a hardware problem that is widespread.

I was not aware of this history. I am aware of many firmware issues they have been able to resolve with an update and a few that took multiple updates.

I can actually only think of 2 examples (I'm sure there are more examples) where they shipped something with a hardware issue but pretty sure both of those they later did free repair of the issue. In fact I think the NVida issue with MBPros they actually went ahead & took care of themselves even though NVidia took several months still to admit there was a real issue.

People need to remember that the news media don't know everything. A lot of people speculate or throw out misleading information. In general people need to remember that if they are a writer for a media outlet they probably aren't an expert in the area they are writing on. Spending a few days talking with experts doesn't make you an expert and many of these people shift too easily from reporting mode to authoritative mode.

Just think about how testing was being done early on to verify the iPhone issue, none of them had basic controls in place. You can't do scientific testing without some basic controls in place, otherwise your data is horribly skewed.

Lets just wait and see what Apple reports, give them a fighting chance. Let them put their foot in their mouth first before you go claiming they are going to.
  • Reply 163 of 166
    rbrrbr Posts: 631member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

What does any of that have to do with the claim that Apple has a widespread history of not responding to hardware problems? No one ever said they were perfect. But there is no such history - they're better than anyone else in the industry.

You have the "widespread" misplaced. The problems to which I referred were products which had a widespread hardware problem which were not addressed as opposed to a product which had a sample defect. That is not the same as a widespread history of....
  • Reply 164 of 166
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Look buster? Most likely the first usage of that colloquial euphemism around these parts in quite a spell.

Buster? I haven't heard that since my mother last scolded me about 30 years ago.
  • Reply 165 of 166
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by spliff monkey View Post

Buster? I haven't heard that since my mother last scolded me about 30 years ago.

clearly, ya'll haven't been watching enough arrested development!!

Quote:

Tobias Fünke: No, no, it's pronounced a-nal-ra-pist.

Buster: It wasn't really the pronunciation that bothered me.

• Reply 166 of 166
    You should all watch this video about the iPhone. its short, on point and puts a lot of things in perspective: http://vimeo.com/13406519