Survey finds few in U.S. understand science

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 23
    rick1138rick1138 Posts: 938member
    [quote]

Alien craft ... have zero supporting evidence made from flimsy observations...

...Nothing strange about a UFO. The strange part is associating it as an extraterrestrial (alien) object.

<hr></blockquote>

Actually a number of UFO sightings are very strange,and there are a few scientists,most notably Bernard Haisch and Michio Kaku,who take them seriously.
  • Reply 22 of 23
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    I think the difference here is that there are basically two types of scientists/engineers.

The more mathematic: Something is incorrect until proven

The more open-minded: Some is uncertain until substantially researched.

Personally, I am in the second category. I know people who fit into the first, and arguing with them is like talking to a wall, because they require "proof." In my opinion these people are ridiculously foolish, but they could say the same about me. In general, they're arrogant scientist types, wheras engineers tend to be a bit more open minded about phenomena.

UFO's and psychic phenomena either fit into the "bullshit" or "probably real" areas depending on what kind of person you are. Remember also that UFO stands for Unidentified Flying Object, which is about as true of an observation as one can be.

Lastly, I meant "bonk." "Bunk" implies frivolity, which the questions aren't. Misleading they are.
  • Reply 23 of 23
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    [quote]Originally posted by Splinemodel:

<strong>

UFO's and psychic phenomena either fit into the "bullshit" or "probably real" areas depending on what kind of person you are.

</strong><hr></blockquote>

What about "not likely"?

[quote]

<strong>Remember also that UFO stands for Unidentified Flying Object, which is about as true of an observation as one can be.

</strong><hr></blockquote>

If that is what you think UFO´s are then they are "Proven within our understanding of english" and is a linguistic question