Apple: "international numbers are absolutely killer"

Posted:
in AAPL Investors edited January 2014
While noting domestic growth in the US that has consistently outpaced the overall industry for the last 17 consecutive quarters, Apple drew specific attention to even more dramatic growth in sales internationally in its June quarter conference call.

Apple's chief operations officer Tim Cook said Apple's "international numbers are absolutely killer," citing particularly strong growth in Asia, Europe and Japan. Cook noted 144% growth in China and near double growth in Hong Kong sales.

Even in Spain, where the economy has been in the doldrums of recession, Cook noted 59% growth in Mac sales. Apple will also be expanding its Spanish iPhone mobile partner from a single exclusive provider to three alternative carriers.

In its last conference call, Apple executives had pointed to a stronger US dollar as one of five factors that could depress profit margins. However, the company said margins remained higher at 39.1% due to lower transition costs than expected and favorable adjustments. Increased foreign sales also resulted in a lower tax rate.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    If Apple wants serious growth Internationally they need more international stores. In particular two or three stores in the countries they currently have no stores. The fact that they have no store in Dublin is telling, for example.
  • Reply 2 of 15
    daveswdavesw Posts: 406member
    Today is a SAD SAD DAY for all the Apple-Haters

• Reply 3 of 15
    davebarnesdavebarnes Posts: 366member
    1. While the USA and most of Europe are feeling the pain of economic recessions, the rest of the world is not.

2. All over the world, on average, incomes are rising. More and more people move into both the middle and upper class every day. Sure, the average income in many countries is low, but if India has 1% of its population move into the middle class, how many people is that?

3. On average, real per-capita income in the USA has doubled every 50 years. It is doing way better than that in many countries (e.g., "worst" Korea, Japan, China, Brazil, etc.)

Bottom line, Apple stuff is more affordable to more people every day.
  • Reply 4 of 15
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post

1. While the USA and most of Europe are feeling the pain of economic recessions, the rest of the world is not.

2. All over the world, on average, incomes are rising. More and more people move into both the middle and upper class every day. Sure, the average income in many countries is low, but if India has 1% of its population move into the middle class, how many people is that?

3. On average, real per-capita income in the USA has doubled every 50 years. It is doing way better than that in many countries (e.g., "worst" Korea, Japan, China, Brazil, etc.)

Bottom line, Apple stuff is more affordable to more people every day.

Very true. The Mac is a huge sleeper growth opportunity in that regard.

However, in the short term, the appreciating dollar could put a drag on EPS growth, given the increasing role of non-US profits.
  • Reply 5 of 15
    sinceresincere Posts: 42member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

While noting domestic growth in the US that has consistently outpaced the overall industry for the last 17 consecutive quarters, Apple drew specific attention to even more dramatic growth in sales internationally in its June quarter conference call.

Apple's chief operations officer Tim Cook said Apple's "international numbers are absolutely killer," citing particularly strong growth in Asia, Europe and Japan. Cook noted 144% growth in China and near double growth in Hong Kong sales.

Even in Spain, where the economy has been in the doldrums of recession, Cook noted 59% growth in Mac sales. Apple will also be expanding its Spanish iPhone mobile partner from a single exclusive provider to three alternative carriers.

In its last conference call, Apple executives had pointed to a stronger US dollar as one of five factors that could depress profit margins. However, the company said margins remained higher at 39.1% due to lower transition costs than expected and favorable adjustments. Increased foreign sales also resulted in a lower tax rate.

Yes international growth is smoking gheezzz Im from the U.S. but being here in Manila Im seeing this as well...One problem I do see though is in its Apple "official reseller" stores here is the lack of salesman knowledge as well as a lack of customer service at a few stores here..its damn right insane to have to walk up to someone sometimes and ask do you work here? because they were just standing there gazing off into the horizon....But this is not the case in "all" stores
  • Reply 6 of 15
    anakin1992anakin1992 Posts: 283member
    Quote:

in the last quarter report, tim cook mentioned that the first half of fyear of 2010, it made $1.3 billion revenue in china and up almost 200% from the last year period. now he is saying that this quarter is about 144%. if the trend continues, i would not surprise to see $2 billion revenue in china this year. i don't think this number includes hong kong and taiwan. if apple's profit margin is 40%, apple can make 800 millions in china annually. also, china's sale is a third of the whole asia sale.

it would be great if we know the sale distribution among mac, iphone, ipad, etc.
  • Reply 7 of 15
    phormicphormic Posts: 9member
    Australia was fortunate enough to escape the global recession relatively unscathed and so Apple's growth here has been monstrous. The iPhone's market share here is one of the highest (if not the highest) in the world. They're building stores here as quickly as they can. Two more in the last quarter and two more in the next quarter.
  • Reply 8 of 15
    sacto joesacto joe Posts: 895member
    Quote:

Things that make you go "hmmmm".

I recently saw a listing of the top selling computer companies in the U.S. and worldwide. Apple was number 4 on the US list, but didn't make the "cut" of the top six in the worldwide list.

It's also interesting to note that netbooks were included as computer sales, but iPads were not. What would be really interesting is to do the numbers where the iPads are included as computers, or the netbooks are excluded, and then see how Apple ranks.

But in any case, there's a huge worldwide market share available to capture, and it's growing all the time. Another reason to expect Apple to keep growing by leaps and bounds for years to come.
  • Reply 9 of 15
    bartbuzzbartbuzz Posts: 131member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sacto Joe View Post

Things that make you go "hmmmm".

I recently saw a listing of the top selling computer companies in the U.S. and worldwide. Apple was number 4 on the US list, but didn't make the "cut" of the top six in the worldwide list.

It's also interesting to note that netbooks were included as computer sales, but iPads were not. What would be really interesting is to do the numbers where the iPads are included as computers, or the netbooks are excluded, and then see how Apple ranks.

But in any case, there's a huge worldwide market share available to capture, and it's growing all the time. Another reason to expect Apple to keep growing by leaps and bounds for years to come.

People who do't get it usually go "hmmmm."
  • Reply 10 of 15
    philipmphilipm Posts: 240member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Phormic View Post

Australia was fortunate enough to escape the global recession relatively unscathed and so Apple's growth here has been monstrous. The iPhone's market share here is one of the highest (if not the highest) in the world. They're building stores here as quickly as they can. Two more in the last quarter and two more in the next quarter.

And iPhone 4 hasn't even appeared here yet. Apple is doing what they should have been doing when they lost it to IBM and then Microsoft. Let's hope they don't forget why they are needed. I was helping someone with a Windows version of PowerPoint, an absolutely dire interface.
  • Reply 11 of 15
    eye forgeteye forget Posts: 154member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland;

If Apple wants serious growth Internationally they need more international stores. In particular two or three stores in the countries they currently have no stores. The fact that they have no store in Dublin is telling, for example.

The retail stores account for around 20% of Apple sales. A pretty nice number but certainly not the key sales outlet. I suspect most sales are done on the web.

What Europe needs is viable Internet based commerce. With the exception of Apple, I can't think of a single buying experience from a European on-line retailer that has been even remotely satisfactory. In the last 2 months alone, an attempted purchase of a ceramic tile in the UK where it took 6 weeks to determine how to ship to the USA (at a cost that resulted in a canceled transaction), eBay Germany where it took over a month to determine shipping costs to the German part of Switzerland and we're still waiting for funds transfer instructions as they don't take credit cards, in Sweden this week we tried to order online but the Swedes require a Swedish social security number to charge to a Mastercard.

Add to all of this the fact many stores on the continent have rather comfortable working habits as they close for hours during lunch, one of the few times mass transit dependent consumers have time to shop.

It's a comfortable life but I think you have to accept the consequences as well. Apple allocates store capital based on financial returns. I can't imagine a European sales outlet being competitive with other areas in the world.
  • Reply 12 of 15
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Very true. The Mac is a huge sleeper growth opportunity in that regard.

However, in the short term, the appreciating dollar could put a drag on EPS growth, given the increasing role of non-US profits.

Much of AAPLs sales came when the dollar was much higher than 1.28 it is today, and there are a considerable number of analysts who still predict 1.15 by the end of the year. It's not that the dollar is strong ... it isn't, but whether the Euro is stronger ... and that jury is still out.
  • Reply 13 of 15
    sacto joesacto joe Posts: 895member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BartBuzz View Post

People who do't get it usually go "hmmmm."

Evidently not all, since I get it. I can also spell.
  • Reply 14 of 15
    benicebenice Posts: 382member
    This has been obvious on the streets for a while. Like other commenters have said there is Apple stuff everywhere. In places like cafe's there's always a good number of macbooks around (looks like much more than a 10% share) and when you look at phones at work and on the street there is a huge number of people of all ages toting iphones.

I think I saw something like 80% of sales are happening outside the US so it's not surprising the numbers are looking good.
  • Reply 15 of 15
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

after you recent apple bashing i am shocked you would show your face here.

thick skin i guess