Apple plots new strategy to target small businesses through retail stores

Comments

• Reply 41 of 75
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Apple needs to help software developers migrate specialized software to really make large in-roads in business and not rely on VMs

It is sort of a chicken and egg situation. We debated for days the shortcomings of porting software rather than using xcode. The developers of specialized Windows software really don't want to dilute their development resources in learning a new platform or complicate their support services for a few Mac users when everything is running smoothly with Windows. If the Mac was a significant player in business applications they might consider it, but why waste the resources unless it is going to be a viable market.

I strongly believe that businesses that are suitable for Mac integration have already done it and the ones that are dependent on specialized Windows applications will not and should not switch.
  • Reply 42 of 75
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,780member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

It is sort of a chicken and egg situation. We debated for days the shortcomings of porting software rather than using xcode. The developers of specialized Windows software really don't want to dilute their development resources in learning a new platform or complicate their support services for a few Mac users when everything is running smoothly with Windows. If the Mac was a significant player in business applications they might consider it, but why waste the resources unless it is going to be a viable market.

I strongly believe that businesses that are suitable for Mac integration have already done it and the ones that are dependent on specialized Windows applications will not and should not switch.

Yep I know all that for sure, I used to be CEO of a software company. I was trying to say was, not well obviously lol, that some far easier way need be found or even Apple themselves should be selecting key products and providing funds and expertise to enable the migration. Thus breaking the chicken and egg cycle.

I don't agree with the latter point though. At the end of the day I see no reason there should be any one who should not switch ... assuming the software is available.
  • Reply 43 of 75
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rtm135 View Post

Let's take your food concept a step further. If Apple released their own version of the HP TouchSmart line (aka touch screen iMac) I envision a scenario where you're at a restaurant with a touch screen at your table which allows you to order and pay for your food using a MTO style setup like Sheetz/Wawa. All the server would have to do is bring out the food and address customer concerns. All of your account info would be stored on the server so payment would be as simple as entering a username and password, just like online shopping.

A $499 iPad would be excellent for that.

The iPad could display appetizing pictures of the menu items, allow search, scroll drill-down. Entry of the order. Then the kids could play a game (quietly) while awaiting their order. Eat, Pay the bill and leave-- satisfied.

I saw a story where an Asian restaurant (Japan, I think) has one iPad per table (un-tethered).

Couldn't find a link, but here are somme others:

http://www.dailymirror.lk/index.php/...s-on-ipad.html

http://chijs.posterous.com/yakiniku-...-hongmei-lu-us
  • Reply 44 of 75
    allblueallblue Posts: 393member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bettieblue View Post

Small business customers use so many Windows programs that work for their industry that have NO OS X version, or alternative. Even when there is a Mac version, it usually sucks. Example, Quickbooks, the Mac version is missing so many features its not even funny. Quickbooks alone is probably used by 60% of small buisnesses or more.

You make a valid point, and it highlights a fascinating paradox. In what is one the fastest moving commercial areas - IT - one of the biggest reasons behind Microsoft maintaining its predominance in the OS market is inertia. (The other main reason is the razor thin margin cost of a bog standard commodity box compared to a Mini, but as that difference is about the cost of one IT call-out fee that obstacle could be marketed away.)

Apple are clearly creeping towards the business market, but are taking it one tiny step at a time. If they were about to launch a full out assault they have enough cash to buy the companies that produce these definitive business apps and get them to produce a decent Mac version.
  • Reply 45 of 75
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

I agree, but...

XCode and the Mac are becoming more attractive to developers because of the iOS devices:

-- Augment their day-job income by developing iOS apps

-- Support or enhance their Win apps by offering iOS clients or interfaces

-- Use the cloud or VPN to back-end support IOS apps

• Reply 46 of 75
    This is another half hearted attempt by apple to woo businesses. If you read John Martellero at MacObserver, apple will never fully woo businesses. Big business restricts apple's freedom. Your local network of mac consultants is your only bet. I've seen some consultants with associations with the independant store. Although the indie stores are better suited to handle business users, they are going out of business! Apple should put priority to certain sectors of business like they do with graphics and media. I've seen macs at hair salons. Build complete mac solutions for that industry. No need to dominate general business computing like MS.

As an aside, just the other day I walked into my local Home Hardware store and found they were using macs for the POS. It must have been pre-OS9, as they were using the very old beige apple keyboard and mouse! WOW!!! How does this store survive year after year is unknown, as it is usually empty and located very near a Home Depot. I saw 3 employees. A store like this could use some modern mac solutions.

As someone who has business aspirations, I have looked into mac solutions for a retail store. The apple site is very useful. But it was the indie store that brought to my attention a local software solution and consultants.
  • Reply 47 of 75
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kung Fu Guy View Post

This is another half hearted attempt by apple to woo businesses. If you read John Martellero at MacObserver, apple will never fully woo businesses. Big business restricts apple's freedom. Your local network of mac consultants is your only bet. I've seen some consultants with associations with the independant store. Although the indie stores are better suited to handle business users, they are going out of business! Apple should put priority to certain sectors of business like they do with graphics and media. I've seen macs at hair salons. Build complete mac solutions for that industry. No need to dominate general business computing like MS.

As an aside, just the other day I walked into my local Home Hardware store and found they were using macs for the POS. It must have been pre-OS9, as they were using the very old beige apple keyboard and mouse! WOW!!! How does this store survive year after year is unknown, as it is usually empty and located very near a Home Depot. I saw 3 employees. A store like this could use some modern mac solutions.

As someone who has business aspirations, I have looked into mac solutions for a retail store. The apple site is very useful. But it was the indie store that brought to my attention a local software solution and consultants.

If Apple makes a half-hearted attempt at this, as you say-- it will fail.

But if they do this properly, starting at the Apple Senior VP level on down it could very well succeed.

For example, the nay-sayers were crying "Fail" when Apple entered the retail market with stick and stucco stores. They are a roaring success. Why? Because Apple did it right-- they decided what the wanted to do, then they went out and bought talent, with a track record, to make it happen. Then they supported the hell out of it.

• Reply 48 of 75
    porchlandporchland Posts: 478member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cgc0202 View Post

It is not just technology that is needed to be addressed. They also need people who understand the needs of specific sectors -- retail, service, health (this is a big area with various categories, e.g., hospitals, clinics, health care agencies, doctors, etc.), biotech, and many others. Each has specific business needs that must be addressed in a more holistic manner.

Law firms too. None of the industry-standard accounting applications are available for Mac. Take it to the cloud, Steve!
  • Reply 49 of 75
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cvaldes1831 View Post

T

Snow Leopard Server has a lot of small business server functionality: address book server, calendar server, mail server, web server (basically like Microsoft Exchange), instant message serving, as well as tools for creating podcasts and wikis. Basic server functionality like web site hosting, file sharing, and printer serving are all there too. Naturally, you can use all, some or none of these features.

There are many industry specific applications these days for OS X as well as general purpose business software (like QuickBooks), and with the Mac's ability to run Windows via Parallels, etc., the barriers to using Mac in a small office environment are falling.

As noted by others above, many smaller businesses like medical groups, real estate offices, etc. are moving to the Mac platform.

There is a shortage of quality business software for the Mac. MS Office/iWorks are OK but more good accounting/ CRM / inventory software is what is needed. One of the things that have been problematic for us is sync issues with OSX calendaring and contacts. It always seems to be poorly implemented and invariably troublesome whatever software we use or try. There are no really good Mac-like contact management systems. I am not sure about project management software.

There are a couple of accountancy titles but their UI's suck.
  • Reply 50 of 75
    shawnbshawnb Posts: 155member
    It may work one day... it wouldn't hurt for Apple to lay the foundation and at least start building some small business capacity.

But for the present, I only see it working with small businesses with non-tight budgets and consumer-ish computer needs (web surfing and basic e-mail).

For true "small business" computer needs, it is hard to make the switch. I've tried it. Mac may be a better platform, but most of its "business" software is worse than Windows. Both Office and Quickbooks are terrible on the Mac. Apple's own software is slick but lacks a lot of advanced features and doesn't sync too well with its Windows counterparts. There is too much "our way is better" mentality and not enough focus on interoperability. Yes, in a perfect world, everyone would ditch all of their PC's and use Macs. In reality, we need them to work together, and this often is more painful than all of the Mac "advantages" combined.

I'd love to dump my PCs and go all-Mac, but I can't. I still have to run some software on PCs. Virtualization works, but still has its shortcomings. Performance issues aside, supporting two users on Mac/Vmware/Win is as much effort as supporting six users on independent platforms.

Mac doesn't have a server to fit my needs. Expandable storage/backup and painless Win/Mac file sharing is more important to me than calendar, wiki/web, and a 1997 e-mail server; and a HP/WHS solution fit the bill for half the cost and plays well with my Macs.

Mac business software and/or online business cloud software are going to have to drastically improve before the Mac can make serious inroads into the "small business" market. In the interim, Win7 has turned out to be a halfway decent product, and is less headache than trying to run Win+Mac. I mostly work on a 3-year old Dell laptop running Win7 instead of my much newer Macs, which have largely been relegated to my personal use.

Maybe the Apple small business initiatives will help me figure out how to get more business usage out of the Macs...
  • Reply 51 of 75
    bettiebluebettieblue Posts: 294member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bageljoey View Post

Clearly you have a point of view and are trying hard to fit the facts to match it! You cannot hide the fact that many small businesses have already switched and more are switching all the time. Sure, there are holes in the available software for business, and some businesses have no interest in change. That being said, however, there is no denying that I am seeing more and more offices using Macs every year. 10 years ago, it was rare. 5 years ago it was uncommon. This year it is hardly noteworthy.

Yes! That reason is called momentum. But, this is not a frictionless world, and momentum only lasts so long... MS has definately list it in the eyes of many...

I have a doctor friend, who is a total Mac fanboy if there was ever one. He has money to blow so he owns it all. He recently switched (last year) to Mac practice. He got rid of a old network of Windows XP machines that were just tired and under powered, plus an old Windows 2003 server. He spent a nice chunk of money on the hardware and software.

However he still has a few PC's because there are a few programs he must run to be able to work with many of the hospitals in the area. He has one PC dedicated to Quickbooks so his accountant can logmein into it. Every Mac is running Parrallels because of certain Windows only apps he needs.

After using Mac Practice for about 8 months he told me there are holes in the program that Windows only programs do a much better job. He had to replace his scanners use for scanning in medical documents and insurance cards, because the ones he had, only came with Windows software. All of his employees HATE the Mac version of Office.

While he loves to say that his employees dont get malware like XP did, Windows 7 does not either, and will run all of those Windows apps as well.

The sheer cost to him was a massive mistake. In then end he is using less capable software, had to purchase more expensive hardware, or hardware not needed (scanners), and he still has to run Windows all over the place for a few apps. But hey he has nice white/metal computers with Apples on them, to match his flashy office.
  • Reply 52 of 75
    bettiebluebettieblue Posts: 294member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shawnb View Post

It may work one day... it wouldn't hurt for Apple to lay the foundation and at least start building some small business capacity.

But for the present, I only see it working with small businesses with non-tight budgets and consumer-ish computer needs (web surfing and basic e-mail).

For true "small business" computer needs, it is hard to make the switch. I've tried it. Mac may be a better platform, but most of its "business" software is worse than Windows. Both Office and Quickbooks are terrible on the Mac. Apple's own software is slick but lacks a lot of advanced features and doesn't sync too well with its Windows counterparts. There is too much "our way is better" mentality and not enough focus on interoperability. Yes, in a perfect world, everyone would ditch all of their PC's and use Macs. In reality, we need them to work together, and this often is more painful than all of the Mac "advantages" combined.

I'd love to dump my PCs and go all-Mac, but I can't. I still have to run some software on PCs. Virtualization works, but still has its shortcomings. Performance issues aside, supporting two users on Mac/Vmware/Win is as much effort as supporting six users on independent platforms.

Mac doesn't have a server to fit my needs. Expandable storage/backup and painless Win/Mac file sharing is more important to me than calendar, wiki/web, and a 1997 e-mail server; and a HP/WHS solution fit the bill for half the cost and plays well with my Macs.

Mac business software and/or online business cloud software are going to have to drastically improve before the Mac can make serious inroads into the "small business" market. In the interim, Win7 has turned out to be a halfway decent product, and is less headache than trying to run Win+Mac. I mostly work on a 3-year old Dell laptop running Win7 instead of my much newer Macs, which have largely been relegated to my personal use.

Maybe the Apple small business initiatives will help me figure out how to get more business usage out of the Macs...

I do small business support and you have described exactly the road blocks I have seen. Another example of software that excels on the PC, Dragon Naturally speeking. Lawyers and doctors use this all of the time, there is nothing on the Mac side that is close. Its these kinds of applications that are used daily by lots of people that make me laugh, when people say the iPad will replace computers.
  • Reply 53 of 75
    bigdaddypbigdaddyp Posts: 811member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

I can see them making small gains in the server business, but the reality is that current Macs can't seem to compete with PC's on pricing and MS Office integration, which happens to be the industry standard for office application suites.

If a small business can equip their office with 4 reliable PCs running Win7/MS Office2010, along with a suitably powerful server for less than US 2500.00, why would they spend considerably more just to have Apple wares?

It's probably going to be a tough sell...

You make a very good point. The big gotcha is in the cost of software liscense that ms nails you with. If you take the 4 pc's in your examample and run them 24 hours a day across 3 shifts ms says you need 12 licenses for those seats not 4, at least as far as office is concerned. If you add more email adresses the fees to go beyond the basic package adds up quick.

So I guesss Apple gets you on the upfront costs and Ms nails you on a long term basis with recuring and increasing liscense fees.
  • Reply 54 of 75
    cgc0202cgc0202 Posts: 624member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BertP View Post

Good post. I would add "how to leverage the iPad in the medical field".

I have read internet resources where some physicians with some experience dealing with automation, who are spearheading the application of the iPad in the medical field. I was fascinated with the Citrix effort, but some of the ideas presented are going beyond the usual server-iPad ecosystem,

If only I know some really good developers there are some projects myself that I would have wanted to collaborate with,

CGC
  • Reply 55 of 75
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Excellent points!

The process of cultivating, selling and supporting businesses (especially small businesses) is very different than selling computers for home/personal/school use and selling consumer electronics,

Apple could address this by hiring and deploying a direct sales force-- but this would take several years to put in place and is antithetical to Apple's culture.

I suspect that Apple would achieve better results by:

-- establishing a senior VP of business/enterprise* marketing, sales, support

-- filling that job with an individual with a proven track record and reputation

-- having a minimal headquarters staff-- to deal with the front line (see below) and to vie for resources with other corporate entities

-- Apple's front line Business Reps would be at least 2 (preferably more) employees in each store- with appropriate training or background in small business marketing, sales and support

-- these people will vie for retail resources (training facilities, repairs, etc.) and

-- be the public "Apple Business" face to the local and surrounding communities.

The real front line, as you mentioned above is existing businesses focused on Apple product and services.

* I use business/enterprise because many large corporations have smaller divisions or offices that operate semi-autonomously as small businesses.

The local Apple Store Business reps need to cultivate these 3rd parties-- inform them what Apple is planning/doing (their plans, gasp), send referrals their way, and support them.

One simple way for Apple to find referrals (to give to these third parties) is:

Every retail rep is instructed to ask the customer as part every iPhone, iPad, Mac sale (except first-day-of-issue crowds);

Apple Retail Rep: "What do you plan to do with your new iPhone, iPad or Mac?

Customer: "I am going to.........

Apple Retail Rep: "Do you plan on using if in your job, company, business.......

Based on the customer response:

Apple Retail Rep: "Apple has set up a new organization to better service businesses. If you like, I can have a rep call you to determine your special needs and what Apple can do to satisfy them..."

Then follow up, Dammit! If you cultivate an individual within a business, you can often extend that to the business, itself. You have an inside salesman-- one of the best resources in the world.

The Apple Business Reps should Publicly reward the Apple Retail Reps with the most business referrals.

The "inside salesmen" are rewarded by supporting them to the hilt, so they, and Apple are successful within the business.

The Apple Business reps should be making cold calls on local business and referring them to 3rd parties, where applicable-- at the very least they will identify potential Apple business customers.

That'd be pretty good for starters!

Indeed, You outlined some good possibilities that may be refined from actual experience as the relationship is going along.

It will require a change in "Apple thinking" also, that they could benefit from outside collaborators and innovations. However, there is already a precedent on this -- the evolution of the Apps Store. It is the collective efforts of all those individual developers (both big and small, i.e., "individual developer companies" more often) working on their own, shaping their own apps -- all part of the Apps Store/iOS/Aplle ecosystem -- that made the Apps Store the success it has become and as a result also the iOS mobile computing allure and success, and ultimately what made Apple the biggest technology company in terms of market capitalization.

In what we are talking about now, just substitute 3rd party Apple-centric service centers for "developers" and you have the general foundation of Apple's entry to small business enterprise.

I just remembered another innovation used by Apple in universities -- the use of students as "Apple representatives" to evangelize for Apple in their campus. I think they receive some for of compensation through commission or something. There is no reason why such students (especially the most successful ones) can be trained further through the "Apple University"*** to become the "business front" of Apple in communities where there are no Apple Stores. This initiative, using "Apple representatives" may tie in with either local "Best Buy" or "Walmart" (which are more ubiquitous) that have the "A Store in Store" Apple Store, if it were possible or perhaps a mechanism that would be concocted by very talented and resourceful "Apple representatives".

Obviously, these far flung initiatives, in areas beyond the reach of Apple Stores must be closely supervised by regional or main offices to ensure quality service. The experience gained by these "Apple representatives" may even spawn eventually local 3rd party Apple-centric service businesses.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

If Apple makes a half-hearted attempt at this, as you say-- it will fail.

But if they do this properly, starting at the Apple Senior VP level on down it could very well succeed.

For example, the nay-sayers were crying "Fail" when Apple entered the retail market with stick and stucco stores. They are a roaring success. Why? Because Apple did it right-- they decided what the wanted to do, then they went out and bought talent, with a track record, to make it happen. Then they supported the hell out of it.

I agree. Starting is always a big hurdle, many will be naysayers. However, once it succeeds, others consider it as if it is simply "polishing" of a prior business practice.

CGC

N.B.

***I am curious whatever happened to the Yale business dean??? who was appointed to spearhead the "Apple University" initiative.
  • Reply 56 of 75
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Porchland View Post

Law firms too. None of the industry-standard accounting applications are available for Mac. Take it to the cloud, Steve!

A very lucrative field filled with opportunities -- law firms and other legal agencies. I think there are some accounting applications for Macs or similar programs (debits/credits and billings) that may be developed specifically for specific business sectors.

This is where Apple could help create a resource database where it could provide a information of what is already available. This database will be useufl for the respective business sectors and will also help developers gain insight on what is already available and improve them, or customize existing softwares to other business sectors where there is a dearth of applicable softwares.

CGC
  • Reply 57 of 75
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NomadMac View Post

I have been a Mac consultant since 1993. I don't think I'm looking through the wrong end of the telescope. I certainly do have an idea of the opportunity that exists.

I was referring to Apple's retail track record of making initiatives like this that go nowhere.

Consider MacWorld. Apple at one time brought servers and engineers that I could talk with. They stopped that years ago and went pure consumer. Now they want to attract businesses...again.

Apple sponsors an organization called Apple Consultants Network. Ever hear of it? Probably not. Neither have most people. Another of Apple's well-kept secrets. ;-)

The late 1980's to 1990's were a dark period for Apple. After Steve Jobs losts the power play, the company was headed by CEOs that were more focused on the bottom line rather than the passion to excel.

Even when Steve Jobs came back in mid 1997, it was not a certainty that Apple would survive. Steve Jobs realize that Apple had to prioritize. It simplified its product line, and closed some. It sold some of its technologies. SJ even made a "devil's pact" with Bill Gates in the effort to keep Apple afloat. The 1999 stock market downturn and tech bubble burst was another albatross for the struggling Apple, in spite of the success of the iMac.

The bottom line was that SJ/Apple had to make choices. Apple, in spite of Steve Jobs, could have still gone bankrupt. But, it did not. Perhaps, the exile of SJ from 1985 helped him focus more than the Steve Jobs of the early 1980s. Perhaps, it was just his nature to be tenacious. But, he turned Apple around.

And, now we can speculate of what could have been or what should have been done.

Will Apple under Steve Jobs make the same mistakes as it did in the past? The recent decade showed that SJ learned from his mistakes and those of Apple in the late 1980's-1990's.

One observation however was that Apple may have turned its back on the support groups (people and venues) that helped keep Apple alive even during the dark times.

CGC
  • Reply 58 of 75
    justflybobjustflybob Posts: 1,337member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Porchland View Post

Ah, memories of using Excel to automate legal offices with Macs in Sacatomatoes (with apologies to Herb Caen's estate) a couple of decades ago. It was difficult, but not impossible, and I could charge a profitable fee at the time since every other consultant was terrified of being sued!
  • Reply 59 of 75
    Apple?s Paradoxical Approach to Business by John Martellero

http://www.macobserver.com/tmo/artic...h_to_Business/

Good read! Judging by the article, apple is by nature unfriendly to business. "Apple's response to business is this: here is the product we're selling today. Take it or leave it. But you will love it." I don't think apple has a serious bone in its body to take on business at all.
  • Reply 60 of 75
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bettieblue View Post

I have a doctor friend, who is a total Mac fanboy if there was ever one. He has money to blow so he owns it all. He recently switched (last year) to Mac practice. He got rid of a old network of Windows XP machines that were just tired and under powered, plus an old Windows 2003 server. He spent a nice chunk of money on the hardware and software.

However he still has a few PC's because there are a few programs he must run to be able to work with many of the hospitals in the area. He has one PC dedicated to Quickbooks so his accountant can logmein into it. Every Mac is running Parrallels because of certain Windows only apps he needs.

After using Mac Practice for about 8 months he told me there are holes in the program that Windows only programs do a much better job. He had to replace his scanners use for scanning in medical documents and insurance cards, because the ones he had, only came with Windows software. All of his employees HATE the Mac version of Office.

While he loves to say that his employees dont get malware like XP did, Windows 7 does not either, and will run all of those Windows apps as well.

The sheer cost to him was a massive mistake. In then end he is using less capable software, had to purchase more expensive hardware, or hardware not needed (scanners), and he still has to run Windows all over the place for a few apps. But hey he has nice white/metal computers with Apples on them, to match his flashy office.

I hate to admit it but there is a LOT of truth to what you say. I kinda insist on using only Apple gear but I know it has cost me and keeps costing me. Had I gone MS things would absolutely have been easier. Another factor that makes my life more difficult is that I keep trying different packages out so I end up with data all over the place and a mish mash of solutions. I have worked in Windows environments before and even though there is more software available it is not all plain sailing. I think a willingness to stick to what you have and work around issues is often the best ways (I speak from experience) Changing accounting software is a MAJOR pain. I keep wondering if I just should have stuck to Excel.