Chitika: iOS 4 already powering 50% of iPhone traffic

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 35
    rybryb Posts: 56member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rtm135 View Post

Before I got the IP4, I upgraded my 3G to IOS4 and things actually felt snappier. same goes for 2 of my friends that upgraded with the same equipment. kinda strange.

My 3G works great on iOS 4. Looking forward to getting the iPhone 4 though.
  • Reply 22 of 35
    joe hsjoe hs Posts: 488member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fruitymac View Post

Not this little black duck.

iOS4 practially bricked my 3G.

80 days outside of warranty, Apple replaced my handset.

Issues:

* iPhone restarting itself

* iPhone running at snail pace

* iPhone freezing with no response

Evidently, Sydney Morning Herald purported other users having similar issues, advising against the update. Happy the replacement has 3.1.3.

iOS has bricked my 3GS- I've been unable to sync/restore/backup/update since I upgraded to iOS 4.0
  • Reply 23 of 35
    mobilitymobility Posts: 135member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by martimus3060 View Post

I agree with your take on the fractionalization of Android, mathematically it is intuitively obvious to the most casual observer, but others in the tech media world seem to be glossing over this issue. With all the stick-poking-in-the-eye they are doing to Apple over the more recent issues, this seems to be a little unhelpful to all the consumers they seem to be trying to protect from Apple. I guess I can figure out why...

as an addendum, I am a new to AT&T iPhone 4 user, using 4.0.1 on four family-planned iPhone 4s

Four Family planned iPhone 4s. That's on oxymoron!

< sorry just had to crack a super geek joke >
  • Reply 24 of 35
    deanbardeanbar Posts: 113member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chopper View Post

In case you've missed the news, the Nexus is no longer available from Google directly but it's still being manufactured, and can be purchased from Vodafone where that brand operates, such as the UK and even my little old stomping ground, New Zealand.

Being the reference platform for Android, I doubt it will be discontinued in the near future. That's just my opinion though.

Froyo is already available for those who wish to update manually, and the handset makers including Motorola and HTC have indicated that the OTA updates are on their way.

In other news, Gingerbread is being beta tested also, so there's no apparent shortage of OS development.

But I mention these things only because there seems to be a trend by some posters to repeat the extraordinary unsupported claims by the Super Apologist? writer of the PR piece above, without making even cursory attempts to verify them.

(Why I bother attempting to put the record straight, I really don't know. Masochism, maybe...)

Meanwhile I'll point out that I have yet to update to iOS 4, but will do so once I'm sure that there's no issues with my 3Gs.

Don't hold your breath waiting to update to iOS4 on your 3Gs. I wish I hadn't, my iphone runs like treacle. I wish I had stayed with iOS3. iOS4 on the 3G is a dog and Apple doesn't seem interested in doing anything about it.
  • Reply 25 of 35
    jpcgjpcg Posts: 114member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by deanbar View Post

Don't hold your breath waiting to update to iOS4 on your 3Gs. I wish I hadn't, my iphone runs like treacle. I wish I had stayed with iOS3. iOS4 on the 3G is a dog and Apple doesn't seem interested in doing anything about it.

To everybody with slow iOS4. You should have done a clean install and after you did that, you can restored from backup. Worked for me...
  • Reply 26 of 35
    walneywalney Posts: 70member
  • Reply 27 of 35
    chopperchopper Posts: 246member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by deanbar View Post

OK. I'll watch developments and stick with iOS 3 for the meantime. To be frank, I tend to delay updates anyway as I've been bitten in the past. But I wasn't aware of any particular issues, so thanks for the tip.

I see that Solipsism has a link above that might help with a restore to 3. Haven't looked at it as I don't need it myself, but it may be a fix for you.

Cheers.
  • Reply 28 of 35
    razorpitrazorpit Posts: 1,796member
    I was one of the fools who upgraded my 3G. I now have a phone that is terribly slow, crashes often, and almost unusable. I'm goin to wait an see what the 4.1 update brings bit if there are no improvements the number of people running iOS 4 is going to go down by one while the number of 3.1.3 users will increase by one. I wish Apple would have just cut off 3G users with the original iPhone users.
  • Reply 29 of 35
    samabsamab Posts: 1,953member
    Chitika is the idiotic firm that had their ipad sold counter constantly off by 1/3.

You go to their website and you see 1 million ipad sold in the morning, then in the afternoon they would fix their counter back to 600K.
  • Reply 30 of 35
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

The irony is that the flagship Android phone for the past 6 months, that all demos of Flash 10.1 and other advancements were done on a device that is now discontinued. Not even after a year and there is no Nexus One II or Nexus Two or whatever taking its place.

I?d like to think that most new Android-based phones will be getting v2.2 as it?s really a great improvement over v2.1, but the history of Android releases doesn?t seem to promising to me. Sure, the faster, higher end Android phones will get it out of the gate, but even now I think you can get a new Android phone running v1.6. Luckily for Android OS, Moto and HTC will be at the forefront making Android look pretty good.

I beleive the Android phones that will get 2.2 will only be the ones that can truly run it well. Most of not all being the 1Ghz phones. I never really looked at the Nexus One as the flagship Android phone just because it was a Google phone. I am not sure it was ever really ment to be the Flagship phone of it Google was using it more for testing their OS and if people wanted to buy it well that was just fine with them.

They never marketed the phone very well and it was never available at TMobile stores. Its like they went out of their way to make it hard to get for some odd reason.

If things continue HTC will certainly become the hardware of choice for the Android phones.

However the Android market while they have the numbers when it comes to apps available (not as much as Apple of course) the entire system just simply isn't as well designed compared to what Apple has in place with iTunes.
  • Reply 31 of 35
    xsuxsu Posts: 401member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by experiencemusic View Post

Based on the pie charts pasted in the article, it looks like the iPhone is more fractured than the Android platform.

I guess the authors point is the iPhone will converge on its current platform faster than Android - but in the current state, there are more fractures and OS versions to develop against with the iPhone than the Android.

With 99% of users on the last two major versions, and 96% users at/above version 3.1, you call that fractured? As iOS developer, the minimal version you really need to concern youself with is 3.1, really only one version behind. Where as an Android developer really have to keep track of all 4 versions, or he will loss significant chunk of market. Not to mention all those users below his version cutoff complaining his App is trash because it doesn't work on their phone.
  • Reply 32 of 35
    groovetubegroovetube Posts: 557member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Orlando View Post

50% of iPhones are using iOS4; I just wish I wasn't one of them!

On the iPhone 3G, the performance of iOS4 is terrible. Apple should either have optimized their code better or not released iOS4 for the 3G.

yeah really. Updating to OS4 was the biggest mistake I made on this 3G.

this parody is actually bang on.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pdk2c...layer_embedded
  • Reply 33 of 35
    wovelwovel Posts: 956member
    Only 3.3% on 2.2, wow...

Why does everyone use 2.2 as the basis for the feature comparisons then?
  • Reply 34 of 35
    chopperchopper Posts: 246member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wovel View Post

Only 3.3% on 2.2, wow...

Why does everyone use 2.2 as the basis for the feature comparisons then?

The numbers are low presumably because Froyo has only just been officially released in the wild, the OTA update program from the handset manufacturers has yet to get any momentum, and the numbers reflect those things.

Your question about 2.2 beggars belief. Why wouldn't you compare the latest versions of each platform? That's the point, surely? Even if your phone is running 2.1 now, it's going to be running 2.2 in the near future.

• Reply 35 of 35
    sennensennen Posts: 1,472member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Joe hs View Post

iOS has bricked my 3GS- I've been unable to sync/restore/backup/update since I upgraded to iOS 4.0

that's weird (and it sucks). mine became instantly snappier, and no problems syncing. however there are a couple of glitches i've noticed, such as toggling between language input sometimes freezes (just occasionally have to wait a few seconds to let it do it's thing), and the animation for sms's being sent isn't as smooth as previously. fairly minor.