Apple's Mac Pro retail inventories suggest refresh on the horizon

Comments

• Reply 41 of 132
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by OC4Theo View Post

Dodeca-cores? What are we trying to do by producing these monsters? These machines are already many thousand times faster than the simulator for the first atomic bomb.

Hope "THEY" don't get their hands on a few of these. After all, how much processing power does one need to be productive at work place or at home.

We're safe...

Apple - Export Compliance

"PROHIBITED DESTINATIONS

The U.S. holds complete embargoes against Cuba, Iran, North Korea, Sudan, and Syria

The exportation, reexportation, sale or supply, directly or indirectly, from the United States, or by a U.S. person wherever located, of any Apple goods, software, technology (including technical data), or services to any of these countries is strictly prohibited without prior authorization by the U.S. Government.

ENHANCED PROLIFERATION CONTROL INITIATIVE (EPCI)

It?s prohibited to allow certain countries to use Apple products in the design, development, production or use of nuclear, missiles, and chemical and biological weapons and technology without proper authorization from the U.S. Government. This applies to all countries, EXCEPT Australia, Austria, Belgium, Canada, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Iceland, Ireland, Italy (includes San Marino and Holy See), Japan, Luxembourg, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Portugal, Spain, Sweden, Turkey, and United Kingdom."
  • Reply 42 of 132
    grebogrebo Posts: 20member
    I have been waiting for this refresh for some time. Especially as my old G5 'liquid cooled' model finally dried up and burnt out. I've been limping along on a 1st-gen Intel iMac waiting for the new Mac Pro.

I too am hoping for a new form factor. The old style came out with G5. They've been with Intel chips for years now. Time to retool that monster.
  • Reply 43 of 132
    s.metcalfs.metcalf Posts: 975member
    Quote:

Dodeca-cores? What are we trying to do by producing these monsters? These machines are already many thousand times faster than the simulator for the first atomic bomb.

Hope "THEY" don't get their hands on a few of these. After all, how much processing power does one need to be productive at work place or at home.

With all due respect Theo, you seem to be a little arrogant in assuming that what is good enough for you is good enough for everyone else. There are plenty of people who depend on powerful workstations for their every day work. Similarly, the increasing perfomance of desktop chips has enabled advances in a wide range of fields such as medicine, genetics, climatology and meteorology to name just a few. I process data and run models at work that can take days to complete on a quad-core, so any advance in performance can equate to hours saved.

If you're using software that is capable of parallel processing then a 12-core machine could be at least 50% faster than the 8-core. For example, you might need to transcode DVDs into H.264 as part of your workflow, so the extra power from the new chips would be very useful. These are the customers that have been waiting...and waiting...with the promise of updates having been floating around the net including this site since the start of the year if not before.
  • Reply 44 of 132
    dluxdlux Posts: 666member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sybaritic View Post

Would love to see an SAS and/or SSD build-to-order drive option.

This, plus more data drive capacity. Ideally something like eight drives with front-accessable hot-swap bays. (That would help make up for the loss of the Apple RAID chassis a few years back.)

While we're at it, a BluRay option.

And while Lightpeak is still in the vapor stage, 10G Ethernet would be nice as an option as well.
  • Reply 45 of 132
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,354moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

Focusing on cost at this stage makes no sense. If you go down to your local appliance store there are all sorts of HDTVs for sale. Unless your need is the absolute lowest price you buy based on what your need are.

That's what I'm saying though. If they can only put out a 27" LED backlit IPS display for $1499 and the 27" iMac is $1699 then why bother making a separate product line? If people are going to put out that much on a screen, they'd be as well to spend $200 more and get the iMac computer parts with it. This way it's an extra optical drive, SD slot, 4 x USB ports, FW 800 port, isight as well as a backup computer. It increases resale value too because the number of people who would buy a 27" iMac is far higher than people who'd spend near that amount on just a screen.

I'd say it would only be worth making a line of 27" Cinema screens if they can hit the $1100-1300 region.

Quote:

I'm not sure where the "it must have USB3 mantra" comes from. Certainly it would be nice but on the otherhand it shouldn't be implement at a high expense.

Clearly it is one of the next emerging standards and has been shipped with PCs since at least February. If they don't use it now, Mac Pro users will have to wait until next year and miss out on the possibility of using a 256GB USB 3 external drive. For someone who would deal with footage, being able to fill that drive with HD ProRes footage in about 20 minutes would be a huge advantage.

Quote:

The Mac Pro doesn't suport the volume to justify updates like are seen in the consummer lineup. It isn't even marketed to people with the need for the latest and greatest. Rather it is a stable platform for serious work thus the "Pro" name.

It's always a balance though, otherwise you could use the same argument to justify them upgrading it every 3 years. Once Intel brings out a new generation of processors then the ones in the Mac Pro are the last generation. That's not just about image, the new chips are more efficient for pretty much the same price. When other manufacturers use the new ones then the Mac Pros look bad by comparison.

The stability you're talking about only applies to people upgrading not to new buyers or people who need a replacement. If those people buy right now then they are paying full price for 16 month-old hardware.

I personally expect and hope for a redesign but all they did last year was bump the CPUs so they could easily do the same this time. I want a 2/3rds sized Mac Pro with at least a 6-core option (the AMD X6 1090T would be ideal) and a radeon 5870. Don't care about 4 drive bays or an optical drive at all. Two drives and no optical is fine by me. 8GB RAM is fine too. At the right price, that would be an instant buy. It would be a stretch to expect that for £1499 from Apple but maybe £1999 and a lower model can be built for £1499.
  • Reply 46 of 132
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Quote:

Rather it is a stable platform for serious work thus the "Pro" name.

I think the kind of "big data" Pros who buy the Mac Pro are *most* in need of the latest chips. A 5% speed boost can shave hours off a big enough job.

But I agree, they want the fastest possible subject to it being stable and reliable.
  • Reply 47 of 132
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mistergreen View Post

Glad to see this. Being an content producer who depends of his Macs for work, it's a welcome sight. Tired of playing second fiddle to phones and such. It's all about the Mac right?

What is this Mac you speak of? I didn't know Apple made those...

• Reply 48 of 132
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TuberMagPico View Post

The Nvidians are gatthering a wide arsenal to rule....

Well, ATI had an excellent run with the 5000 series, particularly 5870, 5850. Nvidia was way behind the curve the past year trying to get Fermi out the door, churning out endless rebadging and rebranding to keep cash flow going. People thought they were doomed but the Nvidia 460 is a new killer GPU. Finally, competition is back between the red and green camps.
  • Reply 49 of 132
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    LOL@people who talk about light peak. Try 2014
  • Reply 50 of 132
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ascii View Post

But I agree, they want the fastest possible subject to it being stable and reliable.

I find that today, software has come such a long way that putting up with slightly slower hardware is not a bad experience at all.

I've been wanting a new i5/i7 iMac or possibly a low end Mac Pro for a long while now, but my nearly 4 year old C2D iMac is still a powerful beast of a machine. Runs the latest from Apple, and other, flawlessly.

What geeks forget to remember, is that we crossed the threshold of, "every Mac is a GREAT Mac" a long, long while ago.

Makes little difference what you buy. They are all going to work great.
  • Reply 51 of 132
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mistergreen View Post

Glad to see this. Being an content producer who depends of his Macs for work, it's a welcome sight. Tired of playing second fiddle to phones and such. It's all about the Mac right?

Agreed. "Apple still sells Macs?" was almost becoming a fair question.

Apple needs to be more aggressive in keeping their pro hardware fresh (and visible), regardless of where the company "buzz" may be.
  • Reply 52 of 132
    xgmanxgman Posts: 159member
    Quote:

Again it really doesn't look that bad. Im not sure what your problem is. The Mac Pro doesn't suport the volume to justify updates like are seen in the consummer lineup. It isn't even marketed to people with the need for the latest and greatest. Rather it is a stable platform for serious work thus the "Pro" name.

Dave

Exactly why it needs frequent updates.
  • Reply 53 of 132
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

I use our second bedroom sort of as a 'telecommunications' room. The cable modem, Time Capsule, digital camera, BT headphones, Mophie iPhone battery are all in there sitting/charging on a dresser-No pwr bricks or cables in my office!

PPPS. Damn, I love Apple. But I really love no cables! Aghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

You mean except for the surge protector with the 10 power cords, coax cable and the ethernet to a wireless router. In my case I also have a UPS, external speakers, eyeTV, and a firewire external drive.

Instead of trying for no cables, which is an automatic fail, maybe you should strive for clean cable management. I have a nice modular desk system that has covered compartments for hiding cables. Works out very well. The same system I have at work, I also use at home.
  • Reply 54 of 132
    programmerprogrammer Posts: 3,458member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sippincider View Post

Agreed. "Apple still sells Macs?" was almost becoming a fair question.

Only if you have the attention span of a gnat.

Their latest quarterly results talked about how they sold more Macs than in any previous quarter, up 33%. For all the moaning and belly aching about how Apple hasn't "kept up with the Jones'", they aren't having trouble moving machines. This lets them bide their time and roll out new machines when it makes sense, rather than being stuck in the endless, mindless series of small increments. As a result there are fewer machines types to support, and their redesign cycle can be more deliberate.

New machines are coming soon, hang in there.
  • Reply 55 of 132
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:

Are you kidding me? I just wish the software could use all the power. For example FCP can only use a fraction of the available CPU when rendering.
  • Reply 56 of 132
    ssquirrelssquirrel Posts: 1,196member
    Quote:

The real play with AMD will come "real soon now". That would be the combo of Fusion and Bulldozer. Fusion would be almost perfect for the Mini and ought to out perform the current Intel implementation.

Fusion will damn sure kick Intel in the teeth when it comes to graphics performance.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Programmer View Post

Their latest quarterly results talked about how they sold more Macs than in any previous quarter, up 33%. For all the moaning and belly aching about how Apple hasn't "kept up with the Jones'", they aren't having trouble moving machines.

And IIRC, wasn't the quarter before that also a record quarter for Mac sales? They've been on a hellacious tear recently.
  • Reply 57 of 132
    programmerprogrammer Posts: 3,458member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SSquirrel View Post

Fusion will damn sure kick Intel in the teeth when it comes to graphics performance.

I'm not holding my breath. Until there is a machine that can be benchmarked by a 3rd party, I'm not going to buy into the hype. Here's hoping they are at least competitive again.
  • Reply 58 of 132
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SSquirrel View Post

Sounds like a fun setup you have there man. Also, it's PS, PPS, PPPS. Post-script. Post-post-script, etc.

Thanks, SSquirrel!
  • Reply 59 of 132
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by puzzlehead View Post

i was hoping the refresh would have light peak.

I didn't think there were any real dreamers left in this world.
  • Reply 60 of 132
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Programmer View Post

Only if you have the attention span of a gnat.

bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz . . . . . . .