Limited iMac retail inventory precedes anticipated update

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Some Apple retail stores have run out of stock of both 21.5-inch and 27-inch iMac models, ahead of an expected refresh to the desktop Mac hardware.

An AppleInsider reader sent word Sunday that the 21.5-inch iMac, and quad-core 27-inch model are both unavailable for the Reserve and Pick Up option at the company's retail store in Buffalo, N.Y. In addition, some desktops are unavailable in other locations, including Apple's Fifth Avenue store in New York City, where the quad-core 27-inch is not available for pick-up.

However, for those shopping on Apple's online store, the hardware is still scheduled to ship within 24 hours.

The changes to the company's Reserve and Pick Up option come soon after Apple warned its direct and indirect sales channels of near-term shortages of the iMac. The company is drawing down its inventory ahead of the launch of new models, expected to arrive in the coming weeks.

Among those out of stock in some locations are the 3.06GHz 21.5-inch iMac, of which Apple has told distributors not to expect any further stock, implying that production of the model has ceased.

Potential configurations of the new hardware include a dual-core Core i5 model and quad-core Core i5 and Core i7 configurations. People familiar with the plan previously indicated to AppleInsider that Intel's low-end Core i3 processor would also find its way into the iMac line.

Earlier this month, it was alleged that the forthcoming iMac update would add USB 3.0, as well as faster FireWire connectivity. The new hardware is not expected to have support for Blu-ray discs.

Signs of another hardware update also came through Apple's online store Reserve and Pick Up option last week, when customers discovered limited availability of the company's other line of desktop machines, the Mac Pro. Users found that multiple retail stores showed no availability of either the Quad-Core or 8-core Mac Pro models.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 43
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Tuesday seems like a viable bet. Do you think any other updates beside iMac and Mac Pro HW; AppleTV, iLife, iWork, Pro apps? My concern is the stock price and I also wonder if Apple would push an update faster than planned to help hide negative news.
  • Reply 2 of 43
    geez - feels like I just got this thing. Will it be cool enough to step up???
  • Reply 3 of 43
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by johnmcboston View Post

The iMac was last updated 278 days ago, which is 47 days passed the average cycle update of 221 days before refresh. (via Mac Buyers Guide)

The last update to the iMac (the one you own) was a major overhaul, so next update will likely not be anything major. I don't expect any major design changes for 1-2 years.

The only rumor floating right now is multitouch/iOS integration into iMacs/Apple desktops but that seems unlikely at this time. Would be kinda cool though.
  • Reply 4 of 43
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by clickmyface View Post

The only rumor floating right now is multitouch/iOS integration into iMacs/Apple desktops but that seems unlikely at this time. Would be kinda cool though.

I don't get having multi touch on a desktop. Seems like it would be uncomfortable to have to lean forward to peck at the screen. Of course, I'm a fatty so maybe it's just me. I prefer a nice comfy chair and keyboard and mouse.
  • Reply 5 of 43
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

My concern is the stock price and I also wonder if Apple would push an update faster than planned to help hide negative news.

It is highly unlikely that they would push a hardware update to deflect the 'negative' news of late. One because the value has basically recovered already. and Two because if it is too soon and there's some big issue, the negative there would be horrible. Folks would jump all over the notion that Apple is making a habit of releasing stuff before it is ready, etc.

I think that it is possible that the imacs could release soon to catch any students that might want a desktop (like video/film folks that want bigger screen real estate) or those willing to use their annual discount on the family as they already have a well working machine.

The Pro delay is probably due to some external factor like some processor or graphics card that wasn't previously available that will make the update really pop. Or even USB 3.0 which hasn't really put in an appearance, suggesting it wasn't yet ready for prime time.

as for the apps, we shall see.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by clickmyface View Post

To me that rumor is utterly ridiculous. At least the multitouch part of it. Because the rumor is that they are going to drop Mac OS in favor of putting iOS in the machines and making them giant multitouch devices. Which is beyond. Not only because of the growth in the pro apps at studios and labels (which are supported by Mac OS), but the form function is bogus. Outside of a few limited items like previewing kiosks at stores, museums and such, it's just not workable.

That said, there are rumors of an Apple trackpad that has allegedly reached the FCC. I could buy the idea that 10.7 would include an iOS emulator allowing you to run apps on your computer, using said trackpad as your control surface. But this would be an add-on to Mac OS, not a replacement
  • Reply 6 of 43
    puljiunpuljiun Posts: 1member
    Hope they will release the Magic Trackpad at the same time with the iMac. Hi everyone !
  • Reply 7 of 43
    daharderdaharder Posts: 1,580member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by johnmcboston View Post

Rest assured that this update won't render your current iMac obsolete, unless you're obsessed with having the latest wares.

A reasonable expectation would be the implementation of some kind of multi-touch pad either added to the (admittedly minuscule) keyboard, or even touch functionality added to the monitor itself, as pioneered some 2 years ago by Hp's TouchSmart all-in-one desktop computers.

We'll See Soon Enough...
  • Reply 8 of 43
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by puljiun View Post

Hope they will release the Magic Trackpad at the same time with the iMac. Hi everyone !

Seems logical...laptops out sell desktops, so Apple creates a laptop keyboard for their desktop, which i love btw! Now they offer up a trackpad also similar to their laptops!

Welcome puljiun!

Best
  • Reply 9 of 43
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Tuesday seems like a viable bet. Do you think any other updates beside iMac and Mac Pro HW; AppleTV, iLife, iWork, Pro apps?

At this point they might as well call iLife and iWork 2010 iLife 2011 and iWork 2011. In any event tying a products name to the release year is a mistske in my mind. So maybe we will see this rethought.

Quote:

My concern is the stock price and I also wonder if Apple would push an update faster than planned to help hide negative news.

Screw the stock price, you are either a long term investor or not. Im not sure why you would even bother to concern yourself with a short term price drop engineered by out of control media.

Dave
  • Reply 10 of 43
    mactelmactel Posts: 1,275member
    New hardware will be grand but along with the hardware I'm hoping iWork 10 will show up. I'm just waiting to pull the trigger on a new Mac purchase but really want iWork 10 so I can bundle that in. I don't know why Apple is super secret on iWork. Come out with a freakin beta for it so we can help debug and provide feedback.
  • Reply 11 of 43
    rtm135rtm135 Posts: 310member
    The HP TouchSmart PCs seem to be doing pretty well, so I'd be surprised if Apple didn't respond with a touchscreen iMac.
  • Reply 12 of 43
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

If it is a major update, the media would be involved, thus Tuesday is unlikely.

Typically, that?s the case, but the newest Mac Mini was redesigned without a Special Event.

Quote:

At this point they might as well call iLife and iWork 2010 iLife 2011 and iWork 2011. In any event tying a products name to the release year is a mistske in my mind. So maybe we will see this rethought.

I think iLife and other apps might get the ?X? moniker to signify a conversion to 64-bit and Cocoa, the way QTX was bumped up from QT7. With iTunes, which is already on v9 and due for this year I can easily see them using ?X?, but that will have to wait for the iPod event in the Autumn.

Quote:

Screw the stock price, you are either a long term investor or not. Im not sure why you would even bother to concern yourself with a short term price drop engineered by out of control media.

Yeah, those are the two basic choices and I am long on every stock I current hold, but I have a different reason for wanting the stock to shoot past $300 a share in 2010 and beating XOM?s market cap.
  • Reply 13 of 43
    Hoping for an i5 as the base processor for the new imacs. I need to get my wife a computer but have been waiting for this duo nonsense to take its course.
  • Reply 14 of 43
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sausage&Onion View Post

Hoping for an i5 as the base processor for the new imacs. I need to get my wife a computer but have been waiting for this duo nonsense to take its course.

Core-i seems like a given to me. What seems less certain is whether it will be desktop-class chips like in the 27" iMac, which cleary has the spare for them, the heat sinks and requisite power supply.

I have to think that even the smaller iMac outsells the Mac Mini and therefore assume that they have focused more time and energy to it's design. After seeing the engineering that went into the new Mac Mini I have to think that it's certainly a possibility they were able to engineer it.
  • Reply 15 of 43
    mtpamtpa Posts: 3member
    The real unknown is the bottom SKU with NVIDIA GeForce 9400M graphics.

The i3/i5 replacing it has a built in intel chipset on the die, and NVIDIA can't make a chipset for it.

This is one of the reasons why the 13" MacBook and MacBookPro are likely stuck on Core 2, since Apple can't ship computers with shit Intel integrated graphics, but adding a discrete video card is more expensive, and makes it harder to differentiate the more expensive SKUs.

At least the 21" iMac has less physical space limitations as Apple's laptops.
  • Reply 16 of 43
    giosacconegiosaccone Posts: 121member
    It would be a very good update!
  • Reply 17 of 43
    I've been holding out to get a new one, though I could hold out until October/November as I'd expect they'd hold off until after the back to school rush.

If they come with a matte option even better. Though I'll be plugging in my 23" cinema display anyways, having a secondary matte screen is the only reason I'd let myself get an imac.
  • Reply 18 of 43
    joe hsjoe hs Posts: 488member
    iMac, Mac Pro, MacBook Air, iLife X and iWork X??

..please
  • Reply 19 of 43
    Apple was just a excellent PC manufacturing company before the release of iPod and iPhone, recently iPad. Steve Jobs has transformed Apple into a global technology giant from a domestic PC manufacturing major of US. This is indeed a tremendous outcome for Apple. iMac is an excellent product with the vision of taking the GUI and User experience into next level with the backing of Steve’s awesome thought process. I am not surprised at all with such a performance from Apple, because it’s the Steve’s brain which is behind this marketing graph, and everyone knows what a genius he is? http://www.webdesignseoglobal.com/
  • Reply 20 of 43
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    I guess, looking at the current models, the logical next step is kind of obvious. That is, iX chips across the line.

But other than that I don't know. SSDs are still kind of expensive for a base configuration, but maybe will be offered BTO. I don't see them offering USB 3 since Intel chipsets don't support it yet. Perhaps they will offer an updated Firewire instead of USB3 (see, it was worth keeping around!). The 9400M also needs replacing with the 320M on the low end.

But all these things really only add up to a bump revision. What I am hoping for is something crazy with the screen, such as a significant DPI increase. Not to the same extent as the iPhone 4 (that would be impractical) but an improvement nonetheless. And maybe a custom 10.6.4 build with res independence. I have noticed it getting closer and closer to done as the 10.6 point releases have progressed, so they're still working on it.

There could also be a keyboard with a touchpad in place of the numeric keypad. This would give all Macs, even desktop bound ones, a touchpad, and there have been rumors about some kind of new touchpad type device lately.