Apple to launch iPhone 4 in 17 more countries on Friday

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 42
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tulkas View Post

Sorry, I should have been more clear. I didn't mean that Apple treats everyone else as second class. They are definitely moving to a more global set for launches of their products. I was responding to deb's objection to Apple launching in the US first. Since they now usually launch in a few countries besides the US, one can't really claim they exclusively launch first in the US, with some exceptions. But, when it is a staged launch, the US is and will always be in the first round. Why should it be otherwise? I suppose deb is bitter that his/her country is not in the first stage. Neither is mine. It would be great if Apple could launch in every country on the same day. But, given that they cannot always do this, is it wrong that their largest and most important market is included in the first round of countries?

If they can't do a global launch with every country getting product on the same day for every launch, should they hold a lottery and determine which are they first few countries to get the product? Should Apple withhold stock from the US to ensure that Nigeria, Luxembourg, Egypt and Nicaragua get it on launch day?

I actually agree with you, in general. I think in most cases US should be the first launch, but there should be announced (when announcing US launch date) and scheduled international launches within a few weeks time -*Ideally*

I don't think there's anything wrong with Apple prioritising the US. The only thing to keep in mind though is that probably 20% of iPads, for example, are all going out of the US to grey markets, so that's stock US residents don't have access to anyways. Just a thought.

As to how the stock allocation goes outside the US, well, that's really out of our hands, Apple is improving in global availability, and gradually, and shifts will occur eg. China getting more precedence.

I'm currently in Malaysia, which is generally slotted in at fourth-tier launches. Macs are within 1-2 weeks of announcement though.

The interesting thing is that Apple is willing to let US and UK online wait times go to 3 weeks, and going ahead with international iPhone4 launches.
  • Reply 42 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ascii View Post

I will not be buying an iPhone 4 this Friday. Had intended to but am still sore about what iOS 4 did to the performance of my old 3G. Damn it, it was a perfectly good phone until I installed this.

No I am not an iHater or Apple fanatic, I'm an ordinary person whose phone has been f'ed by Apple pushing an OS update out to hardware not powerful enough to run it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pdk2cJpSXLg

I am not a hater either. But I did downgrade to 3.1.3 last night and my 3G iPhone is much more responsive. I can't justify getting an iPhone 4 until this one breaks (and I want an unlocked one) ... Hopefully a newer iPhone will be out by the time I need one.

Ps the phone is "snappier" under the old software and using and older backup the downgrade was easy to do