0yvind0yvind Posts: 55member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

That's a good idea!

--iLife xx comes with each Mac purchase

--iLife comes with 1 year MobileMe

--Existing Mobile get free iLife upgrade

--New iLife purchases get 1 year MobileMe

I'd love a free MobileMe, also think it would be easy to implement with the new data center, and would make for a stronger competition to Goog and Micro$ who have this already.

iWeb '11: Apple would be wise to implemet a simple way of making HTML5 in iWeb, and not let Adobe Dreamweaver be the only way to do this (with their new HTML5 add-on). Also the bloated code in iWeb has kept me from using it, opting for RapidWeaver in the few cases when I needed a quick way to make a simple nice-looking website. Adding front-end support for WordPress e.a would also be terrific, but then we're probably talking iWork, so I wouldn't hold my breath on that one.

iDev/ iAppMaker: I've visited those iAppMaker sites and been thinking - why is Apple letting this opportuity for good integration and "democratic" app making be organised by third parties? Even to the extent that they lose the income of developer account fees? When I saw the Google AppMaker thing for Android I started thinking that Apple could do it in a much more elegant way - maybe even with some quality control built-in.

Garageband with control surface: Third parties are already making these iApps for use with Cubase, Logic etc, so why not add it to GB?

Some iTV app? They must be feeling the pressure from Big G, and some new iLife app for a better TV experience could make sense. But more as a part of a new "dongle" version of AppleTV maybe...
  • Reply 122 of 177
    moxommoxom Posts: 326member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JustReelFilms View Post

Currently, the iLife applications are : iPhoto, iMove, iDVD, Garageband and iWeb.

For an application to be part of an iLife package, it must have the ability to Create, Archive, and Distribute(Shared). It also must be something the whole family can enjoy, easy to use, learn and the final output good is enough to be compared with the content produced with Pro apps.

What would the mystery application be?

iPaint?
  • Reply 123 of 177
    oneaburnsoneaburns Posts: 354member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

This is already there. The folders with the numbers are just the imports when you connect your camera. Call it an event and give it a name and the folder gets a name.

It would be handy if they added a feature when you do the import, that it asked you what to call it I guess. Then every import would get a named folder.

It's there within iPhoto, but you can not see your folders in finder. For example, open finder, go to Pictures and then you'll see an icon that says iPhoto Library. Clicking that just opens up iPhoto, not the individual files. It makes it difficult to manipulate the files without having to open up iPhoto first.

On top of that, I find the whole program cumbersome. If I've taken a bunch of pictures on my phone and upload them then it defaults to putting them in hundreds of different "events" which I never wanted to categorize in the first place. Sadly, Windows is much better with file management and dealing with photos.
  • Reply 124 of 177
    yensid98yensid98 Posts: 311member
    I don't want to de-rail this thread, but I just had to respond to oneaburns.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by oneaburns View Post

It's there within iPhoto, but you can not see your folders in finder. For example, open finder, go to Pictures and then you'll see an icon that says iPhoto Library. Clicking that just opens up iPhoto, not the individual files. It makes it difficult to manipulate the files without having to open up iPhoto first.

To be fair, you're complaining about something that iPhoto was expressly designed NOT to do. iPhoto is a database for your photos. You organize and edit them from within the database, not outside of it. If you want folder management with your photos, you shouldn't be using iPhoto. A combination of the Pictures folder in the Finder and the Cover Flow view will give you the functionality you are looking for.

Quote:

If I've taken a bunch of pictures on my phone and upload them then it defaults to putting them in hundreds of different "events" which I never wanted to categorize in the first place.

Before importing you can deselect this feature so all your phone photos are in one Event. if you forget to deselect it before importing, merging Events is as simple as clicking and dragging.
  • Reply 125 of 177
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,960member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

Well, there's always Elegato's eyetv HD (and their OTA tuners) + eyetv software for that.

Yeah, I was thinking of an Apple version of Elegato combined with Toast.
  • Reply 126 of 177
    sheffsheff Posts: 1,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Smiles77 View Post

So, my thoughts on the new app in descending order of likelihood.

1) iBooks - A new desktop application that will allow you to read and buy books from the iBookstore, or even your own imported epub books. This will be especially geared toward students, with options such as highlighting, notes, bookmarks, multiple books open simultaneously, and integrated dictionary and thesaurus. You might even be able to write your own ebook within the app, and publish it right to the iBookstore.

2) iPaint - The paint and drawing app you've always wanted for the Mac. etc. etc. etc.

3) FaceTime - A long-shot because iChat is already integrated in the OS, not iLife; but including this in iLife will allow them to update/add it without having to wait for an OS revision.

Wow you just read my mind (except the iPaint part). If iBooks makes it in or some iChat Face Time update is announced it would be worth the upgrade price.
  • Reply 127 of 177
    yensid98yensid98 Posts: 311member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DJinTX View Post

It's time for MobileMe to complete the circle from it's beginnins as iTools and become a free service for all Mac/iPhone. There have been rumors about MobileMe becoming free in the last few months, and I think this would be a great move. I am fine with giving users only a small amount of iDisk space with this, and then charging to increase it. But the core services should be free (me.com email address, calendar syncing, etc.). It would draw in new users to the brand seeing seeing the ease of use and seemless integration of all these great services, and would solidify the brand. If google can give it away for free, then I think Apple should also.

But Google doesn't give it away for free. They put targeted ads in your email and sell your habits/information for profit. Do we need another company to do the same thing? Isn't it good that we have an option to pay for these services from another company and therefore not have to deal with ads and the sale of our personal information?
  • Reply 128 of 177
    nkhmnkhm Posts: 928member
    Quote:

On top of that, I find the whole program cumbersome. If I've taken a bunch of pictures on my phone and upload them then it defaults to putting them in hundreds of different "events" which I never wanted to categorize in the first place. Sadly, Windows is much better with file management and dealing with photos.

I think you could do with taking a little time out to learn how to use the software. Your comments merely show that you don't understand the software or how to use it.
  • Reply 129 of 177
    mactelmactel Posts: 1,275member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by yensid98 View Post

Waiting six+ months to save $30 on a $1,000+ computer seems a bit silly to me. Would $30 really make that big a difference in the bank account? But to each their own. Like you said, you're in no rush to buy a new Mac.

I was planning to wait till November's Black Friday, but then I looked-up last year's Black Friday and the Mac Mini wasn't on sale. I feel the Mac Mini is a bit over priced unfortunately for me I want/need that form factor so I'm trying to save where I can. I'm on a budget and will stick to it. I know that's not the American way but I'm a rebel.
  • Reply 130 of 177
    echosonicechosonic Posts: 462member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

Yeah, at present, each of the iLife apps performs a pretty distinct function. iTunes is all about managing one's iContent. So, combining the iLife apps wouldn't really make sense.

what if "iLife" IS the app?

possible?
  • Reply 131 of 177
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jasonr94102 View Post

Again.. what would the average consumer need/want/use an animation app for?

The average consumer already uses photos, videos, music, etc... all the things currently considered in iLife. An animation application fits in the category of iOS App creator and iPaint...

Who would use it, for what, and why?

Who: Anyone who wants to do more than available with iPhoto/iMovie, but doesn't, yet, want the steep learning curve & price of FC.

What: for things like the links below (the last 2 are fairly large, so let them load for a while to get the animation effect):

Why: To be different; to add dimension to an otherwise static presentation; create something of value... It's art!

http://web.me.com/dicklacara/Misc/Go...d%20Lo-Res.mov

http://web.me.com/dicklacara/Misc/Wa...s%20Lo-Res.mov

http://web.me.com/dicklacara/Misc/Wi...y%20Lo-Res.mov

http://web.me.com/dicklacara/Misc/Sh...me H.264 2.mov

These are done mostly with Motion, iMovie and GarageBand from single still images.

I am definitely not artistic! I have a friend who: takes beautiful photos; writes and composes music; sings and plays the piano. She created most of the input media (music -- I just fiddled around to add some effects.

It is all a work-in-process... It's front-loaded in that there are lots of special effects crammed in, just to get a feel. Then there are long periods of black screen- scenes based on other photos (to be added later).

• Reply 132 of 177
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member

How about an app called iDraw [sic] that uses a Tabled device to:

-- create drawings

-- enter text (handwriting recognition)

-- touch up photos or videos videos

-- provide more direct control of other iLife Apps (than with mouse and keyboard)

The iDraw app on the Mac would use one of several tablet devices:

-- the existing TouchPads on Mac Laptops

-- the soon to be released new stand-alone TouchPads-like device

-- a multitouch mobile device (iPad, iPhone, or iPod Touch)

The tablet device could interface the Mac through USB, WiFi or BT.

The Tablet device could use the finger ,simple styles or pressure-sensitive stylus.

A self-contained version would run stand-alone on the iOS mobile devices.

• Reply 133 of 177
    Given that iLife is mostly a content creation suite, and I think HTML5 support will be added to iWeb, I figure the mystery app is all about making ePub based iBooks. Adobe is still a long way out on either front, so what a coup to have every new Mac on the planet able to create that content. Well executed self published iBooks for a small fee would be a huge change in the entire publishing industry. Kinda like iPhone apps really, the little guy can jump right in and make good money if the product is good.

Looking forward to the announcement, and the new iMac that will land at my house not long after.

Gordon
  • Reply 134 of 177
    allblueallblue Posts: 393member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GordonPrice67 View Post

Given that iLife is mostly a content creation suite, and I think HTML5 support will be added to iWeb, I figure the mystery app is all about making ePub based iBooks. Adobe is still a long way out on either front, so what a coup to have every new Mac on the planet able to create that content. Well executed self published iBooks for a small fee would be a huge change in the entire publishing industry. Kinda like iPhone apps really, the little guy can jump right in and make good money if the product is good.

Looking forward to the announcement, and the new iMac that will land at my house not long after.

Gordon

Could be. There is already an open source WYSIWYG ebook editor for Macs called Sigil if not!
  • Reply 135 of 177
    myapplelovemyapplelove Posts: 1,515member
    Will they drop support for ppc, something tells me that sadly they will.
  • Reply 136 of 177
    myapplelovemyapplelove Posts: 1,515member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GordonPrice67 View Post

Gordon

That would be great indeed Gordon, and a right coup as you said. I am uncertain as to whether they have taken the time to prepare such a thing, but if they have this will propel macs into even more people's homes and should sustain a very, very strong blow (and a seldomly discussed one) to the pc side of things and of course publishers.
  • Reply 137 of 177
    lowededwookielowededwookie Posts: 1,143member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Smiles77 View Post

So, my thoughts on the new app in descending order of likelihood.

1) iBooks - A new desktop application that will allow you to read and buy books from the iBookstore, or even your own imported epub books. This will be especially geared toward students, with options such as highlighting, notes, bookmarks, multiple books open simultaneously, and integrated dictionary and thesaurus. You might even be able to write your own ebook within the app, and publish it right to the iBookstore.

iBooks kind of doesn't make sense unless it creates eBooks as the importing can be done using iTunes already. Book creation would be more a Pages thing though so I'm really hoping for that actually because I need that sort of functionality for manuals I'm writing for our engineers.
  • Reply 138 of 177
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lowededwookie View Post

iBooks kind of doesn't make sense unless it creates eBooks as the importing can be done using iTunes already. Book creation would be more a Pages thing though so I'm really hoping for that actually because I need that sort of functionality for manuals I'm writing for our engineers.

A couple things to keep in mind...

1) There is no iBook reader for Mac, yet eBook distributors have their own Mac apps.

2) Apple often likes to start simple before expanding so they might through in an iBook reader as a placeholder for something bigger.

3) Apple recently updated iBooks to allow for interactive content over and above EPUB's capabilities. Perhaps that was to get their iBook format ready for an upcoming app with editor.
  • Reply 139 of 177
    dave k.dave k. Posts: 1,306member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pik80 View Post

A really think that Apple bought out Midnight App's Cha-Ching. Cha-Ching had one of the most promising interfaces for a financial app but then one day they just stopped development and the developers completely stopped communicating with anyone. I really have to wonder if they were bought out and they are just keeping quiet because of how Apple likes to keep things secret. Cha-Ching would be a very logical addition to iWork.

Cha-Ching appears to be alive and well...

http://www.midnightapps.com/
  • Reply 140 of 177
    pt123pt123 Posts: 696member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bregalad View Post

iPhoto was originally designed to use the file system to store content, but too many end users were going into the folders and moving/renaming/deleting/etc. stuff and screwing up their iPhoto libraries. So Apple went with the cryptic, everything in a single package, route to stop people from screwing up their libraries and then calling Apple for help.

If the single package was intended to stop people from accessing the photos, it wasn't too well done. The photos show up on the left side of windows under SEARCH FOR - All Images for users to easily rename and edit files.