Apple updates iMac line with Intel Core i3, i5 and i7 processors

Comments

• Reply 221 of 267
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by LewysBlackmore View Post

which Blu-ray isn't. Categorically. Most of the content creators I know have storage solutions that are far more robust than Blu-Ray will ever be. Blu-Ray is a consumer grade kludge of a storage solution built to support the resale of existing and sales of future content to the unsuspecting consumer. The fact that the format supports deeper storage is a tangential benefit, not built directly into the marketing profile or intentions of the format drivers. If you really need it buy an external and use it. But don't sully your commentary with claims of superiority that aren't merited for the format. It's primary purpose is to get you to buy over again previously purchased content and to drive licensing and use fees for the format drivers. Period. Any gain you realize beyond that is merely incidental.

And let's get real here - "Mac folks" as you so quaintly put it are increasingly average consumers - especially in the iMac series of devices, not the rabid content creators you allege. Yes, a lot of content creation happens on Macs - for good reason, but you are failing to recognize the primary reason for the device being configured the way it is - to offer a better computing experience to the average user. The same arguments were made when Apple dropped the floppy drive. And when Apple went with SCSI. And so on.

great post

apple did a very good up date job that put new buyers with very powerful machines that are all in one marvels

when you watch a movie you marvel at how great the screen is !!!!

any way thanks for a good post

• Reply 222 of 267
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by webwof View Post

I know this borders on being another thread, but..

It seems to me that the overwhelming discussion here about blu ray support

is about watching movies on computers.

This is not the issue really, Mac folks are in large part content creators.

The real need for BR is for back-up of large amounts of data ( on optical not motorized)

and the biggest issue is really this,

- a quote from previous poster-

"hi def video, what exactly are you supposed to do with your masterpiece? Break it up into little pieces and put it in DVD's? Share it with the Mobile Me web gallery?"

and this

"No other format delivers 45mbit 1080p video with lossless 7.1 audio."

Without ways to author a master Hi Def audiophile product on the Mac for the

1st time in Apple history Macs cannot author the content it creates!

what? have to buy windows to do this??..

take your project to someone with a PC..

unthinkable...

We need BRD to author and securely store large volumes of content.

Without this option Mac content creators are at a huge disadvantage..

Come on Steve... at least a BTO burner and a little support...

How tough can it be...

fuco blu ras

why can't you stop it . you sound insane reposting yourself topic after topic ,and yes 4 other assholes are hijacking the same topics as you . You made you stupid point .

move on

blu ray does not fit into a 22 in screen .

blu ray is not as good or as cheap as apple's HD

Better Cheaper open content encodings are coming from apple soon , And apple has 140 million itunes accounts . blu ray has how many.

And SCARY MOVIE 6 looks stupid on blu ray

so does mad men looks dumb on BD .

the horse is dead //

• Reply 223 of 267
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by danvid36 View Post

And that's exactly why I built my own and I have had zero issues with it and you always know that you can upgrade or change components without having to wait for X company to do it for you. I recently changed the mobo in order to use more and faster RAM and to gain onboard FW; a BR drive would be nice but I can always play those files using VLC and right now I just don't see the use for USB 3.0...

To each his own_if I were to buy an equivalent Mac Pro I would have spent almost twice the cost of this machine and as far as tech support when it comes to hardware I don't need it so as long as I can run OS X natively I am good to go...

why are you here

hackintosh forumis over there
  • Reply 224 of 267
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Zoolook View Post

Apple are STILL skimping on the GPU... despite Steam and other gaming platforms becoming more popular on Mac.

The 4670 is more than a generation old, and was an $80 GPU at the end of 2008. My 4890 in my self-built PC is at least 4x as fast in real world gaming, and is also almost 2 years old.

The 5670 is a little better (at least it's current gen) but it's still from the bargain bucket. Even the Mac Pro only has a 5770, which would lose in almost any (DX10/DX9) benchmark against my 2 year old 4890.

I understand the iMac is not supposed to be a high-end gaming rig and that heat could be an issue with really high end GPUs, but there needs to be a middle ground. I'd love to throw all in with an iMac and lose my PC tower, but GPU performance is important to me and Apple have ignored it, yet again.

The 5750 is a good GPU, but Apple plonked it into a machine that sports a 2560 x 1440 display, so it's going to choke. A 5770 will stuggle at that resolution, let alone a 5750 which has 10% fewer texture units and slower memory clock (meaning lower fill rate).

you wintels are so poorly made that they need super power chips to run any thing

mac does it right

my

mbp can run any game made on a mac dvd that you can

ANY AT high res.

HAVING fast refurbed parts from dell mean nothing when the whole game is slow and fat .

email any time dude .

any time
  • Reply 225 of 267
    finetunesfinetunes Posts: 2,065member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iBoogieBoard View Post

Blu-ray and USB 3.0 were a must for me to upgrade. They didn't appear, despite the rumors (recurring theme???) and that makes me annoyed. I am really surprised that they didn't even surface in the new Mac Pros, as an upgradable option. Hopefully this will come soon, as well to the Mac Minis, as I am holding off on getting one (want to use it as a media centre) until they have blu ray. I could just have an external blu ray drive, but where would be the fun in that???

Don't think that Blu-ray will happen any time soon so you're in for a long wait.
  • Reply 226 of 267
    finetunesfinetunes Posts: 2,065member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by John.B View Post

The 17" MBP still has the ExpressCard/34 slot.

Hope that they will return this to the upper end 15'MBP--seems that there is a need for for this for higher end users.
  • Reply 227 of 267
    pt123pt123 Posts: 696member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bartfat View Post

But you don't have to wait for 15 minutes for ads to start rolling before you watch your movie!

Please no complaints about advertisements. Advertisement is everywhere on iTunes.
  • Reply 228 of 267
    palegolaspalegolas Posts: 1,361member
    It sucks not being able to connect a high speed external SSD on macs. They're all bottlenecked by USB2 or FireWire. I have a feeling Apple is waiting and plan to support Light Peak big.
  • Reply 229 of 267
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by john galt View Post

The problem for me is that the Blu-Ray standard permits its playback hardware to take control away from the user. I would find that unacceptable in a computer. I don't want to be forced to disconnect my computer from the network or go through all sorts of other conniptions just to watch a movie. Given Apple's attention to detail - not to mention its desire for complete end-to-end control regarding the user experience - perhaps they're simply not willing to cede that much control to a standard over which they have absolutely no control.

You have a number of issues, none of which are a blu-ray issue.

Studios want these features, they will want to include these with digital downloads as well, this includes forced adverts
  • Reply 230 of 267
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by John.B

Does using an embiggened font somehow make your argument more compelling?

Or less...

Quote:
    Originally Posted by BigBillyGoatGruff

Does using cromulent words make your comment more snarky?

Well, it lets us wallow in our own crapulence.
  • Reply 231 of 267
    2.93GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7

4GB 1333MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 2x2GB

1TB Serial ATA Drive + 256GB Solid State Drive

8x double-layer SuperDrive

ATI Radeon HD 5750 1GB GDDR5 SDRAM

Apple Wireless Keyboard (English) & User's Guide

Magic Mouse

this is what i will buy once i drop my current 4yr old on the floor by mistake

all those nay sayers are so full of shit

this imac has a great screen

screaming fast cpu/gpu unclocked chips

and its instant on with ssd power .

4g ram too little ???

ok ok'

wow apple hits another small home run

next yr we will have face time i am sure and a whone new config

if you can wait by a whitenMB until ..../ facetime open cl and the rest come out

peace

go apple

• Reply 232 of 267
    'Crapulence.'

I dunno. That word does for me with the recent desktop 'updates.'

Side grade and price hikes.

Lemon Bon Bon.
  • Reply 233 of 267
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,860member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

Well, it lets us wallow in our own crapulence.

Crapulence is a real word:

Quote:

crapulent |ˈkrapyələnt|

adjective poetic/literary

of or relating to the drinking of alcohol or drunkenness.

DERIVATIVES

crapulence noun

crapulous |-yələs| adjective

ORIGIN mid 17th cent.: from late Latin crapulentus ?very drunk,? from Latin crapula ?inebriation,? from Greek kraipalē ?drunken headache.?

• Reply 234 of 267
    kotatsukotatsu Posts: 1,010member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by john galt View Post

Pardon me kotatsu from the UK, but "it's" means "it is", even here in the colonies. I take it the King's English is not your native language?

It's hard to imagine DRM implemented more completely than it has been with Blu-Ray.
    Alert the media! Apple abandons Blu-Ray! And the computer market! Altogether!

What an absurd statement.

Fortunately you're not me.

As for me, I'm laughing. At you.

Now I'm really laughing.

Wow, thanks Mr.Pedant, you're just swell!

As for BD DRM, there are countless BD players available from many manufacturers. Plus BD DRM is child's play to break. A world of difference from Apple DRM which locks your purchases down to a handful of devices. Surely you can see that? No? Fanboy glasses filtering out anything Steve doesn't like?

Too bad.
  • Reply 235 of 267
    kotatsukotatsu Posts: 1,010member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by LewysBlackmore View Post

So why does this matter to you - in particular? Do you in fact own a Mac of any class? Probably not. So why consistently come here to piss in the wheaties of the Apple users here? It doesn't make you look smarter, cleverer or more of a tech than anyone else. In fact there is a classic definition of insanity - repeating the same behavior over and over again, expecting a different result. The entire volume of your contributions do not offer any salient discussion, only continual criticism to an entirely unappreciative audience, with the odd exception of the average newbie who hasn't added you to the ignore list yet.

Your insistence that Blu-Ray is better is a personal opinion - that runs smack up against the wall of contrary user experience, not to mention the licensing and OP issues. And USB 3.0 is not a universal standard yet that has sufficiently mainstreamed to interest Apple enough to include it on this yearly update. There are not many devices out there that take advantage of it yet, so why bother - just to me-too the other PC makers that include it only to list it as a feature? Pretty silly reasoning.

E

Got it out of your system now?

As for owning a Mac, yes, I own a MacBook. So please, be quiet. Thanks,
  • Reply 236 of 267
    Apple's iMac performance page @ http://www.apple.com/imac/performance.html states:

"Now all iMac models come standard with Intel Core processors built on a new architecture. Based on Intel?s 32-nanometer process technology, these processors set new benchmarks for iMac performance."

and the tech spaces page @ http://www.apple.com/imac/specs.html says:

"2.93GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 processor with 8MB level 3 cache; supports Hyper-Threading and Turbo Boost"

Which actual Intel CPU is inside that is 2.93 base speed and is on the 32 nm process?

http://www.intel.com/consumer/produc...rei7-specs.htm

If it's an i7-870 (hyperthread, Turbo to 3.6 GHz, 2 channels, 16GB, 1333 support, 95W TDP), then it's a 45nm chip, unless Intel has re-tooled the same chip as a 32nm part? Or Apple has some bad data on the site there?

Intel has really made knowing which CPU is which a real PITA in the last few years, and of course, since Apple sometimes gets 'new and unusual gear', it's even trickier. Any input is appreciated!
  • Reply 237 of 267
    john galtjohn galt Posts: 960member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kotatsu

As for BD DRM, there are countless BD players available from many manufacturers.

My point exactly. Get one!

Quote:

Wow, thanks Mr.Pedant, you're just swell!

Excellent! Your spelling has already improved.
  • Reply 238 of 267
    ssquirrelssquirrel Posts: 1,196member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by guinness View Post

When I upgraded my 2007 C2D Mini to SL, it ran slower on some things, even after clearing out tons of space on the HD. I could do a clean install, but I shouldn't have to - I don't much of anything with it.

And I don't know if you can reliably get more than 3-4 years out of a computer anymore. If I wanted to get the most out of SL, like OpenCL, H.264 acceleration, I would have to buy a new Mac. It's less than 3 years old. Same thing with my PC, which was about 4 years old. Either SW or the OS will force an upgrade, especially with advances in GPGPU applications and other uses of the GPU/multi-core CPU's.

My last 2 PCs have lasted me 5 years with minimal alteration. Current system running strong after 2 1/2 years and I may not need to make any changes to make it last for 5 years.
  • Reply 239 of 267
    zoolookzoolook Posts: 657member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by brucep View Post

you wintels are so poorly made that they need super power chips to run any thing

mac does it right

my

mbp can run any game made on a mac dvd that you can

ANY AT high res.

HAVING fast refurbed parts from dell mean nothing when the whole game is slow and fat .

email any time dude .

any time

BS. I have 3 Macs, 2 iPhones and an iPad in my house... oh, and one Windows machine with an AMD/ATI combo (Phenom II and 4890)... so don't start your point by trying to label me.

Also, email ME when L4D2, or Fallout New Vegas comes out for the Mac via Steam and tell me how well it runs on an external monitor with 4xAA/16xAF and 1680*1050 or higher...

Mac games on Mac DVDs are not exactly cutting edge, so doesn't really prove anything. I'd like to see Macs run Steam games as well as they run on PCs, which means two things...

1) Far better drivers (they're awful right now, on the same hardware, Mac versions fo the games are always slower than they run under Windows. This is entirely down to APIs and drivers)

2) A better choice of hardware... yes, still sell the 5670 version of an iMac, but allow for something a little more powerful so people like me can finally be free of Windows.

It's now an unfortunate truth that Macs are the ones that need supercomputer chips to run anything properly...
  • Reply 240 of 267
    webpoet73webpoet73 Posts: 112member
    The i3 3.2GHz no longer shows that it supports Turbo Boost, as that goes along with what Intel has on their site.

Also, I read a big article on Anandtech that where they said.. "Turbo isn't really important for two cores, it's only with quad-core that it really starts to matter "

Almost to the point, they said that the i3 was a better value than the i5...

"There isn't a single Core i5 I'd recommend, but the i3s are spot-on."

(He is talking about the dual-core i5 processors, not the quad-core.)

Source: http://www.anandtech.com/show/2901/16

So, I wonder if the upgrade to the dual-core i5 is worth it or not.