Apple updates iMac line with Intel Core i3, i5 and i7 processors

1235714

Comments

  • Reply 81 of 267
    finetunesfinetunes Posts: 2,065member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ascii View Post


    That is new, these are the first iMac with SSD option. Prior to today, only the MBP and Xserve had SSD.



    I think that the MBA had the SSD option first.
  • Reply 82 of 267
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shubidua View Post


    Just wondering if it is worth to spend £200+ for 500GB, a slightly better graphics card and eventually an upgrade to the core i5.



    Eventually? Either you get the i3 or you get the i5.

    If you "eventually" want the i5, you will purchase a new computer.
  • Reply 83 of 267
    [oops...... deleted... wrong advice]
  • Reply 84 of 267
    finetunesfinetunes Posts: 2,065member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ChristophB View Post


    This rumor can't be true. The same MacBook hardware booting to Windows supports TRIM. Driver and filesystem needs a bit of work.



    -Chris



    Chris, I hope that you are correct. I run VM Fusion and Windows XP--which doesn't support TRIM as far as I know, but with the recent decision by MS regarding XP, maybe they might support TRIM in XP.
  • Reply 85 of 267
    svnippsvnipp Posts: 430member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ascii View Post


    I tried that with the original i7 iMac and ended up buying another PC tower 6 months later. I found that trying to turn an iMac in to a gaming machine just got me a noisy Mac and mediocre gaming performance. Separate boxes is the go.



    Not really for me. I'm no longer a high-end gamer, but I can run some pretty sweet stuff on my '08 Mac Pro like Dragon Age Origins. I went the single quad core route with the 8800 GT video option and upped it to 6GB of RAM. I have a single box that almost 2.5 years later runs fantastic. I haven't run anything on it yet that I've needed to turn down setting on to get smooth video performance.



    Someday soon I'll update the Windows partition to Win 7. My XP partition current runs like the 2.5 year old Windows install that it is. I've never had much luck with Windows performing well for much more than 6 months or so before needing a clean wipe and re-install. I'm sure if I install Win 7 and throw whatever the latest graphics crushing title is at it I'll see some performance issues, but short of that I think I'm in pretty good shape.
  • Reply 86 of 267
    slaqrslaqr Posts: 2member
    As the title says, 11 days ago (unaware of the refresh) I purchased the low end previous generation iMac (3.06gHz core 2 duo, 4gb ram, geforce 9400). It appears to me that apple charges a 10% restocking fee if a computer is returned within 14 days of the purchase date (please let me know if this is incorrect). Is it worth my money to return the previous generation in order to get the refreshed intel i3 generation? Aside from the processor upgrade and the graphical update, it seems like an irrelevant refresh.



    Any opinions on this please?
  • Reply 87 of 267
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,720member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by giosaccone View Post


    No USB 3.0



    Blame Intel.
  • Reply 88 of 267
    What a beautiful machine. Still have the original intel white 20" iMac....planning to go mobile with an iPad, iPhone 4 and an iPad 3Gs.



    But if business was good, I would pick one of these up in heart beat. Do see the rational of waiting for USB 3.0 though.



    Quick question: My daughter just got a MacBookPro but is still using an old non 'n' airport express.



    If I get her a new Express, would she see a noticeable difference in speed when online?



    Thanks guys.



    Best
  • Reply 89 of 267
    finetunesfinetunes Posts: 2,065member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post


    [oops...... deleted... wrong advice]



    Naw, never happens
  • Reply 90 of 267
    finetunesfinetunes Posts: 2,065member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by John.B View Post


    Blame Intel.



    Would Firewire 1600 and 3200 be supported by the new Intel chips?
  • Reply 91 of 267
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gypsyguy View Post


    That is funny, I could not find it on Apple's website or Intel's website. Turbo Boost is offered only for i5 and i7



    Read here.



    http://www.apple.com/imac/specs.html
  • Reply 92 of 267
    ruel24ruel24 Posts: 432member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by svnipp View Post


    I keep seeing this kind of argument and it never quite makes sense to me. The Mac product line continues to outsell itself quarter by quarter, so why wouldn't this continue to be a focus for Apple? I'm going out on a limb here, but I would guess that Apple has different development teams for Mac, iPad, iPod, etc. In fact, I would even guess that there is further differentiation at Apple in that there are most likely specific design teams for the MacBook, one for the iMac, another for the Mac Pro, etc.



    The Mac product line seems to be a cash cow for Apple. Why would Apple ever as a company decide to simply neglect this revenue stream? Are they simply starstruck with their own ingenuity over the iPad and iPhone? Do they really believe that the desktop computer is going the way of the dodo? Even if this were true, doesn't it make more sense for them to ride this cash cow all the way into the sunset rather than abandoning it before it's time? Especially with ever increasing sales?



    My guess is that once you start seeing USB 3.0 devices at BestBuy and WalMart you'll also see it in Macs. In fact, I'm pretty confident that you'll see it in Macs well before you can go into BestBuy and have anything other than one or two out of stock USB 3.0 drives. It's nice to have all the latest bells and whistles, but there is a point at which it simply doesn't make sense to throw in the bleeding edge just to say it's there.



    No one says they're completely ignoring it, nor are they abandoning it. The fact is that the iPhone is a halo product which gathers most of the press and public hype. The Mac does not.



    Apple once pushed technology in its Mac lineup. Now because there isn't a plethora of USB 3.0 devices is a reason not to equip them with it? There are plenty of devices already out there, and most motherboard manufacturers have already included the technology quite some time ago on their products. Laptops are slowly becoming more available with USB 3.0 as well.



    USB and PCI gained a foothold in the computer industry because the Mac lineup switched to those technologies way back when. Let's not forget other technologies like 64 bit OS, SSD... The Mac, as the high-end platform it is, has traditionally been rather avant garde in respect to technology. Now, it seems like it just flounders as of lately.



    I have no doubt that they have dedicated core development teams for each product, but I'm sure they also move around quite a bit of resources for development of different products. I seriously doubt that everyone that works on the iPhone and Mac works solely on the iPhone and Mac, respectively.
  • Reply 93 of 267
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wiggin View Post


    And what, exactly, are you going to connect to eSATA? Is it faster than FW800? Sure. But other than a fast RAID, which is still fairly uncommon for consumers to own, what peripheral are you going to connect that will take advantage of eSATA's speed? You might get a slight benefit if you have a very fast single external drive, but not enough to justify adding that new port.



    I asked for Firewire 1600, 3200 and USB 3.0 not eSATA. And of course having a faster connection helps backing up huge data, which is my problem.
  • Reply 94 of 267
    nkalunkalu Posts: 315member
    I have been holding back on a Mac desktop hoping for a Blu-ray drive some day soon.

    I am really disappointed to have to wait longer.
  • Reply 95 of 267
    ssquirrelssquirrel Posts: 1,196member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by John.B View Post


    I guess I'm surprised this didn't come with an HDMI out in addition to the mini-DP video/audio output.



    Since that's the case I wish Apple would, once and for all, sell a mini-DP -> HDMI cable (not an adapter or dongle) that supports audio.



    No matter, there is definitely a quad-core 27" iMac in my immediate future.



    Monoprice sells some cables that are MiniDP to HDMI, but they don't support audio. Does anyone sell those cables?





    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Zoolook View Post


    The 5670 is a little better (at least it's current gen) but it's still from the bargain bucket. Even the Mac Pro only has a 5770, which would lose in almost any (DX10/DX9) benchmark against my 2 year old 4890.



    Actually the 5670 is equal to the 4890, plus it's a DX11 part. I do agree that gaming should be more important to them with Steam on the platform now.





    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ascii View Post


    I am wondering if the i3 and i5 chips have integrated graphics that is being ignored by the OS, or if they are somehow variants without an IGP.



    They are the desktop versions. Only the mobile iX series has IGPs built in.
  • Reply 96 of 267
    ruel24ruel24 Posts: 432member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by John.B View Post


    Blame Intel.



    Why blame Intel? They couldn't use Via or or NEC controllers to implement it? Motherboards from Asus, MSI, Gigabyte, and others have had USB 3.0 on them for awhile now.
  • Reply 97 of 267
    aslan^aslan^ Posts: 599member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by slaqr View Post


    As the title says, 11 days ago (unaware of the refresh) I purchased the low end previous generation iMac (3.06gHz core 2 duo, 4gb ram, geforce 9400). It appears to me that apple charges a 10% restocking fee if a computer is returned within 14 days of the purchase date (please let me know if this is incorrect). Is it worth my money to return the previous generation in order to get the refreshed intel i3 generation? Aside from the processor upgrade and the graphical update, it seems like an irrelevant refresh.



    Any opinions on this please?



    I would return it and get the new one. If you find yourself locked out of some particular software feature in the future because of some obscure capability that was introduced with this current generation then you'll be kicking yourself.
  • Reply 98 of 267
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kishan View Post


    I would say that paying for 1080p video on 27 inches and paying for high-bitrate, multi channel audio through stereo computer speakers, is throwing your money away. If you want home theater experience, invest the money into a home theater. Otherwise, accept the fact that computers are to HD video as Kia's are to motoring!



    I don't understand your point. Do you mean that these compressed crap on iTunes stores are a waste of money ? Then we agree. I don't think Apple should sell them for 20 bucks when one could buy a Bu-ray movie well below 15 bucks these days. However, Apple is playing smart here by depriving users like me the opportunity to buy and play Blu-ray content on my MB and instead forcing me to buy that compressed crap on iTunes store. Of course I can play Blu-ray on my home theater and enjoy it, but if I can also play it on my Mac, it would a great utility. Besides I don't agree with your point that Apple cinema display and iMac are not good for playing Blu-ray. They are good enough and they should be complimented with the ability to play Blu-ray.
  • Reply 99 of 267
    crtcrt Posts: 5member
    For all the people disappointed with the lack of eSATA, Blu-ray, USB 3.0, etc., please let Apple actually know!



    http://www.apple.com/feedback/
  • Reply 100 of 267
    sector7gsector7g Posts: 155member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kotatsu View Post


    No USB 3, no eSATA, no Blu-Ray...



    Wow, that's absolutely laughable, especially at the price. Well at least I don't to find the money for a new PC for another 6 months at least, or I'll just go back to Dell.



    If you only care about specs Dell is always the way to go. This is a fine engneered computer.
Sign In or Register to comment.