Apple's unveils new Mac Pro desktop with up to 12 processing cores

15791011

Comments

  • Reply 121 of 210
    finetunesfinetunes Posts: 2,065member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post


    I've never heard of anything that severe in the articles discussing this. Source?



    Edit: I found one, Intel X25 is in that ballpark for write, that's pretty bad, worse than I thought it was. Still nowhere near the diagrams on OWC's site.



    http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/sto...ce-and-trim/13



    I have tried to ask some of the Mac magazines to have detailed articles discussing the advantages, disadvantages and management of SSD's. I started a thread to discuss some of the issues--thanks for your comments. We need to have more discussion groups regarding SSD's.
  • Reply 122 of 210
    finetunesfinetunes Posts: 2,065member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post


    If you intend to fill your drive once, and then just use it for reads, as with a drive devoted to music or video, that works great. Otherwise, it's a problem.



    But drives with Sandforce controllers have less of a problem with this. Apple does have some trim in the OS now, but it doesn't work. Hopefully updates with the new computers will include trim.



    Started thread regarding SSD's would appreciate comments or expansion on this topic. Thanks
  • Reply 123 of 210
    aizmovaizmov Posts: 989member
    When will Apple grace us with a new case design for the Mac Pro?
  • Reply 124 of 210
    natesfnatesf Posts: 13member
    "...and with over a billion possible configurations, our customers can create exactly the system they want."



    I think Phil must have had some Reality Distortion Puff for breakfast this morning. A billion! Okay, the iPad may be magical but a billion configuration options.

  • Reply 125 of 210
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by natesf View Post


    "...and with over a billion possible configurations, our customers can create exactly the system they want."



    I think Phil must have had some Reality Distortion Puff for breakfast this morning. A billion! Okay, the iPad may be magical but a billion configuration options.





    What he meant to say is that for each BTO configuration we make more money (off you dumb fu**ers) which adds to our billions and zillions in profit.
  • Reply 126 of 210
    mcarlingmcarling Posts: 1,106member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JoeDyndale View Post


    I expected Apple to support 8GB RAM modules, but apparently they only support 1GB, 2GB and 4GB modules. Anyone know why?



    It depends on the chipset. It seems like the new Mac Pro is still using the X58 chipset used in the 2009 Mac Pro. Can anyone confirm that?



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macmeister92 View Post


    6 core @ 3.33ghz seems like the sweet spot



    I agree -- especially due to the 1333MHz RAM.
  • Reply 127 of 210
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post


    I still think AMD would have been better in the low end. The W3530 2.8GHz CPU costs $323 and scores 4,964 here:



    http://www.cpubenchmark.net/high_end_cpus.html



    The 3.2GHz AMD X6 1090T scores 6,080 (22% faster) and costs $295.



    Maybe the Intel one is more efficient though. Performance per watt is more important to Apple than raw performance and I wouldn't criticize that.



    It's good to see a bump in the entry GPU for the same price, 3DMark scores are:



    GT120 = 5431

    R5770 = 7604



    No double floating point precision support in the 5770 though.



    Totally expected update, no innovation, no redesign, no real thought put into it whatsoever and still high pricing.



    Yeh, Marv'.



    'No real thought.'



    Except the sheer creativity put into using 'last year's' tech' into machines that cop a price rise across the board. Bargin bin specs with recession defying prices. Where did the Apple go that used to give its customers price breaks?



    The gpus stink. Rebadged Ati cards. Even the 'top of the line' is a mediocre mid range card that can barely out muscle the 4850 on 'some' benches. And the 4850 must be dirt cheap by now. It could have been included as standard on all iMacs.



    i3s. Dual core. Yeesh. Quad core has been mainstream since 2007. Apple are still p*ssing about with quad core as BTO for the i7 which has been on the market for how many years now?



    And, seeing as this threat is about the 'pro'. Gawd...guys...GUYS(!) what are Apple doing here?



    £2k for a quad core. *Looks. In 2010. With p*ss poor gpu performance?



    "the ATI Radeon HD 5770 with 1GB of GDDR5 memory comes as standard. It not only provides faster performance compared to previous Mac Pro standard graphics cards ? it?s also faster than the top-of-the-line graphics cards in the previous generation."



    Heh. After 1.5 years...they have the cheek to come out with hyperbole like that? BS and Spin.



    And another price rise for dual cpus.



    Apple. Increasingly cynical approach to the Mac market.



    Lemon Bon Bon.
  • Reply 128 of 210
    avidfcpavidfcp Posts: 381member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aliensporebomb View Post


    My G5 2.5 dual benched 2312.



    Here's what my iMac Corei7 (not today's refresh but previous) benches:







    High end Mac Pros (current refresh) average bench is 15,000.



    The 12-core models? Expect a lot more than that.



    The other thing that I wanted to talk about: all of the people kvetching for USB3 = what devices are available on USB3 that you can't live without? Seriously.



    Wecall know google is coming out with something soon. What I would like to see is a departure from browser only OS plus all the apps they have and starr releasng systems that are HCL complientb with osx86 as osx86 is now at a point where they have a script that allows you to install retail mac os X as well as updates then you would have access to lots of apple software at the same time nvidia boards, blue Ray etc. Thevprosumer market from audio video and gaming surpasses pro

    users like 10 to 1. Just gamers alone make up more than music and movie rentals like by 60%, think of how many systems would sell if you could throw mac osx on their. Thats the key. Offer hardware that is compatible, taking the guess work outvand point to osx86 and a lot of machines would be built:sold. No sweet spot for rosumer and iMac just doesn't cut it. No room for fx/audio cards ala pci cards. Peace.
  • Reply 129 of 210
    futuristicfuturistic Posts: 599member
    Don't quite get all this whinge-ing about the case. I think it's one of the best cases ever designed. You can upgrade RAM, HDs, PCI without tools, and without running the risk of major bloodletting. It's almost idiot-proof. I say almost because true idiots always seem to find a way.



    It's not that the designers are slacking off, it's that they got it right 8 years ago (or whenever this case was made), which is eons in the computer world. And because this is a workstation-class beast, you want something that's gonna last.



    This is merely an update/speed bump to keep the inventory moving. The Mac Pros haven't gotten any love for a while, and so Apple needed to do something to remind us that they're still making Mac Pros. I'll bet that LightPeak, FW 1600/3200 and USB 3.0 are just around the bend (relatively speaking)—perhaps next year. THAT'S when they'll do their big "...one more thing..." Steve-note blitz.
  • Reply 130 of 210
    ssquirrelssquirrel Posts: 1,196member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by natesf View Post


    "...and with over a billion possible configurations, our customers can create exactly the system they want."



    I think Phil must have had some Reality Distortion Puff for breakfast this morning. A billion! Okay, the iPad may be magical but a billion configuration options.





    I did some math and looking at the Mac Pro options available, I come up with a total of 863,136 possible combinations. That's under a million, which is certainly less than a billion. Now if he's talking about their entire lineup, not just the Mac Pros, then yes there are certainly over a billion possible configurations spread between the Apple line. of products.



    If you look at the configuration screen and check the dropdowns, if you have 2 options, then another 2, 3 and 2 more, you have 24 possible configurations. So he really might not be using any RDF, just math
  • Reply 131 of 210
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SSquirrel View Post


    I did some math and looking at the Mac Pro options available, I come up with a total of 863,136 possible combinations. That's under a million, which is certainly less than a billion. Now if he's talking about their entire lineup, not just the Mac Pros, then yes there are certainly over a billion possible configurations spread between the Apple line. of products.



    If you look at the configuration screen and check the dropdowns, if you have 2 options, then another 2, 3 and 2 more, you have 24 possible configurations. So he really might not be using any RDF, just math



    Did you only use the Mac Pro HW options or all the SW, support and peripheral configuration options?
  • Reply 132 of 210
    ssquirrelssquirrel Posts: 1,196member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post


    Did you only use the Mac Pro HW options or all the SW, support and peripheral configuration options?



    Since the new Mac Pros are not in the store yet, we could assume it would have all of the same software options, but I didn't. This was strictly hardware combinations from the Mac Pro's Tech Specs page.
  • Reply 133 of 210
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gariba View Post


    no nVidia cards no CUDA GPU processing...

    Bad for imaging...



    Doesn't Snow Leopard have OpenCL and GCD for that? In theory, Apple should provide support for that in any video cards they sell. If you really want to code in CUDA, you can always add an nvidia card to the Mac Pro.
  • Reply 134 of 210
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Aizmov View Post


    When will Apple grace us with a new case design for the Mac Pro?



    Lol. When cosmetics becomes important to the serious math, science, technical, and industrial users.
  • Reply 135 of 210
    It comes down to one thing: Adobe Creative Suite 5 with an nVidia GPU blows Final Cut Studio out of the water. So to combat this, Apple releases their first Mac Pro (or Power Mac G5, for that matter) that doesn't have a nVidia GPU -- even as a build-to-order option. They have NEVER done this before. This is not a coincidence.



    If anyone's interested, I have a longer take on this here:



    http://nofilmschool.com/2010/07/appl...-new-mac-pros/
  • Reply 136 of 210
    kwatsonkwatson Posts: 95member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrr View Post


    Gee.

    I waited a YEAR AND A HALF

    and what did I get?

    Barely a SPEED BUMP.



    Meh



    Me too. Already sent all my server purchases (waiting waiting for Xserve) to Dell. Now gonna do the same for my workstation. Bye Apple; I'll just get an iPhone, that's all you want from me.
  • Reply 137 of 210
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kwatson View Post


    Me too. Already sent all my server purchases (waiting waiting for Xserve) to Dell. Now gonna do the same for my workstation. Bye Apple; I'll just get an iPhone, that's all you want from me.



    Apple should introduce something really useful for all the incessant whiners.



  • Reply 138 of 210
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Outsider View Post


    Apple should introduce something really useful for all the incessant whiners.



    image: http://s153350075.onlinehome.us/wahhh.jpg



  • Reply 139 of 210
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 31,961member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rbilsbor View Post


    It comes down to one thing: Adobe Creative Suite 5 with an nVidia GPU blows Final Cut Studio out of the water. So to combat this, Apple releases their first Mac Pro (or Power Mac G5, for that matter) that doesn't have a nVidia GPU -- even as a build-to-order option. They have NEVER done this before. This is not a coincidence.



    If anyone's interested, I have a longer take on this here:



    http://nofilmschool.com/2010/07/appl...-new-mac-pros/



    You don't need Nvidia for this. Cuda isn't everything, and both ATI and Nvidia support OpenCL.
  • Reply 140 of 210
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post


    Lol. When cosmetics becomes important to the serious math, science, technical, and industrial users.



    Mac desktop cases have been the same since the Blue Smurf G3 tower basically. Why? They are awesome. I can't tell you how many times I've cursed at PC towers for having no friggin' handles. And you need like 12 different screwdrivers to open them and you still end up looking like you just came out from a streetfight. The case is great. What's in it...meh. Ripoff in terms of price. But it's still a Mac. Also if they are adding SSDs for such insanely expensive systems...Where is TRIM!?
Sign In or Register to comment.