Apple releases second beta of iOS 4.1 to developers

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 39
    sessamoidsessamoid Posts: 182member
    I haven't noticed any speed difference with iOS 4 as compared to 3.x on my iPhone 3G. I don't understand what all the complaining is about.
  • Reply 22 of 39
    All the 3G iPhone owners will you stop complaining please! I'm sick of it upgrade your damn hardware already. You bitch and moan the 3G doesn't even fully support ios4 and you dimwads still updated. Go buy a 3GS or something
  • Reply 23 of 39
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Flash_beezy View Post

All the 3G iPhone owners will you stop complaining please! I'm sick of it upgrade your damn hardware already. You bitch and moan the 3G doesn't even fully support ios4 and you dimwads still updated. Go buy a 3GS or something

"Wah wah wah, yes, Apple released a buggy and bloated version of iOS. Buy new hardware and deal with it."
  • Reply 24 of 39
    My model of Jawbone is an Icon. It worked perfectly on my old 3G but now functions poorly with my iPhone 4.
  • Reply 25 of 39
    iPhone 3G became noticeably slow when 3.0 came out. You would have only noticed this then if you had used the 3G back in the 2.0 days and had upgraded to 3.0. 4.0 did slow it down a little more but the truth is the 3G has been slow since 3.0. Period. That is why the Spotlight trick makes sense. No doubt RAM plays a role too. If you want your 3G to run smooth, run 2.2.1.

Personally, I'd upgrade to the new iPhone 4. All of the previous iPhones are outdated - including the 3GS. This is coming from a guy who has owned each version of the iPhone since it debuted in Summer 2007.

so my iOS suggestions per iPhone version are:

iPhone (original) - stick with 2.2.1 for optimal performance or run 3.x with Spotlight Search disabled

iPhone 3G - stick with 2.2.1 for optimal performance or run 3.x or 4.x with Spotlight Search disabled

iPhone 3GS - run latest iOS 4.x for optimal performance

iPhone 4 - run latest iOS 4.x for optimal performance
  • Reply 26 of 39
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Flash_beezy View Post

Mate - there are those of us who have to pay full price for the phone. It's a hellufalot different whether you just tie yourself to AT&T for another 24month, pay a buck and get a new phone or actually having to trapse down to the store, shell out 639 € [that is 829$ BTW] and get a new phone. Sorry but if this were a 50$ a pop phone, no issues, but my 3G still has to last for at least another year.

So have a reality check before you start trolling and insulting others
  • Reply 27 of 39
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by freelander51 View Post

Mate - there are those of us who have to pay full price for the phone. It's a hellufalot different whether you just tie yourself to AT&T for another 24month, pay a buck and get a new phone or actually having to trapse down to the store, shell out 639 ? [that is 829$ BTW] and get a new phone. Sorry but if this were a 50$ a pop phone, no issues, but my 3G still has to last for at least another year.

Your also talking to a guy who's also owned every gen of the iPhone so I'll keep insulting kthnx bi
  • Reply 28 of 39
    mcarlingmcarling Posts: 1,106member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by applebjesus View Post

iOS 3.1 was released during the Apple music event last year, September 9, 2009. I expect iOS 4.1 will be released during that same event in September of this year.

That's what I'm expecting.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

Actually if the beta testers see any sign of this release being iPad compatible let us know.

My assumption is that iOS 4.1 will support the iPad, but it would be nice to have confirmation.
  • Reply 29 of 39
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by eAi View Post

Does it improve performance on the 3G? Mine is almost unusable it's so slow. I frequently have safari hang on me for 20-30 seconds, apps frequently quit repeatedly when starting up (lack of memory I guess) and everything is just universally slow.

Ditto

3g needs some major help or a simple safe way to downgrade

to3.x

and hurry
  • Reply 30 of 39
    noirdesirnoirdesir Posts: 1,027member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by WaruiKoohii View Post

"Wah wah wah, yes, Apple released a buggy and bloated version of iOS. Buy new hardware and deal with it."

I have a 3G myself and very much feel the pain but it is not that Apple is forcing us to use iOS 4. Downgrading to 3.1 is pretty simple. So, Apple gives a choice of combined inbox and folders but slower, or continue with 3.1. An iPhone 3G running 3.1.3 is not running any slower than it ran a month or half a year ago.
  • Reply 31 of 39
    noirdesirnoirdesir Posts: 1,027member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NOFEER View Post

Ditto

3g needs some major help or a simple safe way to downgrade

Downgrade is pretty simple:

a:Get 3.1.3, eg, from here: http://board.macnotes.de/6-iphone-un...0-2-2-1-3-0-a/

b: Connect your iPhone to the computer,

c: Press and hold both the home button and the on/off switch, wait until the screen goes black (after a brief interval of the red slider)

d: Release the on/off switch but keep the home button pressed, after a few seconds a message in iTunes should pop up,

e: Press 'Restore' while pressing alt and select the OS version of choice

f: Download RecBoot from here and run it to leave the restore mode.
  • Reply 32 of 39
    ivan.rnn01ivan.rnn01 Posts: 1,822member
    It's a flash-mob. Scum is plainly and simply banned on Apple Support boards without entering long discussions.
  • Reply 33 of 39
    boogabooga Posts: 1,082member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Green N Silver View Post

I am very surprised that I am not seeing more people having issues with bluetooth connections. My Jawbone is now rendered useless by my new iPhone 4. It always worked fine with my original iPhone and my 3G. My new phone keeps dropping the connection to the bluetooth. When I get in my car my phone stays connected to the ear piece and also connects to my car.

In one car the connection works, in the other it is so garbled it is unusable. I spoke to Apple and they acted as if they had never heard this was an issue.

I have reset my phone and found no difference.

I love my new phone and I feel pretty certain that software updates will fix my problem but I do not like being a beta tester for what should be a finished product. It surprises me that this went undiscovered.

I hope that Apple is able to address this issue with 4.1

Bluetooth seems to work great for me with my VW Jetta's built-in hands-free. Have never had a dropped call or any problem. While I don't doubt you're having problems, I don't see them as being very widespread or necessarily something Apple would necessarily have caught.
  • Reply 34 of 39
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    There ate so many other small bugs in iOS, I doubt Apple will ever fix.
  • Reply 35 of 39
    svnippsvnipp Posts: 430member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by freelander51 View Post

Mate - there are those of us who have to pay full price for the phone. It's a hellufalot different whether you just tie yourself to AT&T for another 24month, pay a buck and get a new phone or actually having to trapse down to the store, shell out 639 ? [that is 829$ BTW] and get a new phone. Sorry but if this were a 50$ a pop phone, no issues, but my 3G still has to last for at least another year.

Not to be insensitive to your situation or anything, but if I can make it over to Ireland next year after I upgrade to next summer's iPhone I may just try and remember to bring my 16GB 3GS along with me. Who knows. I might still be able to get a few hundred pounds for it then. Be extra spending money on vacation.
  • Reply 36 of 39
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by svnipp View Post

Not to be insensitive to your situation or anything, but if I can make it over to Ireland next year after I upgrade to next summer's iPhone I may just try and remember to bring my 16GB 3GS along with me. Who knows. I might still be able to get a few hundred pounds for it then. Be extra spending money on vacation.

Other than the fact that the Irish gave up the Punt (Pound was the english dicition) for the Euro, this could indeed be a good idea.

At the moment they retail at about 350€ (450$) on eBay, so next year you probably will fetch in the roundabouts of 200€/260$ for it. Better than leaving it in the drawer.....Sláinte
  • Reply 37 of 39
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by noirdesir View Post

I have a 3G myself and very much feel the pain but it is not that Apple is forcing us to use iOS 4. Downgrading to 3.1 is pretty simple. So, Apple gives a choice of combined inbox and folders but slower, or continue with 3.1. An iPhone 3G running 3.1.3 is not running any slower than it ran a month or half a year ago.

Keep in mind, however, that an iPhone 3G running 3.1.3 is significantly less secure than an iPhone 3G running iOS 4.x.

Apple is getting flak for not allowing iOS4 on the original iPhone not because of features primarily, but because some severe security issues were found in 3.1.3.
  • Reply 38 of 39
    hal 9000hal 9000 Posts: 101member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mcarling View Post

That's what I'm expecting.

My assumption is that iOS 4.1 will support the iPad, but it would be nice to have confirmation.

UPDATE THE IPAD OS NOW!!!!!!!! AUGHHHHH!!!
  • Reply 39 of 39
    razorpitrazorpit Posts: 1,796member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by WaruiKoohii View Post

Keep in mind, however, that an iPhone 3G running 3.1.3 is significantly less secure than an iPhone 3G running iOS 4.x.

Apple is getting flak for not allowing iOS4 on the original iPhone not because of features primarily, but because some severe security issues were found in 3.1.3.

What doesn't make sense to me is that other than the radio aren't the original and 3G the same? My guess is there is a lot of software work that has to be done to make iOS4 work on the older 2G only radio. With such a limited number of them still in use it doesn't make financial sense to spend the resources on it. Lets face it, three years on a phone like this is an eternity. Even two years is pushing the edge. Even though I'm planning on upgrading to an iPhone 4, I wish Apple would have just left the 3G off the upgrade path and said that it doesn't have the horsepower to run iOS4.

--Dave